Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,229 members, 7,829,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:04 AM

This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To (17772 Views)

Why I Mostly Sing In Yoruba Language – Asake / Download Music: 'I Don't Care' By Steves J. Bryan (free Mp3 Download) / MUSIC--I Too Like Woman By Rema Download Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by superCleanworks(m): 1:39pm On Feb 29
razzydoo:
Just be open minded. Music is awareness of the world you live in. You might never visit Australia or Senegal in your lifetime but music can take you there.
Very correct. Everytime I listen to Tiesto or Robin Schulz or Jonas Blue, I just find myself in Ibiza or Miami.

Yeah. Someone heard me singing CORAZON ESPINADO and was asking me how I knew spanish.

I have listened to rap from cool modelling E & craigmack to MoneyBag Yo but I still have wide ears for Ebenezer Obey & Edith Paif.

Like you said, diversity is important
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by razzydoo(m): 1:43pm On Feb 29
superCleanworks:

Yeah. Someone heard me singing CORAZON ESPINADO and was asking me how I knew spanish.
I learnt a little French through one of Akon’s Song. C’est l’argent facile. He featured a French rapper, red cafe.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by CountinBlessins(m): 1:46pm On Feb 29
2shure:
Marshall matters LP. The whole album.2001.i can't forget it.i still play it almost every week.

Now this is a person that knows real music

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by lanre316: 1:52pm On Feb 29
Printme1:
Music is powerful and ADDICTIVE.

You start out not liking a particular type of music and then one day you hit a song you like and from there, you start liking other songs by the singer.

And then new songs from the genre.

It was like this for me with music.

Rap songs was never my thing. I could remember back then in 2010 or 2009. I just wouldn't listen to rap songs.

For one, I didn't think it was music. Rap never felt like music to me. And Secondly, I don't want to struggle to understand what was being said.

Anyways, I listened to Eminem's Not Afraid and became instantly hooked.

I listened to the song almost all through the day. And then I listened to more of his songs, pick a lots of favorites which became my Playlist.

I then started searching for more rappers like him and stuffs.

Back to 2024 now, I want to change my taste of music. And there's a huge reason for this.

Music sends messages to our subconscious. It dictates moods and thoughts and can easily influence how you view yourself and the people around you.

I have gone very deep in this rap culture, started listening to songs by the likes of Meek Mill, NF, Juice WRLD, and so on.

But when I look at the lifestyle of these people, the way they talk, act and behave, I always have one single thought: "these are not the kind of people I should be drawing my inspiration from"

Not to judge but most of these people are not the kind of role models I want or would ever want to look up to.

Secondly, their songs nowadays are always very depressing, deprecating and self focused and I didn't like how these songs make me see the world.

I realized this was a problem a while ago but I kept listening to these songs because I've grown accustom to them or should I say addicted.

But for the last few months, I've been making changes to my music taste. I've included more gospel songs to my library. Thanks to Chris Morgan and others, I now force myself to listen to gospel songs.

And it has not really been easy. But I'm happy to say that even though I subconsciously miss those rap songs, I'm glad to be making efforts to listen to different genres now.

I'm also listening to more Nigerian songs especially Afrobeats. I judge these are "feel good" songs and most of the time, they keep you in high spirit and probably make you want to dance.

This to me feels a lot better than the depressing feelings I get from western raps.

Honestly, you'll never know how things are if you're not trying to leave it.

A few days ago I saw a friend listening to NF and the first thing I wanted to tell him was to leave these types of music that causes depression.

But then again, everyone had their choice and I just kept quiet.

NF is a Christian rap artist, in the style of Eminem. Very good lyricist.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Johnjustice: 1:53pm On Feb 29
I like rap, but you are right. It's the words, words are life and alive.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by lanre316: 1:54pm On Feb 29
Mikespecialone:
Reggae , the only type is music that touches my heart , body and soul , infact reggae is so spiritual

You're very correct. That's why only few set of conscious people appreciate reggae music.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by DissTroy(m): 2:07pm On Feb 29
People who want to listen to only feel good fast-paced songs, I have discovered in my experience, are not deep and mostly happy-go-lucky.

If you listen to introspective songs like Sia, Passenger, Jon Bellion and the likes, it tells about who you are. During the talking stage with any female, I sort of gauge their level of introspectiveness with her music tastes, and I've never been wrong about them.

Introspective people - ambiverts mostly - ruminate on their actions, conversations they have had, and are more likely to make amends than all these fast-paced songs females who crrave the spotlight and want to drown their thoughts.

No, if you are at peace with yourself, listening to R&B songs, and a medley of alternative music and jazz wouldn't make you depressed. I listen to these all day for hours on end while working and I have never felt depressed.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by NeoWanZaeed(m): 2:12pm On Feb 29
Eminem musicals are his own personal experiences.

Hence, people learn a lot from him

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Snowx: 2:21pm On Feb 29
Reggae music all the way..some of them were projects especially Lucky Dube
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by joseph1832(m): 2:24pm On Feb 29
DissTroy:
People who want to listen to only feel good fast-paced songs, I have discovered in my experience, are not deep and mostly happy-go-lucky.

