Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,564 members, 7,812,827 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To (17724 Views)

Why I Mostly Sing In Yoruba Language – Asake / Download Music: 'I Don't Care' By Steves J. Bryan (free Mp3 Download) / MUSIC--I Too Like Woman By Rema Download Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Artscollection: 12:15pm On Feb 29
SkengRay:
Ingesting Quality music runs in my bloodline grin. Past, Present and Future. Reggae Eric Donaldson has to be my favorite. Damn that guy is so creative

Try peter tosh and you will call him a prophet!!
My no 1 reggae prophet
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by writeprof(m): 12:15pm On Feb 29
Printme1:
Music is powerful and ADDICTIVE.

You start out not liking a particular type of music and then one day you hit a song you like and from there, you start liking other songs by the singer.

And then new songs from the genre.

It was like this for me with music.

Rap songs was never my thing. I could remember back then in 2010 or 2009. I just wouldn't listen to rap songs.

For one, I didn't think it was music. Rap never felt like music to me. And Secondly, I don't want to struggle to understand what was being said.

Anyways, I listened to Eminem's Not Afraid and became instantly hooked.

I listened to the song almost all through the day. And then I listened to more of his songs, pick a lots of favorites which became my Playlist.

I then started searching for more rappers like him and stuffs.

Back to 2024 now, I want to change my taste of music. And there's a huge reason for this.

Music sends messages to our subconscious. It dictates moods and thoughts and can easily influence how you view yourself and the people around you.

I have gone very deep in this rap culture, started listening to songs by the likes of Meek Mill, NF, Juice WRLD, and so on.

But when I look at the lifestyle of these people, the way they talk, act and behave, I always have one single thought: "these are not the kind of people I should be drawing my inspiration from"

Not to judge but most of these people are not the kind of role models I want or would ever want to look up to.

Secondly, their songs nowadays are always very depressing, deprecating and self focused and I didn't like how these songs make me see the world.

I realized this was a problem a while ago but I kept listening to these songs because I've grown accustom to them or should I say addicted.

But for the last few months, I've been making changes to my music taste. I've included more gospel songs to my library. Thanks to Chris Morgan and others, I now force myself to listen to gospel songs.

And it has not really been easy. But I'm happy to say that even though I subconsciously miss those rap songs, I'm glad to be making efforts to listen to different genres now.

I'm also listening to more Nigerian songs especially Afrobeats. I judge these are "feel good" songs and most of the time, they keep you in high spirit and probably make you want to dance.

This to me feels a lot better than the depressing feelings I get from western raps.

Honestly, you'll never know how things are if you're not trying to leave it.

A few days ago I saw a friend listening to NF and the first thing I wanted to tell him was to leave these types of music that causes depression.

But then again, everyone had their choice and I just kept quiet.

Good points raised here OP.
MUSIC is a/the FOOD for the SOUL.
BREAD is the food for the BODY.
BIBLE is the food for the SPIRIT, SOUL, & BODY.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by AllenSpencer: 12:17pm On Feb 29
Very true!

Drillz has corrupted by brains too. The more I run, the more it catches up with me.

Always anxious to hear that somebody got smoked.

I be following kill charts like football.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Bfly: 12:17pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

You start out not liking a particular type of music and then one day you hit a song you like and from there, you start liking other songs by the singer.

Rap songs was never my thing. I could remember back then in 2010 or 2009. I just wouldn't listen to rap songs.

For one, I didn't think it was music. Rap never felt like music to me. And Secondly, I don't want to struggle to understand what was being said.

I listened to the song almost all through the day. And then I listened to more of his songs, pick a lots of favorites which became my Playlist.

Back to 2024 now, I want to change my taste of music. And there's a huge reason for this.

Music sends messages to our subconscious. It dictates moods and thoughts and can easily influence how you view yourself and the people around you.

I have gone very deep in this rap culture, started listening to songs by the likes of Meek Mill, NF, Juice WRLD, and so on.

But when I look at the lifestyle of these people, the way they talk, act and behave, I always have one single thought: "these are not the kind of people I should be drawing my inspiration from"

Not to judge but most of these people are not the kind of role models I want or would ever want to look up to.

