Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,292 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:26 AM

Full List Of Past Olubadans - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Full List Of Past Olubadans (17527 Views)

Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Should The Statues Of Past Slave Traders In Nigeria Be Pulled Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by humberjade: 12:55pm On Mar 16
alingo2013:
OMO THEY DONT LIVE LONG ON THE THORN IT IS A CUSE

No, it's not. They die on the throne because by the time it's each person's turn, he is already in his late 70s or early 80s, and this is as a result of the hierarchical structure they use in installing a new King.

5 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Eriokanmi: 12:58pm On Mar 16
manikspears:

So they use a ranking system rather than lineage or inheritance. That is nice. But what qualifies you to be a mogaji? Do you have to do something special?
Firstly, you must be an Ibadan indigene to qualify as a mogaji.

Yorubas ways of doing things is a proof we don't really need western system of leadership to progress as a nation. We had our own system of government before the colonialists came.
A mogaji is like a wards Councillor in Ibadan. There are otun olubadan, osi olubadan, Balogun, etc along the ladder...similar to the president, vice, senate president, etc as we have today

7 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Ashirioluwa: 1:03pm On Mar 16
kolaaderin:
Max anyone has been king in Ibadan is 15years.

Are you saying that the list posted by @enemyofprogress is wrong because on the list we saw that one olubadan reigned for 16 years?

“(16 Years): Olubadan Okunola Abaasi Alesinloye Isale Ijebu – 1930-1946”

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by livebullet(m): 1:04pm On Mar 16
alingo2013:

This is one of the many Nigerians pastors have infested their brains.

6 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Olaolex: 1:07pm On Mar 16
kolaaderin:
16 years sir

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Segzy19: 1:08pm On Mar 16
Number 24 spent 16 years....

kolaaderin:

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Biodun556(m): 1:10pm On Mar 16
manikspears:

This is deep those that mean anyone who accends to the throne has less than 20 years to live?

They usually get very old before they reach olubadan status dew to long queue

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by friday2011(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 2 months, when traditional tools are politicised or given to the highest bidders, this is what you get. There demise is not natural.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by friday2011(m): 1:25pm On Mar 16
Segzy19:
Number 24 spent 16 years....

There was a 16year reign
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by ivolt: 1:29pm On Mar 16
alingo2013:
Yeah, it is a curse to live an average of 80 years on the throne.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by ivolt: 1:30pm On Mar 16
friday2011:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw 2 months, when traditional tools are politicised or given to the highest bidders, this is what you get. There demise is not natural.
So an 80 year old man dying is unnatural to you?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by foleskay(m): 1:31pm On Mar 16
tiswell:
How does this news or information affect non Yorubas?

You're a big mumu. Did any one force u to open d thread and comment?? We have many news on front page u can choose to open. Non Yoruba kee u there. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Holluwhakemmy(f): 1:34pm On Mar 16
kolaaderin:
Okunola Abasi Alesinloye was 16years

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by pfadom: 1:39pm On Mar 16
Olubadan Okunola Abaasi Alesinloye Isale Ijebu who ruled from 1930-1946 for 16 Years was the longest serving Olubadan.

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by fmlala: 1:43pm On Mar 16
manikspears:

This is deep those that mean anyone who accends to the throne has less than 20 years to live?

Anyone above 70 years in age should know he/she is nearing the grave already. That is the law of nature.

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by friday2011(m): 1:44pm On Mar 16
ivolt:

So an 80 year old man dying is unnatural to you?

I think I was wrong with my opinion, later got some infos about there system of appointment, they are not likely to stay long on the throne because of there age.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by mrsiso(m): 1:46pm On Mar 16
kolaaderin:

Number 24 ruled for 16 years, even with expo you still Lulè!!!

Shaking my head for you.

3 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Spandau: 1:51pm On Mar 16
DAVIDELUXED:
i heard the cooronatiion oof olubadans involves blood sacrifices how long can african sustain this barbaric practise
Don't base your life on hearsay.

3 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by adioolayi(m): 1:52pm On Mar 16
What a beautiful system...

See the way every nooks and crannies of Ibadan has produced Olubadan...

Almost every core Ibadan Area has produced Olubadan...

No Stress!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by gaskiyamagana: 1:53pm On Mar 16
StOla:
In responding to a post that appreciated the hierarchical system that has over many years been employed by Ibadan to determine the Olubadan succession, I asserted that it was not a real royal stool but a Baale system - wasn't that even very obvious going by the method of succession where any one who has been appointed a chief of Ibadan becomes part of the succession line?

In a Baale system, there is nothing like royal family or royal blood. The oldest chief takes over and the cycle continue. Nothing is inherited by any royal blood as it does not exist.

So I repeat that the Olubadan is not a real royal stool. It is a system of government of its own by a governing aristocracy that does not hold hereditary titles or previledges, and the most senior member of this governing aristocracy not by age but by membership in the aristocracy, become the next in line for succession.

Some ignorant fellows quoted me to cuss and insult. A few quoted and showed they were quite informed about this origin of Ibadan

I did not respond to any of them.

For the ignorant ones, I hope this topic which is not even from me, would inadvertently show them they are ignorant.

Among the first 23 Rulers, many had the title Baale being dominant up till 1930.

