Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,354 members, 7,815,750 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 (34902 Views)

Biggest Mess Created In 2023 Was Naira Devaluation From N460 To N1,400-Dangote / Why Naira Will Continue To Appreciate / Naira To Appreciate, Settle At N600/$1 In Coming Months, Says JP Morgan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Ikpunekenwa(m): 7:12am On Mar 10
danowena:

Don’t you know some people are plainly silly? Same people that shout he forged a document that the university confirmed?

Which university confirmed it, the confirm. Timon you people twisted but still nobody bought it.

Why did he say if his school stuffs are exposed to atiku that it will cause irreparable damage?
Why that statement...
Una dey disgrace una selves before una even talk.

The hooligan you are quoting said dollar is 1500 to dollar, just like we keep proving you guys wrong, I showed Him the official rate, same thing you guys did when tilumbu was exposed.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by airsaylongcome: 7:39am On Mar 10
BOSSkesh:
Very good for the Naira
Gradually we will get it right

Check my signature for free stuffs!!!

Lol! FreeStuffNG don cast hin Alt. We are taking notes

2 Likes

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by bigiyaro(m): 8:16am On Mar 10
Blakjewelry:
we know back then the naira was at a false state but at least it shouldnt have gone above 400 if they had float it back then, I believe these reforms will yield great benefits but again Nigerian politician are fund of spending recklessly when the going is good.

Defending the naira is bad for the economy. I watch some Singaporean politician talked about the time they were facing economic challenges like this, they had to make hard decision to pumping their reserve but they have to put in place measures to make sure some future politicians don't spend what they didn't accrue. Today they are enjoying the Fruit, though I must say the changes come at a very very bad time.
don't be comparing real countries with Nigeria. Check their productivity index, check their corruption index, then check Nigeria's own, Normal simple policies work everywhere in other countries, but unfortunately those things don't work here, cos this is the only country in the world where 11 trillion naira is spent on refineries that don't produce a single drop of product.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Trex4(m): 8:40am On Mar 10
Everyday one financial firm comes out to give us hopium. And if you dare express skepticism they'll say you're not patriotic. 🤦‍♂️ You guys should stop falling for this. It's stale.

1 Like

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by GeneralDae: 9:13am On Mar 10
cjfavour:
Blaming emefiele about all these is hog wash and senseless. Emefiele didn't stop subsidy payment without plan nor float the naira.
Stop deceiving yourself.
What in the post suggests I'm blaming Emiefele?
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by omohayek: 9:38am On Mar 10
senatordave1:

Goldman Sachs an international firm with repute is now questionable?
Don't mind the ignoramus. Last year Goldman Sachs earned net revenues of $46.25 billion, which is more than an entire Nigerian state earned from oil in the same period!

https://www.goldmansachs.com/media-relations/press-releases/2024/2024-01-16-q4-results.html

The buffoon you are responding to, like the 160 other semi-literate buffoons who gave him a "like", is nothing more than an embittered tribalist who knows nothing about the world, and therefore resorts to wild conspiracy theories to explain away any news he doesn't like.

1 Like

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Ravenna: 9:53am On Mar 10
successmatters:
Goldman Sachs are now the people running the exchange rate, after they noticed that the Nigerians in power are illiterates grin

Goldman Sachs is the baba for Fraud in investment banking worldwide.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by freemanq(m): 10:42am On Mar 10
12 month projection of naira @1200,Omo Nigeria still have a long way to go
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Endinjustice: 10:59am On Mar 10
senatordave1:

Exactly except to the blind and senseless ones.naira was 1900 but has now decreased to 1500.does that not tell you that with more push,it will appreciate to 1000 by Dec

Someone said.... "APC and Tinubu apologists dey inhale insecticide".... and i agree with him 100%.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by comodo: 10:59am On Mar 10
senatordave1:

Exactly except to the blind and senseless ones.naira was 1900 but has now decreased to 1500.does that not tell you that with more push,it will appreciate to 1000 by Dec
Max Naira will go is 1200. Compare the exchange rate with other WA currencies. Even when Naira was @ 1900/$. 12cedi which is equivalent to #1200 was still $1 Even till today. I really don't see naira below 1200
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by pacespot(m): 12:37pm On Mar 10
₦1200/$ is still a disaster.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by frog12: 12:57pm On Mar 10
On 12 months?

