Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,869 members, 7,828,099 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity (9512 Views)

Health Professionals Urged To Call Vaginas 'bonus Holes' ( Pics) / Artificially Sweetened Drinks Increase Risk Of Stroke And Dementia / Sugar-sweetened Beverages Tax In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:25am On Mar 11
lexy2014:

off point.

since politics has not robbed you of your commonsense, how come that all this while you cant answer a simple question....what has been done with all the previous taxes that have been collected under different guises?

Lexy, grow up.
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by MVLOX(m): 9:28am On Mar 11
NLCreator:

https://gazettengr.com/fg-urged-to-introduce-higher-taxes-on-sugar-sweetened-drinks-to-reduce-obesity/

How will this bring down the price of food stuffs in the market.... The number of normal/sane people is drastically reducing in Nigeria
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Feldie: 9:29am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Having diabetes is a nice way of making things very hard for a Nigerian.

Modifed

Kind of amusing to see how NIgerians are in denial about how soft drinks are bad for your health.
Nigerian government care so much about your health but they don't care about those getting stomach ulcer or dying of starvation. Keep supporting charlatans fleecing you to buy properties abroad
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:31am On Mar 11
Trenow:
the majority cause of diabetes is not related to drinking soft drinks, but the too much stash and carbohydrates we consume from our food rice cassava, etc

BUT the science says otherwise...

The consumption of soft drinks was associated with a higher risk of type 2 diabetes in a cohort of Mexican adults. Our results further support recommendations to limit soft drinks intake to address the growing diabetes epidemic in Mexico

Sauce:Torres-Ibarra, L., Rivera-Paredez, B., Hernández-López, R. et al. Regular consumption of soft drinks is associated with type 2 diabetes incidence in Mexican adults: findings from a prospective cohort study. Nutr J 19, 126 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12937-020-00642-9
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by epainos: 9:31am On Mar 11
This thread is the real x-ray of Nigeria. Now, you can see why people die young. This association is trying to save them, but they want to die prematurely by fire by force. Make una dey consume sugar.

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by sunsweet33: 9:31am On Mar 11
1bunne4lif:
Cluelessness at its peak, can you point one person that is obese in Nigeria?

Plenty of people are obese in Nigeria. Especially middle aged women, commonly known as Madam.

There’s nothing wrong with increasing tax on poisonous sugary drink imported by foreign companies, I don’t understand what you people are complaining about.

By the way, black people are genetically predisposed to diabetes type 2. So this should just be the first of many such measures

The next one should be public announcement not to use a mountain of Eba to swallow a molehill of soup!
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by SaturnNick(m): 9:31am On Mar 11
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:32am On Mar 11
Feldie:
Nigerian government care so much about your health but they don't care about those getting stomach ulcer or dying of starvation. Keep supporting charlatans fleecing you to buy properties abroad

That is why i have told you people over the years not to vote for PDP, APC, or anyone from them, but you guys don't want to listen

Enjoy your government. Na you wey vote for am.
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by lexy2014: 9:32am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Lexy, grow up.

that is not what I asked you.

since politics has not robbed you of your commonsense, how come that all this while you cant answer a simple question....what has been done with all the previous taxes that have been collected under different guises?
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Lovenorth: 9:32am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Obesity can cause a whole lot of health problems, which can be very very harsh on one's wallet.

What of hunger?
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:33am On Mar 11
lexy2014:

Lexy, grow up.
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by SaturnNick(m): 9:33am On Mar 11
Sirmwill:

Are Nigerians even obese?

I wonder ooo... Hunger wey wan kill people no be here 🤷🤷🤷

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:33am On Mar 11
Lovenorth:

What of hunger?

You would have cured that by voting out PDPAPC...since.
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by lexy2014: 9:34am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Lexy, grow up.

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:34am On Mar 11
lexy2014:

Lexy, grow up.
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by epainos: 9:34am On Mar 11
Trenow:
the majority cause of diabetes is not related to drinking soft drinks, but the too much stash and carbohydrates we consume from our food rice cassava, etc
Sugar is sugar. Don't deceive yourself. And listen, these items of food you posted have fibre in them, so they are still very ok. But drinks don't have fibre to delay releasing sugar into your blood. Na gateway straight to diabetes. I dont know where you got this lie from. I wont argue with you...but see...I encourage you to drink soda. Na your die...no be mine. grin

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Lovenorth: 9:35am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

You would have cured that by voting out PDPAPC...since.
grin I think if they love Nigerians they should first fight hunger before any other thing
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by tnerro1(m): 9:35am On Mar 11
And also increase cigarette and alcohol too by 1000% to promote healthy lifestyle

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Feldie: 9:36am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

That is why i have told you people over the years not to vote for PDP, APC, or anyone from them, but you guys don't want to listen

Enjoy your government. Na you wey vote for am.
still doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up against them. Even in America, it's either Democrat or Republican. Thinking a third force can become president is delusional thinking
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by lexy2014: 9:37am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Lexy, grow up.

since you have grown up and politics has not robbed you of your commonsense, how come that all this while you cant answer a simple question....what has been done with all the previous taxes that have been collected under different guises?
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:38am On Mar 11
Lovenorth:

grin I think if they love Nigerians they should first fight hunger before any other thing

But even then, speaking as someone who has seen people dump their entire savings on treatment for diabetes and obesity, at the end of the day, the tax makes sense.

