Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,471 members, 7,816,116 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. (28122 Views)

I am Scared O, Have Learnt My Lesson, No More Skin To Skin / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago / Kano Man Found Alive After ‘drowning’ 30 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by neoG(f): 9:45pm On Mar 01
Op you are a very good writer. Thanks for this great post.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by xukwaa: 9:46pm On Mar 01
Lesson should be bolded...I don't have time to read long scripts!
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 9:50pm On Mar 01
You write very well. Well punctuated, spaced and lettered. I am in love already. wink

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Bengs37: 9:52pm On Mar 01
I am a serving corp member and will be passing out soon please am asking for websites for job vacancies and opportunities to try. Thank you
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by EmekaStanley: 10:08pm On Mar 01
Otunbakayce:
one of the complications of fracture is malunion,
and that's what you have right there including poor healing.
One of the stages of a healing fracture is the callus formation stage which is the most prominent of all the healing stages because it's more visible. If the callus hasn't formed then sorry you will continue to treat pain and some other complications might result.
My advice to you is to get an x-ray done first that will give you a clear picture of your injure.
Thank you.

I really appreciate

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by MatthiasChin: 10:41pm On Mar 01
222Martins:
Hmmmm, Givanas at Apapa!! Memories!! A company i co-founded with my brother supplied them diesel back in the days before my brother left the shores of this country.......The company gave us our much needed break as we were just starting out in the oil and gas industry........Time really flies.....

Stay strong!!!

Updated: My brother, who handled operations for our company saw this thread and confirmed to me that he had one or two run-ins with you. Your moniker Emeka Stanley is your real name and you were the procurement officer at Givanas. This life!!!! undecided I expect you to be older, wiser, experienced and humble now smiley.....

But who ask you his real name now??

Bizzybody

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by 222Martins(m): 10:44pm On Mar 01
MatthiasChin:

But who ask you his real name now??

Bizzybody
Clown!!! What is the name on his handle?
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by MatthiasChin: 10:50pm On Mar 01
222Martins:
Clown!!! What is the name on his handle?

You win...Senior

Should I send my details so you celebrate your win for me?

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by BoboKush(m): 10:59pm On Mar 01
Let me add my fair share to this
During my tertiary days..... They throw pure water on people during their birthday

I had never participated even tho it seems fun
But during my birthday... Days to it was told same Wil be done to me.... So I missed few weeks in school

To my surprise when I resume plenty bag of water was bought Infact I gave them smal cash too..... While during thier normal water throwing I was suddenly attacked too.... I felt bad.... So I decided to join them next coming
As some of the water stone hit me badly

While I join my first throw was a hard one... Unknowingly for me my hand had twist in the process..... As I thew the water should dislocated and i was down on the floor.... It later reset with a click sound

I didn't even anything or treat it..... As per street way na..... Boom a year after shoulder started dislocating on it own

I did test... X ray n all....bone were correct was told it cartilage.... It takes very long to heal on it own unless for surgery..... I have been managing the hand for a number of years now

If only I had taken care of it the day it happen
Learnt ma lesson a very hard way

2 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Juliearth(f): 11:21pm On Mar 01
EmekaStanley:
Around middle of November 2018, I had an accident with a scooter I had bought to ease my transportation to and from Apapa where Givanas, a company I worked with at that time is situated.

The scooter was a life saver for me considering the state of Apapa road at that time.

As a result of the accident which was as a collision with a distant-minded person crossing the road, I fractured my radius, had deep scratches on my shoulder and face.

I was rushed to a local orthopedic who wore me a cast on my arm to immobilize it.

At that time, I was actively seeking to leave Givanas, so I saw Jagal vacancy for the post of a ‘buyer’. I took the test online, scored high and was invited for a face to face interview.

While at home taking some off days due to the injury, I attended Jagal interview with the cast and injury marks on my face.

I arrived Ikoyi, the headquarters of Jagal, met Ian Moodley, the then Group Supply Chain Manager, who was to interview me.

Ian Moodley looked beyond my injuries, interviewed me properly and told me he was going to hire me, and he did.

He just referred me to the Group HR then, Daniel Ayscough to formalize it.

By the end of that day, I received an official email from Daniel informing me that I have been hired, and asked me to resume by the second week of January, which was enough time for me to notify Givanas that I was quitting.

I immediately sent an email to Givanas informing them of my resignation, went to work few times with the injury and that was it.

There are lots of things I could pull out from this writeup including Jagal's penchant for recognizing talent irrespective of a physical condition that some employers could use as an excuse not to hire someone or my own part of not being discouraged to attend the interview because of my injury.

Now, here is the purpose of this write up.

I was supposed to carry that cast for at least 2 months or even more than, to enable my radius heal well but I removed it the week I resumed at Jagal.

