Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,581 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:04 PM

Full List Of Past Olubadans - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Full List Of Past Olubadans (17531 Views)

Music, Dance: What Gave Fulani Youths Joy In The Past (Video, Pictures) / Meet Baba Kekere Of Oyo Kingdom Who Served 3 Past Alaafins For 77 Years / Should The Statues Of Past Slave Traders In Nigeria Be Pulled Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Sleekfingers: 3:04pm On Mar 16
DAVIDELUXED:
i heard the cooronatiion oof olubadans involves blood sacrifices how long can african sustain this barbaric practise

What's barbaric about blood sacrifice? They must kill goats, chickens, dogs for ogun, ducks , pigeons, catfish . So what's wrong with that?

3 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by CluelessMODS: 3:04pm On Mar 16
tiswell:
How does this news or information affect non Yorubas?

If you are not Yoruba what are you doing here?

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by CluelessMODS: 3:05pm On Mar 16
Sleekfingers:

What's barbaric about blood sacrifice? They must kill goats, chickens, dogs for ogun, ducks , pigeons, catfish . So what's wrong with that?
Don't mind the dullard he probably thinks they use human blood.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by jojothaiv(m): 3:15pm On Mar 16
.....since Yoruba took over the territory in 1820.....

That's my problem with history, matters no really dey clear.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Sleekfingers: 3:30pm On Mar 16
CluelessMODS:

Don't mind the dullard he probably thinks they use human blood.

I tire oooo
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by enemyofprogress: 3:32pm On Mar 16
[sup][/sup]
tiswell:
How does this news or information affect non Yorubas?

who forced you to open the thread? When you're tired you'll get out of here and join your brothers outside.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by mkoabiola: 3:45pm On Mar 16
The highest is 10 years.

Lekan balogun was sick bf he ascend the throne

Jus 2 years
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by excanny: 3:49pm On Mar 16
StOla:
In responding to a post that appreciated the hierarchical system that has over many years been employed by Ibadan to determine the Olubadan succession, I asserted that it was not a real royal stool but a Baale system - wasn't that even very obvious going by the method of succession where any one who has been appointed a chief of Ibadan becomes part of the succession line?

In a Baale system, there is nothing like royal family or royal blood. The oldest chief takes over and the cycle continue. Nothing is inherited by any royal blood as it does not exist.

So I repeat that the Olubadan is not a real royal stool. It is a system of government of its own by a governing aristocracy that does not hold hereditary titles or previledges, and the most senior member of this governing aristocracy not by age but by membership in the aristocracy, become the next in line for succession.

Some ignorant fellows quoted me to cuss and insult. A few quoted and showed they were quite informed about this origin of Ibadan

I did not respond to any of them.

For the ignorant ones, I hope this topic which is not even from me, would inadvertently show them they are ignorant.

Among the first 23 Rulers, many had the title Baale being dominant up till 1930.

The Olubadan appellation only came up from 1930.

A baale system that resolves leadership smoothly is better than a hereditary system that's full of fightings to get a new leadership.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Pat081: 3:52pm On Mar 16
Twoclans:
I am curious to know what happened to those who stayed for a few months. Maybe I will make out time and go and read this history.
Because they become kings in old age
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by LoveTalk(f): 4:16pm On Mar 16
Twoclans:
I am curious to know what happened to those that stayed for a few months .Maybe I will make out time and go and read this history .
Me too because the rate at which they die on the throne is very alarming.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Kingzjayzee: 6:04pm On Mar 16
No pishurs?
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Sctests: 6:56pm On Mar 16
kestolove95:
For you to last on that seat... You hv to be a Don ND cook ursef very well... No b child play like obi of Onitsha

Close your rotten mouth. Oba Isaac Akinyele lasted 10 years on the throne and was Christian Olubadan who would not follow the Isese rubbish. Go and read..
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Kingzmate(m): 7:37pm On Mar 16
I GOT TO TAKE A PISS WITH THE CURRENT ONE IF IT IS REAL cool
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by gaskiyamagana: 8:23pm On Mar 16
Shikena:
grin grin Baba don vex. History na your mate.

