Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,565 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu (15737 Views)

Budget, Agriculture Ministers Fault Subsidy Removal, Floating Of Naira / 10 Companies That Shutdown Over Worsening Economy / Sowore: "You Owe Nigerians An Explanation’ – Sagay Tells DSS Over Re-arrest Of A (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by casualobserver: 4:38pm On Feb 22
Dbegining:

For the fact that you can say this means you don't know jack about what's going on.

Cause eery sensible person with a single iota of sense knows that subsidy is back.

Just shut up would you??!

clearly you are a product of a failed education system. i said he need to remove subsidy which implies i know subsidy is back.

1 Like

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by casualobserver: 4:41pm On Feb 22
NaijaCrusader:
The country is dangerous of becoming a failed state and you are talking and asking of what is sustainable. What is unsustainable at the moment is hyper inflation that we have in the society now which is driven by the very weak and unstable naira. Nigeria can still borrow money quote me any day on that in fact last week the FG put in a request with the Senate to borrow more. What has brought the nation to this horrific point is a lot of things and I can mention just a few but is is way more than what I can mention in this space things like Nepotism, incompetence,lack of vision, bloated and padded budgets, ineffective checks and balances in the three arms of the government, corrupt or failed judiciary, extravagant looting and spending by government officials,corruption at almost every level,the list is almost endless but the bottom line is still incompetent leaders.
Now you must preserve the state to be able to save it,if the naira continues to fail in less than three months the banking sector will fail,people will be queueing for their money in long queues to get cash that will lose value the moment the leave the bank. What do you think will happen? One or two the hardship will become unbearable and the demonstrations will be uncontrollable and the military will take over or different armed groups will take over don't call me a prophet when these things begin to happen and happen but I can call them looking at recent and old history and I can do that because I am educated and exposed,practical and pragmatic

quote author=casualobserver post=128590510]

Borrowing to subsidize petrol and defend the Naira is what is unsustainable, it is what led us here. Why are you people so daft? Did you not go to school? Is it that hard to explain to you? We were borrowing to subsidize forex and petrol…nobody is willing to lend us money anymore so we have to remove subsidies. When was the last time you heard the Chinese lent us money?

Mr Expert, please tell me where the government is supposed to get the money to pay for fuel subsidies or to defend the naira so that you can continue to consume imported food? Simple question! I agree with you but tell me where the money for subsisy and to defend the naira is supposed to come from?

You epeople dont seem to understand there is no oney left because we have been living a false life, so bad that we were borrowing for the last 8 years to defend the naira and subsidize petrol. if we had to borrow to pay subsidies and defend the Naira and no one wants to lend us anymore, please tell us where the money for subsidy and to defend the Naira is to come from?

Did you people not hear when they said we were using 95% of our income to pay debts and were borrowing to pay salaries and subsidies under Buhari?

...or is it that you were not paying attention when we were told that to pay salaries and subsidy under Buhari, a major portion of the Oil we are producing now and in the future, had been sold under the last administration, the money collected and spent?

3 Likes

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Splashme: 4:47pm On Feb 22
Terrible
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Dbegining: 4:50pm On Feb 22
casualobserver:

clearly you are a product of a failed education system. i said he need to remove subsidy which implies i know subsidy is back.

I'm not in for childish tantrums today so, I'll take it easy on you and your English teacher.

You made three contradicting statements
1: he should remove subsidy
2: who will advocate for return of subsidy (even when the government that removed it started paying it again)
3: he should sustain the reforms

You asked who will advocate for the return of subsidy and that he should sustain the reforms when subsidy is back. So which reforms are you sustaining. And nobody advocated for return of subsidy. The reforms that you are confidently praising is what flopped the subsidy removal.

I mean, you as a product of a good educational system should know that the reason subsidy is back is that the economy cannot handle buying fuel as high as 1200/litre.

Be thankful. Be very thankful. I don't want to show your stupidity to the world today.

1 Like

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by casualobserver: 4:59pm On Feb 22
Dbegining:

I'm not in for childish tantrums today so, I'll take it easy on you and your English teacher.

2: who will advocate for return of subsidy (even when the government that removed it started paying it again)

You asked who will advocate for the return of subsidy and that he should sustain the reforms when subsidy is back. So which reforms are you sustaining. And nobody advocated for return of subsidy. The reforms that you are confidently praising is what flopped the subsidy removal.

I mean, you as a product of a good educational system should know that the reason subsidy is back is that the economy cannot handle buying fuel as high as 1200/litre.

