Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... (1173 Views)

Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? / Diary Of My Rabbit : Ghost / Rabbit Killed By My 3-Year-Old German Shepherd (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 5:45pm On Mar 04
For many years now, I've desired owning rabbits as pets smiley & even breeding them for the purpose of meat. Time & other circumstances hindered me from making that dream a reality. So, daily life (aka reality.com grin ) took my mind off rabbit farming. Not until recently. I saw a video of a rabbit farm & that quickly reignited my desire to own & breed rabbits cheesy
Though Rabbit farming isn't exactly new, it is relatively uncommon in this part of the world. So, by the Grace of God, I intend on documenting my journey as I begin & grow my rabbit farm. grin

3 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 6:15pm On Mar 04
To begin in my journey, it was imperative that I made a lot of research & acquire much knowledge about rabbits, housing, feeding, breeding, diseases etc., That way, I can be prepared to handle & manage issues that arises as far as rabbits are concerned. And so, I read a lot of Rabbit books, articles, watched tons of YouTube videos & learnt a lot from the experiences rabbit farmers have in the course farming rabbits.

Having gained knowledge about rabbits, my next step was to start making a budget for everything & provide housing. And since I was just beginning I decided to start out with just 3 rabbits. 2 Females & 1 Male.
Apparently rabbit females are called "Does" while the males are called "Bucks"

When setting up my budget, I had budgeted 25 thousand Naira for the construction of my rabbit hutch. And I consulted with a carpenter to that effect.
But then Nigeria happened undecided undecided
On the 28th of February, the carpenter & I decided to go to the market to purchase the materials that would be used to construct my rabbit hutch. I initially sketched a diagram of how I wanted my hutch to be & so, I wanted a precise look with precise dimensions.
For the [b][/b]width: 4 feet. [b][/b]Height: 3 feet. [b][/b]Length: 6 feet.
I wanted a cage that gave each rabbits enough space to move around & could comfortably house 3 rabbits.
So, the 6 feet length is designed to be divided into 3, giving each rabbit 2 feet space & when calculated with with the width each rabbit will have 16square feet of space.
The 1st image is my sketch. The second is the carpenter working on making my sketch a reality grin

2 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 6:43pm On Mar 04
Constructing the cage wasn't as easy or as cheap as I thought it would be lipsrsealed This is due to how expensive Building materials cost. It even baffles me how people still build houses in this economy
A list of the things I bought & their price list.
2x2=#500 each
2x3=#1000 each
2x4=#1200 each
Wire mesh=#1500 per yard. Bought approx 10 yards.
Chicken wire=#700 per yard. Bought 5 yards.
Nails=#700 per pound. Bought 2½ pounds
Medium Hinges=#300 each. Bought 2.
Locks for padlock=#300 each. Bought 2.
2feet by 2feet Aluminium sheet=#600 each. Bought 5
New Zinc=#3000 each. Bought 2

As I said earlier on, I budgeted just 25 thousand Naira to construct a cage of this decent size, but with the present situation of the country, constructing this cage cost over #50,000 embarassed cry
The carpenter's workmanship is #7,000

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 6:50pm On Mar 04
Please I'm interested in hearing or reading all your thoughts, suggestions, advice, Criticisms & observations .... wink cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by 2special(m): 7:29pm On Mar 04
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Foodqueen(f): 11:56am On Mar 05
Following bumper to bumper.

Ahnie, abeg bring those chairs come.

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Caaz: 8:38pm On Mar 05
Foodqueen:

Which chairs fQ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Foodqueen(f): 9:12pm On Mar 05
Caaz:

Which chairs fQ?

Those plenty chairs meme

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Caaz: 9:12pm On Mar 05
Foodqueen:

Those plenty chairs meme
I don forget o fq.

