Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces (3956 Views)

Ekweremadu's Kidney Donor Visa Application Letter To British High Commission / Gowon 1967 Letter To BBC Urging Distortion Of Biafra Situation / If East Tries To Go, We Will Create Calabar, Ogoja, Rivers States - Gowon 1967 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by EJEGBULEJE: 9:40pm On Feb 24
aariwa:
Except a person doesn’t know anything history. Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination

Keep crying,I think you r making mouth killing people with Ogbunigwe etc...

It's a war,and you got served...

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by olisaEze(m): 9:44pm On Feb 24
shocked
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Wisfem: 9:48pm On Feb 24
christistruth01:

Let them chew on this from Azikiwe their Father

(There is deep seated desire for Effective Central Government to hold the Federation so that in Future no part would be able to tear away Azikiwe their own Father said )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYj8vnR_wk?si=Ejro1JvoQ4DIrFTB

I don't know Azikiwe is your father??
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Sholaco: 9:56pm On Feb 24
And so?
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by WantsandMore: 9:59pm On Feb 24
nairalandankrah:
On July 29, 1967, Yakubu Gowon wrote a letter to the British Prime Minister, Harlod Wilson, begging him to stop BBC Financial Times and the Economist from reporting the true situation in Biafra in exchange for oil supplies as they gave him arms.
when will you stop misinformation & clickbaits? Oh you can't, I forgot Biafra had a propaganda units back in the day.

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by NairalandForumo: 10:08pm On Feb 24
Iamanoited:
" Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination".

The Answer is NO.
The IGBOS ATTACKED ORE TOWN NEAR LAGOS IN YORUBA CLAN, IN THEIR CRUDE STRATEGY TO UNDUELY FORCE THE YORUBAS TO JOIN THEM TO ATTACK THE NORTH.
RATHER THAN GET THE COLLUSION THEY INADVERTENTLY SOUGHT, THE YORUBAS RETALIATED AND THE NORTH JOIN THE YORUBAS TO DISCIPLINE SATAN.

Orisa37

Oga, stop talking rubbish....

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by BobbieZion(m): 10:21pm On Feb 24
franchasofficia:
According to an average Yoruba person, anybody that doesn't accept the destroyed Nigeria as it is, is an Igbo person.

Anybody that condemns bad Nigerian government or complain of bad leadership in Nigeria is also Igbo according to most Yorubas.

Anybody that agrees that Nigeria needs to separate peacefully is also an Igbo person according to Yorubas. That is the mediocre mentality of a typical Yoruba person, they want Nigeria to continue the way it is even as it has failed.

Sometimes I keep wondering why Yorubas that disintegration of Nigeria would favor most, are always scared of hearing Nigeria will divide.

With Lagos state, Yorubas won't feel much negative impact of Nigeria's disintegration should Nigeria divide but due to crude oil greed and their cowardice, plus fear of succeeding on their own without using hatred and backstabbing of Igbos to gain favors from the North has always made Yorubas scared of hearing Nigeria wants to divide.

Its shameful, if I was a Yoruba, I will be angry with my people that attack Igbos for agitating to leave Nigeria because division of Nigeria will favor Yoruba region more than any other region

I once told a Muslim that staying together is not by force, that everyone has their own right and association is not by duress. Guy hated me for as long as we could see, but I did not give a damn beacuse I knew there was nothing he could do to me.
How dare you tell me who to associate with and who not to.

The clinginess is like witchcraft.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by AyeMoJuba: 10:39pm On Feb 24
franchasofficia:
According to an average Yoruba person, anybody that doesn't accept the destroyed Nigeria as it is, is an Igbo person.

Anybody that condemns bad Nigerian government or complain of bad leadership in Nigeria is also Igbo according to most Yorubas.

Anybody that agrees that Nigeria needs to separate peacefully is also an Igbo person according to Yorubas. That is the mediocre mentality of a typical Yoruba person, they want Nigeria to continue the way it is even as it has failed.

Sometimes I keep wondering why Yorubas that disintegration of Nigeria would favor most, are always scared of hearing Nigeria will divide.

With Lagos state, Yorubas won't feel much negative impact of Nigeria's disintegration should Nigeria divide but due to crude oil greed and their cowardice, plus fear of succeeding on their own without using hatred and backstabbing of Igbos to gain favors from the North has always made Yorubas scared of hearing Nigeria wants to divide.

