Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,439 members, 7,812,318 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:33 AM

Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route (2831 Views)

How Do Families Pay Tens Of Millions To Japa Without Getting Ulcers / Cost Of Relocating Alone Or With Your Family From Nigeria To Uk/ Student Route / I Want To JAPA But I Am Really Confused (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Sweetvie: 11:48am On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

For unsuspecting readers, before you begin your japa plans. read through the threads of your interested countries and ask hard questions to know how it is to obtain a student visa, jobs and study there. It is extremely important. This would guide your way through. I was admitted into the University of Tartu, Estonia and with a scholarship, but declined the offer as there was no embassy in Nigeria, and applications had to be made from either Egypt or the UAE (the closest). From the Estonian thread, the total cost was a million naira (before COVID) to travel there and apply for the visa. I declined because the chances of being issued the visa to either Egypt or the UAE (tourist visa o) were low. Rather than spend such, I paid 150K as application fee to apply to another Japanese university.

In summary, Poland is unrealistic as there is almost a zero chance of being issued a student's visa. Polish universities now steer clear from Nigerian students because almost none of the accepted students gets issued a visa.
My friend was able to get a Visa to Poland last year, though.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by WantsandMore: 12:54pm On Mar 02
goodman023:

That’s 952k paid in a total of a day.. damn! Individual still needs to hustle POF. Most school you pay around 12 to 20k per semester.
I thought you could generate pof from grey
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by goodman023: 7:08pm On Mar 02
WantsandMore:
I thought you could generate pof from grey

How
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Yampotatocarrot(m): 7:27pm On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

For unsuspecting readers, before you begin your japa plans. read through the threads of your interested countries and ask hard questions to know how it is to obtain a student visa, jobs and study there. It is extremely important. This would guide your way through. I was admitted into the University of Tartu, Estonia and with a scholarship, but declined the offer as there was no embassy in Nigeria, and applications had to be made from either Egypt or the UAE (the closest). From the Estonian thread, the total cost was a million naira (before COVID) to travel there and apply for the visa. I declined because the chances of being issued the visa to either Egypt or the UAE (tourist visa o) were low. Rather than spend such, I paid 150K as application fee to apply to another Japanese university.

In summary, Poland is unrealistic as there is almost a zero chance of being issued a student's visa. Polish universities now steer clear from Nigerian students because almost none of the accepted students gets issued a visa.

Abeg,no vex o, which country are you,or are you still in Nigeria?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Elolam87(m): 7:54pm On Mar 02
It's unfortunate that Nigerian students seeking foreign admissions are now on red alert everywhere. What a hard time to be a Nigerian
Gerrard59:

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by macklef(m): 8:22pm On Mar 02
Gerrard59:

There is this belief that the route to work authorisation into the US labour market is straightforward and automatic just because one studied at and graduated from an institution in the US. That belief is entirely false. It is not automatic neither is it straightforward. The aim is to gain work authorisation into the US labour market, which is what the NIW is for. It is your responsibility to go through its requirements.

Moving from the UK as a FOREIGN graduate to work in the US is the same if you were in Nigeria and the same for British citizens. There is no automatic route. The NIW is the preferred route. It might be faster in the UK, but the process is the same.
Thanks. Understood
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 4:33am On Mar 03
saintkeppy:

You May not be entirely correct about Poland, My very close friend of mind we graduated together went to Poland to study masters in Rountry to some people in some aspects or may be due to the fact that they're also yet to join Schengen Zone for easy movement across Europe until 31st March, 2024 when they will partially join, but it is a stepping stone for me to access or migrate to other part of the world.[/b]

I was only trying to suggest how one can look at a cheaper alternative way of acquiring education abroad or Japa via student route, I think with a good and experienced EduTravel Agent, it will be much easier to get to any school of your choice as long as you can afford their services.

Your opinion is noted though.

Poland is not bad, both as an EU member, strength of passport or economy. However, the ease of being issued the visa presently as a Nigerian is what my post is interested in. See the thread on Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/2272115/polish-student-visa/564

At a point last year, people were lamenting that they could not get visa appointments or even their relatives could not get issued a visa to attend their graduate ceremonies. As for Norway, ever since the tuition-free system was cancelled, it is a no-go zone as that country is prohibitely expensive.

cc: Sweetvie

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by lastkingsman: 11:42am On Mar 03
Gerrard59:

Poland is not bad, both as an EU member, strength of passport or economy. However, the ease of being issued the visa presently as a Nigerian is what my post is interested in. See the thread on Nairaland: https://www.nairaland.com/2272115/polish-student-visa/564

At a point last year, people were lamenting that they could not get visa appointments or even their relatives could not get issued a visa to attend their graduate ceremonies. As for Norway, ever since the tuition-free system was cancelled, it is a no-go zone as that country is prohibitely expensive.