Be thankful. Be very thankful. I don't want to show your stupidity to the world today.

Let me explain something to you. We have used up all our lifelines. The economy will sustain even N3000 liter if that is where petrol gets to. The country will sustain whatever level the Naira gets to because at the stage we are right now, we have more or less lost the ability to shape our destiny in the short term due to the recklessness and indulgence of the past by both leaders and the citizens and if it doesn’t then it doesn’t. You talk as if we have choices....we dont!!!

we 1) can’t afford to subsidize petrol or forex.

So if you had any sense, you will start to change your consumption habits.

I don’t think you people get it. When other countries are very militant about protecting local jobs and consuming local products this is why. We have been living on borrowed time for decades now it is the time of reckoning, the time to pay.

If you like be playing politics and blame game. We are where we are and there is nothing anyone can do especially if you refuse to change your consumption habits and your entitlement mentality to foreign products.

The one thing I blame this govt for is the insensitivity in the conspicuous consumption of foreign luxury items (especially Jeeps) at this time. Very insensitive and an own goal. But be under no illusion there is no way out of this but pain. I have said it many times, pain is the only way people change their habits.

3 Likes

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by RALPHOW(m): 5:06pm On Feb 22
Beneficiaries of the evil racketeering will surely fight back.
Asiwaju must not bow to the Cabals!
We must stop eating our tomorrow today,
it's time everyone go back to farm and plant what you and your family will eat.
If we eat what we plant, dollar will come down by itself,
we don't need dollar to plant Maize, yam , tomatoes and cassava

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by lastkingsman: 5:32pm On Feb 22
BigDawsNet:
Mr Obi should pls borrow us his master plan... seems this current gov do not hav 1 single idea how to run an economy

Tinubu is not aware of anything and lacks the capacity to run Nigeria right now. That's the issue. He running the admin with sycophants who are deceiving him and cashing out big time.

At the end of the day, they know pretty well na Tinubu name everybody go dey call and not them. And what can you do to Tinubu (an old man that's 85yrs+)? Nothing
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Riskymarvelous(m): 5:42pm On Feb 22
How you go give adelabu wey read accountant for school minister of power Mouh nah help me ask tinubu abeg
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Akpatan: 5:43pm On Feb 22
Transition in government, buhari does! Tinibula just warming up... Baba God as a mata of urgency give us our daily bread day to day..
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by bentenny(m): 5:54pm On Feb 22
Apc paid minions go soon research to discover whether Sagay father from east so dat them fit label am Ipo.b.😄😄😄
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Zetty177x: 6:21pm On Feb 22
Tinubu received the advice from World Bank. Can u imagine that?
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Iamzik: 6:23pm On Feb 22
casualobserver:
Tinubu needs to sustain the Naira float, it will settle where it settles. He should remove subsidy. All these people panicking because there is difficulty only show why successive governments have led to this point. They don’t have the balls to do the right thing. What kind of person is advocating g a return of subsidies either Forex or petrol?

You cannot change your life without pain. If it costs him his second term so be it but he needs to sustain the reforms.

This nation can never get better with people who think like this. Don't worry when one dollar becomes 5000 and you can't buy food anymore your brain will reset
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by casualobserver: 6:32pm On Feb 22
Iamzik:

This nation can never get better with people who think like this. Don't worry when one dollar becomes 5000 and you can't buy food anymore your brain will reset

On the contrary it is daft people like you who fail to u derstand that a nation that cannot feed itself is in trouble. I know you are a poor man because you think like one. therefore, You have no business eating imported food, therefore the value of the dollar is really not your business. The country is in a mess because people who should be eating yam, Eva, Amaka, akara, ogi feel they have an entitlement to eat imported rice or bread made with imported wheat. This is despite the fact that we are the largest cassava producer in the world and we can turn cassava into flour for bread but subsidized imported wheat has not allowed our cassava processing industries to take off. So we import wheat and export jobs to wheat producing countries. And yet 1diots like you don’t get it!!!

If N5000 to a dollar is what it takes for you to rest your brain and abandon foreign foods, if N5000 is what it takes for you to abandon foreign flour and patronize local flour made from Cassava, then that is where we are heading. It is in your hands. If you like patronize foreign goods and foods if you like look inwards and patronize local. The days when government can indulge you are gone, there is no money!!!

