Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,511 members, 7,812,583 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada (2823 Views)

After 7 Million Naira Savings, What Is NEXT, UK Or Canada? / Is It Really Difficult To Find A Life Partner In US Or Canada? / My Journey To Hanoi, Vietnam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:48am On Mar 15
Before I proceed, I want to add that my opinion is subjective and based on the following comparative analysis:

1. You’re traveling to Vietnam strictly to teach ESL or as a digital nomad.

Vs.

2. Traveling to the UK or Canada as a post graduate student to study and work.

Why I’m making this comparative analysis is because I was passionate about traveling to Canada for post graduate study as my Japa escape route until their government made significant changes to their policies. I had already applied to a school and paid for my transcript. However, when I made calculations and realized I could end up having to ramp up to 25 to 30 million just for a post graduate study in Canada, I immediately began to rethink my plans. Worse still, disturbing news began to emanate from Canada about post graduate students not being able to get any job at all (even low grade ones like flipping bugger) after six months of arriving! Some were battling depression as their BTA ran low.

Meanwhile, I have been considering teaching ESL in South East Asia before now. So, I decided to make it my first choice instead of Canada.

I applied to an international TEFL academy based in the United States & they linked me up with their affiliate partner in Vietnam. After completing the prerequisites in terms of payment and other requirements, the proprietor of the affiliate school in Vietnam scheduled a zoom video meeting with me. During the meeting, he was blunt and honest with me. He told me it wasn’t going to be easy to secure a good job after the training considering that first, I was a Black man and secondly, I was holding a Nigerian passport. However, he promised me that he will move mountains & do all within his power to assist me & ensure I become successful. He was so impressed that I could pay around $2000 for a one month certification inclusive of accommodation, despite coming from a low income country like Nigeria. His words of encouragement inspired me because along the line, I kept having second thoughts on what ifs— a married man with wife and kids can’t afford to make mistakes!

When I arrived at the school in Ho Chi Minh City, I realized that out of 11 trainees in my set, I was the only one from Africa and the only black as well. The rest were from United States, UK, and Australia, then one from neighboring Philippines and a Vietnamese whose husband owned a language school & needed her to get a certification. We were all lodged in a service apartment for one month, then training commenced…

6 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:59am On Mar 15
Meanwhile, I did everything myself and never used an agent. Even when I was working on my Canada post graduate study plans, I also didn’t use any agent. I’m not saying that using agent is bad, but why add to my cost when I can do it myself

The total amount I spent on my Vietnam journey was as follows:

1. $1900+ for my TESOL fee, inclusive of one month accommodation in a serviced apartment.

2. $800+ for my flight ticket via Qatar airways. I booked two months ahead and got it a little cheaper (unfortunately, I booked just one-way ticket, and it turned out a BIG MISTAKE that almost ruined my journey, I will come to that later).

3. Around $1000 in cash and $2700 in credit card.

That was all I spent money before arrival. Meanwhile, an agent told me he would process the visa for me at a cost of 2.6 million naira. A supposed 90-day E-visa I eventually applied for myself and spent just $55. Unfortunately, my credit card was debited twice in error and there is no refund for such…

So, you can calculate what it cost me to travel to Vietnam and compare with what it will cost me if it were to be Canada or UK…

First and second pictures; during the flight.

Third and fourth pictures; waiting to switch flights in Doha.

5 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:59am On Mar 15
Attached below is my room.

I will be adding other information and pictures alongside.

5 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by verminnel(f): 1:12am On Mar 15
Nice o ..I'm interested but how can one get a TEFL certification in Nigeria?
Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 1:12am On Mar 15
When we arrived Ho Chi Minh City.

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 1:14am On Mar 15
When I was trying to locate a staff from the school outside the airport terminal in Ho Chi Minh City.

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 1:17am On Mar 15
verminnel:
Nice o ..I'm interested but how can one get a TEFL certification in Nigeria?

