Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi (19688 Views)

Umahi's Sack: Justice Ekwo Has No Powers To Remove Me - Umahi / ‘This May Be Your Last Fight, If You Try Me’ – Umahi Warns Anyim, Ex- Gov Egwu / I Never Insulted Buhari, So I Would Not Allow APC To Insult Me - Umahi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by naija4life247: 7:30am On Mar 09
Maxcollins042:

I don't see any wickedness in this new FG policy. You paid someone upfront to render a service to you and they delayed until prices of the resources they will use in offering the service went up. They now came back to you to demand for fee variation.

How does this make sense? Would you be willing to pay for their shortcoming?

The lazy youth you quoted is without brain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by aguluobi: 7:30am On Mar 09
In other words Umahi ehould be paying variation to contractors for the jobs they were paid but delayed just to earn variation n you are one of the poor Nigerians he was fighting for ?! I pity your soul to say the least.

Lumarstone:
UMAIH did well as Ebonyi State governor in the areas of road construction and many other infrastructure, But he treated workers badly and was a small god.

If he tries to show wickedness to the federal contractors, the contractors will slug it out with him because federal government is not Ebonyi State where he pocketed for eight good years.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by aguluobi: 7:32am On Mar 09
Abuja minister is also very active n working solidly.

jacoik:
Na only this man and minister for interior be d only minister wey get head for dis government

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Macphenson: 7:32am On Mar 09
kk
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Kukutenla: 7:34am On Mar 09
naija4life247:

That's the highest a South Easterner will ever get in Nigeria. 2031 is for Shettima the Kanuri Wonder Boy, if Igbos play Politics without bitterness, they will get the VP position. But if they continue in their hatred and bitterness, then Nyezom Wike the Port Harcourt Magician will snatch the VP from them.

2027 is a done deal already. We have that in our pockets. We are BATified
Well done. Continue helping them to arrange it.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by coolgb(m): 7:45am On Mar 09
Blackfire:
In summary

All bribes goes to you
Shey you go school at all?

2 Likes

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by EnglishUsa: 7:53am On Mar 09
naija4life247:

That's the highest a South Easterner will ever get in Nigeria. 2031 is for Shettima the Kanuri Wonder Boy, if Igbos play Politics without bitterness, they will get the VP position. But if they continue in their hatred and bitterness, then Nyezom Wike the Port Harcourt Magician will snatch the VP from them.

well, in my own opinion I don't think wike will go for vice president, he may rather go for president because if you look at how the guy is gathering money up and down you will know he is getting ready for something big.... And why Atiku choose Peter Obi was because of his good work in Anambra and now the president is from south west and the vice is from northern part of the country, now if shettima is coming out for president he may likely choose vice from south east or south south.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Abagworo(m): 8:02am On Mar 09
Very wrong in this unstable economy except the contract is awarded in Dollars.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Zulu11zulu: 8:10am On Mar 09
Ofunaofu:

https://dailytrust.com/why-contractors-are-fighting-me-umahi/#google_vignette
when you become president in Nigeria you start from your region this is what jonathan should have done but no he was busy try to please fulani and neglect his people.

Look at what buhari did to northerners he even extended it to Niger republic.
I like how tinubu started and umahi should not forget where he come from our road are too bad he need to do something about it.

As for northerners they should wait .

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 8:33am On Mar 09
Urgent1Million:

If you understand what contractors do to get project variation, you'll encourage Umahi to continue in this path that many will see as aggressive.
Contactors collect mobilisation running into hundreds of millions and put the money in different investments without commencing work. After sometime, they'll come back and say that prices of materials have gone up and begin to fight for project variation.
Umahi understands their way that's why he's warning them before hand.
As soon as mobilisation is released for a project, the contractor should commence work immediately.

Variation is a normal part of life
Umahi should realise everything is not politics or propaganda
A contract is a transaction between two parties if you have issues negotiate or go to court. That is why it is called CONTRACT. It is governed by law

Cement changes in price as Do other inputs and the contractors are within their rights to demand variation

When contractors signed a contract with previous government and Umahi comes along and says change to concrete they are entitled to demand variation
If you are in an economy with 26% inflation it is normal
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by blackmantis: 8:40am On Mar 09
Umahi speaks a lot. He should borrow a leaf and learn from what Wike is doing in Abuja without complaining.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by israelmao(m): 8:42am On Mar 09
Making quotations in this kind of inflationary economy demands great meticulousness and foresight not hindsight because of rising cost of goods and services.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Orinechi: 8:50am On Mar 09
hardknocksng:
Media man. He likes media like the way slay queens like ticktock
Like Alex Otti na
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Yestogood: 8:53am On Mar 09
naija4life247:

A mortal human should never talk like this. PDP prophesied a 60 year dynasty. Buhari never spoke, but his actions foreshadowed a fulani takeover of every Nigerian structure.
Only God knows tomorrow. Calm down.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by tfelicityk(m): 9:03am On Mar 09
This is not the era where contractors and some elites who brought them to the country will be dictating to the government.

