Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States (16686 Views)

Wike, PDP G5 And ‘Devolution’ Of Presidential Support - The Guardian / Obasanjo Urges Yahaya Bello To Sustain Fight Against Criminality (Picture) / Fayemi Canvasses Power Devolution As Solution To Marginalisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by papiwyte(m): 8:46am On Feb 25
Baba is here again let me start writing oooo

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Menclothing: 8:52am On Feb 25
That’s the only solution
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by nsiba: 8:54am On Feb 25
ogododo:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/economic-crisis-obasanjo-urges-devolution-of-power-resources-to-states/

When Obansanjo was President he refused it and Tinubu was the arrowhead of power devolution then, now Tinubu is President let us see what he will do
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Franking: 8:56am On Feb 25
OhuDealer:

If e start now , you will be the ones begging .

And don't put mind in seeing an inch of SS joining you.

Not your place to say. Everyone will determine his fate.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Godfullsam(m): 8:59am On Feb 25
It seems these so called leaders only regain their consciousness when they are out of power.

It's like they usually submit the functioning parts of their brains to the gods once they become president.

This man was president for good 8 yrs, he didn't made mention of devolution of power .
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by OhuDealer: 9:01am On Feb 25
Franking:

Not your place to say. Everyone will determine his fate.

Well I am speaking on behalf on my people .

Did you consult anyone in the SS before dragging us into another of your uncured madness?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by babamoha(m): 9:12am On Feb 25
Nigeria type of politics is centralized on the political elites and their family
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Mccullum: 9:13am On Feb 25
Devolution of power to federating states from FG is part of the suggestive solutions.

Nigeria also needs to reform our legislation from bicameral legislature to unicameral legislature which is more costless than present one.

For Obasanjo, I think he's passing message to the north.

1 Like

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Sleekfingers: 9:15am On Feb 25
Matrix137:
I hope there is a reorientation of the mindset of our leaders

Please someone help me with any amount to buy foodstuffs to ease this hunger.

07 25 00 93 40 access bank

God bless

Online Almajiri
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Yong4ever: 9:16am On Feb 25
ogododo:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/02/economic-crisis-obasanjo-urges-devolution-of-power-resources-to-states/
How's Lagos State better? with their dubious tax deductions especially from their civil servants, when a level 10 officer is paying minimum wage as tax with higher cost of living, looking at how much of IGR Lagos State generates is not proportional to the kind of development we've seen, as a matter of fact, it only favours the ruling class not the masses.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by ogbe88(m): 9:18am On Feb 25
EponObi:

They've arrived. The chestbeaters.

Btw, pray tell which is paining you: Obi drinking Aisha's nunu or Igbo being terrible at national politics?
I pity who listens to this APC's miscreants.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by mrblessed(m): 9:21am On Feb 25
Things you refused to do during your tenure. Instead you were consumed on settling old scores.

1 Like

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by nedekid: 9:54am On Feb 25
routed:

Why didn't you do it during your eight years tenure?

Destroyer of our democracy.

Baba 3rd term who started legislative colossal corruption with Ghana must go.

He go pay debt when infrastructure is at grand zero.

Pathetic!!!
Common sense should tell you that Obj took over from years of military rule, you do not make such heavy decisions immediately, you stabilize the country (which he did), before any such move can come later down the line.
The results of quick rash decisions can be seen with the desaster Emilokan has brought upon Nigerians.
Never speak ill about Obj, he might have had flaws as a human but never at the level of the two desaster president's from the apc. Are you not aware Obj wiped out our debts with the oil windfall money from the gulf war? On the other hand buhari came in, there was war also, yet we entered debt. In all the 8 years of Obj, naira did not cross the ₦120 to $1 mark. Yet under buhari, in 8 years from 180 to 750 for $1, under Emilokan from 750 to 2000 in 6 months!
Perhaps, Obj as you alledged should have stayed for 3,4,5 terms, atleast we wount be in the situation we are now.

1 Like

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Franking: 9:57am On Feb 25
OhuDealer:

Well I am speaking on behalf on my people .

Did you consult anyone in the SS before dragging us into another of your uncured madness?

You can only speak for yourself. The five eastern states and any other Igbo speaking area that wants. Anioma will choose for themselves just like the Etches and others. Can never be by force.

By the way, remember Nzeogwu the leader of the "Igbo coup" of 1966 was from Anioma.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by OhuDealer: 10:24am On Feb 25
Franking:

You can only speak for yourself. The five eastern states and any other Igbo speaking area that wants. Anioma will choose for themselves just like the Etches and others. Can never be by force.

By the way, remember Nzeogwu the leader of the "Igbo coup" of 1966 was from Anioma.

Am I the one holding Anioma state from being created ?

If I had my way I will create it yesterday .

Go and ask why they in Delta north are not ready for their own state.

After all , Mariam Babangida was very instrumental in making sure that the capital of Delta was in her hometown of Asaba .

Warri was supposed to be the capital but we saw how your Bendel Ibos moved it up north

Tell them in Delta north to seek for Anioma state .

And why is Anioma state creation the obsession of you Ibos from across the Niger ?