Almost 6 years down the line, close to 4 years after I left Jagal, I have to wear the cast again for that same injury I had.

Apparently the bone joined but didn’t heal properly. All the pains that I should have borne 6 years ago, I am bearing some of them now.

Surprisingly, throughout that time, I was carrying weights at the gym, though I noticed that there was a particular gym programme (which was my favorite) that I couldn’t do without pains in the arm.

That was when I got convinced that my arm has not healed completely.

Today, anytime I go for massage of the arm, I feel real pain, and thoughts keep running through my mind. But, I have serious life lessons I have learnt from this.

One: There is no shortcut to healing. The only exception here is if it is a miracle because I believe in miracles.

If you are meant to receive a particular treatment routine, please stick to your treatment until you are healed completely, confirmed by qualified personnel.

If you abandon your treatment, there’s a high chance you’ll meet the ailment in the nearest future. It could be a form of relapse or something.

Two: Do not postpone pains. Pains are part of living, and every stage of life seems to have its own pains or place of discomfort. Sometimes it could be a form of progress. Unless that, do not postpone pains, they have a way of coming back.

It could have been better for me if I had borne all these massage and cast pains 6 years ago than now. I mean, it is a distraction for me at the moment.

Thirdly but not the least, your health is more important than any job. Take care of yourself.

In any job, no one is irreplaceable. Even the business collapsing due to your absence could be a way of your replacement in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, life is beautiful, I personally don’t want to be dealing with things I should have dealt with years ago, No I don't.

Do you?

ES

I would treat this as a personal note to self. This was the same mistake I made in 2009 and till date, I'm still bearing the cross. A permanent fix is possible, but I'm too scared to venture. The fact that I would be immobile and helpless for months scares me.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by durodee(m): 11:26pm On Mar 01
EmekaStanley:
Around middle of November 2018, I had an accident with a scooter I had bought to ease my transportation to and from Apapa where Givanas, a company I worked with at that time is situated.

The scooter was a life saver for me considering the state of Apapa road at that time.

As a result of the accident which was as a collision with a distant-minded person crossing the road, I fractured my radius, had deep scratches on my shoulder and face.

I was rushed to a local orthopedic who wore me a cast on my arm to immobilize it.

At that time, I was actively seeking to leave Givanas, so I saw Jagal vacancy for the post of a ‘buyer’. I took the test online, scored high and was invited for a face to face interview.

While at home taking some off days due to the injury, I attended Jagal interview with the cast and injury marks on my face.

I arrived Ikoyi, the headquarters of Jagal, met Ian Moodley, the then Group Supply Chain Manager, who was to interview me.

Ian Moodley looked beyond my injuries, interviewed me properly and told me he was going to hire me, and he did.

By the end of that day, I received an official email from Daniel informing me that I have been hired, and asked me to resume by the second week of January, which was enough time for me to notify Givanas that I was quitting.

I immediately sent an email to Givanas informing them of my resignation, went to work few times with the injury and that was it.

There are lots of things I could pull out from this writeup including Jagal's penchant for recognizing talent irrespective of a physical condition that some employers could use as an excuse not to hire someone or my own part of not being discouraged to attend the interview because of my injury.

I was supposed to carry that cast for at least 2 months or even more than, to enable my radius heal well but I removed it the week I resumed at Jagal.

Almost 6 years down the line, close to 4 years after I left Jagal, I have to wear the cast again for that same injury I had.

Apparently the bone joined but didn’t heal properly. All the pains that I should have borne 6 years ago, I am bearing some of them now.

Surprisingly, throughout that time, I was carrying weights at the gym, though I noticed that there was a particular gym programme (which was my favorite) that I couldn’t do without pains in the arm.

Today, anytime I go for massage of the arm, I feel real pain, and thoughts keep running through my mind. But, I have serious life lessons I have learnt from this.

One: There is no shortcut to healing. The only exception here is if it is a miracle because I believe in miracles.

If you are meant to receive a particular treatment routine, please stick to your treatment until you are healed completely, confirmed by qualified personnel.

If you abandon your treatment, there’s a high chance you’ll meet the ailment in the nearest future. It could be a form of relapse or something.

Two: Do not postpone pains. Pains are part of living, and every stage of life seems to have its own pains or place of discomfort. Sometimes it could be a form of progress. Unless that, do not postpone pains, they have a way of coming back.

It could have been better for me if I had borne all these massage and cast pains 6 years ago than now. I mean, it is a distraction for me at the moment.

Thirdly but not the least, your health is more important than any job. Take care of yourself.

In any job, no one is irreplaceable. Even the business collapsing due to your absence could be a way of your replacement in the grand scheme of things.

Finally, life is beautiful, I personally don’t want to be dealing with things I should have dealt with years ago, No I don't.

Do you?

