Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,905 members, 7,810,482 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:50 AM

Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces (3936 Views)

Ekweremadu's Kidney Donor Visa Application Letter To British High Commission / Gowon 1967 Letter To BBC Urging Distortion Of Biafra Situation / If East Tries To Go, We Will Create Calabar, Ogoja, Rivers States - Gowon 1967 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by nairalandankrah: 4:54pm On Feb 24
On July 29, 1967, Yakubu Gowon wrote a letter to the British Prime Minister, Harlod Wilson, begging him to stop BBC Financial Times and the Economist from reporting the true situation in Biafra in exchange for oil supplies as they gave him arms.

6 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by etisa: 4:58pm On Feb 24
Nigeria
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by ceragon123: 5:56pm On Feb 24
History is the beacon of the future

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by aariwa(m): 5:59pm On Feb 24
Except a person doesn’t know anything history. Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination .This letter just confirms what everybody knows that If Britain had not intervened and it was only Hausa and Yoruba together, the war would have been a walk over for igbos within a few months

55 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by FourQu: 6:25pm On Feb 24
Gowon and awolowo oversaw a Genocide against igbos.

Today igbos are the 5% that holds the country together with unity in hatred grin

Oh what a time to be alive cheesy

43 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Biafrannuke: 6:25pm On Feb 24
Begging their lords to help them survive.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Localemperor: 6:39pm On Feb 24
Make una just share this country!! Haba

6 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by jkpbestseries: 6:42pm On Feb 24
I saw strength in Biafra Pounds, although i will seek for a total republic for my state

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 7:02pm On Feb 24
" Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination".

The Answer is NO.
The IGBOS ATTACKED ORE TOWN NEAR LAGOS IN YORUBA CLAN, IN THEIR CRUDE STRATEGY TO UNDUELY FORCE THE YORUBAS TO JOIN THEM TO ATTACK THE NORTH.
RATHER THAN GET THE COLLUSION THEY INADVERTENTLY SOUGHT, THE YORUBAS RETALIATED AND THE NORTH JOIN THE YORUBAS TO DISCIPLINE SATAN.

Orisa37

16 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 7:02pm On Feb 24
grin

Azikiwe's 1968 letter to Ojukwu begging for Ojukwu to give up the Futile War and not turn their Homeland into a massive Graveyard

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 7:08pm On Feb 24
Iamanoited:
" Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination".

The Answer is NO.
The IGBOS ATTACKED ORE TOWN NEAR LAGOS IN YORUBA CLAN, IN THEIR CRUDE STRATEGY TO UNDUELY FORCE THE YORUBAS TO JOIN THEM TO ATTACK THE NORTH.
RATHER THAN GET THE COLLUSION THEY INADVERTENTLY SOUGHT, THE YORUBAS RETALIATED AND THE NORTH JOIN THE YORUBAS TO DISCIPLINE SATAN.

Orisa37

Attacked Ore Ke?

They had Occupied OkitiPupa

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 7:14pm On Feb 24
"Gowon and Awolowo oversaw a Genocide against igbos".

NO.
THE IGBOS SOUGHT FOR CESSATION UNCONSTITUTIONALLY AND GOT BRUISED, BATTERED AND LOST BIAFRA IN THE PROCESS.

Orisa37

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Racoon(m): 7:17pm On Feb 24
No secret hidden under the sun that will not be exposed. The atrocities of this civil war will continue to hunt the state.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 7:23pm On Feb 24
Racoon:
No secret hidden under the sun that will not be exposed. The atrocities of this civil war will continue to hunt the state

especially the Midwest Genocide the Biafrans committed when they killed everyone not from their Tribe along the Biafrans Army Withdrawal route between Ore in the Western Region and Agbor and proceeded to Slaughter everyone in Agbor as well not from their Ethnic Group.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 7:26pm On Feb 24
Localemperor:
Make una just share this country!! Haba

TAA-TINUBU AKPABIO ARIWOOLA, DO YOU HEAR THAT?
BUHARINOMICS WAS RIFA-RUGA ISLAMISATION FULANISATION AND ANARCHY.
TINUNOMICS SHOULD ADOPT FULL AUTONOMOUS POLICING RESOURCING AND ELECTIONEERING STATUSES FOR OUR 36 CONSTITUTIONAL STATES AND CERTIFIED TITHES CONTRIBUTION SYSTEM TO RUN FEDERAL GOVERNMENT SINE DIE.

Orisa37

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 7:32pm On Feb 24
christistruth01:

Attacked Ore Ke?

They had Occupied OkitiPupa

IGBO OLE OLOSHA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 7:32pm On Feb 24
Iamanoited:
"Gowon and Awolowo oversaw a Genocide against igbos".

NO.
THE IGBOS SOUGHT FOR CESSATION UNCONSTITUTIONALLY AND GOT BRUISED, BATTERED AND LOST BIAFRA IN THE PROCESS.

Orisa37

Let them chew on this from Azikiwe their Father

(There is deep seated desire for Effective Central Government to hold the Federation so that in Future no part would be able to tear away Azikiwe their own Father said )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYj8vnR_wk?si=Ejro1JvoQ4DIrFTB

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Iamanoited: 7:36pm On Feb 24
christistruth01:

Let them chew on this from Azikiwe their Father

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEYj8vnR_wk?si=Ejro1JvoQ4DIrFTB

INCONSISTENT AND RECALCITRANT REBELS.

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by arantess: 8:16pm On Feb 24
aariwa:
Except a person doesn’t know anything history. Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination
They tried but couldn't succeed

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by reXurrectionZA(m): 8:29pm On Feb 24
Iamanoited:

The Answer is NO.