Its shameful, if I was a Yoruba, I will be angry with my people that attack Igbos for agitating to leave Nigeria because division of Nigeria will favor Yoruba region more than any other region

Why don't you go and ask Ojukwu why he attacked Yorubaland and was coming to take over Lagos...they kept warning him to go back, he sturbbornly refused, he had already took over Okitipupa in Ondo State and was already attacking Ore when Yorubas organised and chased them back into Enugu and Owerri...that was when Ojukwu now dressed as a woman and escaped to Ivory coast.

Assuming he just declared Biafra and stayed within their territory, Yorubas wouldn't have joined the war.

The same mistake they made in the last declaration of Biafra, is the same they are already planning to make again...they are already including Edo as part of Biafra...It'll NEVER be allowed.

They will fail again and this time, there shall be no mercy even for their unborn offsprings.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by AyeMoJuba: 10:43pm On Feb 24
NairalandForumo:

Oga, stop talking rubbish....

It's not rubbish

Ojukwu caused Yorubas joining the war. He captured Okitipupa and was already attacking Ore when Yorubas ogarnised and drove them back.

If Ojukwu had declared Biafra and stayed to defend their territory alone, Yorubas wouldn't have joined the war.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by NairalandForumo: 10:46pm On Feb 24
AyeMoJuba:

It's not rubbish

Ojukwu caused Yorubas joining the war. He captured Okitipupa and was already attacking Ore when Yorubas ogarnised and drove them back.

If Ojukwu had declared Biafra and stayed to defend their territory alone, Yorubas wouldn't have joined the war.

Let me ask you who attacked first Nigeria or Biafra?

Let me know if you actually know what you are saying....
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by AyeMoJuba: 11:04pm On Feb 24
NairalandForumo:

Let me ask you who attacked first Nigeria or Biafra?

Let me know if you actually know what you are saying....

Yes, after the declaration, Nigeria{Hausa/Fulani Soldiers} attacked first, and in retaliation, Ojukwu started marching towards Yorubaland...why? why couldn't he face the North from Benue upwards...why direct ur army towards Ondo State?

At the bold...
I know everything about the war..i was born in the midst of it...my father was in the war front. He enlisted in the Army as most Yorubas did when it was obvious Ojukwu was coming to overrun Yorubaland and he has gotten to Ore.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by NairalandForumo: 11:17pm On Feb 24
AyeMoJuba:

[/b]
Yes, after the declaration, Nigeria{Hausa/Fulani Soldiers} attacked first, and in retaliation, Ojukwu started marching towards Yorubaland...why? why couldn't he face the North from Benue upwards...why direct ur army towards Ondo State?

At the bold...
I know everything about the war..i was born in the midst of it...my father was in the war front. He enlisted in the Army as most Yorubas did when it was obvious Ojukwu was coming to overrun Yorubaland and he has gotten to Ore.

Where was the seat of power ? In the north abi?

We were going to capture Gowon and he was in Lagos, so how did you expect us to start heading north to do what there? to remove the Emir of Kano? grin

4 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by PHIPEX(m): 11:19pm On Feb 24
christistruth01:

Evacuate your people from Nigeria back to your Region first and everyone will leave you alone nobody will stop you

How you are going to evacuate the ones in Lagos only God’s knows because I can tell you for free

they will not move even if you threaten their lives

It is as if they taken an Oath never to return home
Your IQ is on the negative. You want to loot their businesses and property again, shame no dey catch you. One Nigeria stands and you can cry and hate as much as you want. Why not come and evacuate them, shameless thing.

You fought a bloody war to bring them back in the name of one Nigeria, you will have them for life,

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by AyeMoJuba: 11:35pm On Feb 24
NairalandForumo:

Where was the seat of power ? In the north abi?

We were going to capture Gowon and he was in Lagos, so how did you expect us to start heading north to do what there? to remove the Emir of Kano? grin

It's okay but that wrong move was what led to your downfall...otherwise, you'd have had your Biafra dream come true. But you decided to wake a sleeping giant and u deliberately stepped on the tail of the rattlesnake...You got bitten.

The most worrisome of this is that you don't seem to have learnt your lessons. Your new brand of leaders are on top gear to annex part of Yorubaland again this time. They already have Warri, Edo as part of their Biafra map.
I can assure you, you will fail again...only this time, your losses would be uncountable both in human and material losses and once you failed again this second time, that dream for Biafra will be dead forever.

I only hope that you guys would be contented with what is yours alone and not to covet any part of Yorubaland...from Warri westward. Anything short of that will lead to a brutal failure on ur part.

Declare Biafra and stay within your territory ALONE. If you could do that, I can assure you 100%, The Yorubas of today will not bother you at all and will NOT join any war against you.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by swagana: 11:51pm On Feb 24
AyeMoJuba:

It's not rubbish

Yoruba did not organise anything rather Nigeria army mobilised and stop Biafra army at Ore.Yoruba has no army of their own.