Crooks
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Omalicious1: 1:06pm On Mar 10
emkz:

https://nairametrics.com/2024/03/09/naira-looks-cheap-to-appreciate-to-n1200-1-goldman-sachs/

All this is just mere audio if we don't stop importing petrol, get all our refineries up and running. Isn't it a shame that Qatar that has less oil than us has a refinery and is doing well?
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Kaybaba5(m): 1:10pm On Mar 10
Ofunaofu:
Tinubu is now contracting questionable international media houses, cash and carry analysts to give the impression that the economic policies imposed by his government are working.

First it was Bloomberg claiming that some phantom billions are pouring in, now some Goldman Sachs analysts saying that naira will appreciate

The Truth is that anything outside returning the Naira to dollar exchange rate to N700/a dollar and 185/liter of PMS where he met it is a total balderdash. A confirmed failure

Tinubu cannot be whitewashed. No opinion of international media house or world economic analyst can change that

We are wise now , let them continue saying this till four years come.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by danowena: 1:12pm On Mar 10
Ikpunekenwa:

Which university confirmed it, the confirm. Timon you people twisted but still nobody bought it.

Why did he say if his school stuffs are exposed to atiku that it will cause irreparable damage?
Why that statement...
Una dey disgrace una selves before una even talk.

The hooligan you are quoting said dollar is 1500 to dollar, just like we keep proving you guys wrong, I showed Him the official rate, same thing you guys did when tilumbu was exposed.

U lack information. Most universities in the US issue any other request for certificate or transcripts through vendors. School confirmed he graduated from the school and he was top of the class. Yet silly people are shouting forgery .Stop displaying ur ignorance.

Y didn’t Obama grant access to his records as well or even Joe Biden. These are their rights whether they want it in public or not.
I will end it here cos it is obvious most u lack a learner’s mindset.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by frankson1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 10
GeneralDae:

The problem we have today is that our net reserves are low. For many years, Emiefele was able to hide this fact by not exposing the CBN books fully. So we only knew our Gross reserves at around 37 Billion dollars then but no one knew our net reserves.

With poor net reserves, we had no choice but to devalue as we were only postponing the rainy day. Emiefele probably hoped that the Dangote refinery would come onstream soon to provide the needed FX.

When Asiwaju came on board and he devalued fast, there was only a little hike in interest rate and Tinubu gave the idea that a lower interest rate was more preferable. This may have sent mixed signals to foreign portfolio investors and so from July, they didn't bring in the dollars like they used to. Add to that the revelation of the CBN books as well as the report by JP Morgan that our net reserves were just a mere 3 Billion dollars. This 3 Billion dollars makes sense and shows why we couldn't pay a 7 Billion dollars backlog.

Markets hate uncertainty and so investments continued to reduce. Speculators also now began to suspect the CBN was powerless to defend the naira. Added to that, the CBN was not settled and only had an interim leader. With all of these, the naira was definitely bound to fall further throughout 2023.

All of what Cardoso is doing now, if he had began with them December, maybe the naira would not have gone past 1300. But again, Cardoso is focused on clearing the backlogs and MPC meeting was going to hold so late (in February).

So to answer your question, I would say I agree that it may not have been sustainable.

The FG needs to get all the refineries working at optimal levels however they can, encourage private bodies to invest in modular refineries, face insecurity head-on so farmers can go back to their farms.

At this point, they need to identify the foundational problems and deal with them in a very ruthless manner.

CORRUPTION, which I believe is the major evil here, should be fought like someone who is fighting for survival because, the country is actually at this level right now.

And then, we have the governors who are either not willing or interested in doing anything other than constructing a few km of roads for 8 years.
They don't have investments plans, not ready to take up responsibilities of creating job opportunities.

Until all these run properly, will we have a steady, sustainable and strong currency.