ES
Nice write up. Are you being treated properly now for the malunion or non union? The bandage I saw does not in any way show the proper way such old injury should be treated. Otherwise, ........we will hear chapter 3 of this story .

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by TheMostComplex1: 12:29am On Mar 02
You're healed ijn Amen
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by donmik: 12:47am On Mar 02
Great.
Quick healing, bro
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by sylve11: 2:16am On Mar 02
EmekaStanley:

Do you?

ES

Well written. cool
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by CuriousX: 2:19am On Mar 02
EmekaStanley:
Thank you

You are welcome
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Father4all: 2:20am On Mar 02
No short cut in life
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by papyjaypaul: 3:34am On Mar 02
EmekaStanley:
Names are meant to be identified.

If I'm writing real life stories, I mention names

You are still not right. The fact that you are ready to release your privacy does not make it right for others. If names are meant to be quoted and everyone starts quoting your name on the internet, how many will you be able to respond to? It is only public people who can have this privilege and that still does not mean their names can be quoted anyhow to prevent libel. Those men are not public servants, they are staff of the company and belong to the company. Why didn't Jagal publish all employees' names because names are meant to be identified

Do the right thing and remove their names. Tell those who quoted you to remove it. It was not necessary. Apply discretion to your actions in a public forum.

Rule 10:
10. Don't violate the privacy of any people e.g. by posting their private pics, info, or chats without permission.

4 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by finallybusy: 5:01am On Mar 02
My question is, what is being done right now to the injury? Was the bone re-broken and set properly? Did they only bandage the arm? Many parts of the write-up were unnecessary. I had to skip to the end for the important bits.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by BigIyanga: 6:02am On Mar 02
EmekaStanley:

Do you?

ES
And most importantly proper diagnosis is better than treatment. Any MRI/CTScan done? Any follow up checkup done? Procedures abd processes are important… but always lacking in Naija
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by CJStarz: 6:05am On Mar 02
ProudNigerian01:
Very educative post, Thank you Op.

Meanwhile everyone should take note of
Christopher Orji's message:

"Let your character preach the Gospel of Repentance and Remission of sin to all"

Who is Christopher Orji,pls?

3 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:22am On Mar 02
See as person just dey throw names around grin. Heal well, you write well too.

1 Like

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by ProudNigerian01: 6:52am On Mar 02
CJStarz:

Who is Christopher Orji,pls?
He is based in Enugu state. A mighty man with uncommon grace, check him out on YouTube and Facebook by searching COJIM Christopher Orji.

2 Likes

Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by hstar: 8:02am On Mar 02
papyjaypaul:

You are still not right. The fact that you are ready to release your privacy does not make it right for others. If names are meant to be quoted and everyone starts quoting your name on the internet, how many will you be able to respond to? It is only public people who can have this privilege and that still does not mean their names can be quoted anyhow to prevent libel. Those men are not public servants, they are staff of the company and belong to the company. Why didn't Jagal publish all employees' names because names are meant to be identified

Do the right thing and remove their names. Tell those who quoted you to remove it. It was not necessary. Apply discretion to your actions in a public forum.

Rule 10:
10. Don't violate the privacy of any people e.g. by posting their private pics, info, or chats without permission.
Correct
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by botiwunoluwa120: 8:19am On Mar 02
Nice.Nice....
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by HBB1(m): 8:25am On Mar 02
EmekaStanley:
You didn't read the story well.

Already joined, if it didn't join, I wouldn't be able to lift weights.

There's a slight swelling around the area that pains when massaged strongly.

With that, it flattens and heals well

It seems you don't want to listen.

You either have a non-union or mal-union.
More likely a mal-union from what you describe.

Unfortunately casting will not help you.

Not sure who you have been seeing-- seems like a quack!
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by BigIyanga: 5:20pm On Mar 02
HBB1:

It seems you don't want to listen.

You either have a non-union or mal-union.
More likely a mal-union from what you describe.

Unfortunately casting will not help you.

Not sure who you have been seeing-- seems like a quack!
Yep. No mention of MRI, CT Scan et all
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by mistercharles: 6:20pm On Mar 02
Speedy recovery
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Mattmafen(m): 9:29pm On Mar 02
That's a very nice one and very informative. Thanks for the update. Wishing you speedy recovery this time around.
Re: Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. by Psoul(m): 1:21pm On Mar 04
4KNGOATS:
Nice write up with appropriate use of words......very informative

That guy writes well.
No matter how interesting a story is and I keep getting stopped by wrong grammar, I go just abandon the write up biko to avoid headache.

His diction and sentences are well structured.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nancy Abu-Bonsrah Becomes First Black Female Neurosurgeon At US University. PICS / Baby Who Had Been "Cured" Of HIV Now Has The Virus Resurfacing / How Can I Whiten My Teeth Nairalanders,?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.