3 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by NairalandForumo: 11:55pm On Feb 24
AyeMoJuba:

It's okay but that wrong move was what led to your downfall...otherwise, you'd have had your Biafra dream come true. But you decided to wake a sleeping giant and u deliberately stepped on the tail of the rattlesnake...You got bitten.

The most worrisome of this is that you don't seem to have learnt your lessons. Your new brand of leaders are on top gear to annex part of Yorubaland again this time. They already have Warri, Edo as part of their Biafra map.
I can assure you, you will fail again...only this time, your losses would be uncountable both in human and material losses and once you failed again this second time, that dream for Biafra will be dead forever.

I only hope that you guys would be contented with what is yours alone and not to covet any part of Yorubaland...from Warri westward. Anything short of that will lead to a brutal failure on ur part.

Declare Biafra and stay within your territory ALONE. If you could do that, I can assure you 100%, The Yorubas of today will not bother you at all and will NOT join any war against you.

It was not a wrong move cause we will do it again and again if that's the only option we have, and that was not the cause of the loss of the war, it was the help of the british that helped Nigeria.

Away from that, you make it sound like Nigeria did not force the Igbos to come back, Igbos left peacefully and Nigeria declared war and attacked first and fought the Igbos to bring them back by force..

And for your claims that it was the south south territory claiming by the Igbos that caused Nigeria to start attacking Biafra....

So after Nigeria conquered the south south and took over the territory of the south south from Biafra, why did Nigeria advance to the south east to continue, why didnt they tell Biafrans that we have taken what we wanted, you people can have your landlocked region according to you?

Or when they even advanced and conquered the whole south east and Biafrans surrendered, even if Nigeria carved out additional part of the current south east to take with the entire south south to themselves and given the Igbos the remaining part to have their Biafra after Ojukwu fled, would the Igbos have really had a choice?

Is that what Nigeria did after the conquest of both south south and the south east from the hands of Biafra?

It clearly shows you Nigeria wanted the Igbos back by force and had nothing to do with territory...

3 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by 9japride(m): 12:04am On Feb 25
temmyejo:
Southern elders were scared of Igbo dominance due to the natural greedy tendencies always associated with Igbos
[color=#006600][/color]

You guys are a special breed of humans. This is why I always advise any young Igbo to be cautious when dealing with your types.
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 12:38am On Feb 25
PHIPEX:
Your IQ is on the negative. You want to loot their businesses and property again, shame no dey catch you. One Nigeria stands and you can cry and hate as much as you want. Why not come and evacuate them, shameless thing.

You fought a bloody war to bring them back in the name of one Nigeria, you will have them for life,

Loot your Property?

God forbid

Take all your property with you we don’t need it

Our Land is Blessed

All Glory be to God Almighty

Lagos owns the Markets that keep on giving and giving and laying Golden eggs

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 12:44am On Feb 25
PHIPEX:

What was Ojukwu’s Army looking for in Ore and OKITIPUPA

Did you expect them to be donated to Ojukwu?

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by naija4life247: 12:46am On Feb 25
FourQu:
Gowon and awolowo oversaw a Genocide against igbos.

Today igbos are the 5% that holds the country together with unity in hatred grin

Oh what a time to be alive cheesy

If you start another senseless war, there will be a repeat of the suspended 1967 to 1970 Xmas party

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by hardbody: 1:08am On Feb 25
Iamanoited:
" Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination".

The Answer is NO.
The IGBOS ATTACKED ORE TOWN NEAR LAGOS IN YORUBA CLAN, IN THEIR CRUDE STRATEGY TO UNDUELY FORCE THE YORUBAS TO JOIN THEM TO ATTACK THE NORTH.
RATHER THAN GET THE COLLUSION THEY INADVERTENTLY SOUGHT, THE YORUBAS RETALIATED AND THE NORTH JOIN THE YORUBAS TO DISCIPLINE SATAN.

Orisa37

Which is perfectly ok. So what is Sunday igbogho being hounded for? Why is he seeking in 2022 what Ojukwu and the igbos sought in 1967? They may not teach history but the records are well documented. We will teach and show our children. It is but a matter of time. Water and oil don't mix. Clay and metal are not same elements.
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by hardbody: 1:15am On Feb 25
AyeMoJuba:

Lol. Yoruba did not have any army to fight any war don't be misled. All y'all ever had were the famed hunters of old. The Agbekoyas. The Federal might came hard on the biafran army with full support of the British airforce and tactical support coupled with the tivs who had the large infantry in the army.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by aariwa(m): 1:36am On Feb 25
EJEGBULEJE:

Keep crying,I think you r making mouth killing people with Ogbunigwe etc...