The Olubadan appellation only came up from 1930.
Story, supper story, moonlight story.
We known you and your types here and there.
Bad belly, jealous, envious and saddest people over the glorious, honourable and supremacy of Ibadan land in Yoruba cultural and political settings of Nigeria.
Baale or Oba, IBADAN IS NOT AND NEVER MATE OF YOU AND OTHER ENEMIES' ANCESTORS.

6 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by olaniyilukman(m): 1:56pm On Mar 16
manikspears:

So they use a ranking system rather than lineage or inheritance. That is nice. But what qualifies you to be a mogaji? Do you have to do something special?
Nothing special, but you just have to be nominated by your family compound to represent them at Olubadan palace

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by gaskiyamagana: 1:58pm On Mar 16
friday2011:
Hot sun don hit brain of dis wan in Lagos traffic gala Chin chin hawking.

3 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by adioolayi(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16
StOla:

In a Baale system, there is nothing like royal family or royal blood. The oldest chief takes over and the cycle continue is inherited by any royal blood as it does not exist.

So I repeat that the Olubadan is not a real royal stool. It is

Firstly, Ibadan was originally a War Camp by Various Yoruba Warriors...and so, there is no real leader among these warriors.

It is in their wisdom to make every sons of Ibadan a Royal Blood. In other words, every son of Ibadan is entitled to the throne.

Because a family or some families have decided to be the ruling class of a community and the people agreed to that kind of arrangement doesn't make their stool superior to this system.

In Ibadan Land ..every son is a royal blood!

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by dlaw70(m): 2:05pm On Mar 16
kolaaderin:
16 years rather .
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by youngrichnigga: 2:06pm On Mar 16
Very good succession system prevents unnecessary avaricious practices and ensures the oba elect focuses on governance as he has limited time to spend on the throne considering the advanced age you get to before ascending the throne as well as the wait period undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by StOla: 2:11pm On Mar 16
adioolayi:

Firstly, Ibadan was originally a War Camp by Various Yoruba Warriors...and so, there is no real leader among these warriors.

It is in their wisdom to make every sons of Ibadan a Royal Blood. In other words, every son of Ibadan is entitled to the throne.

Because a family or some families have decided to be the ruling class of a community and the people agreed to that kind of arrangement doesn't make their stool superior to this system.

In Ibadan Land ..every son is a royal blood!

You are still asserting the same thing with me.

Where everyone is royalty, it means there is no royalty distinctive from the general population.

Yes there is a ruling aristocracy which are the chiefs, but everyone has equal rights to become part of that aristocracy.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Shikena(m): 2:14pm On Mar 16
grin grin Baba don vex. History na your mate.

gaskiyamagana:

Story, supper story, moonlight story.
We known you and your types here and there.
Bad belly, jealous, envious and saddest people over the glorious, honourable and supremacy of Ibadan land in Yoruba cultural and political settings of Nigeria.
Baale or Oba, IBADAN IS NOT AND NEVER MATE OF YOU AND OTHER ENEMIES' ANCESTORS.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Judolisco(m): 2:24pm On Mar 16
Twoclans:
I am curious to know what happened to those that stayed for a few months .Maybe I will make out time and go and read this history .
small kids don't become king in ibadan...

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by teebillz: 2:24pm On Mar 16
kestolove95:
For you to last on that seat... You hv to be a Don ND cook ursef very well... No b child play like obi of Onitsha

It is hard to last on a throne in which the succession arrangement makes it difficult for anyone to ascend the throne at a younger age. It has more to do age with age than any of the things you're suggesting. This is just common sense. Take King Charles for example, do you think he can attain half of his mother's reign?

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Judolisco(m): 2:35pm On Mar 16
StOla:
In responding to a post that appreciated the hierarchical system that has over many years been employed by Ibadan to determine the Olubadan succession, I asserted that it was not a real royal stool but a Baale system - wasn't that even very obvious going by the method of succession where any one who has been appointed a chief of Ibadan becomes part of the succession line?

In a Baale system, there is nothing like royal family or royal blood. The oldest chief takes over and the cycle continue. Nothing is inherited by any royal blood as it does not exist.

So I repeat that the Olubadan is not a real royal stool. It is a system of government of its own by a governing aristocracy that does not hold hereditary titles or previledges, and the most senior member of this governing aristocracy not by age but by membership in the aristocracy, become the next in line for succession.

Some ignorant fellows quoted me to cuss and insult. A few quoted and showed they were quite informed about this origin of Ibadan

I did not respond to any of them.

For the ignorant ones, I hope this topic which is not even from me, would inadvertently show them they are ignorant.

Among the first 23 Rulers, many had the title Baale being dominant up till 1930.

The Olubadan appellation only came up from 1930.
you should have said its not a mornach system of government.... Dis type of governance is practiced in my okun hometown in kogi state.... We have many royal homes, up to 12 or 16 and power is rotated amongst them.... We don't even have one palace... Each royal family has its own palace... And the funny thing is we also use OLU

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Honestey: 2:48pm On Mar 16
Two months Oba, haba! And the longest reign is 16?
That's what I call coronation of exit point

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Basic123: 3:02pm On Mar 16
Kingpele:
How does this news affect the cost of living of Nigerian citizens

You need a psychiatrist review ASAP

Google "Targentiality" in psychiatry.

That is what you just exhibited!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.