Orisa37
was that how the war started, or was that the most important event in the war? THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION OF THE WAR WAS WHAT CAUSED IT. YOU CAN DODGE THAT ALL MIGHT YOUR. A set of people you claimed was the problem of the nation, and where brutally massarced because of that believe, decided to carry their problem and leave you alone, you said no and you proceed to slaughter more of them. that is the simple summary of the biafran war, nations all over the world agreed that the igbos cause was just, even UK; but NIGERIA say otherwise.

6 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Negroid001(m): 8:33pm On Feb 24
aariwa:
Except a person doesn’t know anything history. Civil war was a clear genocide by Britain against the people of Biafra for seeking right to self determination

Nah. It was a battle for oil. Do the ibos have oil? Once the south defected. It was over. Ibos were just unnecessarily adamant and ignorant.

Stupid war i must say.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Negroid001(m): 8:35pm On Feb 24
FourQu:
Gowon and awolowo oversaw a Genocide against igbos.

Today igbos are the 5% that holds the country together with unity in hatred grin

Oh what a time to be alive cheesy

You are really misinformed. The founding fathers were all annihilated. Even awolowo was serving time in prison during the war. That's what saved his life. He had nothing to do with the war.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by swagana: 8:41pm On Feb 24
Iamanoited:

The Answer is NO.

Orisa37

Was Ore not part of Nigeria that declared war against Biafra?

1 Like

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Agbegbaorogboye: 8:44pm On Feb 24
How our oil wealth was mismanaged
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by Seunpapa65: 8:47pm On Feb 24
Time heals all wounds
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by BobbieZion(m): 8:47pm On Feb 24
Why can't the North and the West leave the East to go abeg.
We are tired of all this nonsense.
The Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are the major problems of Nigeria.
You said you don't want a person yet you said they can't leave..... isn't that the height of wickedness.

So beacuse of you people's tribalism this is where you have left the rest of Nigerians.

For me let everyone go their separate ways or we practice parliamentary system, where everyone will handle the affairs of their region. Not a system where a Buffoon is selected by a useless majority to determine the fate of a sensible minority.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by temmyejo: 9:09pm On Feb 24
aariwa:
Southern elders were scared of Igbo dominance due to the natural greedy tendencies always associated with Igbos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by christistruth01: 9:13pm On Feb 24
BobbieZion:
Why can't the North and the West leave the East to go abeg.
We are tired of all this nonsense.
The Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba are the major problems of Nigeria.
You said you don't want a person yet you said they can't leave..... isn't that the height of wickedness.

So beacuse of you people's tribalism this is where you have left the rest of Nigerians.

For me let everyone go their separate ways or we practice parliamentary system, where everyone will handle the affairs of their region. Not a system where a Buffoon is selected by a useless majority to determine the fate of a sensible minority.

Evacuate your people from Nigeria back to your Region first and everyone will leave you alone nobody will stop you

How you are going to evacuate the ones in Lagos only God’s knows because I can tell you for free

they will not move even if you threaten their lives

It is as if they have taken an Oath never to return home

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by ITbomb(m): 9:22pm On Feb 24
Having worked in the Secretariat, I understand the feeling of unappreciated the typist of that letter would feel (if he/she is still alive.

He will be somewhere telling people that he typed the letter that ended BBC report about Biafra, and no one will believe him
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by BobbieZion(m): 9:25pm On Feb 24
christistruth01:

Evacuate your people from Nigeria back to your Region first and everyone will leave you alone nobody will stop you

How you are going to evacuate the ones in Lagos only God’s knows because I can tell you for free

they will not move even if you threaten their lives

It is as if they taken an Oath never to return home

I am not Igbo.
I am a proud middle-beltan.
Go back and read my write-up more carefully.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by JagabanB: 9:37pm On Feb 24
aariwa:
Was it the British that made Azikiwe oppose the secession clause proposed by Awolowo?
Re: Gowon 1967 letter to British PM, Harlod Wilson, Surfaces by franchasofficia: 9:40pm On Feb 24
BobbieZion:

I am not Igbo.
I am a proud middle-beltan.
Go back and read my write-up more carefully.
According to an average Yoruba person, anybody that doesn't accept the destroyed Nigeria as it is, is an Igbo person.

Anybody that condemns bad Nigerian government or complain of bad leadership in Nigeria is also Igbo according to most Yorubas.

Anybody that agrees that Nigeria needs to separate peacefully is also an Igbo person according to Yorubas. That is the mediocre mentality of a typical Yoruba person, they want Nigeria to continue the way it is even as it has failed.

Sometimes I keep wondering why Yorubas that disintegration of Nigeria would favor most, are always scared of hearing Nigeria will divide.

With Lagos state, Yorubas won't feel much negative impact of Nigeria's disintegration should Nigeria divide but due to crude oil greed and their cowardice, plus fear of succeeding on their own without using hatred and backstabbing of Igbos to gain favors from the North has always made Yorubas scared of hearing Nigeria wants to divide.

Its shameful, if I was a Yoruba, I will be angry with my people that attack Igbos for agitating to leave Nigeria because division of Nigeria will favor Yoruba region more than any other region

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

B-R-E-A-K-I-N-G News! Gun Battle Rages In Port Harcourt, Rivers State. / T B Joshua Lights Up Colombia , Fills Olympic Stadium. ( Photos ) / SHOCKING PROPHECIES !: Nigeria Will Break Apart...-primate Ayodele.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.