Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,404 members, 7,812,192 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:52 AM

Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route (2830 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 4:43pm On Mar 01
Earlier today, I wanted to pay SEVIS fee to process my an admission into an American school. And I saw that the SEVIS fee is now #619,850. The visa fee for the F-1 category is now #333,000 (this was just #67000 two years ago). This doesn’t guarantee visa o as you still need to have sufficient fund to show them at the embassy. Some schools charge as high as $30,000 for a year.

I’m tired . I really am

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:03pm On Mar 01
Better pay it now o. By next year e fit be 4 million. You think tinubu is joking with you.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 5:23pm On Mar 01
tensazangetsu20:
Better pay it now o. By next year e fit be 4 million. You think tinubu is joking with you.

That’s 952k paid in a total of a day.. damn! Individual still needs to hustle POF. Most school you pay around 12 to 20k per semester.

1 Like

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by ednut1(m): 5:28pm On Mar 01
😳
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Hannania(m): 6:32pm On Mar 01
KillingJoke:

Don't think of going to that shit hole

Better stay here and grow a business
US is a shit hole cheesy. It's always people who aren't informed of the possibilities, or imaginary business men with out shi Shi that advise people on travel threads. Other categories are those who have successful business, and know for a fact that business has no market in the western world. For this set, it's understandable, but what the hell are they doing gatekeeping people that want to travel

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Raalsalghul: 7:29pm On Mar 01
tensazangetsu20:

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 7:34pm On Mar 01
goodman023:
Earlier today, I wanted to pay SEVIS fee to process my an admission into an American school. And I saw that the SEVIS fee is now #619,850. The visa fee for the F-1 category is now #333,000 (this was just #67000 two years ago). This doesn’t guarantee visa o as you still need to have sufficient fund to show them at the embassy. Some schools charge as high as $30,000 for a year.

I’m tired . I really am

If your sponsors aren't very rich, it is pointless to study in the US. Better seek full funding from the department. Alternatively, if you have a BSc and five year work experience or BSc&MSc, apply for NIW. Studying in the US doesn't translate to the right to work in the country as that route is lottery dependent. Your target should be to gain the right to work in the US rather than study. Once that right is achieved, you play the long game to permanent residency and eventual citizenship.

4 Likes

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 7:36pm On Mar 01
goodman023:

That’s 952k paid in a total of a day.. damn! Individual still needs to hustle POF. Most school you pay around 12 to 20k per semester.

Sorry, but this is not feasible or even advisable for the US. POF rarely works in the US because where would you work as a part-time student to raise money for other expenses? If folks in the UK are finding it difficult to get student part-time jobs, how much more the US?

1 Like

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by ednut1(m): 7:47pm On Mar 01
Gerrard59:

Sorry, but this is not feasible or even advisable for the US. POF rarely works in the US because where would you work as a part-time student to raise money for other expenses? If folks in the UK are finding it difficult to get student part-time jobs, how much more the US?
under the table jobs/ using people’s paper to work is normal in USA. Have you seen any 9ja USA students lamenting online 🤣

3 Likes

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 7:50pm On Mar 01
ednut1:
under the table jobs/ using people’s paper to work is normal in USA. Have you seen any 9ja USA students lamenting online 🤣

If so, it is possible, especially as there are many of such jobs in the US. Kudos to them for their sheer grit, notwithstanding the illegality.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tobasco: 7:53pm On Mar 01
Federal Polytechnic Ayede Ogbomoso Oyo State.
Admission in Progress

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:04pm On Mar 01
ednut1:

Not Nigerians but other nationalities studying in the USA dey complain on Reddit o especially indians and Chinese. They even advise their people not to come. But then again I don't see how you can raise 40k annually to pay tuition fees working illegally.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by ednut1(m): 8:41pm On Mar 01
tensazangetsu20:

Not Nigerians but other nationalities studying in the USA dey complain on Reddit o especially indians and Chinese. They even advise their people not to come. But then again I don't see how you can raise 40k annually to pay tuition fees working illegally.
many of the schools give them loans too. One of my former colleague doing MBA of 70k or so. Half of it is in loans. Baba said economy is not doing too well and most of his fellow 9ja international students don find African American to marry as backup. Immigration dey make people do things they wont usually do 😭

1 Like

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:45pm On Mar 01
ednut1:
many of the schools give them loans too. One of my former colleague doing MBA of 70k or so. Half of it is in loans. Baba said economy is not doing too well and most of his fellow 9ja international students don find African American to marry as backup. Immigration dey make people do things they wont usually do 😭

Lol make e marry o. E better than coming back to smile with tinubu
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by macklef(m): 9:33pm On Mar 01
Gerrard59:

If your sponsors aren't very rich, it is pointless to study in the US. Better seek full funding from the department. Alternatively, if you have a BSc and five year work experience or BSc&MSc, apply for NIW. Studying in the US doesn't translate to the right to work in the country as that route is lottery dependent. Your target should be to gain the right to work in the US rather than study. Once that right is achieved, you play the long game to permanent residency and eventual citizenship.
Are you saying one can hustle right to work without being a student first? And if one is a student. And how easy is it for someone in the UK with msc to transit to the US
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 10:28pm On Mar 01
Gerrard59:

Thank you Gerrard59, your contributions on this website are very very insightful always. Yes, the eventual goal is to get citizenship. And it’s scary looking at the tuition fee charged by my school. No one will give me such kind of money. The National interest waiver option is one ive been looking at for a long time since I actually have a masters degree. However, I discouraged myself because I thought one cannot file outside of the US, but now I know better.

I’m looking at relatively cheap schools in Western Europe countries like Germany etc. My potentials are getting wasted and time is going Gerrrard, yeah time is going

2 Likes

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:48pm On Mar 01
goodman023:

Thank you Gerrard59, your contributions on this website are very very insightful always. Yes, the eventual goal is to get citizenship. And it’s scary looking at the tuition fee charged by my school. No one will give me such kind of money. The National interest waiver option is one ive been looking at for a long time since I actually have a masters degree. However, I discouraged myself because I thought one cannot file outside of the US, but now I know better.

I’m looking at relatively cheap schools in Western Europe countries like Germany etc. My potentials are getting wasted and time is going Gerrrard, yeah time is going

Don't bother with Germany except you want to leave Nigeria 2027 or 2028 especially if you didn't graduate with first class in the last two years. If you get a scholarship in the US and a visa go and start working on the NIW immediately you land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 2:09am On Mar 02
tensazangetsu20:

Don't bother with Germany except you want to leave Nigeria 2027 or 2028 especially if you didn't graduate with first class in the last two years. If you get a scholarship in the US and a visa go and start working on the NIW immediately you land.

I heard people going for a PhD in Germany are treated the same way with a priority visa appointment date as a first class graduate
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 2:13am On Mar 02
goodman023:

I heard people going for a PhD in Germany are treated the same way with a priority visa appointment date as a first class graduate

This is true but masters is something else.

1 Like

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by pseudonomer: 5:58am On Mar 02
tensazangetsu20:

2027/2028? Overestimating? If you book an appointment now, you’d be in Germany 2025/2026.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Onekilo: 6:59am On Mar 02
Go to cheaper schools abroad located in Eastern Europe. If you need guidance, let me know.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by MONEY247: 7:46am On Mar 02
Anything you want to do do it now, you might pay more later
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 8:24am On Mar 02
macklef:

Are you saying one can hustle right to work without being a student first? And if one is a student. And how easy is it for someone in the UK with msc to transit to the US

There is this belief that the route to work authorisation into the US labour market is straightforward and automatic just because one studied at and graduated from an institution in the US. That belief is entirely false. It is not automatic neither is it straightforward. The aim is to gain work authorisation into the US labour market, which is what the NIW is for. It is your responsibility to go through its requirements.

Moving from the UK as a FOREIGN graduate to work in the US is the same if you were in Nigeria and the same for British citizens. There is no automatic route. The NIW is the preferred route. It might be faster in the UK, but the process is the same.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by sammyscholar(m): 8:46am On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

There is this belief that the route to work authorisation into the US labour market is straightforward and automatic just because one studied at and graduated from an institution in the US. That belief is entirely false. It is not automatic neither is it straightforward. The aim is to gain work authorisation into the US labour market, which is what the NIW is for. It is your responsibility to go through its requirements.

Moving from the UK as a FOREIGN graduate to work in the US is the same if you were in Nigeria and the same for British citizens. There is no automatic route. The NIW is the preferred route. It might be faster in the UK, but the process is the same.
Pls o, what does NIW stand for?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 9:13am On Mar 02
sammyscholar:
Pls o, what does NIW stand for?

National interest waiver. You can basically file for US green card yourself these days and get a green card from Nigeria and then transit to the US

1 Like

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 9:28am On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

The route to work authorisation isn’t straightforward like u said. Most people’s option is to do the 3yrs STEM OPT, which is a guaranteed work authorisation on its own , and either leave the country or find another way. Indians use this route and work and raise money for three years, pay the loan they borrow to get their masters degree, and some eventually leave the US with the remaining of their savings, as we all know H1B is more like a scam..
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 9:53am On Mar 02
goodman023:

The route to work authorisation isn’t straightforward like u said. Most people’s option is to do the 3yrs STEM OPT, which is a guaranteed work authorisation on its own , and either leave the country or find another way. Indians use this route and work and raise money for three years, pay the loan they borrow to get their masters degree, and some eventually leave the US with the remaining of their savings, as we all know H1B is more like a scam..