Secondly, their songs nowadays are always very depressing, deprecating and self focused and I didn't like how these songs make me see the world.

I realized this was a problem a while ago but I kept listening to these songs because I've grown accustom to them or should I say addicted.

But for the last few months, I've been making changes to my music taste. I've included more gospel songs to my library. Thanks to Chris Morgan and others, I now force myself to listen to gospel songs.

And it has not really been easy. But I'm happy to say that even though I subconsciously miss those rap songs, I'm glad to be making efforts to listen to different genres now.

I'm also listening to more Nigerian songs especially Afrobeats. I judge these are "feel good" songs and most of the time, they keep you in high spirit and probably make you want to dance.

This to me feels a lot better than the depressing feelings I get from western raps.

A few days ago I saw a friend listening to NF and the first thing I wanted to tell him was to leave these types of music that causes depression.

Christian Gospel could be the best for you as a Christian but afrobeat will kill you more than rap did. Pls runaway from that genre called aftobeats. Talking from experience. Now, I listen to emotrap when I feel hopeless, gangstertrap when I want some street motivation, I listen to hillsong when sober. I always want hillsong above all.

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Mikespecialone(m): 12:17pm On Feb 29
Reggae , the only type of music that touches my heart , body and soul , infact reggae is so spiritual

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by SkengRay: 12:22pm On Feb 29
Artscollection:

Try peter tosh and you will call him a prophet!!
My no 1 reggae prophet
I like him too especially that Equal right track one of my fav
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by lendahand(m): 12:22pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

NF got depressed after his mother died from drug abuse but he's doing his best in seeking out the truth which is God almighty. I love his songs too.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by incogni2o: 12:22pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

One thing you don't do as a Music Lover is stereotype Music people Listen to.

But one thing for sure, Depressing Music doens't necessarily mean it's Bad, Truth to be told, Sometimes knowing other people have felt the way you feel is a little comforting. i think some Hymns can be also depressing too (at least in this world).

Some people specialize in that genre, (It's called Blues) .

NF's Music is something Youths(especially) feel attached to cos it shows they aren't the only one going through same situations.

BTW, NF sang a lot of Christian songs eailer in His career.
Check up Overdose, Until I Die, I got Jesus

I think what you should rather say is for people not to get stuck in a genre. Music is Music and is a gateway to the soul, Rap or Gospel.
Stereotyping or getting stuck in a genre is one of the worse things a Music Lover does to Himself/Herself.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by MemphitzDgreat1(m): 12:23pm On Feb 29
Music I listen to are mostly from the 80's and 90's... Both local and foreign.
Music of this generation sucks... especially this current Afrobeats trend! They've got dumb artists who spit out dumb lyrics to an even dumber audience.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by captainbangz: 12:24pm On Feb 29
I don't smoke, drink, or womanize. But my best genre of music is rap(trap actually) . the likes of Lilbaby, Dababy, Future, Quavo, Lildurk, Moneybag Yo, Gunna e.t.c. are my favs. Because they make me see the world as it truly is and mostly true nature of girls(this generation) and why I should put them aside for now and focus on my life, and it as well inspires me to keep working hard.

Not some Joeboy, Fireboy Music that'll make one loose his common sense.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by qtx(m): 12:24pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

In the days of pac, biggie, Pddy, naughty by nature, DMX, etc that was when rap was deep and heavy. That said, i think you are a guy with self control and a sense of decency. Leaving any habitual music at will is not always easy. In all, the gospel music is what puts anyone in the right focus and direction. You made the right decision. Keep going ahead.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by BigDickProblems: 12:26pm On Feb 29
I might struggle to try listen to any kind of song (Country, Blues, RNB etc) that I don't like, but you see Nigerian songs (Stark or what's her name, Burn Boy, Fireboy, WizKid, etc), I can never stoop so low to listen to those rubbish content songs.

3 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by killsmith(f): 12:29pm On Feb 29
He said he's deep into rap culture then he mentions meek mill and juice world.
*Laughs run dmc and slick rick.*

I can give you some good educative albums to inspire you.