There is a center in Lagos that offers it. You can also do it online BUT I strongly advise against both options. The best way is to do it in the country you want to teach ESL, it could be Vietnam, South Korea, Cambodia etc. The main reason why you should do it in-person, in-country is because the prospects of getting a job afterwards increases significantly.

13 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 1:31am On Mar 15
Aside the certificate you will get from the school which has become a prerequisite anyway, you will enjoy lots of fun. I have had more fun in just a few weeks after my arrival than I have had since over a year!

The Americans sure know how to maximize fun activities. We have been to clubs, bars, restaurants, karaokes etc.

The school even hosted a surprise birthday party for me! I didn’t know they took note of my birthday on the forms I filled and after class, they organized a surprise birthday for me.

My fellow trainees also took me out to a Korean restaurant in the evening. It was all fun & everyone related well with each other.

2 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:37am On Mar 15
People go to the UK and Canada not just because of education but the purpose of getting a second citizenship and more opportunities after being a citizen. You cant become a citizen in vietnam and even if you managed to hack it, vietnam has one of the worlds weakest passports on par with African countries.

You should have looked for opportunites to teach english in countries like mexico, peru, colombia where you can be a citizen and their passports are strong with multiple benefits.

18 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 2:01am On Mar 15
tensazangetsu20:
[b]People go to the UK and Canada not just because of education but the purpose of getting a second citizenship and more opportunities after being a citizen. [/b]You cant become a citizen in vietnam and even if you managed to hack it, vietnam has one of the worlds weakest passports on par with African countries.

[b]You should have looked for opportunites to teach english in countries like mexico, peru, colombia [/b]where you can be a citizen and their passports are strong with multiple benefits.

At the part I highlighted in the first paragraph, you’re quite right. Getting permanent residency in Canada is a top priority for those going there to study. However, there are also some cons with living in Canada or some other developed countries. The frenetic work pace and working more shifts to keep pace with living standards doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Teaching English in those Latin American countries you listed can’t be compared with South East Asia. It’s never as lucrative in terms of salary, acceptance by the locals and other economic prospects like export of goods. Also, the cost of living in South East Asia, particularly Vietnam is quite low yet you get high value for your money. You can get a nice furnished one room for just $200 monthly. Internet is cheap and most public places have free Wi-Fi. Food is dirt cheap and so is transportation. Yet you earn higher than those in Latin America.

Being a teacher with experience and having the certifications can open doors to other countries as well. I don’t even intend to stay in Vietnam for long, it’s a periodic adventure for me.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by verminnel(f): 2:06am On Mar 15
NaijaVietnamese:

There is a center in Lagos that offers it. You can also do it online BUT I strongly advise against both options.pi The best way is to do it in the country you want to teach ESL, it could be Vietnam, South Korea, Cambodia etc. The main reason why you should do it in-person, in-country is because the prospects of getting a job afterwards increases significantly.
thanks a lot..but if I want to follow up with this now is getting a vietnamese visa difficult

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by Bongadu: 2:37am On Mar 15
Vietnam has the death sentence if you try nonsense

1 Share

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by Martinsmine(m): 3:40am On Mar 15
Op.. dis update Sharp

4 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by samuel19222(m): 4:10am On Mar 15
nice one

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by Ronaldoguy: 4:18am On Mar 15
I am sure u are a travel agent looking for victims, we know ur style. Justwise should delete this thread asapp. Why do u want to mislead ur country men. Foolish people will believe that Vietnam is better for an economic refugee than Canada/ US/UK like that.....dey play grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by hammed71(m): 5:59am On Mar 15
Ronaldoguy:
I am sure u are a travel agent looking for victims, we know ur style. Justwise should delete this thread asapp. Why do u want to mislead ur country men. Foolish people will believe that Vietnam is better for an economic refugee than Canada/ US/UK like that.....dey play grin
lol
Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 6:34am On Mar 15
Ronaldoguy:

Is this willful ignorance or just tomfoolery?

