Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,754 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:40 PM

Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure (2961 Views)

"Tambuwal Na Nonsense"; Nigerian Presidency Takes Another Swipe At APC Leaders / Perks Of The Nigerian Presidency.(must See) / Things You Must Know About The Nigerian Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Francis5: 9:37pm On Nov 13, 2011
Hausa/Fulani has failed (Tafawa Balewa, Buhari, Shagari, Yaradua)
Kanuri has failed (Abacha)
Minority middle belters have failed (Gowon, IBB, Abubakir)
Yoruba has failed (Obasanjo, Shonekan, Obasanjo
Igbo Has Failed (Nnamdi Azikiwe,Aguiyi-Ironsi)
Now Ijaw is failing (Jonathan)
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by ektbear: 9:54pm On Nov 13, 2011
OBJ was not perfect (far from it), but was not a failure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by aljharem(m): 9:57pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

OBJ was not perfect (far from it), but was not a failure.

really, then abacha too was not a failure as well.

because abacha made life more comfortable for Nigerians than OBJ

also shagari

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by ektbear: 10:00pm On Nov 13, 2011
alj harem:

really, then abacha too was not a failure as well.

because abacha made life more comfortable for Nigerians than OBJ

also shagari

This is not true. And you know it. The lot of your typical Nigerian was far better in 2007 than it was in 1998. Granted, not clear how much credit OBJ should get for it.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by aljharem(m): 10:09pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

This is not true. And you know it. The lot of your typical Nigerian was far better in 2007 than it was in 1998. Granted, not clear how much credit OBJ should get for it.

1998 was not abacha

I am refering to 1996-7 during the peak of his power. Fuel prices were 11-20 naira a liter

a loaf of bread was 20 -30 naira and made living very afforable.

abacha was a very detribalised Nigerian, and mixed his government up

the issue yorubas and Abacha had was because of MKO, thus it was just a natural process not to like him.

Whereas IBB did not like abacha because abacha was no longer under him, thus he killed him.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Francis5: 10:17pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

On the one hand, Obasanjo remains the best of the failed pack in terms of performance. However, his case is worse because he had the opportunity to redeem his first failure but he again failed. That makes him the worst, overall

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by ektbear: 10:21pm On Nov 13, 2011
The greatest improvement in the life of your typical Nigerian occurred during OBJ's 8 years. Could and should he have done more? Yes. Did he fail on some major issues? Yes.

Nevertheless, he is the best president Nigeria has had so far. And in my opinion, not a failure.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by ektbear: 10:29pm On Nov 13, 2011
I wonder what Nigeria would look like today if Abacha had survived, and been ruling until 2007.

All I can do is shudder. How many lives would have been destroyed and ruined? How much potential would have gone unrealized?

Smh

Let us never compare OBJ to Abacha again, even jokingly. It isn't funny.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by aljharem(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

The greatest improvement in the life of your typical Nigerian occurred during OBJ's 8 years. Could and should he have done more? Yes. Did he fail on some major issues? Yes.

Nevertheless, he is the best president Nigeria has had so far. And in my opinion, not a failure.

Maybe so but at what cost ?

increment in a commodiaty we are bless with ?
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Francis5: 10:32pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

I wonder what Nigeria would look like today if Abacha had survived, and been ruling until 2007.

All I can do is shudder. How many lives would have been destroyed and ruined? How much potential would have gone unrealized?

Smh

Let us never compare OBJ to Abacha again, even jokingly. It isn't funny.

Both of them were murderers. Remember Odi and Zaki Biam?
Obasanjo wanted to elongate his tenure unconstitutionally. He bastardized the political system. He did quite well with the economy, though. In all, he failed because when he left, he left everything in tatters, saddling us, selfishly, with a sick Yaradua.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by dayokanu(m): 11:23pm On Nov 13, 2011
@Francis-1
Have you told us how Buhari and Yar Adua failed?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Francis5: 11:32pm On Nov 13, 2011
dayokanu:

Have you told us how Buhari and Yar Adua failed?