The tuition fee introduction is it only for masters or both masters and PhD?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by VeeInsider: 6:52pm On Mar 03
Hello, what's the 3yrs STEM OPT?

goodman023:

The route to work authorisation isn’t straightforward like u said. Most people’s option is to do the 3yrs STEM OPT, which is a guaranteed work authorisation on its own , and either leave the country or find another way. Indians use this route and work and raise money for three years, pay the loan they borrow to get their masters degree, and some eventually leave the US with the remaining of their savings, as we all know H1B is more like a scam..
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by gbenshe: 4:22pm On Mar 04
It's not easy. It won't be easy at all. Better now than later bcs more expensive as day dey break everyday.

goodman023:
Earlier today, I wanted to pay SEVIS fee to process my an admission into an American school. And I saw that the SEVIS fee is now #619,850. The visa fee for the F-1 category is now #333,000 (this was just #67000 two years ago). This doesn’t guarantee visa o as you still need to have sufficient fund to show them at the embassy. Some schools charge as high as $30,000 for a year.

I’m tired . I really am
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by saintkeppy(m): 5:28am On Mar 05
Gerrard59:

Okay Sir, I get your point based on current trend about Poland Visa issuance, regardless one can still give it a try.

What's your opinion about Schooling in Romania?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 9:13am On Mar 05
lastkingsman:

The tuition fee introduction is it only for masters or both masters and PhD?

Anyone who pays tuition fees for the bold needs to have his/her brain examined. The introduction was for MSc courses.

saintkeppy:

Okay Sir, I get your point based on current trend about Poland Visa issuance, regardless one can still give it a try.

What's your opinion about Schooling in Romania?

To me, it is not bad provided it is a STEM course, especially the one Eastern Europeans are good at (hardcore maths and physics). Whether a country is good depends on the person and priorities.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by saintkeppy(m): 10:21am On Mar 05
Gerrard59:

Anyone who pays tuition fees for the bold needs to have his/her brain examined. The introduction was for MSc courses.

To me, it is not bad provided it is a STEM course, especially the one Eastern Europeans are good at (hardcore maths and physics). Whether a country is good depends on the person and priorities.

Okay, Thank you very much.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by lastkingsman: 12:20pm On Mar 05
Gerrard59:

Abeg tips on on countries where PhD is currently free
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Mcslize: 3:56pm On Mar 05
ogbonti the village masquerade will never agree with this.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Drezinc(m): 5:46pm On Mar 05
goodman023:

National interest waiver. You can basically file for US green card yourself these days and get a green card from Nigeria and then transit to the US

How Does This Work Boss?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 2:27am On Mar 06
lastkingsman:

Abeg tips on on countries where PhD is currently free

Any country with a strong research culture and array of good universities. There are too many options available regardless of background, but more so in sciences, for anyone to pay for a PhD.

Drezinc:

How Does This Work Boss?

You have been given a bed to proceed with, yet you still request for pillow. No be so abroad be like o. No one gives or tells you everything. You have to do your research.

2 Likes

Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Scholace: 6:28am On Mar 06
Gerrard59:

If your sponsors aren't very rich, it is pointless to study in the US. Better seek full funding from the department. Alternatively, if you have a BSc and five year work experience or BSc&MSc, apply for NIW. Studying in the US doesn't translate to the right to work in the country as that route is lottery dependent. Your target should be to gain the right to work in the US rather than study. Once that right is achieved, you play the long game to permanent residency and eventual citizenship.
what if one get about 70% funding in a school in US, does it worth covering the deficit?
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by blueskies(f): 9:10am On Mar 06
Pls I need the link for step by step USA study route for masters/PhD
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by Gerrard59(m): 12:18pm On Mar 06
Scholace:
what if one get about 70% funding in a school in US, does it worth covering the deficit?

As long as it is not full funding, everything depends on your sponsors' pockets. Based on the current exchange rate, full funding or rich sponsors or a resident American who is ready to cover the bills. Whether it is worth studying in the US is up to the individual.
Re: Japa: It’s Now Getting Expensive To Japa Through Student Route by RodgersAkpafu: 5:40pm On Mar 18
goodman023:

That’s 952k paid in a total of a day.. damn! Individual still needs to hustle POF. Most school you pay around 12 to 20k per semester.
Hustling of "POF"?

Okay ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Time On A Plane / Advice Needed On Africa Country To Migrate To For Business / Why Is England Better Than Ireland And Scotland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.