Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,163 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:54 AM

Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted (9615 Views)

Selling My Laptop Stand For Coding, I Bought From Amazon (photo). Interested? / Do We Really Have Wizard Female Programmers In Nigeria? / Any Female Programmers In The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by MrWhy1(m): 5:58am On Nov 22, 2011
2buff:

My guy the logic is that Brazilian weave covers all faults.
Abi have you not wondered why that ish is so expensive?  grin

[size=4pt]jokes[/size]

Talk about mis-placed priorities my guy. I sit in my guy's shops in Wuse market, Abuja, and observe some of this "modern day" naija babes perambulate with all the latest different brands of you what, off hand. And I wonder, that if one/fourth of that brain is at least used for something more critical, it would radiate their inner beauty more instead of all that artificial stuff they worship to appear beautiful.  

@Inked_Nerd

Excuse me? angry

C'mon, who says Nigerian girls don't like these kind of things? I like politics and social discussions! Did it ever occur to some of you guys that because some of you all tend to assume we don't like things like politics, we don't talk to you guys about it? undecided[/font][/size]

You may be one in a billion. In fact I have been looking around for your type to hang out with to no avail. I am not trying to bash Naija girls. But this generation of our girls can be very shallow and superficial.  I admire challenging women including overtly technical ones. There is something appealing and romantic about them in the geek sense of the word.  Just that it is hard to come by.  

The first programmer was a woman named Ada. A very beautiful one indeed. I believe a woman can do anything.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by DualCore1: 6:20am On Nov 22, 2011
Programming has nothing to do with gender. A dog will write codes if it has the passion.

@widesmile,
When you ask for a review please ask for it with the hope of learning from it and improving. If someone says your site is crap, that's not being unfriendly. Only a true friend will tell you your work is crap if it really is.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Dtarmon(m): 8:48am On Nov 22, 2011
yeah we have one female programmer here @ work, it is shocking that they exist
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by oyinlolami(f): 9:15am On Nov 22, 2011
Well, i'm new in the field but hope to be a guru over the next few months, not sure if you could count me, smiley smiley smiley
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 9:23am On Nov 22, 2011
I am a woman programmer na, what was you guys talking about? smh
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by atreal: 9:33am On Nov 22, 2011
who even told you guys we are'nt exist because we don't make noise that's why they don't know female programmers are here.anyways you have just opened our mouths now thx a million guys,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Fancier(f): 9:53am On Nov 22, 2011
Princek12:

Women's brains are not created to be logical; they are created to be emotional. That is why many women don't fare well in computer science and engineering. They fare well with being counselors and other careers that requires less of a logical mind.

Youngman, watch your mouth, women are the most logical creature U can find on this planet, i sit to be corrected grin grin grin  I study both computer Engineering and Computer science, and do you know why am sitting to be corrected? cos am a Programmer [/b]here in Nigeria, working in an IT firm where i have 5 other female programmers around me. and so with my former company i left , so what are you saying

Have you heard of the  word[b] Back-end
that's what we do,  programmers are not meant to be roaming around. The truth is female programmers don't go around bragging thats the job of the marketers,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 10:00am On Nov 22, 2011
Caramba. I have never met a female programmer in NIgeria, never. . .ever. I have met female bus conductors, female touts, female okada riders. . . but NEVER EVER a female programmer.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by zeeleso(f): 11:52am On Nov 22, 2011
Princek12:

Women's brains are not created to be logical; they are created to be emotional. That is why many women don't fare well in computer science and engineering. They fare well with being counselors and other careers that requires less of a logical mind.

This is wrong on so many levels i'll rather not even start with it.

I'm a female programmer. I've been @ it for bout 3 years. I've worked with .net(c#,VB, asp.net), java. Dabbled in php, web design and all sorts.  Finally found my place in mobile. So now i'm fully java. i have an android app on the market, working on the BB version to be released soon and yeah i'm a "woman"

*dhtml:

Caramba. I have never met a female programmer in NIgeria, never. . .ever. I have met female bus conductors, female touts, female okada riders. . . but NEVER EVER a female programmer.
Hello!!. i'm zeeleso, a female programmer. I also have 3 other female programmer friends smiley
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by yemmyma: 3:34pm On Nov 22, 2011
My observation about this topic is that women are not generally much in the Computer programming industry and this is not only peculiar to Nigeria. It has just been a male dominated sector. But the truth is, any woman who tries to get into the field will almost not go hungry because there will be an emotional thing attached to her either when she is looking for work or at work. Even if she is not that good.