1 Like

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by goody234: 4:06pm On Mar 10
Tinubu has sold the country to these western country tools IMF, world bank etc trying to attract investors at the cost of economic hardship to the populace ...Hunger across the land this will cause deprivation and a huge increase in crime
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by grandstar(m): 9:45pm On Mar 10
Ofunaofu:
Tinubu is now contracting questionable international media houses, cash and carry analysts to give the impression that the economic policies imposed by his government are working.

First it was Bloomberg claiming that some phantom billions are pouring in, now some Goldman Sachs analysts saying that naira will appreciate

The Truth is that anything outside returning the Naira to dollar exchange rate to N700/a dollar and 185/liter of PMS where he met it is a total balderdash. A confirmed failure

Tinubu cannot be whitewashed. No opinion of international media house or world economic analyst can change that

A poor understanding of economics is definitely your problem and not what thesw international firms have posited. You obviously did not grasp a thing.

If it was true Tinubu paid them, were it to be confirmed, their stock prices would collapse due to not only reputational risk but also the huge hefty fine that'll be placed on them by the US justice system.

Michael Bloomberg is worth over $90b. What will Tinubu pay him to be so daft to lose his reputation which his number one priority and then his fortune.

1 Like

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by grandstar(m): 9:59pm On Mar 10
Ofunaofu:

Now tell me, does the submissions of Goldman Sachs analysts correlate with the situation on ground

Yes it does.

What the CBN needs to do now is to increase interest rates high enough has it said to start bringing inflation down.

Once the CBN does that, the exchange rate should touch $1-1,200. So they are correct

In addition, I feel more is needed.

The price of petrol needs to once and for all be deregulated. This has been done for diesel, kerosene and cooking gas. If done, this would end petrol subsidy completely and put the fiscal balance sheet in a much better place. It would also spur investment into the downstream sector of oil industry.

The same should be done the price of electricity. This would not only save government money as well but spur investment into that sector which would raise power supply astronomically. I'm sure within 2 years, power supply would be at least 20 houra a day, which would be a phenomenal improvement.

1 Like

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Ofunaofu: 10:04pm On Mar 10
grandstar:

Yes it does.

What the CBN needs to do now is to increase interest rates high enough has it said to start bringing inflation down.

Once the CBN does that, the exchange rate should touch $1-1,200. So they are correct

In addition, I feel more is needed.

The price of petrol needs to once and for all be deregulated. This has been done for diesel, kerosene and cooking gas. If done, this would end petrol subsidy completely and put the fiscal balance sheet in a much better place. It would also spur investment into the downstream sector of oil industry.

The same should be done the price of electricity. This would not only save government money as well but spur investment into that sector which would raise power supply astronomically. I'm sure within 2 years, power supply would be at least 20 houra a day, which would be a phenomenal improvement.

Are you implying that subsidies are being paid on petrol as we speak? If that's the case, it contradicts Tinubu's inauguration day speech when he said, and I quote, "Subsidy is gone."
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by GeneralDae: 10:28pm On Mar 10
Ofunaofu:

Are you implying that subsidies are being paid on petrol as we speak? If that's the case, it contradicts Tinubu's inauguration day speech when he said, and I quote, "Subsidy is gone."
Subsidy was indeed removed in June and July 2023 but then the dollar was at 750. Now it is at 1600, so using today's dollar exchange rate, if you completely remove it again, you may be buying fuel at 1300.
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Ofunaofu: 10:33pm On Mar 10
GeneralDae:

Subsidy was indeed removed in June and July 2023 but then the dollar was at 750. Now it is at 1600, so using today's dollar exchange rate, if you completely remove it again, you may be buying fuel at 1300.

These are your opinion, Because no government official have come up to tell us that subsidy is being paid.

Tinubu told us that subsidy is gone, and that's where we are
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by grandstar(m): 11:40pm On Mar 10
Ofunaofu:

Please, you are not kids that need to be told everything. I am not meaning it as an insult.

Ask yourself, if the price of rice, beans and other products have increased, how come that of petrol remains the same?