Any history, by any historian, that undermine or belittle Ibadan in the Yoruba land is fake and false.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Owutuotuo(m): 8:35pm On Mar 16
enemyofprogress:
*42 Olubadans have ruled the ancient city of Ibadan since Yoruba took over the territory in 1820*

*Here is a full list of Olubadans and number of years spent on the throne*

1. (One year): Lagelu – 1820  

2. (Six years): Baale Maye Okunade – 1820-1826      

3. (Four years): Baale Oluyendun Labosinde – 1826-1830  

4. (Five years): Baale Lakanle – 1830-1835    

5. (15 Years): Basorun Oluyole Ojaba – 1835-1850  

6. (One year): Baale Oderinlo Opeagbe Idiomo/Kure – 1850-1851  

7. (13 Years): Baale Oyesile Olugbode Ita Baale – 1851-1864  

8. (One year): Ba’ale Ibikunle – 1864-1865    

9. (Two Years): Basorun Ogumola Mapo – 1865-1867  

10. (Three Years): Balogun Beyioku Akere Onitamperin – 1867-1870

11. (One year): Baale Orowusi (Awarun) Kobomoje – 1870-1871  

12. (14 Years): Aare Oadoke Latoosa Oke-Are – 1871-1885  

13. (Eight Years): Balogun Ajayi Osungbekun Kobmoje  – 1885-1893  

14. (Two Years): Baate Fijabi 1 (Omo Babalola) Oritamerin – 1893-1895

15. (Two Years): Baale Osuntoki Olusun Agbeni – 1895-1897  

16. (Five Years): Badorun Fajimi (Yerombi) Oranyan – 1897-1902  

17. (Two Years): Baale Mosaderin Sunlehinmi Oranyan – 1902-1904  

18. (Three Years): Baale Dada Opadare Mapo – 1904-1907    

19. (Three Years): Basorun Sumonu Apanpa Isale-Osi – 1907-1910  

20.  (Two Years): Baale Akintayo Awanibaku Elenpe Bere, Aboke – 1910-1912  

Related
21. (Two Years): Baale Irefin (Omo Ogundeyi) Oke Ofa Babasale – 1912-1914  

22. (11 Years): Baale Shitu (Omo Are Latosa) Oke Are 1914-1925   11

*23*. (Five Years): Baale Oyewole Aiyejenku Omo Foko Oke Foko – 1925-1930

24. (16 Years): Olubadan Okunola Abaasi Alesinloye Isale Ijebu – 1930-1946

25.  (Three Months): Olubadan Fagbinrin Akere II Oritamerin – 1946-1946  

26. (Eight Months): Olubadan Oyetunde I Eleta – 1946-1946

27. (One year): Olubadan Akintunde Bioku Oleyo, Oranyan – 1947-1948    

28. (Four Years): Olubadan Fijabi II Oritamerin – 1948-1952  

29. (Four Months): Olubadan Memudu Alli Iwo Gbenla – 1952- 1952  

30. (Three Months): Olubadan Igbintade Apete Oke Ofa – 1952-1955

31. (Nine Years): Oba Isaac Babalola Akinyele Alafara – 1955-1964  

32. (Two Months): Oba Yesufu Kobiowu Oranyan – 1964-1964    

33. (Six Years): Oba Salawu Akanbi Aminu Adeoyo – 1965-1971  

34. (Five Years): Oba Shittu Akintola Oyetunde II Eleta – 1971- 1976    

35. (One year): Oba Gbadamosi Akanbi Adebimpe Odinjo – 1976- 1977    

36. (Five Years): Oba Daniel Tayo Akinbiyi Elekuro  – 1977-1982  

37. (10 Years): Oba Yesufu Oloyede Asanike IdiAro – 1983- 1993  

38. (Six Years): Oba Emmanuel Adegboyega Operinde Isale Ijebu – 1993-1999  

39. (Eight Years): Oba Yinusa B. Ogundipe Arapasowu I Oranyan – 1999-2007  

40. (Nine Years): Oba Samuel Odulana Olugade I- 2007–2016  

41. (Six Years): Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji – 2016–2022  

42. (Two Years): Oba Lekan Balogun – 2022–2024.