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 1:05am On Mar 06
Foodqueen:

grin cheesy
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 1:32am On Mar 06
Considering the fact that I am unable to sleep, I thought I'd just update this thread.
So, I had a very long day. Yesterday 05/03. I decided to go and meet a farmer to purchase rabbits. I noticed that it was actually easy to get in contact with Rabbit farmers but getting them to sale it to you seems difficult. I stand to be corrected. This is due to the fact that I contacted almost 10 different rabbit farmers but their response was slow, their enthusiasm to sell rabbits seemed non-existent & at a point, it felt like I was even begging them to sell rabbits to me. On Top My Own Money Oooh! shocked
Long story short, I was disappointed with how some of the farmers handled their business. Such behaviours in the long run can negatively affect the progress/growth of their farms.
Luckily, I got in contact with a young farmer. His name is Emmanuel. He was patient & kind & willing to help me purchase quality rabbits 🐰 he advised me & we basically just communicated throughout via WhatsApp & of all the farmers I got in contact with, he is the only one I can confidently claim to be a real business minded fellow & due to his kindness, I pray His rabbit farm grows bigger, in Jesus Name. Amen!..

Locating Emmanuel was a very difficult thing to do, as I lived very far away from him & waybilling wasn't an option. It was way too expensive. It cost me just #2000 to travel to get my rabbits, meanwhile waybilling from the same location, even a bit closer cost #10,000 grin that was just soo funny to me so I had to travel & get it in person.
When I got there I was greeted with beautiful rabbits of different breeds such as New Zealands, Pamolinos, Dutch, Chinchillas etc and they were all really larger than usual. I was amazed. And their babies (kits) looked soo cute. I wanted to take them all. cry I apologise. It didn't come to my mind to take pictures of his farm while I was there. grin
So, I decided to get 2 female Palominos from him that were very beautiful & are from good breeding stocks, and I plan on getting my Male from a different breeder.
Emmanuel had told me when he first got his Palomino doe, she littered 10kits at once of which they survived. That was really amazing.
After paying for my rabbits I brought them home & they were really stressed & tired due to the long journey, so, I mixed half a spoon of glucose in about ½ litre of water & I gave it to them. And I gave them the feed I purchased from their former home & added Yam peels with it. They didn't eat it immediately but they're gradually getting used to the environment & will Come around with time. smiley

Better pictures will be uploaded soon

4 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 11:26am On Mar 06
More pictures... wink
Breakfast was Tridax & their formulated feed grin

Both rabbits are exactly 1 month 2 weeks & 3 days old.
Their dad is a Purebred Newzealand White & Their mum is a Purebred Palomino. That's a really nice combination as they grow to be quite big, since they have both the Newzealand & Palomino in their genes.

2 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Foodqueen(f): 3:37pm On Mar 06
How much did you get them
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 6:41pm On Mar 06
Foodqueen:
How much did you get them

They were priced at #7,000 each. As weaners. wink

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Foodqueen(f): 8:38pm On Mar 06
Sijiade77:

They were priced at #7,000 each. As weaners. wink

Ok. That's a good deal
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 11:24pm On Mar 06
Foodqueen:

Ok. That's a good deal

Yes grin
Are you a rabbit breeder yourself?
Or do you perhaps own rabbits?
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Foodqueen(f): 9:26am On Mar 07
Sijiade77:

Yes grin
Are you a rabbit breeder yourself?
Or do you perhaps own rabbits?

No, am not. But looking forward to it someday.

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by ShinjaWWest: 8:57pm On Mar 07
Remember when I use to rear rabbit...

I bought mine for 600 naira for two ....

2 Likes

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 12:44am On Mar 08
ShinjaWWest:

600 naira?!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Wow!
What year was this?
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by ShinjaWWest: 2:18am On Mar 08
Sijiade77:

600 naira?!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

Wow!
What year was this?

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Underdawgg: 12:16pm On Mar 09
ShinjaWWest:

I can relate to this cheesy. Rabbit was actually cheap then

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by efe21: 7:46pm On Mar 10
Underdawgg:

I can relate to this cheesy. Rabbit was actually cheap then
But it is expensive now sha.... The beauty of the whole thing is that rabbits are easy to manage and they hardly fall sick... I remember giving one of my rabbit a bloody nose for escaping for almost a day.... When I even caught it, I was so furious cause of the stress it made me pass through.... I beat it so hard with my hand that it started bleeding from the nose.... So I thought it was going to die, but surprisingly it didn't die, but rather after some hours of sluggishness, it started jumping everywhere in it cage like nothing happened.... So rabbits are strong animals, and will thrive well as long as it environment is kept clean, there is good supply of clean drinking water and it food on a steady.... Cheers 🍷.