Asaba people are not interested but it is you outsiders that are clamouring for state to be created outside your state.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Greenfusion: 10:26am On Feb 25
routed:

Why didn't you do it during your eight years tenure?

Destroyer of our democracy.

Baba 3rd term who started legislative colossal corruption with Ghana must go.

He go pay debt when infrastructure is at grand zero.

Pathetic!!!
Everybody makes mistakes, baba's mistake did not cause economic hardship like the current builder of lagos in Aso rock....life was far better under Obj, he his a better leader than the present.......what we need now is reasonable contributions so that the clueless man in Aso rock doesn't push Nigeria into total anarchy.

1 Like

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by MIGHTYMAN82(m): 10:26am On Feb 25
Sleekfingers:

Online Almajiri
hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by onuman: 10:30am On Feb 25
"24 years of practising the presidential system is not enough. The important thing is to devolve power and resources to the states and certain jobs from the federal to state and local governments.” ---- Obasanjo.

For about 15 years, Bola Ahmed Tinubu campaigned all over the SW region asking for exactly what ex President Obasanjo suggested above.
After Bola Tinubu assumed office as president of Nigeria, every right thinking Nigerian thought that he would Immediately go into political restructuring of Nigeria.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by EleventhWeirdo: 10:34am On Feb 25
YES, total devolution of power to the federating units, is key to getting it right. The present structure makes accountability a pipedream overshadowed by ethno-religious affiliations. But, in my own opinion, the federating units must not be the present microstates which are created out of minority concerns or for 'making up the numbers' and not necessarily out of feasibility of a standalone economic viability. The current geopolitical zones in the country - SW, SE, SS, NW, NC, and NE should become federating units. The current states should be scrapped and not retained as provinces (at least in their present names) lest they become the basis of a new kind of power struggle and "us versus them" in the new states. The new provinces should be strictly on the basis of what they can offer in terms of population and economic potential, with considerations for tribal and religious sentiments totally discarded. Traditional institutions should be completely derecognized, if not scrapped, because they give institutional expression to intra-ethnic diversity.

The new structure should include;
1. Total fiscal federalism i.e. resource control and scrapping of RMAFC
2. Total decongestion of the exclusive list, save for items of compelling national character like national defence, currency minting, and foreign affairs.
3. Nigeria should be run as what it rightly is - a union of autonomous regions.
4. Later, we can make the union voluntary by inculcating clauses for dissolution and secession into the real federal constitution.

1 Like

Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by membranus: 10:35am On Feb 25
NothingDoMe:
Long overdue.

The so called federalism is just a way to loot and squander SS oil revenues.

Make everybody go hustle make we enjoy our oil abeg.

Yes Bra, supported.

But you forget something, even the fat ones that trickle down to your SS region, na your leaders dey swallow am, e no reach the masses. Your leaders keep getting fatter and fatter, while your poors keep getting leaner and leaner. Wetin you go come do about dat one?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by onuman: 10:38am On Feb 25
STEWpid:
Chai..

Is there any assurance that the governors too are not monumental failures and thieves?

None of those hooligans think about you.

Except a state like Lagos and the FCT that we can categorically affirm their spirit for constant progressive initiatives and better outlook to success than others, simply because of their status to the country.

Corruption is almost impossible to completely exterminate in the Nigerian political atmosphere, but it is possible to curtail it to the barest minimum.

I shake my head in dismay when I pass through some States during road travel;

"all you see are chaff houses, very poor environment and setting, wretched living situation, and emptimess that you'll be depressed to ask if this is the so-called Nigeria that they say is blessed with abundance crude oil and so many other natural resources!!?"

The environments look like 400BCE, which is absolutely devoid of any contact with the reality of what a present day 2024 should be.

Chai..

It will be extraordinarily suicidal to believe that devolution of power is what we need.

I'm sure many will run to their respective religious abode to share Divine Testimonies when the Block of Corruption favours them.

It will rather be extraordinarily suicidal if Nigeria's politicians don't restructure Nigeria politically for devolution of powers to the states or to the regions/zones. Every state, including yours, needs to look inward for what can be invented in the state for development of the state, instead of running to Abuja every month for federal allocations.
Think of Venezuela 🇻🇪 to understand that crude oil proceeds are not all that there is for a country to live on.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by lexy2014: 10:50am On Feb 25
Salewa97:
I believe that devolving power resources to states could potentially alleviate the impact of the economic crisis and lead to more efficient decisionmaking.

how will "devolving power resources to states could potentially alleviate the impact of the economic crisis and lead to more efficient decision making"?

what powers do states already have and which ones do they not have?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by lexy2014: 10:52am On Feb 25
onuman:

It will rather be extraordinarily suicidal if Nigeria's politicians don't restructure Nigeria politically for devolution of powers to the states or to the regions/zones. Every state, including yours, needs to look inward for what can be invented in the state for development of the state, instead of running to Abuja every month for federal allocations.
Think of Venezuela 🇻🇪 to understand that crude oil proceeds are not all that there is for a country to live on.

is it because of this so called "restructuring" that governors cant develop their states?