Speaks volumes when pieces of information like this goes without credit to the source.

Also FYI, late Oba Lekan Balogun was from Aliiwo.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Shikena(m): 9:34pm On Mar 16
Don't mind them o, they just wan humble person by force over nothing with the Baale history. We write our own history our own way, we even get Alaafin for Molete and we get Oranyan grin grin

gaskiyamagana:

Any history, by any historian, that undermine or belittle Ibadan in the Yoruba land is fake and false.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Kayw4re(m): 1:29am On Mar 17
StOla:
In responding to a post that appreciated the hierarchical system that has over many years been employed by Ibadan to determine the Olubadan succession, I asserted that it was not a real royal stool but a Baale system - wasn't that even very obvious going by the method of succession where any one who has been appointed a chief of Ibadan becomes part of the succession line?

In a Baale system, there is nothing like royal family or royal blood. The oldest chief takes over and the cycle continue. Nothing is inherited by any royal blood as it does not exist.

So I repeat that the Olubadan is not a real royal stool. It is a system of government of its own by a governing aristocracy that does not hold hereditary titles or previledges, and the most senior member of this governing aristocracy not by age but by membership in the aristocracy, become the next in line for succession.

Some ignorant fellows quoted me to cuss and insult. A few quoted and showed they were quite informed about this origin of Ibadan

I did not respond to any of them.

For the ignorant ones, I hope this topic which is not even from me, would inadvertently show them they are ignorant.

Among the first 23 Rulers, many had the title Baale being dominant up till 1930.

The Olubadan appellation only came up from 1930.

Just to enhance the story.

The 31st Olubadan. Oba I.B Akinyele was the First General Evangelist of C.A.C(Christ Apostolic Church). A former balogun, before he became king. It was during his era which was around the spiritual awakening of
as a result of the great revival in Western Nigeria (1930 ) ,that he came into prominence. Of course during the exploits of the fire brand famous evangelist(Apostle Joseph Ayodele Babalola.)

According to Christ Apostolic Church history, this Oba I.B Akinyele who was a former Balogun during the era of the great revival, he was a piller in the Apostolic team that were responsible for the great manifestation of the work of the Holy spirt through relentless prayer, holiness and explosive revivals.

It was said the the Oba I.B akinyele was part of the team that went to the "Alaafin" that we will no longer be sending "ishakole" (tributes) to the oyo kingdom and also we want an autonomous government in Ibadan. (You will notice that the previous leaders in Ibadan were only regarded as "Baale's" (Tribal Chiefs) and not Olubadan(king).

Previous attempts towards this request have resulted in mysterious deaths on the delegates. He was warned that he should not go to the "Alaafin"(supreme leader of the oyo empire) who was powerful and regarded a "death" himself. But Balogun Akinyele ,disregarded their warning, he told them that the power of God is supreme and reigns over death itself. He assured them that he will go and come back alive. He was advised to make many sacrifices, eat a lot of charms but he refused because he was a man of God and filled with the spirit of God.

Within the next 7 days, he summoned prayer warriors and they fasted and prayed towards the trip. On the 7th day , he informed the current "baale" that he is going to oyo for the important visit.

What happened next when he got there.....something happened when he met the "alaafin".
.( I am stopping here. This thread is for someone else. I just wanted to add little information. But if I get requests , I will finish the story)

Thank you for reading wink

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by Kayw4re(m): 1:29am On Mar 17
enemyofprogress:
*42 Olubadans have ruled the ancient city of Ibadan since Yoruba took over the territory in 1820*