The government should take proper control of them.

The present minister of work may be tough on them. He is doing the needful.
Nigerians are solidly behind him.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Chikemn: 9:05am On Mar 09
What has Tunji done in his ministry? Till date there's scarcity of passport booklet. Infact Umahi is not complaining to anyone, he's making a policy statement which is clear. Federal ministry of works is far bigger than the interior ministry in terms of workload and management of funds.

kuntash:
I wonder how many times Tunji Ojo complains like this. That interior minister gets his job done and effects felt in less than a year .

Umahi should focus and stop all these many complaints . Is he not sn APC person ..?
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by stickle(m): 9:16am On Mar 09
kuntash:
I wonder how many times Tunji Ojo complains like this. That interior minister gets his job done and effects felt in less than a year .

Umahi should focus and stop all these many complaints . Is he not sn APC person ..?

It will be unfair to compare the two. What Umahi is facing is far more difficult.

Tunji is bringing out efficiency in staff while Umahi is fighting external forces with dip pocket
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 9:22am On Mar 09
aguluobi:
In other words Umahi ehould be paying variation to contractors for the jobs they were paid but delayed just to earn variation n you are one of the poor Nigerians he was fighting for ?! I pity your soul to say the least.

That is emotional nonsense
What evidence is there that they delayed job just to get variation or that the variation is profitable. We are Talking of an economy with 26% inflation .
Wike avoided variation because he often paid 100% upfront and signed a contract to that effect.

There is a reason it is called CONTRACT. You can always go to court or get your money back. If you do not sign a fraudulent contract in the first place
It is not only government that awards contracts. The private sector does too. Shell Dangote Mobil all award all kinds of contracts without noise.
Government should manage their contracts better and not enter contracts that are not in the interests of the people
The Federal government procurement law does not allow 100% upfront and often there are delays for many reasons e.g . Youth obstruction or security problems like kidnapping which are government responsibility

Variation will happen if government does not pay on time.
Often the budget process is a problem and government officials are part of it.
How come Wike never had this problem. All his contracts were completed on time
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Mohisah: 9:23am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:
UMAIH did well as Ebonyi State governor in the areas of road construction and many other infrastructure, But he treated workers badly and was a small god.

If he tries to show wickedness to the federal contractors, the contractors will slug it out with him because federal government is not Ebonyi State where he pocketed for eight good years.
That's it! Federal is diff from State.
All we want is welfarism
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Urgent1Million: 9:55am On Mar 09
Gajagojo:

Variation is a normal part of life
Umahi should realise everything is not politics or propaganda
A contract is a transaction between two parties if you have issues negotiate or go to court. That is why it is called CONTRACT. It is governed by law

Cement changes in price as Do other inputs and the contractors are within their rights to demand variation

When contractors signed a contract with previous government and Umahi comes along and says change to concrete they are entitled to demand variation
If you are in an economy with 26% inflation it is normal
Price variation is different from contract variation.
Umahi is not opposed to price variation. He's saying that government will not accept contract variation due to contractors deliberate refusal to commence work after being mobilised.
Let's take the coastal road project for instance.
If during any period of the construction, the prices of cement, iron rods, DPC materials, laterite and so on go up significantly, the contractor is entitled to claim a price variation with evidence.
Now, projects are planned with EDC for a reason.
If a contractor collects mobilisation for a contract to commence in November 2024 and the project is to be delivered in 18 months, that project is expected to be completed in April 2026.
That means it will go through just one serious rainy season.
If the contractor delays the commencement of the project and eventually starts work in April 2025, the project will have a new EDC of September, 2026.
That means the project will pass through two serious rainy seasons. Not only will the average cost of moving materials be affected, the useful time of operation will drop significantly thereby increase execution cost. Also, the contractor may need to build more storage tents for materials that may be affected by rain. Cost of constructing in swampy areas will also increase as they may need to drain water from some areas to allow for construction in order to meet the EDC.
When the contractor goes back to the government and asks for adjustments to accommodate all these, it becomes a contract variation. Even the EDC may be moved forward which could lead to further price variations. That is what Umahi is trying to avoid.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 9:57am On Mar 09
Urgent1Million:

Price variation is different from contract variation.
Umahi is not opposed to price variation. He's saying that government will not accept contract variation due to contractors deliberate refusal to commence work after being mobilised.
Let's take the coastal road project for instance.
If during any period of the construction, the prices of cement, iron rods, DPC materials, laterite and so on go up significantly, the contractor is entitled to claim a price variation with evidence.
Now, projects are planned with EDC for a reason.
If a contractor collects mobilisation for a contract to commence in November 2024 and the project is to be delivered in 18 months, that project is expected to be completed in April 2026.
That means it will go through just one serious rainy season.
If the contractor delays the commencement of the project and eventually starts work in April 2025, the project will have a new EDC of September, 2026.
That means the project will pass through two serious rainy seasons. Not only will the average cost of moving materials be affected, the useful time of operation will drop significantly thereby increase execution cost. Also, the contractor may need to build more storage tents for materials that may be affected by rain. Cost of constricting in swampy areas will also increase as they may need to drain water from some areas to allow for construction in order to meet the EDC.
When the contractor goes back to the government and ask for adjustments to accommodate all these, it becomes a contract variation. Even the EDC may be moved forward which could lead to further price variations. That is what Umahi is trying to avoid.

Can you please give an example of contract variation
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Urgent1Million: 10:04am On Mar 09
Gajagojo:

Can you please give an example of contract variation
I give you a contract to construct 28 km of road in 6 months, starting from November 2023 to end in April 2024.
After collecting mobilisation, you delay the start date till April 2024. That means you expect to complete the project in September 2024.
The original period (November - April) has little or no rain but (April to September) has a lot of rain. You realized that the cost of the project will increase significantly, not because the prices of materials have increased. You approach me to either bring more money, reduce the 28 km to 24 km or put the construction on hold until the rains are over.
That is contract variation.
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 10:09am On Mar 09
Urgent1Million:

I give you a contract to construct 28 km of road in 6 months, starting from November 2023 to end in April 2024.
After collecting mobilisation, you delay the start date till April 2024. That means you expect to complete the project in September 2024.
The original period (November - April) has little or no rain but (April to September) has a lot of rain. You realized that the cost of the project will increase significantly, not because the prices of materials have increased. You approach me to either bring more money, reduce the 28 km to 24 km or put the construction on hold until the rains are over.
That is contract variation.

This is too long

What you mean by contract variation is delayed start is that correct?
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by porthouse7(f): 10:17am On Mar 09
Lumarstone:

the only igbo man we are grooming for president
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Urgent1Million: 10:19am On Mar 09
Gajagojo:

This is too long

What you mean by contract variation is delayed start is that correct?
No.
Delayed start is not contract variation.
Contract variations are the changes that may be made to initially agreed terms of the contract.
If we sign a contract that you'll deliver 150 trailers of food to me within 2 months and for one reason or another, you come to say that you can only deliver 120 trailers or I should give you more time to deliver the 150 trailers, you are asking for a contract variation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 10:21am On Mar 09
Urgent1Million:

No.
Delayed start is not contract variation.
Contract variations are the changes that may be made to initially agreed terms of the contract.
If we sign a contract that you'll deliver 150 trailers of food to me within 2 months and for one reason or another, you come to say that you can only deliver 120 trailers or I should give you more time to deliver the 150 trailers, you are asking for a contract variation.
So price variation is not a contract variation?

You need to relate your example to road construction

Not trailers of food

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Umuinyioku: 10:33am On Mar 09
Urgent1Million:

If you understand what contractors do to get project variation, you'll encourage Umahi to continue in this path that many will see as aggressive.
Contactors collect mobilisation running into hundreds of millions and put the money in different investments without commencing work. After sometime, they'll come back and say that prices of materials have gone up and begin to fight for project variation.
Umahi understands their way that's why he's warning them before hand.
As soon as mobilisation is released for a project, the contractor should commence work immediately.
Exactly. Well said.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Menclothing: 10:39am On Mar 09
This man has my vote any time
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Lumarstone: 10:45am On Mar 09
porthouse7:
the only igbo man we are grooming for president

Who are "we" please?
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Umuinyioku: 10:48am On Mar 09
kuntash:

Are you an illiterate?

He is tacitly complaining that some of these contractors will collect mobilise fees but won't start work immediately. They will delay by making use of the money. At the time they want to commence the job, prices of items/materials must have skyrocketed. Therefore,they won't pay the difference (variation) arising from the delays.

1 Like

Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by PHAYOL81: 10:51am On Mar 09
Alright
Re: Why Contractors Are Fighting Me – Umahi by Gajagojo: 10:53am On Mar 09
jacoik:
Na only this man and minister for interior be d only minister wey get head for dis government
Not true
Keyamo is doing a good job, Wike is too both have recorded verifiable results
It is not by making noise
I think.The I period minister is making too much noise.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Will Not Steal Our Money, Says Osinbajo As He Begins Door-to-door Campaig / Peter Obi: Catholic Church Disowns Priest Preaching Against Soludo And APGA / House Approves Tinubu’s Request For N500billion on Palliatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.