I live in Europe and i can tell you this same thing is presently been discussed around here. So maybe spare Nigerian women on this one.

Read for instance: http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/09/girls_get_coding_in_helsinki_2883205.html?sendtofriend=true
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 5:06pm On Nov 22, 2011
2buff:

I did say "jokes" didn't I?  kiss tongue

I knew I was gonna get one of you riled up eventually.

But anyway, the stats are the facts, we have and have always had more tech capable males than females.
And it's because (by default) one was built better for one thing and another for another. In all things, there are always exceptions however.

But not every woman can be an exception, lest it becomes a rule. and that is sooo not the case today as we see it.  grin
So Accept nature's stats,be  honest-with-reality and you'll be a happier person.  tongue

And we're talking about [b]programming [/b]not politics or whatever. Totally different subject.

One is built better than the other eh? So you were built to program computers and women were bult to do what, make babies? tongue

Princek12:

Excuse me? What the hell is that supposed to mean? Who said women don't fare well in computer science?

Mr--Why:

Talk about mis-placed priorities my guy. I sit in my guy's shops in Wuse market, Abuja, and observe some of this "modern day" naija babes perambulate with all the latest different brands of you what, off hand. And I wonder, that if one/fourth of that brain is at least used for something more critical, it would radiate their inner beauty more instead of all that artificial stuff they worship to appear beautiful.

Hmmm, how do you know those girls your looking at aren't smart? You're just judging them by their outer appearance undecided

Personally, I like to look nice just as much as the next person but it doesn't mean I don't have a brain. Looking at me, no one would assume that I'm really into sports and graphic design. Appearances aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know looks often times dictate our first impressions of people but don't be so quick to judge.

Mr--Why:

@Inked_Nerd

You may be one in a billion. In fact I have been looking around for your type to hang out with to no avail. I am not trying to bash Naija girls. But this generation of our girls can be very shallow and superficial.  I admire challenging women including overtly technical ones. There is something appealing and romantic about them in the geek sense of the word.  Just that it is hard to come by. 

The first programmer was a woman named Ada. A very beautiful one indeed. I believe a woman can do anything.

lol, I'm not one in a million. Trust me, there are loads of us. There are lots of them at my school. Generally, I've noticed that there are more of them outside of Nigeria than in Nigeria. Here's something you might not have considered, did you ever think that a lot of the Nigerian born programmers have sought greener pastures elsewhere and that's why you may not be seeing to many of them in Nigeria? Just a thought wink

I remember when I was younger, there was some girl my mom kept trying to force me to get to know. At the time, I was just a kid but when I got older, I later realized that the girl was a computer engineer. She [my mom] was hoping that the girls' work ethic and drive would rub off on me grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 6:46pm On Nov 22, 2011
^^ Cease your misyahning lest I deep-french-kiss you  tongue
I said one was built better for one thing and another for another. Not better than the other.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Bossman(m): 6:47pm On Nov 22, 2011
This is not true at all. Yes, it's a male dominated industry, but certainly not for the reasons you listed. Besides, there are loads of female developers on this end.

Princek12:

Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 8:24pm On Nov 22, 2011
2buff:

^^ Cease your misyahning lest I deep-french-kiss you  tongue
I said one was built better for one thing and another for another. Not better than the other.

Sharap! Is that your solution for every time I say something you don't like? tongue

Anyway, it's still yeye talk that's coming out your mouth grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by bakenda(m): 8:26pm On Nov 22, 2011
Have you heard of Laura Thomson?
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Sharap! Is that your solution for every time I say something you don't like? tongue

Anyway, it's still yeye talk that's coming out your mouth grin

You just want me to do it long and hard abi?  angry

Oya bring your lips join my own. I will show u today angry grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by BukiBuki(f): 9:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
Hey guys. I'm a female programmer from Nigeria. I'm in graduate school at the University of Mississippi. A few people in this thread have said that women's brains are not wired for Math and programming. That's a actually myth; please educate yourself on that. Ada Lovelace, a woman, is considered the world's first computer programmer. Google her for a few minutes; she's on wikipedia.