Let me even use a better example. Has the price of diesel, kerosene and especially cooking gas not increased, how come that of petrol has remained the same? At least you buy either cooking gas or kerosene to cook so must be familiar with either of them. They are all derived from crude oil.

Why is price deregulation better than simply subsidy removal?

If the international price of petrol is $1 per litre and the exchange rate is $1-500, and government sells at N600 and says at this price "subsidy is gone", it might be right.

What if tomorrow, the Naira depreciates to $1-N700, and the price for petrol still sells at $1 per litre, when you calculate it, the price is N700 per litre. If the government still sells the petrol at N600, is the subsidy gone or now back? You calculate!

Or let's say the international price of petrol is no longer $1 per litre but now $1.50 per litre. The exchange rate of the Naira is still $1-500, so the price will now be at least $1.50 per litre x 500 which is 750/litre. If the government still wants to sell at N600/litre, is the subsidy gone or now back?.

Whether subsidy is gone or back depends on variables such as the international price of petrol, exchange rate of the Naira and many other factors "at any point in time!"

Remember in 2015, the then PDP led government reduced the price of petrol from N97 per litre to N87.

Why? Because the price of crude oil had fallen from $110/barrel in 2012 to $50 per barrel by 2015. So, at a N87 price, it could not only sell without any subsidy, but make a profit as well.

It is all about the variables.

However, if the price of petrol is deregulated, the government no longer fixes a "no subsidy price" but allows the market to dictate the price. This is what happens with diesel, kerosene and cooking gas. It is the right way to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Ofunaofu: 6:02am On Mar 11
grandstar:

Please, you are not kids that need to be told everything. I am not meaning it as an insult.

Ask yourself, if the price of rice, beans and other products have increased, how come that of petrol remains the same?

Let me even use a better example. Has the price of diesel, kerosene and especially cooking gas not increased, how come that of petrol has remained the same? At least you buy either cooking gas or kerosene to cook so must be familiar with either of them. They are all derived from crude oil.

Why is price deregulation better than simply subsidy removal?

If the international price of petrol is $1 per litre and the exchange rate is $1-500, and government sells at N600 and says at this price "subsidy is gone", it might be right.

What if tomorrow, the Naira depreciates to $1-N700, and the price for petrol still sells at $1 per litre, when you calculate it, the price is N700 per litre. If the government still sells the petrol at N600, is the subsidy gone or now back? You calculate!

Or let's say the international price of petrol is no longer $1 per litre but now $1.50 per litre. The exchange rate of the Naira is still $1-500, so the price will now be at least $1.50 per litre x 500 which is 750/litre. If the government still wants to sell at N600/litre, is the subsidy gone or now back?.

Whether subsidy is gone or back depends on variables such as the international price of petrol, exchange rate of the Naira and many other factors "at any point in time!"

Remember in 2015, the then PDP led government reduced the price of petrol from N97 per litre to N87.

Why? Because the price of crude oil had fallen from $110/barrel in 2012 to $50 per barrel by 2015. So, at a N87 price, it could not only sell without any subsidy, but make a profit as well.

It is all about the variables.

However, if the price of petrol is deregulated, the government no longer fixes a "no subsidy price" but allows the market to dictate the price. This is what happens with diesel, kerosene and cooking gas. It is the right way to go.

No government official or even NNPCL who is the major fuel importer have come forward to verify this claims you are making you are making.

You are just making you personal opinion base on little or no understanding of the entire stuff

What we Nigerians know is that subsidy is gone and that's the reason we are buying petrol at N700 per liter at the moment. If subsidy is being paid, Tinubu should tell Nigerians that subsidy is not gone not you bro
Re: Goldman Sachs: Naira Looks Cheap, To Appreciate To N1,200/$1 by Nickelodeon93: 12:01pm On Apr 25
commoditiesnig:

Excellent analysis.
good morning please what is dollar rate today?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unending Delays On Shipments With Grimaldi / Femi Otedola To Sell His Forte Oil Shares / The Burning Of The Demolished Oshodi Market In Lagos State Nigeria - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.