2 Likes

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by eteba(m): 6:41pm On Feb 22
Naira floatation should never have happened, it was never ever going to be in our own interest,as a country.
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by uba1991: 6:51pm On Feb 22
First class accountant is fighting dollar with guns. Hahahaaaaaa! Very confused president.
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by advanceDNA: 7:15pm On Feb 22
Dbegining:

U have time...
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by advanceDNA: 7:18pm On Feb 22
eteba:
Naira floatation should never have happened, it was never ever going to be in our own interest,as a country.

He ddnt do it in our interest.... He did it in his own interest....He needs to borrow more money from the IMF....because that the only source of getting money .....so he has do wateva IMF says in repaying part of our loan and perhaps, before he can get more....
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Mandate1: 8:45pm On Feb 22
Image123:
Lol. It's like telling the pilot that you're no longer going when the plane don take off.
Let's see the first to blink is the best move. FG should make sure that they follow the fall bumper to bumper with the parallel market.
It is been said earlier and i think i also read it/heard it elsewhere. Proper monitoring of banks and BDCs is key. Monitor EVERY transaction like a hawk, let there be transparency. Use cameras. Who is transferring and collecting what and for what purpose and to where. These must be clear to have headway. The government MUST mandate 247 videos of transactions at the banks and BDCs.
simple task as fixing electricity our govt can't do. Na dis kind technicality u wan give them. Keep playing sir
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Mase2020g(m): 9:16pm On Feb 22
Frigga13:
Anything that will work .. is welcomed

Asiwaju must listen to proven advice... not those talking and ranting for foolishness sake

Nigeria must get right ..

Disgraceful youth
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Coolgent(m): 9:20pm On Feb 22
Emilokam economy, same with Obasanjoa tenure
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Johnjustice: 7:07am On Feb 23
JuanDeDios:

I'm not against social intervention. I've recommended zero-tariff food imports to tackle the current food situation. I also never supported FUEL SUBSIDY REMOVAL without certain things done first. But I've always campaigned against forex subsidies because the real sector mostly buys at black market rates anyway - forex subsidies mostly benefit hajj travelers, those paying school fees and people with high connections who engage in arbitrage. The irony is that you people (because you can't see beyond your noses) think the current naira situation is due to floating, when it is not. You've swallowed a lie. I hope the government doesn't' cave in and return the dual market for the billionnaires already waiting in the wings to continue cashing out.
We know hoarding of USD, lack of Nigerian exports, chronic importation etc, are part of the problems, floating is not the root cause, but floating without dealing with the root causes is a disaster. The floating will cripple the economy, because prices of goods will be out of reach of the greater number... because for now we are dependent on dollars for all our imports. The president should join BRICS or fashion similar trade organizations with trade partners or find new international trade partners, to pay for goods and services with local currency.

1 Like

Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by Iamzik: 11:01pm On Feb 26
casualobserver:

On the contrary it is daft people like you who fail to u derstand that a nation that cannot feed itself is in trouble. I know you are a poor man because you think like one. therefore, You have no business eating imported food, therefore the value of the dollar is really not your business. The country is in a mess because people who should be eating yam, Eva, Amaka, akara, ogi feel they have an entitlement to eat imported rice or bread made with imported wheat. This is despite the fact that we are the largest cassava producer in the world and we can turn cassava into flour for bread but subsidized imported wheat has not allowed our cassava processing industries to take off. So we import wheat and export jobs to wheat producing countries. And yet 1diots like you don’t get it!!!

If N5000 to a dollar is what it takes for you to rest your brain and abandon foreign foods, if N5000 is what it takes for you to abandon foreign flour and patronize local flour made from Cassava, then that is where we are heading. It is in your hands. If you like patronize foreign goods and foods if you like look inwards and patronize local. The days when government can indulge you are gone, there is no money!!!

You sound so pained with the epistle you wrote up there. You seem to be having buyer remorse....the bad governance and clueless policies are getting to you already grin grin

People like you who voted this disaster will be the ones to feel the heat. Continue supporting rubbish. 8 years is still very far. When Tinubu is done with you and your family your brain will reset automatically
Re: Worsening Economy: Stop Floating Of Naira Immediately, Sagay Tells Tinubu by GeneralDae: 12:19pm On Mar 05
BigDawsNet:
Mr Obi should pls borrow us his master plan... seems this current gov do not hav 1 single idea how to run an economy
This is Obi's master plan. Similar to the language of Cardoso and Wale Edun today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reps Have A Genuine Case To Impeach GEJ - PDP / Diezani’s ‘cousin’, Donald Chidi-Amamgbo Arrested By EFCC Over Fraud / RECESSION: Nigeria’s Oil, Gas Reserves Running Out, NNPC Warns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.