Anyway, to the point. I've programmed in Pascal, java, C, C++, html, php, javascript and other random languages. I've taken a class on multi-paradigm programming, though, so I can program in any language for which I know the paradigm and have a manual. I work as a graduate assistant in web development and I have been a teaching assistant for an introductory programming class.

Guys, please don't keep perpetuating ideas that are not even backed up by history or research. Just ten minutes googling and you'll know programming and mathematics (even music and linguistics, which are related fields by the way) are actually a matter of pattern recognition and symbol placement. It has nothing to do with whether one is male or female.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Kobojunkie: 9:47pm On Nov 22, 2011
^^ What graduate program are you in?
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Bossman(m): 9:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
Exactly! I have to say - some of the posts I read in these forums in general are sometimes beyond my imagination. There was one that was several pages long comparing the differences between programming and coding. What a joke! Who cares if you are called a programmer or a coder! We as Nigerians need to get away from these nonsensical titles that we believe in! We really need to google up things before posting in a forum.

PS - As a veteran in this field, I can tell you that title does not mean jack on this end. It's what you bring to the table that matters. Your title may say one thing, however, if you do not know the stuff you will be eliminated quickly.

BukiBuki:

Guys, please don't keep perpetuating ideas that are not even backed up by history or research. Just ten minutes googling and you'll know programming and mathematics (even music and linguistics, which are related fields by the way) are actually a matter of pattern recognition and symbol placement. It has nothing to do with whether one is male or female.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2011
The posts are jokes. grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 11:02pm On Nov 22, 2011
2buff:

You just want me to do it long and hard abi?  angry

Oya bring your lips join my own. I will show u today angry grin

Na wa o! shocked

Stop kissing me! tongue grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
Only if you kiss back. angry
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by lctewand(f): 11:17pm On Nov 22, 2011
its really sad the way Nigerian men put down/ bash Nigerian women,
some of the replies here are amazing,
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 11:23pm On Nov 22, 2011
lctewand:

its really sad the way Nigerian men put down/ bash Nigerian women,
some of the replies here are amazing,

Amazing? Nah, not really. It's nothing new to me, take a look at the romance section and you'll see what I mean undecided

2buff:

Only if you kiss back.  angry

No thanks. I'd rather eat a bucket of spiders grin

[size=4pt]I wish I could code your mouth shut![/size]
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Princek12(m): 11:45pm On Nov 22, 2011
Fancier:

Youngman, watch your mouth, women are the most logical creature U can find on this planet, i sit to be corrected grin grin grin  I study both computer Engineering and Computer science, and do you know why am sitting to be corrected? cos am a Programmer [/b]here in Nigeria, working in an IT firm where i have 5 other female programmers around me. and so with my former company i left , so what are you saying

Have you heard of the  word[b] Back-end
that's what we do,  programmers are not meant to be roaming around. The truth is female programmers don't go around bragging thats the job of the marketers,

zeeleso:

This is wrong on so many levels i'll rather not even start with it.

I'm a female programmer. I've been @ it for bout 3 years. I've worked with .net(c#,VB, asp.net), java. Dabbled in php, web design and all sorts.  Finally found my place in mobile. So now i'm fully java. i have an android app on the market, working on the BB version to be released soon and yeah i'm a "woman"

Hello!!. i'm zeeleso, a female programmer. I also have 3 other female programmer friends smiley

Bossman:

This is not true at all. Yes, it's a male dominated industry, but certainly not for the reasons you listed. Besides, there are loads of female developers on this end.

