Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. (28104 Views)

I am Scared O, Have Learnt My Lesson, No More Skin To Skin / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago / Kano Man Found Alive After ‘drowning’ 30 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by EmekaStanley: 6:51pm On Mar 01
Around middle of November 2018, I had an accident with a scooter I had bought to ease my transportation to and from Apapa where Givanas, a company I worked with at that time is situated.

The scooter was a life saver for me considering the state of Apapa road at that time.

As a result of the accident which was as a collision with a distant-minded person crossing the road, I fractured my radius, had deep scratches on my shoulder and face.

I was rushed to a local orthopedic who wore me a cast on my arm to immobilize it.

At that time, I was actively seeking to leave Givanas, so I saw Jagal vacancy for the post of a ‘buyer’. I took the test online, scored high and was invited for a face to face interview.

While at home taking some off days due to the injury, I attended Jagal interview with the cast and injury marks on my face.

I arrived Ikoyi, the headquarters of Jagal, met Ian Moodley, the then Group Supply Chain Manager, who was to interview me.

Ian Moodley looked beyond my injuries, interviewed me properly and told me he was going to hire me, and he did.

He just referred me to the Group HR then, Daniel Ayscough to formalize it.

By the end of that day, I received an official email from Daniel informing me that I have been hired, and asked me to resume by the second week of January, which was enough time for me to notify Givanas that I was quitting.

I immediately sent an email to Givanas informing them of my resignation, went to work few times with the injury and that was it.

There are lots of things I could pull out from this writeup including Jagal's penchant for recognizing talent irrespective of a physical condition that some employers could use as an excuse not to hire someone or my own part of not being discouraged to attend the interview because of my injury.

Now, here is the purpose of this write up.

I was supposed to carry that cast for at least 2 months or even more than, to enable my radius heal well but I removed it the week I resumed at Jagal.

Almost 6 years down the line, close to 4 years after I left Jagal, I have to wear the cast again for that same injury I had.

Apparently the bone joined but didn’t heal properly. All the pains that I should have borne 6 years ago, I am bearing some of them now.

Surprisingly, throughout that time, I was carrying weights at the gym, though I noticed that there was a particular gym programme (which was my favorite) that I couldn’t do without pains in the arm.

That was when I got convinced that my arm has not healed completely.

Today, anytime I go for massage of the arm, I feel real pain, and thoughts keep running through my mind. But, I have serious life lessons I have learnt from this.

One: There is no shortcut to healing. The only exception here is if it is a miracle because I believe in miracles.

If you are meant to receive a particular treatment routine, please stick to your treatment until you are healed completely, confirmed by qualified personnel.

If you abandon your treatment, there’s a high chance you’ll meet the ailment in the nearest future. It could be a form of relapse or something.

Two: Do not postpone pains. Pains are part of living, and every stage of life seems to have its own pains or place of discomfort. Sometimes it could be a form of progress. Unless that, do not postpone pains, they have a way of coming back.

It could have been better for me if I had borne all these massage and cast pains 6 years ago than now. I mean, it is a distraction for me at the moment.

Thirdly but not the least, your health is more important than any job. Take care of yourself.

In any job, no one is irreplaceable. Even the business collapsing due to your absence could be a way of your replacement in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, life is beautiful, I personally don’t want to be dealing with things I should have dealt with years ago, No I don't.

Do you?

ES

230 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by 4KNGOATS(m): 7:34pm On Mar 01
Nice write up with appropriate use of words......very informative

219 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by decatalyst(m): 7:54pm On Mar 01
Health is wealth.

Never rush any healing process, be it physical, emotional or spiritual injury.

65 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Trustalone(f): 8:25pm On Mar 01
cool
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by ProudNigerian01: 8:26pm On Mar 01
Very educative post, Thank you Op.

Meanwhile everyone should take note of
Christopher Orji's message:

"Let your character preach the Gospel of Repentance and Remission of sin to all"

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Sccarrr: 8:26pm On Mar 01
Pele
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by BOSSkesh(m): 8:26pm On Mar 01
Interesting
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Talkisneeded: 8:27pm On Mar 01
Beautiful story,

I sell herbs tho

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by osahonmk(m): 8:27pm On Mar 01
Nice Write up
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Chibuzoripob: 8:27pm On Mar 01
sad restoration to you..I like ur type of man..1, u refused to entertain excuses instead work with that cast/in pain.The Lord your God is yo strength

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by DONFRANSKID(m): 8:28pm On Mar 01
Pains are part of human existence.

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 8:28pm On Mar 01
lipsrsealed
It is well with you my bro...

Health is wealth.......

One reason why I don't stress myself these days............When other keke riders are busy Killing themselves from morning to night,I don't care ....If na 4-5 hours I work daily,I'm okay ...

My sanity over every other fvcking thing on earth angry

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by 222Martins(m): 8:28pm On Mar 01
Hmmmm, Givanas at Apapa!! Memories!! A company i co-founded with my brother supplied them diesel back in the days before my brother left the shores of this country.......The company gave us our much needed break as we were just starting out in the oil and gas industry........Time really flies.....

Stay strong!!!

Updated: My brother, who handled operations for our company saw this thread and confirmed to me that he had one or two run-ins with you. Your moniker Emeka Stanley is your real name and you were the procurement officer at Givanas. This life!!!! undecided I expect you to be older, wiser, experienced and humble now smiley.....