the monthly allocations that they have been running to abuja for, what have they done with it?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by lexy2014: 10:53am On Feb 25
EleventhWeirdo:
YES, total devolution of power to the federating units, is key to getting it right. The present structure makes accountability a pipedream overshadowed by ethno-religious affiliations. But, in my own opinion, the federating units must not be the present microstates which are created out of minority concerns or for 'making up the numbers' and not necessarily out of feasibility of a standalone economic viability. The current geopolitical zones in the country - SW, SE, SS, NW, NC, and NE should become federating units. The current states should be scrapped and not retained as provinces (at least in their present names) lest they become the basis of a new kind of power struggle and "us versus them" in the new states. The new provinces should be strictly on the basis of what they can offer in terms of population and economic potential, with considerations for tribal and religious sentiments totally discarded. Traditional institutions should be completely derecognized, if not scrapped, because they give institutional expression to intra-ethnic diversity.

The new structure should include;
1. Total fiscal federalism i.e. resource control and scrapping of RMAFC
2. Total decongestion of the exclusive list, save for items of compelling national character like national defence, currency minting, and foreign affairs.
3. Nigeria should be run as what it rightly is - a union of autonomous regions.
4. Later, we can make the union voluntary by inculcating clauses for dissolution and secession into the real federal constitution.

what system of government does Nigeria practice and what makes you think that powers have not already been devolved to the states?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by lexy2014: 10:54am On Feb 25
OhuDealer:

After all , Mariam Abacha was very instrumental in making sure that the capital of Delta was in her hometown of Asaba .

Warri was supposed to be the capital but we saw how your Bendel Ibos moved it up north

And why is Anioma state creation the obsession of you Ibos from across the Niger ?

Asaba people are not interested but it is you outsiders that are clamouring for state to be created outside your state.

at what time did Mariam Abacha come from Asaba?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Krankhead: 10:57am On Feb 25
Salewa97:
I believe that devolving power resources to states could potentially alleviate the impact of the economic crisis and lead to more efficient decisionmaking.
The sane Obasanjo that refused to release Lagos state allocation for years. Same Obj that use 3 house members to remove a stting governor in the east. I don't why people still listen to the man. The evil that obf did in Nigeria is the worst
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Franking: 11:07am On Feb 25
OhuDealer:

After all , Mariam Abacha was very instrumental in making sure that the capital of Delta was in her hometown of Asaba .

I never mentioned Anioma state. Read again.
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by STEWpid(f): 11:09am On Feb 25
onuman:

Think of Venezuela 🇻🇪 to understand that crude oil proceeds are not all that there is for a country to live on (lexy2014).

States usually have annual budget for the operation of their affairs,,

They have their State IGR which is totally different from Federal IGR,,

They receive security votes in trillions of Naira,,

They receive allocations from the FG,,

They also take loans,,

What have they used it achieve?

Rather, especially in the North, they use those monies to fund terrorism in other to receive more allocations for security and to give excuses on why they're backward in terms of growth and development!!

Chai..

My argument is this;

Whatever will make devolution of powers to work means that the governors and all other leadership position holders must be serious with their job and take the welfare of the people as paramount - more like near absolute repentance from corruption.

Hence, there wouldn't even be need to decentralize power in first place if they can do as stated above.

Because, the end will be like - making the governors richer and more powerful by "dissolving corruption at the middle to institutionalize it in States - with the governors holding powers to do and undo".

That same corruption and backwardness will continue.

Whatever will happen in devolution of powers can still happen as it is right now!!

Chai..
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by UHLmoving: 11:11am On Feb 25
Salewa97:
the north and west a not ready yet, e
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by Rullybiz: 11:14am On Feb 25
And he was president for eight years even seeking a thurd term and couldn't implement tgus his useless old man idea......quote author=Arobaga post=128632327]

Whats wrong with what he said?

Abi your state dey barren?

Or you people can’t feed yourselves without help from other states because if you were from a state who’s up and right you shouldn’t have a problem with this

Unity beggars
[/quote]
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by arantess: 11:15am On Feb 25
NaijaPrince18:

Retard is obasanjo of your tribe? We have always been calling for restructure. Once done all ipob should be deported and a massive wall should be built around SW.
Lol, you and your family go follow build the wall

You get money for cement?
Re: Economic Crisis: Obasanjo Urges Devolution Of Power, Resources To States by aribisala0(m): 11:24am On Feb 25
Godfullsam:
It seems these so called leaders only regain their consciousness when they are out of power.

It's like they usually submit the functioning parts of their brains to the gods once they become president.

This man was president for good 8 yrs, he didn't made mention of devolution of power .

He is entitled to change his mind.
Only God is always right
Besides the circumstances then are different now
A person may not need surgery today does not mean they will not need it next year
Things change,times change.
You do not have access to all the information he had
Do not forget he came after a long period of military rule and no one knew it democracy would even survive as long as it has. Now we have had several transitions it is quite different

Obasanjo is not the issue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

800 APC Members Defect To PDP In Kwara / Buhari: Nigeria’s Unity Is Non-Negotiable / Obiano Gives Families Of Slain Police Officers ₦1 Million Each (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.