Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? (951 Views)

10 States In Nigeria With Bigger Economy Than Some African Countries-Osibanjo / Samuel Ortom: Nigeria’s Worst Military Govt Better Than Buhari Administration / Buhari’s Minister Of Defence Served In Abacha Govt, Backed June 12 Annulment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 5:59am On Mar 17
ibechris:
During his regime,he never owed workers especially teachers.

He took power when the inflation was at 54% that both Babangida and Ernest Shonekan left it from 1993 to 8% in 1998 when Abdulasami took over from him.

Why was Abacha excellent in handling the economy than most of our civilian leaders today?

Let us discuss.

If you want an unbiased view of abacha regime check the article: Remember abacha and reject poverty by cheta nwanze

Link here
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 6:01am On Mar 17
Jogs1900:

Abacha was a disciplined soldier..He wasn't a weakling..He ruled with decree...During military regime, nothing like human right..You cant use the court.to delay or circumvent justice..Yes...He sabi that soldier work very well....Imagine all these politicians that are always using court to delay justice in corruption cases...If it was during Abacha, the 70bn efcc accused Yahaya Bello of embezzling would have been returned to the govt coffers or he risks being imprisoned for life.I know some bank executives that were jailed for currency raketering during Abachas era.

If you want a real view of the abacha regime read this article
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by jaxin119: 8:01am On Mar 17
LaRosa01:

the money abroad was a covert operation,back then when Nigerians Intel agency use to work,the money where kept under Nigerians in the diaspora for Nigeria in the event we went under international sanctions we had money out to maintain international trade.alot of senior officers know this and traditional rules,they know because Abacha told them.yet I was surpise when the western countries turned it into Abacha loot.my father served under Abacha so I know,and he told me Nigeria always hate people who fight for them and love people who sell them out

You are very right. The intelligent community knows that there's nothing like Abacha loot. I think the west bullied our government to accept that notion and to further make Abacha look bad

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 8:33am On Mar 17
jaxin119:

You are very right. The intelligent community knows that there's nothing like Abacha loot. I think the west bullied our government to accept that notion and to further make Abacha look bad

Lol.

There was abacha loot.

The fact is, the man looted the country. Very much so.

It's because many of you were too young to have known what it was like that you think abacha time was good

Forget westerners. The man looted. He even went and hid his money in the land of the west self.

Yes, it does not excuse the bad leadership we have now
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 8:33am On Mar 17
LaRosa01:

the money abroad was a covert operation,back then when Nigerians Intel agency use to work,the money where kept under Nigerians in the diaspora for Nigeria in the event we went under international sanctions we had money out to maintain international trade.alot of senior officers know this and traditional rules,they know because Abacha told them.yet I was surpise when the western countries turned it into Abacha loot.my father served under Abacha so I know,and he told me Nigeria always hate people who fight for them and love people who sell them out

See how Nigerians excuse evil.

At the end that is why you people never get good government.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Goodnewsforlife: 10:35am On Mar 17
Sannisege:
Under Abacha, Nigerians were cooking with saw dusts called Abacha stove. All these low-lives that have no single sense of history opening thread up and down.
many of them were in d womb then
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by SupremeSpecimen: 11:17am On Mar 17
Because he gave his looted funds to igbo bank managers n business men to invest
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by LaRosa01: 11:38am On Mar 17
If I check you were not born then,you go just open mouth

nairalanda1:

See how Nigerians excuse evil.

At the end that is why you people never get good government.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by jaxin119: 11:43am On Mar 17
nairalanda1:

Lol.

There was abacha loot.

The fact is, the man looted the country. Very much so.

It's [s]because many of you were too young to have known what it was like that you think abacha time was good[/s]

Forget westerners. The man looted. He even went and hid his money in the land of the west self.

Yes, it does not excuse the bad leadership we have now

How some of you young people assume everyone is within you age bracket beats me.

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 12:46pm On Mar 17
jaxin119:

How some of you young people assume everyone is within you age bracket beats me.

How some of you justify evil...it's no surprise we got bad leaders since independence.

Anyway,enjoy your bad leadership
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 12:46pm On Mar 17
LaRosa01:

Actually, I was born long before then, son.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 12:51pm On Mar 17
LaRosa01:

I was there. I can even tell you how bad things were

Look o, Nigeria has never had good leaders because all of them ran resource dependent economies. Abacha was a good example. At the end of the day, the economy was worse than when he took over.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by TheElites19s: 1:08pm On Mar 17
ibechris:

He took power when the inflation was at 54% that both Babangida and Ernest Shonekan left it from 1993 to 8% in 1998 when Abdulasami took over from him.