It's a war,and you got served...
lol .This letter just confirms what everybody knows that If Britain had not intervened and it was only Hausa and Yoruba together, the war would have been a walk over for igbos within a few months

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by aariwa(m): 1:37am On Feb 25
JagabanB:

Was it the British that made Azikiwe oppose the secession clause proposed by Awolowo?
they made Gowon refuse to honor the aburi accord. Azikiwe had no political post when al these was happening

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by aariwa(m): 1:39am On Feb 25
temmyejo:
Southern elders were scared of Igbo dominance due to the natural greedy tendencies always associated with Igbos
Igbos are very comfortable with the idea of a Niger delta country if that’s what south south want

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by aariwa(m): 1:41am On Feb 25
arantess:

They tried but couldn't succeed
.This letter just confirms what everybody knows that If Britain had not intervened and it was only Hausa and Yoruba together, the war would have been a walk over for igbos within a few months

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 4:36am On Feb 25
hardbody:

Which is perfectly ok. So what is Sunday igbogho being hounded for? Why is he seeking in 2022 what Ojukwu and the igbos sought in 1967? They may not teach history but the records are well documented. We will teach and show our children. It is but a matter of time. Water and oil don't mix. Clay and metal are not same elements.

When TINUBU allows FAPRES FOTCS AND CTC FOCS TRFG AND A2:E2: I ARE ON THEIR OWN LIKE THE REMAINING 31 STATES, WE SHALL SEE.
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 4:50am On Feb 25
THE SE, SW, SS, NC, NE & NW SHALL ACT, INTERACT AND MOVE FREELY SOON BY DIVINE DISCERNMENT.

Orisa37
GOD WILL DO THE MIRACLE SOON THROUGH TAA IJN AMEN.
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by AyeMoJuba: 8:43am On Feb 25
NairalandForumo:

It was not a wrong move cause we will do it again and again if that's the only option we have, and that was not the cause of the loss of the war, it was the help of the british that helped Nigeria.

Away from that, you make it sound like Nigeria did not force the Igbos to come back, Igbos left peacefully and Nigeria declared war and attacked first and fought the Igbos to bring them back by force..

And for your claims that it was the south south territory claiming by the Igbos that caused Nigeria to start attacking Biafra....

So after Nigeria conquered the south south and took over the territory of the south south from Biafra, why did Nigeria advance to the south east to continue, why didnt they tell Biafrans that we have taken what we wanted, you people can have your landlocked region according to you?

Or when they even advanced and conquered the whole south east and Biafrans surrendered, even if Nigeria carved out additional part of the current south east to take with the entire south south to themselves and given the Igbos the remaining part to have their Biafra after Ojukwu fled, would the Igbos have really had a choice?

Is that what Nigeria did after the conquest of both south south and the south east from the hands of Biafra?

It clearly shows you Nigeria wanted the Igbos back by force and had nothing to do with territory...

There's no need for long grammar .
I have explained the main and real reason why your dream failed but your response shows you are adamant and will repeat it again. Repeat it and history will also repeat itself in a more brutal way against you as it did in the past.

Yoruba's are again silently observing and waiting for the day you will cross your boundaries again.

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by NairalandForumo: 8:49am On Feb 25
AyeMoJuba:

There's no need for long grammar .
I have explained the main and real reason why your dream failed but your response shows you are adamant and will repeat it again. Repeat it and history will also repeat itself in a more brutal way against you as it did in the past.

Yoruba's are again silently observing and waiting for the day you will cross your boundaries again.

Be there in your self deceit, facing the Igbos who don't have you people's time while Fulani that is killing and raping your women are not attacked by you people....

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by predictor1: 8:58am On Feb 25
Racoon:
No secret hidden under the sun that will not be exposed. The atrocities of this civil war will continue to hunt the state.
There's nothing secretive in the letter or its content. Gowon plainly asked the British prime minister to encourage his press to be fair in its reportage of the war in the British media. Then he said once Nigeria's internal problems are solved free flow of oil export to Britain will continue. That's international trade. If they don't sell the oil will they drink it?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finland Times Newspaper Features Simon Ekpa On Front Page - Pictures / Odd Fact I've Come Accross: An Igbo Guy Was The 5th President Of Liberia. / GEJ Said In 1983 In Queued For 2 Nights To Get Milk.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.