Anyways, you need to read again to understand what the post is all about. To help you, I specifically mentioned Nigerians going to do ESL teaching or digital nomad! Anything aside that might be suicidal for Nigerians in Vietnam.

I have seen lots of Nigerians who are stranded here and they were probably deceived by agents. You will see some of them hanging around some African restaurants that are owned by Igbos. They usually beg me for money whenever I go to eat and I give them if I have.

You can do menial jobs in advanced countries and still make money for investments back home. They have hard currency and they lack citizens to do those undesirable jobs, unlike developing countries where there are enough citizens ready to do such menial jobs.

Be guided!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 6:38am On Mar 15
verminnel:
thanks a lot..but if I want to follow up with this now is getting a vietnamese visa difficult

No, I don’t think getting a Vietnamese visa is difficult. You can easily apply online for the 90-day E-visa. But you need to have a back up link.

Your priority is how to maximize that 90-day allowance so you could get a job and the accompanying work visa. Otherwise, you would have to do a visa run to the neighboring countries and return again. It can be costly and stressful as well.

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by aieromon(m): 8:34am On Mar 15
NaijaVietnamese:
He told me it wasn’t going to be easy to secure a good job after the training considering that first, I was black and secondly, I was holding a Nigerian passport. However, he was promising me that he will move mountains & do all within his power to assist me & ensure I become successful. He was so impressed that I could pay around $2000 for a one month certification inclusive of accommodation, despite coming from a low income country like Nigeria. His words of encouragement inspired me because along the line, I kept having second thoughts on what ifs— a married man with wife and kids can’t afford to make mistakes!

When I arrived at the school in Ho Chi Minh City, I realized that out of 11 trainees in my set, I was the only one from Africa and the only black as well. The rest were from United States, UK, and Australia, then one from neighboring Philippines and a Vietnamese whose husband owned a language school & needed her to get a certification. We were all lodged in a service apartment for one month, then training commenced

This is a new account opened by an old user.
Shine your eyes!
Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by emandman: 9:02am On Mar 15
NaijaVietnamese:

No, I don’t think getting a Vietnamese visa is difficult. You can easily apply online for the 90-day E-visa. But you need to have a back up link.

Your priority is how to maximize that 90-day allowance so you could get a job and the accompanying work visa. Otherwise, you would have to do a visa run to the neighboring countries and return again. It can be costly and stressful as well.
Lol 😂 oshey eyan Maximiliano Pellegrini. Please no one should try this nonsense this guy is saying.

3 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by verminnel(f): 9:06am On Mar 15
Why are you guys attacking the guy? He is just trying to help

5 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by emandman: 9:44am On Mar 15
verminnel:
Someone opened account today, created a topic to "help" today and you are already following him. On what basis are you following him? Do you know him? Are you him?
Your fakeness is easy to spot but I decided to reply cos a lot of people may innocently follow his lead.

2 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by fidelmarshal199: 9:59am On Mar 15
verminnel:

The Op should just ignore them, They are frustrated and bitter, and they will keep coming

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by fidelmarshal199: 10:04am On Mar 15
emandman:

Someone opened account today, created a topic to "help" today and you are already following him. On what basis are you following him? Do you know him? Are you him?
Your fakeness is easy to spot but I decided to reply cos a lot of people may innocently follow his lead.

You are just too du*b, if you think it's a scam why Nat wait for Op to name his price before you attack him, From all I've read here on this thread is all about doing it yourself, so where is the scam in that?

I advise you channel your frustration to the right path

11 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by verminnel(f): 11:02am On Mar 15
emandman:

my fakeness?? Wow!! If I choose to follow him why are you so pained and bitter about it? Please please please channel your frustration elsewhere angry goat!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by verminnel(f): 11:07am On Mar 15
fidelmarshal199:

You are just too du*b, if you think it's a scam why Nat wait for Op to name his price before you attack him, From all I've read here on this thread is all about doing it yourself, so where is the scam in that?

