Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,827 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:21 PM

More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn (28742 Views)

Chinese President To Chinese Women: "Have More Children" / Ghanaian Protesters Demand President Resign Amid Economic Problems. / Photos Of Robert Mugabe Meeting With Military Amid Zimbabwe Political Chaos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by chidiwar(m): 9:32pm On Mar 07
HonNL:

SOURCE

Las las, marriage still remain a loss for the men...
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by abba190: 9:34pm On Mar 07
if her parents were like her, she wouldnt hv been here
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by imagrg(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07
Are you saying they now fear preek?
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by zumbigbo(m): 10:08pm On Mar 07
African puna under attack.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Konquest: 10:10pm On Mar 07
HonNL:

SOURCE
NO APOLOGIES
After decades of improving women's education levels, workforce participation and social mobility, Chinese authorities now face a dilemma as the same group of women have become increasingly resistant to their propaganda.

Long-term single lifestyles are gradually becoming more widespread in China, giving rise to online communities of mostly single women who seek solidarity from like-minded people.

Posts with the hashtags "No marriage, no children" from female influencers often in their thirties or forties on Xiaohongshu, China's Instagram, regularly gain thousands of likes.

One anti-marriage forum on Douban, another social media platform, has 9,200 members, while another dedicated to "singleism" has 3,600 members who discuss collective retirement plans, among other topics.

Liao Yueyi, a 24-year-old unemployed graduate in the southern city of Nanning, recently declared to her mother that she "wakes up from nightmares about having children".
"No marriage or kids is a decision I've made after deep consideration. I don't owe anyone an apology, my parents have accepted it," she posted on WeChat.

Instead she has decided to "lie flat" - a Chinese expression that means doing just enough to get by - and save money for future travels.

"I think it's okay to date or cohabit, but children are a huge asset investment with minimal returns," she said, adding that she has discussed renting a house with some female friends when they all retire.

Many of the women interviewed cited a desire for self-exploration, disillusionment with patriarchal Chinese family dynamics and a lack of "enlightened" male partners as the main factors behind their decision to stay single and childless.

Gender equality also plays a role: all the women said it was difficult to find a man who valued their autonomy and believed in equal division of household labour.

"There's an oversupply of highly educated women and not enough highly educated men," said Xiaoling Shu, professor of sociology at the University of California, Davis. Decades of the one-child policy have led to 32.3 million more men than women in 2022, according to official data.

"College-educated women become stronger believers in advocating for their rights and status in society," Shu said.
"Well-educated women in search of supportive life partners find fewer suitable men who also endorse women's rights."

While not all the women interviewed identified as feminist or viewed themselves as deliberately defying the government, their actions reflect a broader trend of Chinese female empowerment expressed through personal choices.

And even though some analysts believe that the number of people who remain single for life will not grow exponentially in the future, delayed marriages and falling fertility are likely to pose a threat to China's demographic goals.

"In the long run, women's enthusiasm for marriage and childbirth will only continue to decrease," said feminist Lü.

"I believe this is the most important long-term crisis that China will face."

=>https://www.reuters.com/world/china/more-chinese-women-choosing-singledom-economy-stutters-2024-03-07/
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Teymanhenry(f): 10:13pm On Mar 07
These Chinese women are hardworking and live independently. For Naija, most women de run into marriage so that they can depend on another adult forever.

1 Like

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Anny69: 10:23pm On Mar 07
Nigerian women try this? Nope, mission impossible.

1 Like

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by DrFunmisticGlow: 10:48pm On Mar 07
HonNL:

SOURCE
This movement should come to nigeria.

One thing I agree with wholeheartedly.Having Children is a very expensive endeavor with little return on investment.

Marriage is becoming a scam for educated women because the things trapping a woman in a marriage are removed when she gets an education and becomes financially stable. The men unfortunately aren't willing to meet halfway.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by DrFunmisticGlow: 10:49pm On Mar 07
slimmax:
Singleism abi freedom to knack anyhow
funny enough their culture is not promiscuous.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by ChristineC: 11:10pm On Mar 07
your government will simply "import" what they need if it becomes a problem in future.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Tiopii: 11:22pm On Mar 07
DystopianMuse:
Where are the men that will even marry you ladies in the first place. There are more men than women of marriageable age in China due to the disastrous one-child policy by the evil CCP (since it is only one child. People prefer male child. They are choosed through selective abortion) making them to have more men than women. And yes! China economy is in distress. Rising unemployment, drying FDIs. Declining exports, crashing stock market, real estate crisis and so on. Its tough rn and chinese are migrating en masse to the USA. China's 9 to 9 and monday to saturday work culture don't help matters too