Maybe my statement was a little bit broad, and I am sure there are successful and competent female programmers around. Forgive me if my comment on this thread offended any female programmers.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by mxxpunkxx: 2:18am On Nov 23, 2011
@all female programmers

so where have y'all been since when omo_to_dun has been posting challenges?

just one bashing, and y'all came out of hibernation, init?
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by MrWhy1(m): 2:38am On Nov 23, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Hmmm, how do you know those girls your looking at aren't smart? You're just judging them by their outer appearance undecided

Personally, I like to look nice just as much as the next person but it doesn't mean I don't have a brain. Looking at me, no one would assume that I'm really into sports and graphic design. Appearances aren't all they're cracked up to be. I know looks often times dictate our first impressions of people but don't be so quick to judge.

lol, I'm not one in a million. Trust me, there are loads of us. There are lots of them at my school. Generally, I've noticed that there are more of them outside of Nigeria than in Nigeria. Here's something you might not have considered, did you ever think that a lot of the Nigerian born programmers have sought greener pastures elsewhere and that's why you may not be seeing to many of them in Nigeria? Just a thought wink

I remember when I was younger, there was some girl my mom kept trying to force me to get to know. At the time, I was just a kid but when I got older, I later realized that the girl was a computer engineer. She [my mom] was hoping that the girls' work ethic and drive would rub off on me grin

I am not trying to judge anybody. They may come off as supposedly elegant in appearance but when they open their mouth and talk, you will be able to see through that.  Business happens to take me far and wide. And have come across different kinds of women including foreign ones.  Our girls can do much better instead of laying too much emphasis on those shallow things. Nevertheless, we still have few that can stand the game cool.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 3:57am On Nov 23, 2011
Mr--Why:

I am not trying to judge anybody. They may come off as supposedly elegant in appearance but when they open their mouth and talk, you will be able to see through that.  Business happens to take me far and wide. And have come across different kinds of women including foreign ones.  Our girls can do much better instead of laying too much emphasis on those shallow things. Nevertheless, we still have few that can stand the game cool.

I get what you mean. I wish I could see more women in fields that were traditionally considered male dominated. With time, you'll see more of us--trust me! lol, and I know what you mean about people looking nice on the outside then you come to find out that there's nothing but air in their heads. I've had my fair share of meeting such individuals. grin
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 4:05am On Nov 23, 2011
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by Nobody: 7:54am On Nov 23, 2011
Even these onces that say they are female programmers self, i dont even believe at all. How come they dont come out to talk when we are solving problems?
ME I NO BELIEVE JOR - NO FEMALE PROGRAMMERS IN NIGERIA / NAIRALAND! I NEED PROOF.

Now, many nairalanders have met me in real life - at least more than 20 (from many boards too).
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by zeeleso(f): 9:11am On Nov 23, 2011
omo_to_dun:

I am pleading to all the female programmers on Nairaland: please, show yourselves, communicate with us, join our discourses and let us solve problems together. It is a pity that most of you are only showing up because you felt insulted. You do not need to prove yourselves to anyone because those who underestimate you will not stop to do so if you say otherwise or if you provide evidence to the contrary.

On a second thought, maybe the reason the ladies never show up is not because they are intimidated but because they think we are [i]i[/i]diots. Chei, I hope that is not the case o. grin

I for one only showed up to correct the misconception. I hardly come to NL anymore. Too little time and lots to do so apologies bt i doubt i'll be joining any discourse soon.
Re: Female Programmers Stand Up And Be Counted by InkedNerd(f): 9:26am On Nov 23, 2011
*dhtml:

Even these onces that say they are female programmers self, i dont even believe at all. How come they dont come out to talk when we are solving problems?
ME I NO BELIEVE JOR - NO FEMALE PROGRAMMERS IN NIGERIA / NAIRALAND! I NEED PROOF.

Now, many nairalanders have met me in real life - at least more than 20 (from many boards too).

Keep sticking your head in the sand tongue

omo_to_dun:

I am pleading to all the female programmers on Nairaland: please, show yourselves, communicate with us, join our discourses and let us solve problems together. It is a pity that most of you are only showing up because you felt insulted. You do not need to prove yourselves to anyone because those who underestimate you will not stop to do so if you say otherwise or if you provide evidence to the contrary.

On a second thought, maybe the reason the ladies never show up is not because they are intimidated but because they think we are [i]i[/i]diots. Chei, I hope that is not the case o. grin

lol, I'm sure its not that grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are You A Real Programmer? Can You Code With Notepad? / Nigerian Programmers Can Be Of Great Help In The 2019 General Elections. / What Is Xvideoservicethief?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.