*Here is a full list of Olubadans and number of years spent on the throne*

1. (One year): Lagelu – 1820  

2. (Six years): Baale Maye Okunade – 1820-1826      

3. (Four years): Baale Oluyendun Labosinde – 1826-1830  

4. (Five years): Baale Lakanle – 1830-1835    

5. (15 Years): Basorun Oluyole Ojaba – 1835-1850  

6. (One year): Baale Oderinlo Opeagbe Idiomo/Kure – 1850-1851  

7. (13 Years): Baale Oyesile Olugbode Ita Baale – 1851-1864  

8. (One year): Ba’ale Ibikunle – 1864-1865    

9. (Two Years): Basorun Ogumola Mapo – 1865-1867  

10. (Three Years): Balogun Beyioku Akere Onitamperin – 1867-1870

11. (One year): Baale Orowusi (Awarun) Kobomoje – 1870-1871  

12. (14 Years): Aare Oadoke Latoosa Oke-Are – 1871-1885  

13. (Eight Years): Balogun Ajayi Osungbekun Kobmoje  – 1885-1893  

14. (Two Years): Baate Fijabi 1 (Omo Babalola) Oritamerin – 1893-1895

15. (Two Years): Baale Osuntoki Olusun Agbeni – 1895-1897  

16. (Five Years): Badorun Fajimi (Yerombi) Oranyan – 1897-1902  

17. (Two Years): Baale Mosaderin Sunlehinmi Oranyan – 1902-1904  

18. (Three Years): Baale Dada Opadare Mapo – 1904-1907    

19. (Three Years): Basorun Sumonu Apanpa Isale-Osi – 1907-1910  

20.  (Two Years): Baale Akintayo Awanibaku Elenpe Bere, Aboke – 1910-1912  

Related
21. (Two Years): Baale Irefin (Omo Ogundeyi) Oke Ofa Babasale – 1912-1914  

22. (11 Years): Baale Shitu (Omo Are Latosa) Oke Are 1914-1925   11

*23*. (Five Years): Baale Oyewole Aiyejenku Omo Foko Oke Foko – 1925-1930

24. (16 Years): Olubadan Okunola Abaasi Alesinloye Isale Ijebu – 1930-1946

25.  (Three Months): Olubadan Fagbinrin Akere II Oritamerin – 1946-1946  

26. (Eight Months): Olubadan Oyetunde I Eleta – 1946-1946

27. (One year): Olubadan Akintunde Bioku Oleyo, Oranyan – 1947-1948    

28. (Four Years): Olubadan Fijabi II Oritamerin – 1948-1952  

29. (Four Months): Olubadan Memudu Alli Iwo Gbenla – 1952- 1952  

30. (Three Months): Olubadan Igbintade Apete Oke Ofa – 1952-1955

31. (Nine Years): Oba Isaac Babalola Akinyele Alafara – 1955-1964  

32. (Two Months): Oba Yesufu Kobiowu Oranyan – 1964-1964    

33. (Six Years): Oba Salawu Akanbi Aminu Adeoyo – 1965-1971  

34. (Five Years): Oba Shittu Akintola Oyetunde II Eleta – 1971- 1976    

35. (One year): Oba Gbadamosi Akanbi Adebimpe Odinjo – 1976- 1977    

36. (Five Years): Oba Daniel Tayo Akinbiyi Elekuro  – 1977-1982  

37. (10 Years): Oba Yesufu Oloyede Asanike IdiAro – 1983- 1993  

38. (Six Years): Oba Emmanuel Adegboyega Operinde Isale Ijebu – 1993-1999  

39. (Eight Years): Oba Yinusa B. Ogundipe Arapasowu I Oranyan – 1999-2007  

40. (Nine Years): Oba Samuel Odulana Olugade I- 2007–2016  

41. (Six Years): Oba Saliu Akanmu Adetunji – 2016–2022  

42. (Two Years): Oba Lekan Balogun – 2022–2024.

The 31st Olubadan. Oba I.B Akinyele was the First General Evangelist of C.A.C(Christ Apostolic Church). A former balogun, before he became king. It was during his era which was around the spiritual awakening of
as a result of the great revival in Western Nigeria (1930 ) ,that he came into prominence. Of course during the exploits of the fire brand famous evangelist(Apostle Joseph Ayodele Babalola.)