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 2:18pm On Mar 11
There are so many breeds of Rabbit found in Nigeria. Some of which include The New Zealands white or Black, Chinchillas, Californians, Dutch, Rex, Palominos & Hyla, etc.
You might wonder. Why the Palomino??

I got 2 Palomino does (female rabbits) because I was immediately attracted to its coat. It has a Golden brown or lynx coat that is extremely soft to touch & standout amongst other breeds. They are medium to large sized rabbits & they are good producers. And so, I picked them & I wondered what breed I'd get as my male rabbit.
Originally, I was interested in getting a new Zealand white Male that'll serve my females but after searching for a while & due to a little impatience on my part I luckily stumbled upon, or should i say i was introduced to the "Hyla" breed.
Many people find it difficult to differentiate between Hyla & New Zealand White rabbits. This is due to a lot of striking similarities between the two. But in reality, there are also a lot of difference such as;
1.The Hyla is bigger in size than New Zealands.
2. The Hyla has a bigger head shape & ears than New Zealands.
3. The Hyla was bread to mature faster and reach table size at a very early age, as early as 2 - 3 months. And as such, they're considered Broiler rabbits.
4. The Hyla may have dark makings on its nose & ears.

After reading about the Hyla rabbits & learning more about it's Characteristics & genetics, I decided I'd purchase 1 as a male. And so, I got a Hyla grower.
I intend on crossing Him with my females when they are Old & matured enough.
Many rabbit farmers are located far away from the area I live in, and so, I am going to be part of the very first amongst the few farmers that exists in this part of Abuja.
Join me as we monitor the growth of my rabbits & the growth of my farm. And when they're old enough to start reproducing, I look forward to getting customers that'll get rabbit from me, on this platform...
I will be updating this thread weekly. Every Mondays...

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Sijiade77(m): 2:36pm On Mar 11
More pictures . . . cheesy

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by blackbone989(m): 12:35pm On Apr 14
Got two rabbit as a gift,don't know shit about it. What should i feed it. Am in ojo Lagos state
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Fabulouslouie(m): 1:57pm On Apr 14
blackbone989:
Got two rabbit as a gift,don't know shit about it. What should i feed it. Am in ojo Lagos state

If you're interested in selling I want to buy
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by Mrcyruz: 6:43pm On Apr 14
blackbone989:

How old are there?....feed them with fowl feed. or grass
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by sheggsliveth: 8:20pm On Apr 14
I don't too know much about rabbit but i suggest you should separate them like female and male, moreover rabbit bully each other too.....I even placed my pregnant doe on pellet only don't know if it's good for her health and the pregnancy...this the 4 times i crossed her but without her litter, but i observed the last mating she's actually on her heat so she didn't restrict the buck.

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by sheggsliveth: 8:38pm On Apr 14
Mrcyruz:

I don't even bid the ideal of fowl feed, reason is that they eat and eat before they are ok, but on pallets just little they are ok and it makes them add more weight..my rabbit is 9 months and she's very giant she was the only survival after my cat killed 6 of them.

1 Like

Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by sheggsliveth: 8:49pm On Apr 14
Sijiade77:
More pictures . . . cheesy

Their poo will give you problem cos the holes in the net is too small for their poo to penetrate..you could check mine in the pic below.
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by blackbone989(m): 6:08pm On Apr 15
Fabulouslouie:

If you're interested in selling I want to buy
Will sell d offspring
Re: A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... by blackbone989(m): 6:10pm On Apr 15
Mrcyruz:

Don't know but they are big o. The bigger one keep mating like he is on drug.

(1) (2) (Reply)

For Your Pedigree Imported Pups, Dogs And Exotic Animals / Puppy Goes For Two Million Dollars! That's One Hot Dog! / Caucasian Puppies For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.