Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? (6510 Views)

How I make my millions and How To Handle Business Start Up/ Business Management / Starting A Business After University Or Getting A Job. Which One Is Better? / Home Business/start Up Business In Usa and abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 5:14pm On Nov 13, 2011
I have noticed that many people start-up business after there retirement. Why?
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 5:46pm On Nov 13, 2011
if one plans to start-up a business after retirement then is better not to work for others. What will it profit me after spending 30years to build other peoples' company and start-up my own when am old. Is better i invest that time and start-up my own and take time 2 learn, make mistakes and build my business.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by efisher(m): 8:59pm On Nov 13, 2011
Many do so cos they realize themselves late. I have come to understand that you can hardly become extremely rich if you depend on salary alone. Investment is the key and you must start it early enough. A good salary is just an advantage in terms of raising capital, stability of income and depending on the nature of your job, INFORMATION (The most important).
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by Jenifa1: 9:03pm On Nov 13, 2011
they want to keep working.
they have saved enough over the years so d capital is available.
they are not as afraid of risks.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 11:15am On Nov 14, 2011
for you to be rich you have to learn to work for nothing, i mean to work for no reward at the early stage of your business.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 11:20am On Nov 14, 2011
@efisher i like your comment, but the only thing that can make people to continue working for others even when they know it will not make them rich is FEAR of not being able to pay bills and GREED.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by queenesthr(f): 11:51am On Nov 14, 2011
Any body starting up a business is not actually retired.

Retirement means you have stopped working - either for yourself or for others.

That is why it is important to have sound investments that can give you financial freedom - income from your investments that can cover your expenses.

Then and only then can you truly retire.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 14, 2011
I will say the best answer is that they are scared of depending on their pention, which is hanging on a balance, u can never tell what Nigeria government can do
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by manchy7531: 4:31pm On Nov 14, 2011
Staying at home after retirement can be your worst enemy because of boredom,which is a disease on it own and can lead to other sickness.so it is best to do something that keeps you busy as a form of physical and mental exercise,which running a business (whether big or small) can help you overcome boredom and all sickness related to inactivity.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by yme1(f): 4:43pm On Nov 14, 2011
People go into business for different reasons
and based on this unpredictable harsh economy the zeal to start up a business is growing rapidly
The economy is deteriorating, the government is not to be trusted, the zeal of being an entrepreneur is there, the capital is available, you have a well planned out idea, your research is done perfectly well and it will benefit you etc
If all the needs of starting up a business has been handled then why bother sit at home being idle when u can lead a part of independent undecided
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by chines4(m): 4:49pm On Nov 14, 2011
I don't think that I will stop working at age of 65. But if you have to retire then u need to keep u'r self busy, by doing something that is u like
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by sulad82i(m): 5:47pm On Nov 14, 2011
Dhuuuu,

Life does not end after retirement.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by kings112(m): 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2011
I think is to keep their self busy.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 6:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
At lot of people will tell you that business is risk, business require skill, business require heavy capital but you find out that after there retirement they will still start-up a business without remembering all the said about business, My point is, is better to start a business when you are young, learn all it take and build your business. When your mates will be retiring to start-up a business you will be a Lord already. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2011
kings112:

I think is to keep their self busy.
I don't think so, I believe is because by the time the retire they have realize that government pension will not be able to pay there bills.

odiaero:

I will say the best answer is that they are scared of depending on their pention, which is hanging on a balance, u can never tell what Nigeria government can do
I agree with you

unclenna:

if one plans to start-up a business after retirement then is better not to work for others. What will it profit me after spending 30years to build other peoples' company and start-up my own when am old. Is better i invest that time and start-up my own and take time 2 learn, make mistakes and build my business.

GBAM!!!
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by cantell(m): 6:27pm On Nov 14, 2011
unclenna:

At lot of people will tell you that business is risk, business require skill, business require heavy capital but you find out that after there retirement they will still start-up a business without remembering all the said about business, My point is, is better to start a business when you are young, learn all it take and build your business. When your mates will be retiring to start-up a business you will be a Lord already. grin
You just asked yourself a question and answered it.
Hope you're not expectin anythin else.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by highland(m): 6:38pm On Nov 14, 2011
They often fail due to lack of adequate knowledge of money making needed in business compare to civil service where they only learn how to spend money.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
cantell:

You just asked yourself a question and answered it.
Hope you're not expectin anythin else.
Nope, that's what I think, what do you think, that't what this trade want to achieve.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by tlops(m): 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2011
Some people can afford to be in-active.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 6:42pm On Nov 14, 2011
highland:

They often fail due to lack of adequate knowledge of money making needed in business compare to civil service where they only learn how to spend money.
you have a point
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by saintneo(m): 7:38pm On Nov 14, 2011
[size=38pt]it's not retirement, it is career change![/size]
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 7:45pm On Nov 14, 2011
saintneo:

[size=38pt]it's not retirement, it is career change![/size]
Then why change at that age, will the person be able to cope in that business embarassed
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by AjanleKoko: 7:49pm On Nov 14, 2011
For most retirees, they just want to keep busy and stay relevant. After years of hustle and bustle, they don't want to be idle.
Ironically, according to Zig Ziglar, the fear of being idle is a manfestation of low self-esteem. In his book, See You At The Top, he postulates that a person with low self-esteem can't stand to be idle or inactive. Food for thought, I think.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by babalo1: 8:01pm On Nov 14, 2011
Do not ever depend on Government Retirement and please if you can start up a business before you retire or have some substantial assets in the form of cash, real estate and invest in your children. Plus get dual citizenship in case Nigeria messes up.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by 4Truth: 8:10pm On Nov 14, 2011
AM IN AN OCCUPATION WHERE I COME IN CONTACT WITH SO MANY PEOPLE WHO RETIRE AND THEN START A BUSINESS.
IN MOST CASES THE BUSINESS FAIL.
THERE ARE 3 R"S WE MUST NOTE

1-RESIGN. 2-RETRENCH. 3-RETIRE

2 OF THESE IS FORCED ON YOU IN YOUR CAREER.
IF YOU DO NOT RESIGN AND START A BUSINESS, YOU CAN BE RETRENCHED WHEN YOU ARE LEAST READY FOR IT.
OR YOU WILL ULTIMATELY HAVE TO RETIRE, AT AN AN ADVANCED AGE WHEN YOU LEAST EQUIPPED TO WEATHER THE
INEVITABLE CHALLENGES THAT COMES WITH STARTING AND RUNNING A BUSINESS.