According to Christ Apostolic Church history, this Oba I.B Akinyele who was a former Balogun during the era of the great revival, he was a piller in the Apostolic team that were responsible for the great manifestation of the work of the Holy spirt through relentless prayer, holiness and explosive revivals.

It was said the the Oba I.B akinyele was part of the team that went to the "Alaafin" that we will no longer be sending "ishakole" (tributes) to the oyo kingdom and also we want an autonomous government in Ibadan. (You will notice that the previous leaders in Ibadan were only regarded as "Baale's" (Tribal Chiefs) and not Olubadan(king).

Previous attempts towards this request have resulted in mysterious deaths on the delegates. He was warned that he should not go to the "Alaafin"(supreme leader of the oyo empire) who was powerful and regarded a "death" himself. But Balogun Akinyele ,disregarded their warning, he told them that the power of God is supreme and reigns over death itself. He assured them that he will go and come back alive. He was advised to make many sacrifices, eat a lot of charms but he refused because he was a man of God and filled with the spirit of God.

Within the next 7 days, he summoned prayer warriors and they fasted and prayed towards the trip. On the 7th day , he informed the current "baale" that he is going to oyo for the important visit.

What happened next when he got there.....something happened when he met the "alaafin".
.( I am stopping here. This thread is for someone else. I just wanted to add little information. But if I get requests , I will finish the story)

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by NoSentimentNo: 12:21pm On Mar 17
Ah!
Lagelu did not rule for just one year and was not even alive in 1820!
Lagelu ,a prince from Ile-Ife established Ibadan in the 15th century and he brought a BEADED CROWN with him thereby establishing a ROYAL STOOL.
However,his kingdom was later displaced in a war declared by Alafin Sango after the unfortunate incident in a market where the masquerade's secret was revealed for the 1st time in Yoruba history.
Lagelu took refuge in OKE IBADAN.

BEFORE his death he returned to re- establish his expanded kingdom which flourished for more than 500 YEARS before the town was deserted again during the OWU wars.

The location of the town was later used as a war camp by the most powerful warriors from various parts of Yoruba land fromwhere they planned successful expeditions and return to do post mortem and of course share spoils of war.

The present arrangements started after the Gbanamu war when armies from Ife, Oyo,Ijebu,Egba and other friendly armies decided to make the place a permanent abode and established a "NEW" town. This was around 1820.

Now all the generals were Royals in their own right and no one family or clan was subservient to the others.
So for relative peace to reign, a new and ingenious system of administration was needed to be established.

That was how they fashioned out a rotational system that also takes merit into account.
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by NoSentimentNo: 2:38pm On Mar 17
Ibadan is a fusion of many towns and villages rolled into One.

In the towns and villages that make up what is known as 'Ibadan less city', the baale or kingship systems are hereditary.

The Olubadan is just like an emperor .
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by NoSentimentNo: 2:43pm On Mar 17
It is true that from 1820, the title of baale was the norm.

This was for many reasons. I will highlight some.
1.The military "founders" of the third and "new" Ibadan did not want to continue the Lagelu Dynasty because it was hereditary and also meant that only direct descendants of Lagelu could ascend the throne.
2. A large number of them were of Oyo stock (Oyo. Ogbomosho, Iwo, Ilorin, osogbo Saare, Oje, etc.) and other northern Yoruba sub group who easily recognised the Alaafin as head of all Yoruba empire
3. They were not really interested in civil titles. Their priority was military dominance which they achieved to a very great extent.

Remember that even with their "baale system" they were busy conquering and subjugating other towns with higher kingship status. This is the real reason Ibadan was (and is?) derided by other Yorubas.

However , the system that evolved was the best ever.
All major yoruba clans have quarters in Ibadan and they all have equal right to aspire to the highest post in the land.
This is a form of democracy
Re: Full List Of Past Olubadans by enemyofprogress: 2:59pm On Mar 17
Kayw4re:

please go ahead and finish the story or better still open another thread. I enjoyed your contributions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.