Buhari had two years or more to establish democracy, he failed
Yaradua promised electoral reforms, he failed to do that
His wife and supporters even failed to allow the constitution take its course by denying GEJ the position for a long time, playing politics with his health. Did he ask them to let the law take its course? No. There was no single economic development during Yaradua's time.

I can go on for both men.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by dayokanu(m): 7:22am On Nov 14, 2011
Francis-1:

Buhari had two years or more to establish democracy, he failed
Yaradua promised electoral reforms, he failed to do that
His wife and supporters even failed to allow the constitution take its course by denying GEJ the position for a long time, playing politics with his health. Did he ask them to let the law take its course? No. There was no single economic development during Yaradua's time.

I can go on for both men.

Buhari had January 1 1984 till August 27 1985 That is 2yrs or more to you right

I like the way Ironsi was blameless in your eyes even though he was the first military president

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by CyberG: 8:40am On Nov 14, 2011
Another LITTLE KID tongue tongue talking like he was there at that time and can summarily decide who failed and who did not!? LOL grin grin If you were there or not, cite your references so we can independently verify! grin grin
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by shadrach77: 11:55am On Nov 14, 2011
murtala mohammed was the best grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Johnpaul2k2(m): 12:42pm On Nov 14, 2011
shadrach77:

murtala mohammed was the best grin grin grin grin
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 14, 2011
Abacha - economic freedom, speech imprisoned

Obasanjo and the 2 civilians - Speech freed, economic depression

One Party has spent billions on sustaining darkness

You can blame everyone before Obasanjo, but

IF AFTER TWELVE YEARS, ONE PARTY HAS NOTHING TO SHOW, THEN THEY'D BETTER KEEP SHUT.

How can you say Obasanjo wasn't a failure with the resources he had(and still has.) His worst(or best?) investment is the cap wearing, no shoes, non-general, non-lion, non-David pre'acher'sident who sleeps on Aso'ebi' rock.

Is our education sector better?
Agricultural sector?
Power sector?
Even our super yeaaglets,

Mscheeewww,
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by lagcity(m): 3:14pm On Nov 14, 2011
alj harem:

1998 was not abacha

I am refering to 1996-7 during the peak of his power. Fuel prices were 11-20 naira a liter

a loaf of bread was 20 -30 naira and made living very afforable.

abacha was a very detribalised Nigerian, and mixed his government up

the issue yorubas and Abacha had was because of MKO, thus it was just a natural process not to like him.

Whereas IBB did not like abacha because abacha was no longer under him, thus he killed him.

stop comparing Apples and oranges. 30 naira was a lot of money back then and salaries were not paid to govt. workers. we had the worst fuel scarcity under Abacha and fuel station queues were miles long. ppl were blowing up becos of adulterated kerosene bought on the black market. Abacha regime remains the worst ever!
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by BootyOnMe: 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
The reason I do not waste my time on Nigerian politics.
One thing is certain from the so-called leaders.
Failure. kiss

Abeg. . . any ashawo thread to discuss?
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by denitro(m): 3:17pm On Nov 14, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are you serious or just joking with your statement?
Really! Really! Really!

OBJ's tenure
POWER - Failure - F9
ROADS/INFRASTRUCTURE - Failure - F9
CORRUPTION - Failure - F9
SECURITY - Failure - F9
STANDARD OF LIVING - Failure - F9
ELECTION RIGGING - Success - A1
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by blacksta(m): 3:18pm On Nov 14, 2011
It is not the leaders that failed , it is Nigerians on a whole. . Poster Stop dreaming
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Skii(m): 3:32pm On Nov 14, 2011
blacksta:

It is not the leaders that failed , it is Nigerians on a whole. . Poster Stop dreaming

I agree with you. They say that if the head is rotten, then the rest of the body is return.
From one rotten head rottening the body in one dispensation, we have all become rotten, to another even more rotten dispensation
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Skii(m): 3:33pm On Nov 14, 2011
*rotten not return (how did that happen?)
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Nobody: 3:35pm On Nov 14, 2011
Zoning has ended/ died. No more allowing and disallowing.

2015 is any man's game.