THE BUSINESS YOU DID NOT START IN YOUR 20S,30S,40S OR EVEN EARLY 50S,MAY B EXTRA DIFFICULT FOR YOU LATTER IN LIFE.

HAVEN SAID THIS, I MUST QUICKLY ADD.

NOT EVERY TEMPERAMENT HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO START AND RUN A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS. IT TAKES MORE THAN A BIG BANK ACCOUNT AND BUSINESS IDEA TO SUCCEED.

IF YOU WANT TO RESIGN AND START A BUSINESS THEN BE READY FOR
A DOG FIGHT THAT COMES WITH RUTHLESS COMPETITION IN THE BUSINESS WORLD,LONG WORKING HOURS,SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND
MANAGING HIGH BLOOD PRESSURES FROM ALL KINDS OF STRESS AND LONELINESS.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANY OF THESE.
THEN,MY ADVICE IS, PLEASE BUILD YOUR CAREER AND SAVE AND INVEST IN LONG-TERM SECURITIES THAT WOULD YIELD A LIVING INCOME WHEN YOU RETIRE.STAY CLEAR FROM STARTING A BUSINESS THAT WOULD MOST LIKELY FAIL AFTER DRAINING YOU OF YOUR LIFE SAVINGS.
PEACE!!!
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by sheyguy: 8:34pm On Nov 14, 2011
Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement?
because the pension system in this part of the world is "too reliable"
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by unclenna(m): 9:26pm On Nov 14, 2011
4Truth:

AM IN AN OCCUPATION WHERE I COME IN CONTACT WITH SO MANY PEOPLE WHO RETIRE AND THEN START A BUSINESS.
IN MOST CASES THE BUSINESS FAIL.
THERE ARE 3 R"S WE MUST NOTE

1-RESIGN. 2-RETRENCH. 3-RETIRE

2 OF THESE IS FORCED ON YOU IN YOUR CAREER.
IF YOU DO NOT RESIGN AND START A BUSINESS, YOU CAN BE RETRENCHED WHEN YOU ARE LEAST READY FOR IT.
OR YOU WILL ULTIMATELY HAVE TO RETIRE, AT AN AN ADVANCED AGE WHEN YOU LEAST EQUIPPED TO WEATHER THE
INEVITABLE CHALLENGES THAT COMES WITH STARTING AND RUNNING A BUSINESS.

THE BUSINESS YOU DID NOT START IN YOUR 20S,30S,40S OR EVEN EARLY 50S,MAY B EXTRA DIFFICULT FOR YOU LATTER IN LIFE.

HAVEN SAID THIS, I MUST QUICKLY ADD.

NOT EVERY TEMPERAMENT HAS WHAT IT TAKES TO START AND RUN A SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS. IT TAKES MORE THAN A BIG BANK ACCOUNT AND BUSINESS IDEA TO SUCCEED.

IF YOU WANT TO RESIGN AND START A BUSINESS THEN BE READY FOR
A DOG FIGHT THAT COMES WITH RUTHLESS COMPETITION IN THE BUSINESS WORLD,LONG WORKING HOURS,SLEEPLESS NIGHTS AND
MANAGING HIGH BLOOD PRESSURES FROM ALL KINDS OF STRESS AND LONELINESS. but that should not be the reason why you will not start a business, because if you still start it after retirement you will still face them all

IF YOU DO NOT WANT ANY OF THESE.
THEN,MY ADVICE IS, PLEASE BUILD YOUR CAREER AND SAVE AND INVEST IN LONG-TERM SECURITIES THAT WOULD YIELD A LIVING INCOME WHEN YOU RETIRE.STAY CLEAR FROM STARTING A BUSINESS THAT WOULD MOST LIKELY FAIL AFTER DRAINING YOU OF YOUR LIFE SAVINGS.
PEACE!!! Playing it safe will not help really, what if mutual fund fail in you old age

my advice is that all young guys should fire there boss and start-up there own business.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by 4Truth: 9:43pm On Nov 14, 2011
MY GOAL IS NOT TO SCARE PPLE AWAY FROM STARTING A BUSINESS WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG AND ABLE,
BUT TO RATHER INFORM THE MIND OF THOSE INTENDING TO DO SO AFTER RETIREMENT.
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by ogaju007(m): 9:56pm On Nov 14, 2011
ask them now shebi u dey see them grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 14, 2011
unclenna:

I don't think so, I believe is because by the time the retire they have realize that government pension will not be able to pay there bills.
I agree with you

GBAM!!!

Why you dey gbam yourself
Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by FEMARY1: 11:53pm On Nov 14, 2011
What would somebody be doing after retirement?Wake up and sleep?Life is not designed that way.

Re: Why Do People Start Up Business After Their Retirement? by runsgirl: 12:12am On Nov 15, 2011
Play with the kids

(1) (2) (Reply)

Successful Stage-1 YOUWIN Women Participants / Let's Talk About Warren Buffet / Access Bank Plans N30bn 15.5% Tier-2 Bond

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.