9 to 9? wow

1 Like

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by YemyTemmy: 11:49pm On Mar 07
Angy55:
They should come and import Ladies from Nigeria to marry the men in China grin cheesy

Let the Ladies breathe
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:11am On Mar 08
majority of them embrace single life because NOBODY WANT TO MARRY THEM... marriage in China is a big deal and many cant find a suitable mate. thats why so many foreigners are treated like royalties in China, you will get women lining up to be your GF, tire!!!
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Brenn594(m): 12:14am On Mar 08
Nobody gives af about the Chinese ... We all know everything about them is imitation, at the end they'll still be the second most populous country in the world so why the fuss🤷🏼‍♂️
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by komzy589(m): 12:33am On Mar 08
DystopianMuse:
Where are the men that will even marry you ladies in the first place. There are more men than women of marriageable age in China due to the disastrous one-child policy by the evil CCP (since it is only one child. People prefer male child. They are choosed through selective abortion) making them to have more men than women. And yes! China economy is in distress. Rising unemployment, drying FDIs. Declining exports, crashing stock market, real estate crisis and so on. It’s tough rn and chinese are migrating en masse to the USA. China's 9 to 9 and monday to saturday work culture don't help matters too
Nonsense!
You’re trying to make your wishes a reality. There’s no country in this world that has more men than women.
You don’t need to deeply study genetics to have this understanding.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Ilekokonit: 12:54am On Mar 08
luminouz:
Yet the so called uneducated ones are marrying and thriving. That's the good thing about men. We don't scream and complain to take care of our duties. We just do it, education or not. It's only women who believe education and /or money makes her above marriage, men and child-bearing.

IF I ever decide to marry again, na illiterate I go marry. They listen more and still believe in our culture unlike those ones who think their education gives them the right to be cantankerous and down right obnoxious. Tufiakwa.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Delightsome2023: 1:01am On Mar 08
AllenSpencer:
Chinese economy is going through a tough time!

They better go beg the US!
cc anonymous1759 please help school this guy.
Seems he's ignorant
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by pendragonbladgo(m): 1:05am On Mar 08
Okhuadams:
bunches of foolish women if una papa no marry how una go come this world some blinded Nigerian Ladies now wey be say don take their husbands do boyfriend go begin shout yes up n dan
But here we are now in this world, what is the deal? if i was ask next time if iam interested to come to the world, ill say no. uptill now am yet to see the purpose we come for. i personally i am not willing to ve wife or kids. I ll adopt 5kid when i get to 40, train them and die when i expire. d porpulation is just too much. if our parents no born us,we wont be here, if we aint here, wahala no go dey. the world was empty before sir and their was no war or politics. The world can remain empty

2 Likes

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by emmyN(m): 1:22am On Mar 08
How much is registration fee? I need to register EreluRoz and JennyClay in the group cheesy
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by pacespot(m): 1:35am On Mar 08
Chinese women too have borrowed a leaf from Western women's book
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by PropertyBuying(f): 1:47am On Mar 08
It's so much interesting... No wonder India has overtaken China as the world's most populous nation.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Countyguy: 2:06am On Mar 08
emperor4love:
abeg to get verified wechat no b here,ripper vendor plenty[code][/code]
Same with PayPal and cashapp
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by dosage150(m): 2:54am On Mar 08
Benwallt:

Isn't what work is all about? What other reason do you have for working if not to survive?

Abi you work to die?
Lol
Prices of things in the market no ask you that one ooooo
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Gerrard59(m): 2:58am On Mar 08
luminouz:
Na to go china be that na

Enough oyel wells!!!🤣

N.B: isn't it ironic that all these Chinese women are
educated, yet unhappy? They get the perks of education but are not willing to sacrifice anything to the society that funded them. The society that MEN built, bled and died for!! How will they think China will be if no one gives birth? Yet the so called uneducated ones are
marrying and thriving.
That's the good thing about men. We don't scream and complain to take care of our duties. We just do it, education or not. It's only women who believe education and /or money makes her above marriage, men and child-bearing.

You are right across all aspects. But South Korea's case is the worst. Whatever you see in China, multiply by 100, and you get that of South Korea.

4 Likes

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Gerrard59(m): 3:00am On Mar 08
luminouz:

What's this one saying bayi?