Personally, I dont want a SWner/ Northerner/ Fisherman as a president again.  GEJ is there, his state has gone to the dogs. when OBJ was there, he did nothing for us SWners, when a northerner left, lots of ppl died. Enough! kiss
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 4:37pm On Nov 14, 2011
Skii:

I agree with you. They say that if the head is rotten, then the rest of the body is return.
From one rotten head rottening the body in one dispensation, we have all become rotten, to another even more rotten dispensation
denitro:

Are you serious or just joking with your statement?
Really! Really! Really!

OBJ's tenure
POWER - Failure - F9
ROADS/INFRASTRUCTURE - Failure - F9
CORRUPTION - Failure - F9
SECURITY - Failure - F9
STANDARD OF LIVING - Failure - F9
ELECTION RIGGING - Success - A1

Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Nobody: 7:12pm On Nov 14, 2011
Buhari and Murtala would have been the best presidents if they were a little tolerable. Buhari was arrogant while murtala was a brute BUHARI/MURATALA - Religious freaks. Failed in their quest to islamise Nigeria. Did the best they could with the little time they had. They would have scored better if it was northern Nigeria. Score -55%

BALEWA/AZIKIWE - So-called founding fathers and would not support a dividing Nigeria till tomorrow. Failed in establishing a strong foundation for a "baby" Nigeria. They did little with the time they had, educational background, number of years in the political scene. Score - 40%

AGUIYI/SHAGARI/YAR'ADUA/SHONEKAN - Political abominations. They had no idea of what they found themselves in. Found themselves there by luck or mischief on the part of OBJ. Score - 15%

GOWON/IBB- Intelligent and diplomatic. while Gowon used his intelligence for good, Babangida used his own for Bad. Gowon saw Nigeria through the civil war but did little to show his willingness to return to civil rule. Gowon's score - 50%

IBB/ABACHA - BRUTES, GHADDAFIS, HITLERS, STALINS - Comrades-in-evil-crime-murder-arson- loots. They contributed to the negativity surrounding Nigeria today. Their names are synonymous with hate and Bad-luck in Nigeria. Enough can't be said about the wickedness of these men. Score 20%

OBJ - One of the most controversial figures not only in Nigeria but in the world. Obasanjo contributed a lot to the improvement to the country. He change the Nigerian system from parliamentary to presidential amidst other good things for the country. He also started major corruption in the country. He has both good and bad sides but his good slightly overshadows the bad. Score 65.

ABDULSALAMI - CORRUPT AND CORRUPT AND CORRUPT Score- 20%

GOODLUCK - Still early to score but not doing well at the moment.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by godman01(m): 7:14pm On Nov 14, 2011
We are getting there as a country. Stop your complains!
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by EvilBrain1(m): 7:16pm On Nov 14, 2011
You people are being unfair to Obasanjo and Buhari.

I cant claim that OBJ was a great president but he did pretty well during his first tenure. He handled the economy fairly well, wasn't particularly corrupt, and didn't overstay his welcome. And that was back when a military man handing over to civilians in Africa was a strange and novel thing. I used to say that his second comming was an epic fail, but when you compare his performance to the 2 clowns that have followed him, he he almost looks like Mahatma Ghandi.

Buhari on the other hand has been vilified for mostly political reasons. The man served as head of state between the extremely corrupt Shagari government and the extremely corrupt Babangida government, yet not even his enemies can accuse him of stealing a kobo. He was the head of the PTF whose budget rivalled that of the FG itself, but he never stole anything. Those facts alone are enough to make hima serious candidate for "Best Military Head of State in History". Plus he never showed any signs of ethnic bigotry when he was holding public office.

After watching the circus that GEJ and Yar'Adua have turned the federal government into, I  think its time for us to lower our expectations of what a good leader is. I'll take another OBJ or Buhari any day over the likes of Jonathan.
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by runsgirl: 10:58pm On Nov 14, 2011
Warri no dey carry last, so they will not fail. cheesy
Re: Nigerian Presidency And Turn-by-turn Failure by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 28, 2012
hmmm

(1) (Reply)

How Fear Of Japan Diminished Biafra – Nwokedi / BREAKING NEWS: Heavy Gunfire In Adamawa Town / Can Tambuwal Be Impeached?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.