It is sad people are hungry in Nigeria, but the hungery and poor people won;t be buying soft drinks anyway in the first place.

Sometimes, we can clap for government when they make sane decisions. I so don';t like tinubu or pdp, or lp. But if na Obi making this decision , I would say the same thing.

It costs money to treat the effects of soft drink consumption. Anything to prevent that is welcome. Even if it comes from the incompetent APC.

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:39am On Mar 11
Feldie:
still doesn't mean you shouldn't speak up against them. Even in America, it's either Democrat or Republican. Thinking a third force can become president is delusional thinking

Okay, enjoy your PDP and APC.

As for me, the science for once backs any attempt to reduce sugar intake. Whoever is in power.

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by MEGAWATCH: 9:40am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

It's because you have never had to see your loved one die slowly from diabetes brought about by a lifetime of bad eating habits, including a lot of soft drinks.

I have. It's not funny.

Mention how many of your love ones that had die of obesity?

Most of you can even curse God in order to defend a politician and their actions.

Is that how bad things are in NIGERIA?

Nawaooo!
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by yomi531(m): 9:49am On Mar 11
I saw something about this during Buhari's regime. Chai, so I no go dey drink black cover coke again? OK oo
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by TOYNEX(f): 9:51am On Mar 11
Reducity Obesity for Hungry people? We joke too much in this country
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Fryx: 9:51am On Mar 11
No be only obesity. Those drinking sugary drinks are mostly people doing high-intensity jobs. If you work inside sun from morning to night, tell me how sugar wan remain for your blood stream when you obviously need the energy.

If you get money, and you cannot maintain your eating habit, then go and spend it in the hospital. Leave poor people that needs the drink alone.

I drank coke for energy when I was doing labor work. Even now that my job is mostly thinking, I still need the extra sugar because the brain need a lot of energy. They don’t even affect my blood sugar level, talk less of obesity.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Yaccybaby: 9:54am On Mar 11
As if they care, just fighting for their pocket
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by chidiokay: 9:55am On Mar 11
crossfm:
Hehehe.

APC and their supporters will dance to this news. The government love Nigerians so much and is now fighting obesity for them.

I believe the present hunger in the land is another great move to stop obesity and make Nigerians more fit tongue grin cheesy.

Removing subsidy is another great move. People are now fit as a result of trekking tongue shocked.

Omo,sense wan kill this government grin.

Oga shutup if you can't make your point without being stupid, what as ApC supporters got to with anything here

Is it the govt that is proposing such ridiculous policy, lets face the reality with the present economic hardship how many Nigerians can afford carbonated drinks ... even money to eat balance diet for a day never complete undecided
With the incessant increase in prices of carbonated drink if NASR use there brain they will figure "Demand as dropped"

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by Obainomilano: 9:57am On Mar 11
nairalanda1:

Having diabetes is a nice way of making things very hard for a Nigerian.

Modifed

Kind of amusing to see how NIgerians are in denial about how soft drinks are bad for your health.

MOdified 2

People who consume sugary drinks regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks

Sugary drinks: the nutrition source.
apart from criminals which average Nigerian can afford two bottles of mineral a day with 30k minimum wage ...this is irrelevant at this current time

1 Like

Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 9:59am On Mar 11
Obainomilano:
apart from criminals which average Nigerian can afford two bottles of mineral a day with 30k minimum wage ...this is irrelevant at this current time

SO, people drinking soft drinks are criminals?
Re: FG Urged To Introduce Higher Taxes On Sugar-Sweetened Drinks To Reduce Obesity by nairalanda1(m): 10:00am On Mar 11
MEGAWATCH:

Mention how many of your love ones that had die of obesity?

Most of you can even curse God in order to defend a politician and their actions.

Is that how bad things are in NIGERIA?

Nawaooo!

I can, off my head mention two, and I can also mention several others who live with health complications.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Waist Training Experience #whatsawaist #gettingwaisted #teamnowaist :D :D / I Am Pregnant / My Experience At Stella Obasanjo Hospital, Benin City.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.