If you listen to introspective songs like Sia, Passenger, Jon Bellion and the likes, it tells about who you are. During the talking stage with any female, I sort of gauge their level of introspectiveness with her music tastes, and I've never been wrong about them.

Introspective people - ambiverts mostly - ruminate on their actions, conversations they have had, and are more likely to make amends than all these fast-paced songs females who crrave the spotlight and want to drown their thoughts.

No, if you are at peace with yourself, listening to R&B songs, and a medley of alternative music and jazz wouldn't make you depressed. I listen to these all day for hours on end while working and I have never felt depressed.
OH well, I guess my genre says alot about who I am also, a devil worshipper is what most call me, because I listen to Rock. Lol.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by DissTroy(m): 2:33pm On Feb 29
joseph1832:
OH well, I guess my genre says alot about who I am also, a devil worshipper is what most call me, because I listen to Rock. Lol.

Rock puts one in that introspective mood too and the rhythm is better than all these Shalli-whatever and hairbrained Odumodu songs people listen to these days.

There's Soft Rock, Hard Rock, and Mid-tempo Rock.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Mikespecialone(m): 2:45pm On Feb 29
lanre316:

You're very correct. That's why only few set of conscious people appreciate reggae music.

Exactly
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by TonyBby: 2:47pm On Feb 29
Spagi:
As a song writer juice world song its the best cant live without it,emo rap music is my thing for life just waiting for my time to shine
XXXtentacion does it for me.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Chukwuka319(m): 3:10pm On Feb 29
Op has 💯% point with this.
Music is spiritual and powerful,has the ability to attract good and evil spirits to a person's life.
According to the late Reggae icon Bob Marley, Music is Spiritual.
Personally I don't listen to the songs of our secular artists, like Davido,Burnaboy, Naira Marley and co, because their songs glorifies lust, sensuality,gluttony, riotous living.
Moreover the lifestyle of most of these our secular artists is a big fat turnoff to liking their songs.
At times I wonder what message and spirit are borne in the music of a secular artist who lives an immoral lifestyle.
Music originated from Heaven among the hosts of Angels, and Satan knows the power of music.
Before his fall,he was the Chief Chorister before the Presence of God.
There are secular songs that mention the names of Demons.
For instance Rihanna' s song Diamonds mentioned Poseidon, and Poseidon is the name of the Greek god of the sea.
It comes in the lyric "Like Poseidon, from the energy I saw within"
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by RickyJesus: 3:15pm On Feb 29
Pastoshizzy:
Me. I'm old skool like Earth, Wind and Fire.
From how they stood, it's actually wind, fire and Earth.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Xtraterestial: 3:16pm On Feb 29
Certain melodies,songs can be to melancholic,Im always surprised at the kind of depression induced songs some ppl like listening to, e.g some cold play or Adel songs and the likes.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Spagi(m): 3:24pm On Feb 29
TonyBby:
XXXtentacion does it for me.
his song hope is dope,lil peep this guys always light up my mood but juice is a legend.999
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by SoaringLife01: 3:26pm On Feb 29
I will love hardcore rap till old age..there is no dull depressing moment listening to artistes like Tupac, Notorious Big, Nate Dogg, Ludacris, Twista, Busta Rhymes, Ice Cube, Nas, Wyclef Jean, Eve, Mary J Blige.
Reggae is another good genre of music to boost morale..Burning Spears, Bob Marley, Don Carlos, Mandators, Lucky Dube, Oritz Wiliki,

2 Likes

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by BluntCrazeMan: 3:49pm On Feb 29
I no even like music with understandable human words..

I just love orchestra..

(Or music with only Instrumentals...
And any included Human voices are not supposed to be saying any meaningful words -- eg. Yanni, Beethoven, Handel, etc)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Makaveli217(m): 3:49pm On Feb 29
WhiteWood:
Same here, I now listen to jazz and souls -- Mann, these music touch the soul. Otis Redding -- Nina Simone -- and more

My type of music, Jazz, Blues and Soul, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Doris Day, Etta James, Gray Moore, Nat King Cole, Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin. Etc.

Blues, Jazz, Soul, Classical & Good Old Country Music Works hand in hand.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Obainoman6: 3:59pm On Feb 29
saasala:

I'm the total opposite of this.

In 2013 I 'backslided' happily, renounced Christianity and Christ. I deleted all the gospel music on my phone and started listening to more of rap, RnB, Afrobeats, juju, fuji etc and I'm just loving it.

Now I listen to every kind of music, depending on my mood except gospel.
Music sometimes does not define the kind of person you are. Most times its just for the fun of it. You can listen to rap and rap along with them and say all those foul languages and all but in the real world, you are not that kind of person.

Top businessmen around the world listen to rap and even associate themselves with rappers but they don't smoke, or do drugs or use foul languages or sag their trousers.