Tribe called quest: Midnight marauders and low end theory.
Lupe fiasco: Drill music in zion, tetsuo and youth.
Elzhi: the preface, zhegiest, lead poison.
Cunningluinguist : will rap for food.
Killah priest: Heavy mental.
Jay z: 4:44
Royce da 5 9: The allegory.
Blu: below the heavens.
Mos def: black on both sides.
Kendrick lamar: Damn.
Nas and Damien marley : Distant relatives.
Mick jenkins: pieces of a man.
Etcetera etcetera.

Hip hop is life. It is the vibration of the soul.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by STEWpid(f): 12:30pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

Bullshitticus!!

Don't look at it from religious views.

Who you are matters!!!

You should be stronger than for music to determine your direction in life!

I'm an adult, a woman with great experience.

I listen to any song that appeals to my mind; it doesn't change a thing.

It is only a so-called born again and genz Christians that will say song influences people,,

Yes, it influences those with feeble mind,,

No, it doesn't influence people who have focus; who have worked and are still working so hard to give their life meaning.

The boobs and so many immoralities in town is enough to shift you off track even when you listen to gospel songs..

But remember, even the gospel song singers and listeners are not really Holy!!

Chai..
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Jessyjeff: 12:31pm On Feb 29
Listen more to Jazz and Blues.
You will thank me later.
Radio Swiss Jazz ( a cable radio station based in Zurich, Switzerland), changed the way i listen to music.

I equally enjoyed Blue Notes ( 3 hours Jazz program on Sundays) , on Jam FM, Berlin.

Such music elevates ones consciousness
I have hundreds of Jazz tracks and musicians to listen to anytime i want.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Demiurgos: 12:34pm On Feb 29
I don't listen to songs, na music i dey jam. I don't care about lyrics, as long as the music is able to make me nod my head repeatedly it is good in my books.
EDMs FTW
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Jeje247: 12:36pm On Feb 29
I have a wide variety of genre on my playlist. Different songs for different scenario. Can't listen to one type of music for too long. I'd get bored and annoyed
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Wende302(f): 12:37pm On Feb 29
There are gospel rap artists with good songs. Listen to Lecrae. Start with his song Deconstruction cause that’s been my favorite for months. His songs come with depth. I’m a Christian and I love rap, so I go for artists that are in line with my faith. Listen to Hulvey, 1k Phew, Andy mineo and the likes. Rap has a depth no other genre of music has. You just gotta find artists with your beliefs.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by thesicilian: 12:42pm On Feb 29
For me it's Eminem till death so us part
Most of his songs are highly motivational, his lyrical genius is unrivalled and simply just badass. There is literally a song for every mood.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Asinini: 12:42pm On Feb 29
Music is Spiritual, i can relate very well to what op is saying..
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by ObalendeCMS: 12:46pm On Feb 29
I got hooked to rap music early 2000 listening to Eminem - cleaning out my closet & Lose yourself. Reason been that I was able to relate to those tracks because he had the type of childhood I did. Subsequently, I started listening to Nas, Rick Ross & the likes. Most rapper are very intelligent & experienced; they'll dish out lot of knowledge in just 3 verse. I never liked raggae music until I got introduced to Damian Marley & I'm hooked. I love conscious music & music that makes of think deep like Rakim & Nas because you are definitely going to learn alot from their lyrics. Sometimes, I just need to read lyrics on the internet to get my morale boost, so I'm very careful of the kind of music I listen to. All these genz rappers is a no-no for me; too depressing lyrics & sounds.
Btw, I dislike gospel music with passion only if it's (hard) rock gospel music.

Gospel music fit turn man to simp!

I like r&b too & my best r&b music is "Stole° by Kelly Rowland.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by dkidd: 12:50pm On Feb 29
richiemcgold:
Seems you didn't enjoy the best of rap though. I say this because (apart from Eminem), those artists you mentioned are not really hardcore rappers. Have you tried Wu Tang, ice cube, Dr Dre, Andre 3000, Nas, big pun, Naughty by nature, LL cool j, Redman & Method man, 50cent, Jay Z, Biggie smalls and others?