Why was Abacha excellent in handling the economy than most of our civilian leaders today?

Let us discuss.
please is better you keep shot if you don't know what happened under Abacha

Abacha didn't even pay salary of civil servants than, my parents work with federal government.

Life was like hell under Abacha for average Nigerian, apart from those uniforms men or people that are closer to them are those that enjoy Abacha government

Common kerosene an average Nigerian can't buy under him

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by slimfit1(m): 1:19pm On Mar 17
Because Abacha made sure that people buy made in Nigeria product he use 305 as an official vehicle. Dont forget that there was alot sanctions. But still managed to do somethings that these idiots can't manage to fix till today. Abacha paved way for the GSM we are using today.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by LaRosa01: 1:24pm On Mar 17
you were there? no you where not.how much was a dollar in abachas time,what was the inflation rate?how much did we borrow?how safe was nigeria in Abacha's time?how was the economy?what was the price of fuel?how many time did either fuel price or dollar go up,how respected was nigeria in Africa and the world,how many countries did Nigerian soldiers liberate in Abacha time?

nairalanda1:

I was there. I can even tell you how bad things were

Look o, Nigeria has never had good leaders because all of them ran resource dependent economies. Abacha was a good example. At the end of the day, the economy was worse than when he took over.

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Splashme: 1:30pm On Mar 17
Abacha was not a tribalist.

Both Buhari and Thiefņubu are disgusting tribalists.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 1:58pm On Mar 17
LaRosa01:
you were there? no you where not.how much was a dollar in abachas time,what was the inflation rate?how much did we borrow?how safe was nigeria in Abacha's time?how was the economy?what was the price of fuel?how many time did either fuel price or dollar go up,how respected was nigeria in Africa and the world,how many countries did Nigerian soldiers liberate in Abacha time?

I am not going to answer your question because you are looking at things from today's perspective not as.at.when they were.

Too many missionaries too few heathens

But if you insist...

Here is something from a neutral...

Remember Abacha and reject poverty
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 2:14pm On Mar 17
The funny thing is that many people look at the N21 to one dollar, look at the N11 fuel, and look at how bad it is today, and start wishing it was like that under the day of Abacha

Well, people's incomes under Abacha were worse. As at 1996, a university professor was earning something like N6000 monthly. Some lecturers were earning like N1000 Monthly. That is why ASUU was going on strike back under Abacha. Even the thing called hospitals were in a bad state, economy was in a bad state, power supply was terrible, and so on.

And Abacha left our reserves at 3.7 billion dollars, while he had comfortably looted 4 billion dollars...self.

But for me, Abacha was just like most if not all Nigerian leaders....he kept our economy on oil. Not on innovation, industries, etc..oil.

Even that N21 to one dollar was offical rate. ON parralell rate, it was N57 at 1993 and went up to N81 at 1998. Of course, the ususal round tripping was on course.

Need I add that the refineries were getting worse. And our GDP was around 260 dollars per capita? (Lol, it even makes Buhari and tinubu look like good leaders, with gdp around 2000 or more dollars per capita.)

Honestly, at the end, Abacha was just as bad for me as tinubu, buhari , gej and all of them are bad for me (I exclude Ironsi and Muritala Muhammed, because they were in office for 6 months respectively. Ditto Shonekan. Ironsi did do some political damage, but not economic)...because at the end of the day, they KEPT OUR ECONOMY RESOURCE DEPENDENT. And if you want to understand why our economy is a mess...RESOURCE DEPENDENCY, AKA DUTCH DISEASE...is the reason why,

1 Like

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by grandstar(m): 2:21pm On Mar 17
ibechris:

Let us discuss.

The truth about Abacha is that he could have done much better if he wasn't so kleptocratic and did not want to hold on to power Also, he did not have the well being of the citizens at heart.

Yes, he was fiscally "disciplined." Well, the truth is in the details.

One, workers were grossly underpaid. Salaries were around 1,200 or so. Using an exchange rate of N80 to a $1, that was $15. Also, inflation might have been low because government spending was very low.