Keep playing, music influences you like no other thing, you might not be doing do it now but deep down you endorse it, support and follow it.
Just small opportunity to do it presents itself to you and you indulge then you want to do it again, then you want more and more and more.
You are just humble now cos you don't have the money, fame and lifestyle yet.
You are what you listen to, i love rap so much i live in it and i don't deny it.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Creeknigga(m): 4:13pm On Feb 29
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by lanre316: 4:21pm On Feb 29
joseph1832:

You're not alone. We plenty.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by StrikeBack(m): 4:56pm On Feb 29
Reggae or nothing
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by AJEEJA: 4:57pm On Feb 29
Music is about many things. You're shortchanging yourself if you listen to ONLY one type of music. Only one type of rap. RAP is the GREATEST music genre ever. I can never say this enough. So, I guess you're the problem. Not the music.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Pastoshizzy(m): 5:09pm On Feb 29
RickyJesus:

From how they stood, it's actually wind, fire and Earth.
You're talking about the picture. I was thinking bout the music. undecided
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by RickyJesus: 6:49pm On Feb 29
Pastoshizzy:
You're talking about the picture. I was thinking bout the music. undecided
That's the name of the group.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by SkengRay: 7:10pm On Feb 29
dkidd:

Exactly what I wanted to let him know. They don't rap anymore. I still listen to the early rappers till date and they send better messages than these little industry puppets, talking about rappers and he's mentioning juicewrld or whatever the fck his name is most of them sing and Mumble rap to beats save for a few who are a bit old like Lil Wayne, J.Cole, Nas, Em, Kendrick Lamar, Drake, Tavis Scott, Ye and the likes of them.

I still listen to reggae like, Peter Tosh, Bob Marley, Burning Spears, Culture ,Sizzla, Buju, I don't really fancy Eric Donaldson he's not really into the strong messages, Majek, Fantan Mojah, Jimmy Cliff, Gregory Isaacs, Luciano, U-Roy,

And some new ones like vybez cartel, Movado, Busy Signal to name a few.

I only use those modern trap rappers when I'm jogging, working out and during basketball training cos I don't get to listen to the crap they say but vibe to the beats.
Eric Donaldson is more of a Romantic guy and he promotes Nationalism.

1 Like

Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Josbreed: 7:11pm On Feb 29
Rap music is bae. The problem nowadays is trap music or whatever they call it, very nonsensical.
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Offpoint1: 8:07pm On Feb 29
Printme1:
Music is powerful and ADDICTIVE.

You start out not liking a particular type of music and then one day you hit a song you like and from there, you start liking other songs by the singer.

And then new songs from the genre.

It was like this for me with music.

Rap songs was never my thing. I could remember back then in 2010 or 2009. I just wouldn't listen to rap songs.

For one, I didn't think it was music. Rap never felt like music to me. And Secondly, I don't want to struggle to understand what was being said.

Anyways, I listened to Eminem's Not Afraid and became instantly hooked.

I listened to the song almost all through the day. And then I listened to more of his songs, pick a lots of favorites which became my Playlist.

I then started searching for more rappers like him and stuffs.

Back to 2024 now, I want to change my taste of music. And there's a huge reason for this.

Music sends messages to our subconscious. It dictates moods and thoughts and can easily influence how you view yourself and the people around you.

I have gone very deep in this rap culture, started listening to songs by the likes of Meek Mill, NF, Juice WRLD, and so on.

But when I look at the lifestyle of these people, the way they talk, act and behave, I always have one single thought: "these are not the kind of people I should be drawing my inspiration from"

Not to judge but most of these people are not the kind of role models I want or would ever want to look up to.

Secondly, their songs nowadays are always very depressing, deprecating and self focused and I didn't like how these songs make me see the world.

I realized this was a problem a while ago but I kept listening to these songs because I've grown accustom to them or should I say addicted.

But for the last few months, I've been making changes to my music taste. I've included more gospel songs to my library. Thanks to Chris Morgan and others, I now force myself to listen to gospel songs.

And it has not really been easy. But I'm happy to say that even though I subconsciously miss those rap songs, I'm glad to be making efforts to listen to different genres now.

I'm also listening to more Nigerian songs especially Afrobeats. I judge these are "feel good" songs and most of the time, they keep you in high spirit and probably make you want to dance.

This to me feels a lot better than the depressing feelings I get from western raps.

Honestly, you'll never know how things are if you're not trying to leave it.

A few days ago I saw a friend listening to NF and the first thing I wanted to tell him was to leave these types of music that causes depression.

But then again, everyone had their choice and I just kept quiet.
Dude how do you get depressed with Eminem songs?
My daily dose of songs:

Eminem
Enya
Lucky Dube
Lil Wayne (he's vulgar, but he's got some track with deep wording)
Dax
Phora

I can't do without the first 3 in a day.

I have zero taste for Nigeria songs, except old timaya/Wande Coal
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by 4KNGOATS(m): 8:40pm On Feb 29
Addictive listeners of music are dullards prove me wrong
Re: This Is Why I Am Changing The Kind Of Music I Listen To by Okuntade17(m): 9:29pm On Feb 29
See everyone music is life I love it especially naija songs but mostly I listen to burna boy
There is no situation you are in no matter the situation there is always a song that fit ur current situation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Music: Zlatan – Unripe Pawpaw (mp3) / Pictures: Azonto Vs Etighi Dance! Which Is Best And Why? / When Will Nigerian Songs Stop Being About Sex, Money & Love?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.