Check this out below: some of my best rap songs of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLSbWDVI_pw?si=HFLbhDuM-6epNr1K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYxAiK6VnXw?si=NKUh_9dDJNgbcwki

All in all, reggae is the best song I can recommend for any music lover. No other genre of song is as spiritual, inspirational and evergreen like reggae; most especially root reggae of the 60s, 70s & 80s.

You Sabi quality music; walahi. 🫡🫡🫡
Nothin sounds better than a root reggae vibes.
Exactly what I wanted to let him know. They don't rap anymore. I still listen to the early rappers till date and they send better messages than these little industry puppets, talking about rappers and he's mentioning juicewrld or whatever the fck his name is most of them sing and Mumble rap to beats save for a few who are a bit old like Lil Wayne, J.Cole, Nas, Em, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Tavis Scott, Ye and the likes of them.

I still listen to reggae like, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, Burning Spears, Culture ,Sizzla, Buju, I don't really fancy Eric Donaldson he's not really into the strong messages, Majek, Fantan Mojah, Jimmy Cliff, Gregory Isaacs, Luciano, U-Roy,

And some new ones like vybez cartel, Movado, Busy Signal to name a few.

I only use those modern trap rappers when I'm jogging, working out and during basketball training cos I don't get to listen to the crap they say but vibe to the beats.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Blakjewelry(m): 1:04pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

These are not rap songs na, rap is my thing but I think the last rap song I listen to is Lil Wayne while in Nigeria is MI.

They don't do rap anymore I think they call it trap song.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by unity004(m): 1:06pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

it's not the genre but ur choice of artists by the way we still have gospel rappers. Just look out for positive songs like Nas - I can, Jay Z -History and Slick rick - Children's Story/Hey young world e.t.c
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by daclint(m): 1:09pm On Feb 29
There's nothing wrong with bro, truth is like me u like rap songs and am not sure u can change that, I can't relate with Nigerian music, don't know why, I prefer rap songs and when I say rap songs am talking about underground rappers cuz that's where the truth tellers are, try and listen to end of days by Vinnie paz and you'll start seeing this world diffently and also try and listen to, Sean price, MF doom, nems, immortal technique, Vinnie Paz, ra da ruggedman and planet Asia.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by ruzell86: 1:14pm On Feb 29
Artscollection:
Try

NAS!!!! He is a teacher!! Jayz speaks volume also
Tupac na poet cum rapper!! Kendrich they follow 2pac footstep.
All mentioned are nothing compared to Biggie Smalls. Dude spits fire! 🔥

Only Tupac came a bit close.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by kessiah: 1:17pm On Feb 29
SkengRay:
Yeah broski. I stopped listening to all these low vibrational music these industry plants are feeding us. I've started listening to Eric Donaldson, Bob Marley, Lucky Dube, Majek Fashek and the rest. And Also 1960s Highlife music, Apala- My fav atm

you are on point, I developed that since I was a teen, for me, its either Raggae, High life or Gospel, you get inspired from these than what these Gen-z are singing now

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Erums(m): 1:23pm On Feb 29
I listen to adele.... Hooked
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Artscollection: 1:24pm On Feb 29
ruzell86:

All mentioned are nothing compared to Biggie Smalls. Dude spits fire! 🔥

Only Tupac came a bit close.

shocked
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by superCleanworks(m): 1:24pm On Feb 29
Printme1:

Rock music & House Music. Number one
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by superCleanworks(m): 1:25pm On Feb 29
Who else listens to EDM & HOUSE MUSIC?
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by razzydoo(m): 1:28pm On Feb 29
Depends. I’ve got very diverse music taste. I can listen to any from portable to Jigga to Frank Edwards to Angelique Kidjo. But it doesn’t make me a gangbanger or anything sort of. Music is education. Just be open minded. Music is awareness of the world you live in. You might never visit Australia or Senegal in your lifetime but music can take you there. Even the ‘Em op mentioned, you’ve not delved deeply into Em’s music cause ‘Em is like a professor. I could go on and on…

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Portable Ft. Bobrisky - Brotherhood Mp3 Download / Chris Brown – Questions Download (luvmp) / 2Face Idibia Finally Releases Another Album?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.