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by stano2(m): 8:28pm On Mar 01
It’s not easy, I had an accident about 11years ago, I feel pain exactly where I was hit

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by stano2(m): 8:29pm On Mar 01
wink
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Great8ned: 8:29pm On Mar 01
Nice.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Kharol1234: 8:30pm On Mar 01
sorry about the injury, wishing you fast recovery..

3 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Kaybaba5(m): 8:30pm On Mar 01
Informative
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by We4all: 8:30pm On Mar 01
Heal well this time. But honestly, I can't stand the sight of bandages.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Okoyiboz3: 8:30pm On Mar 01
Thank you for this write up.

May your healing be complete and comprehensive.

81 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by JonTopps(m): 8:30pm On Mar 01
Almost thought I was reading an excerpt from a Chimamanda novel. Well said.

5 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Otunbakayce: 8:30pm On Mar 01
You still learnt nothing! No real medical professional Orthopedic surgeon or Physiotherapist will bandage or immobilise your hand like that.
You are an adult whose bones has fully ossified

Let me stop here.

You learnt absolute nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Anunakeeh: 8:31pm On Mar 01
EmekaStanley:
Around middle of November 2018, I had an accident with a scooter I had bought to ease my transportation to and from Apapa where Givanas, a company I worked with at that time is situated.

The scooter was a life saver for me considering the state of Apapa road at that time.

As a result of the accident which was as a collision with a distant-minded person crossing the road, I fractured my radius, had deep scratches on my shoulder and face.

I was rushed to a local orthopedic who wore me a cast on my arm to immobilize it.

At that time, I was actively seeking to leave Givanas, so I saw Jagal vacancy for the post of a ‘buyer’. I took the test online, scored high and was invited for a face to face interview.

While at home taking some off days due to the injury, I attended Jagal interview with the cast and injury marks on my face.

I arrived Ikoyi, the headquarters of Jagal, met Ian Moodley, the then Group Supply Chain Manager, who was to interview me.

Ian Moodley looked beyond my injuries, interviewed me properly and told me he was going to hire me, and he did.

He just referred me to the Group HR then, Daniel Ayscough to formalize it.

By the end of that day, I received an official email from Daniel informing me that I have been hired, and asked me to resume by the second week of January, which was enough time for me to notify Givanas that I was quitting.

I immediately sent an email to Givanas informing them of my resignation, went to work few times with the injury and that was it.

There are lots of things I could pull out from this writeup including Jagal's penchant for recognizing talent irrespective of a physical condition that some employers could use as an excuse not to hire someone or my own part of not being discouraged to attend the interview because of my injury.

Now, here is the purpose of this write up.

I was supposed to carry that cast for at least 2 months or even more than, to enable my radius heal well but I removed it the week I resumed at Jagal.

Almost 6 years down the line, close to 4 years after I left Jagal, I have to wear the cast again for that same injury I had.

Apparently the bone joined but didn’t heal properly. All the pains that I should have borne 6 years ago, I am bearing some of them now.

Surprisingly, throughout that time, I was carrying weights at the gym, though I noticed that there was a particular gym programme (which was my favorite) that I couldn’t do without pains in the arm.

That was when I got convinced that my arm has not healed completely.

Today, anytime I go for massage of the arm, I feel real pain, and thoughts keep running through my mind. But, I have serious life lessons I have learnt from this.

One: There is no shortcut to healing. The only exception here is if it is a miracle because I believe in miracles.

If you are meant to receive a particular treatment routine, please stick to your treatment until you are healed completely, confirmed by qualified personnel.

If you abandon your treatment, there’s a high chance you’ll meet the ailment in the nearest future. It could be a form of relapse or something.

Two: Do not postpone pains. Pains are part of living, and every stage of life seems to have its own pains or place of discomfort. Sometimes it could be a form of progress. Unless that, do not postpone pains, they have a way of coming back.

It could have been better for me if I had borne all these massage and cast pains 6 years ago than now. I mean, it is a distraction for me at the moment.

Thirdly but not the least, your health is more important than any job. Take care of yourself.

In any job, no one is irreplaceable. Even the business collapsing due to your absence could be a way of your replacement in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, life is beautiful, I personally don’t want to be dealing with things I should have dealt with years ago, No I don't.

Do you?

True.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by kingthreat(m): 8:32pm On Mar 01
Heal well sir

34 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by odimbannamdi(m): 8:33pm On Mar 01
You didn't have to mention the names of the companies and even their employees. You gave out too much unnecessary information. Please edit your post.

Wish you speedy recovery

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Dyfynezz12(m): 8:34pm On Mar 01
Thanks OP
U write well
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Jewessgratitud3: 8:35pm On Mar 01
K
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Bintasukai: 8:38pm On Mar 01
odimbannamdi:
You didn't have to mention the names of the companies and even their employees. You gave out too much unnecessary information. Please edit your post.

Wish you speedy recovery

I was coming here to write that. You are exposing yourself to even more potential pain by abusing their privacy. I would advise you as a matter of serious import to delete all that information. Future employers may balk at this even.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by inoki247: 8:38pm On Mar 01
Lol
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Endinjustice: 8:39pm On Mar 01
cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Girl Resurrects In A Zambian Clinic After Being Declared Dead" - Zambian Eagle / Please Help My Mum Is Dying / I Think I'm Infected, Please Advise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.