There were also 2 exchange rates. Spending was generally calculated at $1-N22 while revenue was calculated largely l at 80 to $1. This was legalized daylight robbery. I suspect this was the conduit used to fleece the country of billions of dollars.

Nevertheless, his fiscal discipline was a breath of fresh air from the excessive fiscal rascality that tainted Babangida's rule.

Civilians rule is different from a dictatorship. A dictator can make and implement policies without consulting with the congress or carrying the people along.

Civilian rule has to many checks and balances and interest groups to please before legislation or policies can be implemented. It is top heavy.

Nonetheless, the most fiscally prudent era of democratic rule which was OBJ's second term saw the paying off of $30bn of the nation's debt, accumulation of $20bn in the Excess Crude Account. That beats Abachas stint in power hands down

In addition, from 1999-2014, economic growth averaged 6%, compared to the less than 3% during Abachas rule. So, the PDP years beat Abacha despite the heavy structures that way democracies down.

I just reread your question.

Buhari messed the economy. He was a total disaster. I had already written off his government within his 30 days in office.

Tinubu simply inherited Buharis mess. Even Charles Soludo, an opposition governor and a renowned economist empathized with him.

Imagine spending over 100% of government revenue on debt servicing? That means there's virtually nothing left to spend.

Anyways, Tinubu has made things worse by appointing the wrong person for the CBN job and also meddling in the autonomy of the central bank by telling it what to do.

The prime reason why inflation has been high lately and the Naira tanking is because Tinubu wants interest rates low. In Nigerias high inflation environment, higher interest rates are a must. Tinubu has said severally he wants interest rates low. The CBN is therefore forced to please the president against the greater good of the economy.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by Svoboda(m): 3:07pm On Mar 17
adikings22:
This OP is an Hypocrite! He decided to mention Tinubu and Buhari in the headline and now said 'most of' in the write up itself.

To set the records straight, Abacha's reign in Nigeria is far better than any of the democratically elected President, including OBJ. For all the 5-6 years Abacha ruled, do you know that dollar stood at N21.8? It was very stable there meaning Nigeria economy under Abacha was quite stable.

Meanwhile, Obasanjo met it at that same N21.8 in 1999 and by year 2020, it was already N89, almost 400% devaluation.

See, let me tell you something, OBJ laid the foundation for the bad economy of Nigeria. That's just it.

Thank you sir. Everything got destroyed when obj began to prostitute nigeria to the west. He began to carry out neoliberalism policies, just to massage the egos of the western controlled Bretton woods.

Obj promoted Corruption into the system and made it so official.

The less said, the better.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by LaRosa01: 3:22pm On Mar 17
a hit job written in 2019 about a man who left power 1998 and you want to call that an introspect of his time in power ,please save us the bull shit.like I said you were either not around when he ruled or you where too small to know anything,the only government that can come a little close to Abacha government in terms of success for Nigeria is yaradu and that is why they killed him quick.in abachas time everybody respected Nigeria the whole world,you dont Bleep with Nigeria and get away with it.
nairalanda1:

I am not going to answer your question because you are looking at things from today's perspective not as.at.when they were.

Too many missionaries too few heathens

But if you insist...

Here is something from a neutral...

Remember Abacha and reject poverty
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 17
LaRosa01:
a hit job written in 2019 about a man who left power 1998 and you want to call that an introspect of his time in power ,please save us the bull shit.like I said you were either not around when he ruled or you where too small to know anything,the only government that can come a little close to Abacha government in terms of success for Nigeria is yaradu and that is why they killed him quick.in abachas time everybody respected Nigeria the whole world,you dont Bleep with Nigeria and get away with it.

OK o. I have tried. cheesy
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by jaxin119: 4:50pm On Mar 17
nairalanda1:

How some of you justify evil...it's no surprise we got bad leaders since independence.

Anyway,enjoy your bad leadership

Warped and infantile sense of reasoning and drawing conclusions.
Re: Why Was Abacha's Govt Better at Handling The economy than Tinubu And Buhari? by nairalanda1(m): 5:22pm On Mar 17
jaxin119:

Warped and infantile sense of reasoning and drawing conclusions.

Yes, and you obviously haven't lived under a dictatorship.

Oga , you guys should stop settling for second best. Abacha or tinubu.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Africas Barometer / Anambra: Result Without Election / Who Killed Alan Jonston?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.