Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:31 AM

I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso (22234 Views)

Hardship: Tinubu Not Responsible For Economic Woes – Ambode / Profile Of Olayemi Michael Cardoso, Nominee For CBN Governor / Tinubu Nominates Olayemi Cardoso As CBN Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by nlfpmod: 7:38pm On Feb 27
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Olayemi Cardoso, says himself and his team are not responsible for the current economic woes in the country.

This was made known by Cardoso while answering questions from journalists at the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) meeting of the apex bank, on Tuesday, February 27, 2024, in Abuja, the first since he assumed office in September 2023.

Cardoso, however, said the CBN is taking the necessary steps to get the country’s fiscal and monetary health back to normal.

He said the current management of the CBN assumed responsibility at a time of crisis of confidence, adding that efforts being made to redress this are beginning to yield results.

We need to do the difficult thing to make things better

While responding to a question that the CBN was responsible for the current economic challenges faced by Nigerians, Cardoso said,

“I laugh at that question but it’s not a laughing matter,” Cardoso retorted. And I think it is very important for Nigerians to understand that the Central Bank Governor — I and my team — are not responsible for the woes that we have today; we are part of the solution.

“We are determined to ensure that we work hard to get out of the mess that Nigeria is in. We assumed responsibility in a time of crisis of confidence; there was a crisis of confidence and you may all want to go to bed and wish that crisis of confidence was not there but it was, and we can’t turn back the clock.

“All we can do is do the difficult things to make a bad situation better and I do believe that the efforts that we are making are beginning to bring back confidence because to be frank, without confidence in your business, you are not going to get far.”

What you should know

Nairametrics had earlier reported that the CBN had raised the monetary policy rate (MPR) by 400 basis points to a record 22.75%.
This is the highest level we have seen the MPR topping 18.75% which had remained since the last MPC meeting on the 24th and 25th of July 2023.

The apex bank also increased the Cash Reserve Ratio to 45% and maintained the liquidity ratio at 30%. The Asymmetric Corridor was also raised to +200/-700.

The CBN Governor had said with inflation rate at 29.90%, he said the new MPR is part of moves to tackle the country’s inflation.

https://nairametrics.com/2024/02/27/cbn-governor-cardoso-says-im-not-responsible-for-nigerias-economic-crisis/

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Ogiame: 7:39pm On Feb 27
But you were everywhere blaming Godwin Emefiele when he was governor of the CBN....

You're a FAILURE, just like the way you call Emefiele. grin

198 Likes 26 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by kettykin: 7:40pm On Feb 27
some folks are just plain errors and blunders , so who exactly is his fault , Emefiele left the rates at below N750 to a dollar and today we have the rates at above N1500 to a dollar and someone who is now a round peg in a square hole is saying it is not his fault.

Can someone see how some people are brazenly dodging responsibility and looking for a scapegoat. someone should tell this fellow that the exchange rate was below N200 to a dollar while Emefiele was CBN governor before APC to into office.

This is now the new format of saying , i cant solve the problem .

Imagine the US chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank coming out in the press to say this, APC Government is the most irresponsible Goverment every

137 Likes 11 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Hezzyluv: 7:41pm On Feb 27
If you are not to be blame, do we blame Godwin that left the office when dollar was around #700 per dollar?

97 Likes 7 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by farouk2much(m): 7:41pm On Feb 27
Shut your dirty mouth.... Useless man. With empty brain..... Jst like his boss

92 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by benuejosh: 7:41pm On Feb 27
People who feel their own favourite wasn't voted into power are the ones trying to sabotage the efforts of this administration. Some started sincethe time of Buhari and majority added to them during the last election.

But they will fail woefully - Peter Obi and Obidient.

Tinubu WILL succeed.

15 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by barojana: 7:42pm On Feb 27
Omo grin
Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by richiemcgold: 7:42pm On Feb 27
He's right though.

We should not vent our anger on a wrong man

9 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Arijude(m): 7:42pm On Feb 27
😂😝😝😝

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by BigDawsNet: 7:42pm On Feb 27
Bet you hav no clue how to fix it? Just say the truth

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by iichidodo: 7:42pm On Feb 27
Well, he will be raised as a hero, if he crashes dollars to #500..

6 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Iykopee(m): 7:42pm On Feb 27
grin Thief'nubu is responsible

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Yugoslavia247(m): 7:42pm On Feb 27
When Emefiele dey u were the one that spoke loudest.

Now you can't even do jack.

Policy upon policy.

You get paid well so why bother

All those saying take baby steps eat 6 square meal a day. Their dogs eat well than the gate man.

Those that should take baby steps can not eat 1 meal a day

15 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by NothingDoMe: 7:43pm On Feb 27
It's my fault.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by LordBillionz: 7:43pm On Feb 27
Who is Responsible Mr. Governor?
You want to Join the blame game too??

11 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by CountinBlessins(m): 7:43pm On Feb 27
I am not either. Foolish man

11 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by nony43(m): 7:43pm On Feb 27
I agree with him, he just how many months old. But then again during Emefiele $ was high and stable, with Cadoso it is very high and unstable.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by havenz(m): 7:43pm On Feb 27
You are a failure already because you don't know exactly what to do, this early complain means you are weak and can't help out on our fallen Naira, please do yourself good by climbing down.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Haydens: 7:44pm On Feb 27
Who before?

When you know that you are incompetent to salvage the economy then out of greedy in them people blood he decided to carry the post.

Shior!! angry angry don't pass the buck.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Sonnobax15(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27
grin
Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Mitsurugi(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27
Cardi B. We are solidly behind you grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by kayswag100(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27
Mr Cardoso, who's then responsible?

Classic instance of passing the buck. It's your responsibility gangsta!

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Massiveglory: 7:44pm On Feb 27
Cardoso is sounding like a someone who will soon throw in the towel.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Edoreborn: 7:44pm On Feb 27
This pple ehn,,d kind of life ds pple live,,u wonder whether na God create all humans..

What to eat,, drink,, sleep etc never a problem to them..if dem one chop full cow everyday no issues n millions go hungry everyday..

Wife no dey respect husband again because of ds untold hardship ds bastards av inflicted on d pple.. mtchew o ma se oo

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Divinerace(m): 7:44pm On Feb 27
Na me cause am undecided
Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by jmoore(m): 7:45pm On Feb 27
He's right. It is not his fault. It is Tinubu that ruined the economy.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Exceed15: 7:45pm On Feb 27
Looooooool.. Kai this laugh dey sweet me. Apc supporters see Una life .. blaming game till 2098.. hahahaha.

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by adecz: 7:45pm On Feb 27
If you have no answers you better
resign.

Don't come and be looking for
excuses..

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Bfly: 7:46pm On Feb 27
The CBN is responsible for every money problem. Directly or indirectly.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Not Responsible For Nigeria’s Economic Woes - Olayemi Cardoso by Truths9ja: 7:47pm On Feb 27
Then who’s responsible then. You raised interest rate from 18# to 22% and still floating the naira too. You are a failure in dishing out economic policies to Nigeria people.

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Galadima: Don't Be Surprise To See President Buhari Contest In 2023 / Stock Market Response To New Presidents Since 1999 / Offer Tinubu Ideas To Run Economy, Governance - Felix Morka To Atiku, Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.