For Nigerians, it is relatively easy to move from OPT to PR. The issue is getting a firm that would employ one on that visa. Some industries are now hard to enter because employers prefer PRs or citizens. And with the massive layoffs across many industries, there are more experienced Americans in the labour pool who are willing to accept lower salaries. It is only logical for firms to employ them as they have no baggage whatsoever and possess superior experience and education.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by saintkeppy(m): 10:04am On Mar 02
goodman023:

Check schools in Poland quite close to Germany, tuition fees is cheap there and jobs available for students to cater for their needs, seek for Schengen Visa for the travelling, that will enable you tour schengen countries in Europe for better opportunities, or you reason Canada.

Cheap schools are in Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Norway are worthy mention and all are Schengen Countries.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 10:18am On Mar 02
saintkeppy:

Check schools in Poland quite close to Germany, tuition fees is cheap there and jobs available for students to cater for their needs, seek for Schengen Visa for the travelling, that will enable you tour schengen countries in Europe for better opportunities, or you reason Canada.

For unsuspecting readers, before you begin your japa plans. read through the threads of your interested countries and ask hard questions to know how it is to obtain a student visa, jobs and study there. It is extremely important. This would guide your way through. I was admitted into the University of Tartu, Estonia and with a scholarship, but declined the offer as there was no embassy in Nigeria, and applications had to be made from either Egypt or the UAE (the closest). From the Estonian thread, the total cost was a million naira (before COVID) to travel there and apply for the visa. I declined because the chances of being issued the visa to either Egypt or the UAE (tourist visa o) were low. Rather than spend such, I paid 150K as application fee to apply to another Japanese university.

In summary, Poland is unrealistic as there is almost a zero chance of being issued a student's visa. Polish universities now steer clear from Nigerian students because almost none of the accepted students gets issued a visa.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by saintkeppy(m): 10:58am On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

For unsuspecting readers, before you begin your japa plans. read through the threads of your interested countries and ask hard questions to know how it is to obtain a student visa, jobs and study there. It is extremely important. This would guide your way through. I was admitted into the University of Tartu, Estonia and with a scholarship, but declined the offer as there was no embassy in Nigeria, and applications had to be made from either Egypt or the UAE (the closest). From the Estonian thread, the total cost was a million naira (before COVID) to travel there and apply for the visa. I declined because the chances of being issued the visa to either Egypt or the UAE (tourist visa o) were low. Rather than spend such, I paid 150K as application fee to apply to another Japanese university.

In summary, Poland is unrealistic as there is almost a zero chance of being issued a student's visa. Polish universities now steer clear from Nigerian students because almost none of the accepted students gets issued a visa.

You May not be entirely correct about Poland, My very close friend of mind we graduated together went to Poland to study masters in Renewable Energy, so how did he manage to get his Visa, my own younger brother is about to move to Maritime University of Sczcezin, Poland from American University of Moldova to study Marine Engineering.
My friend who went to Poland told me his experience and it's manageable, cost of living is cheap, jobs available for students as well.
It all depends on how you look at it and your believe, like me i'm applying to Maritime University at Constanta, Romania this April for an MSc degree in Offshore Oil and Gas Technology it comes with affordable tuition fees of €5600 for an IntL student like me, €280 monthly for 20months(approx. 2yrs duration) alternatively Subsea Technology at Norwegian University of Science and Technology at Trondheim but their tuition fees is not clear to me as their Government have scrapped the free tuition fees in their public schools.

Romania might not be a fantastic country to some people in some aspects or may be due to the fact that they're also yet to join Schengen Zone for easy movement across Europe until 31st March, 2024 when they will partially join, but it is a stepping stone for me to access or migrate to other part of the world.

I was only trying to suggest how one can look at a cheaper alternative way of acquiring education abroad or Japa via student route, I think with a good and experienced EduTravel Agent, it will be much easier to get to any school of your choice as long as you can afford their services.

Your opinion is noted though.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:09am On Mar 02
pseudonomer:

2027/2028? Overestimating? If you book an appointment now, you’d be in Germany 2025/2026.

The wait time will increase as the years go by. Something that was 12 to 14 months is now at least 20 months. So 2027/2028 might be the worst case scenario. Better to always plan with the worst in the mind than be optimistic.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Time On A Plane / Advice Needed On Africa Country To Migrate To For Business / Why Is England Better Than Ireland And Scotland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.