S/he is correct. China does have some problems and I do wish they get solved (the birth rate is the toughest to solve tho as it is a global phenomenon). Africa needs a strong and prosperous China.

1 Like

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Gerrard59(m): 3:01am On Mar 08
GUNITGuy:
a trend also in Europe and America .......No wonder alibaba keep advertising rubber anytime their adver pops up on my laptop while i want to study.......Rubber investment in the nearest future would surpass Oil and Gas ....Price of toys to go up

Preach to me sir, what do you know about rubber and its export trends? That is, does Nigeria produce enough rubber and how much of it is exported?

Thanks.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Gerrard59(m): 3:05am On Mar 08
Adakintroy:
All the yanga and new age rational na because of exploding population anyway. Human always acting they came up with the thought all by themselves. Gay right and all.

Wait after Ukraine come out of this war and go ask them to legalize gay marriages or this sought of progressive shit. Na then you go know say gay rights are regressive laws. When you want to improve your population. Enshrine more men on men and see how you multiply?

Even though I am not too religious, I agree that of late, humans have tried playing God. As for Ukraine and even Russia, the number of unmarried women and childless generation the war has created is and would be catastrophic.

Time to find a Slavic baddie grin grin Poland with all its conservatism no dey born plenty or even Lithuania or Romania. Now, the small men wey Ukraine get don kpeme finish.

What a time to be a black African man. shocked grin At least, since we cannot build a functioning black dominated society, let's spread our seeds around the world.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Gerrard59(m): 3:11am On Mar 08
komzy589:

Nonsense!
You’re trying to make your wishes a reality. There’s no country in this world that has more men than women.
You don’t need to deeply study genetics to have this understanding.

Actually, you are wrong. It is the opposite - no country has more women than men. Male preference tweaks or renders false your genetic analogy, which you didn't explain how it corresponds to more female births.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1328107/global-population-gender/#:~:text=Over%20the%20past%2022%20years,2022%20were%20below%2015%20years.
https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2022/08/31/global-population-skews-male-but-un-projects-parity-between-sexes-by-2050/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/19/see-where-women-outnumber-men-around-the-world-and-why/
https://qz.com/335183/heres-why-men-on-earth-outnumber-women-by-60-million

2 Likes

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Negroid001(m): 3:12am On Mar 08
DystopianMuse:
Redpinler. Alfa mail. Read it very well you will understand. How can you even. This is not your usully redpill garbage. Nothing upstair except rhetorics on women

This is extreme.
Don't be so quick to judge.

You coulda broken it down for him.
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Cromagnon: 5:31am On Mar 08
Malroux:
Nigerian women will rather be the fifth wife than to be single.
wise women
Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by DystopianMuse(f): 5:32am On Mar 08
Yes! It is call the 996 culture. Practiced by even some big companies and backed by industry giants like jack ma. I think theres even a protest github page for it
Tiopii:

9 to 9? wow

1 Like

Re: More Chinese Women Embrace 'singleism' amid Economic Downturn by Cromagnon: 5:37am On Mar 08
luminouz:
Na to go china be that na

Enough oyel wells!!!🤣

On a serious note, No matter how loudly women scream about being happy alone, deep down they regret it. They want companionship, of a man. Those who have in the past driven their husbands away and taken the kids come to realize this fact after their kids are all grown up and left the nest. Now, they are online looking for any form of consolation so they won't die alone. Yahoo boys and fûck boys are cashing out money and pussies respectively. I see them around me all the time. The loneliness in their gaze, their desperate attempts to come to your house and 'secure' their space. They will agree to cook, clean, promise you heaven and earth but you don't get convinced because they still showed the stinking attitudes that made them Alpha widows in the first place. Will I marry them? Hell No!!! Do I fûck them? Your guess is as good as mine🙂

N.B: isn't it ironic that all these Chinese women are
educated, yet unhappy? They get the perks of education but are not willing to sacrifice anything to the society that funded them. The society that MEN built, bled and died for!! How will they think China will be if no one gives birth? Yet the so called uneducated ones are
marrying and thriving. That's the good thing about men. We don't scream and complain to take care of our duties. We just do it, education or not. It's only women who believe education and /or money makes her above marriage, men and child-bearing.
they will learn the hard way

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Panama Papers Expos; Iceland's Prime Minister Resigns. / Ukraine War Drains U.S Ammunition Stockpiles / Hungarian President Novak Resigns Over Sex Abuse Case Pardon.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.