I advise you channel your frustration to the right path
I just tire. As if he has a personal beef with the o.p or me that chose to follow the topic

3 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by KashApp: 11:18am On Mar 15
I will like to visit this country
Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:31pm On Mar 15
For those that might be interested in teaching ESL in Vietnam, below are the prerequisites you must have in place:

1. A university degree.
2. IELTS (with a minimum score of band 7).
3. A TESOL or CELTA certification.
4. Police clearance.

In addition to all that, you should be able to speak and write English fluently.

I’m surprised that there seem to be more South Africans and even Ghanaians working as ESL teachers in South East Asia than Nigerians, despite our huge population and English being our Lingua Franca.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:35pm On Mar 15
KashApp:
I will like to visit this country

Honestly, there are many reasons why Vietnam is a beautiful country to visit. They love foreigners and are always friendly and helpful.

They get excited whenever they see Black person and try to get into conversation with you, especially if you smile back at them. Most of them speak little or no English. But it doesn’t stop them from saying hello.

The cost of living here is very cheap and that’s why lots of Westerners are going there to enjoy themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by Entanglement: 12:36pm On Mar 15
NaijaVietnamese:
Before I proceed, I want to add that my opinion is subjective and based on the following comparative analysis:

1. You’re traveling to Vietnam strictly to teach ESL or as a digital nomad.

Vs.

2. Traveling to the UK or Canada as a post graduate student to study and work.

Why I’m making this comparative analysis is because I was passionate about traveling to Canada for post graduate study as my Japa escape route until their government made significant changes to their policies. I had already applied to a school and paid for my transcript. However, when I made calculations and realized I could end up having to ramp up to 25 to 30 million just for a post graduate study in Canada, I immediately began to rethink my plans. Worse still, disturbing news began to emanate from Canada about post graduate students not being able to get any job at all (even low grade ones like flipping bugger) after six months of arriving! Some were battling depression as their BTA ran low.

Meanwhile, I have been considering teaching ESL in South East Asia before now. So, I decided to make it my first choice instead of Canada.

I applied to an international TEFL academy based in the United States & they linked me up with their affiliate partner in Vietnam. After completing the prerequisites in terms of payment and other requirements, the proprietor of the affiliate school in Vietnam scheduled a zoom video meeting with me. During the meeting, he was blunt and honest with me. He told me it wasn’t going to be easy to secure a good job after the training considering that first, I was black and secondly, I was holding a Nigerian passport. However, he was promising me that he will move mountains & do all within his power to assist me & ensure I become successful. He was so impressed that I could pay around $2000 for a one month certification inclusive of accommodation, despite coming from a low income country like Nigeria. His words of encouragement inspired me because along the line, I kept having second thoughts on what ifs— a married man with wife and kids can’t afford to make mistakes!

When I arrived at the school in Ho Chi Minh City, I realized that out of 11 trainees in my set, I was the only one from Africa and the only black as well. The rest were from United States, UK, and Australia, then one from neighboring Philippines and a Vietnamese whose husband owned a language school & needed her to get a certification. We were all lodged in a service apartment for one month, then training commenced…
travel agent spotted!

Only a fool will fall prey into your scam activities

1 Like

Re: Why Traveling To Vietnam Might Be Better Than UK Or Canada by NaijaVietnamese: 12:39pm On Mar 15
NaijaVietnamese:
For those that might be interested in teaching ESL in Vietnam, below are the prerequisites you must have in place:

1. A university degree.
2. IELTS (with a minimum score of band 7).
3. A TESOL or CELTA certification.
4. Police clearance.

In addition to all that, you should be able to speak and write English fluently.

I’m surprised that there seem to be more South Africans and even Ghanaians working as ESL teachers in South East Asia than Nigerians, despite our huge population and English being our Lingua Franca.

For those who do not possess a degree, you should consider going to Cambodia. They still accept ESL teachers without degree. However, Vietnam has become a lot more strict.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any Nigerian Living In VT / Paragraph 104 Of British Immigration Rules, Another Opportunity To Work In Uk / Welcome To Nigeria-lagos The City Of Excellence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.