Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables (14719 Views)

Ikpeazu Kicks Off Repair Works At Road Damaged By Landslide In Aba (Photos) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Inspecting Repair Works On Lagos Roads (Photos) / Massive Works Ongoing; The Construction Of Bodo — Bonny Road With Bridges Across (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Icceyfrosh12(m): 1:11pm On Mar 16
We had reported that the internet outage on Thursday afternoon experienced across the West African countries including Nigeria was said to be as a result of damage to at least three subsea cables in the region.

The Nigerian Communications Commissions (NCC) has said that repair works are ongoing on the undersea cable cuts that resulted in equipment faults on the major undersea cables along the West African Coast on Thursday leading to internet service disruption.

We had reported that the internet outage on Thursday afternoon experienced across the West African countries including Nigeria was said to be as a result of damage to at least three subsea cables in the region.

The West Africa Cable System, MainOne and ACE sea cables — arteries for telecommunications data — were all affected on Thursday, triggering outages and connectivity issues for mobile operators and internet service providers in the region.

MainOne on Friday said that an "external incident" resulted in a cut to its cable system in the Atlantic Ocean, offshore Cote D'Ivoire along the coast of West Africa, ruling out human activity as a cause.

"Our preliminary analysis would suggest some form of seismic activity on the seabed resulted in a break to the cable", MainOne said, adding it would obtain more data when the cable is retrieved during repair.

"Given the distance from land, and the cable depth of about 3 kms (1.86 miles) at the point of fault, any kind of human activity – ship anchors, fishing, drilling etc has been immediately ruled out," Reuters quoted MainOne as saying.

The incident has negatively impacted data and fixed telecom services in several countries of West Africa, including Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, among others.

However, the NCC in a statement said that operators of the damaged cables had commenced repairs, noting that internet services were gradually being restored.

“Cable companies – West African Cable System (WACS) and African Coast to Europe (ACE) in the West Coast route from Europe have experienced faults while SAT3 and MainOne have downtime.

“Similar undersea cables providing traffic from Europe to the East Coast of Africa, like Seacom, Europe India Gateway (EIG), Asia-Africa-Europe 1 (AAE1), are said to have been cut at some point around the Red Sea, resulting in degradation of services across on these routes.

“In Nigeria and other West African countries, Internet access and speed have experienced disruptions in the networks of service providers in the affected countries,” the NCC said in the statement.
https://saharareporters.com/2024/03/16/internet-disruption-nigerian-commission-ncc-confirms-repair-works-ongoing-undersea

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by PUSSYHOE(m): 1:56pm On Mar 16
I have nothing to say

Somehow it is the users that will pay either directly or indirectly.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Westerhoffe(m): 1:57pm On Mar 16
My data subscription on MTN is currently heading to a waste… it only connects on 2G/EDGE… and that's a network so slow for anything close to browsing and downloading.

Let's hope they don't go ahead to cut it again.
If they do again, just n**e 'em.

8 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Apili: 1:57pm On Mar 16
Hmm
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Talkisneeded: 1:58pm On Mar 16
Hopefully they are working on it....

I sell herbs tho
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by checky619: 1:58pm On Mar 16
Abeg i thought of something is it possible to sue this people I have lost some opportunities because of this network issue, lawyers is it possible? Just curious question o grin

15 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by PointZerom: 1:58pm On Mar 16
grin

Our concern is how much you'll loot on this project.
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Ekenev2(m): 1:59pm On Mar 16
Wahala
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 1:59pm On Mar 16
Wetin come do the undersea cables in the first place?? Abi mammy water don vex sad

8 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by tnerro1(m): 1:59pm On Mar 16
is NCC the one repairing it😁

18 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by inoki247: 2:00pm On Mar 16
Una still Neva tell us the cause of the Cable cut shey na Shark go chop Cable or negative go touch positive shocked shocked shocked

11 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Jammy2012(m): 2:00pm On Mar 16
grin
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by NSNO(m): 2:00pm On Mar 16
And people with no information were blaming the Houthis.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by ecolime(m): 2:00pm On Mar 16
Wetin NCC dey feel like? Like say na dem go fix am.

Dem sabi anything other than to carry paper files around?

29 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by PointZerom: 2:00pm On Mar 16
MyVILLAGEpeople:
Wetin come do the undersea cables in the first place?? Abi mammy water don vex sad

Looters must create an avenue to loot.

1 Like

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by GRACEGLORY: 2:01pm On Mar 16
Cables are engineered with a minimum design life of 25 years. Cables may remain operational longer than 25 years, but they're often retired earlier because they're economically obsolete.

Are we talking about damaged cables, or obsolete cables, or pirate tampered cables❓

We sell BARELY USED TVs with minor handling. “Excellent choice for those who want to be assured of the brands’ manufacturers quality.” 100% guarantee of authenticity

https://www.nairaland.com/4403197/barely-used-smart-web-2.0/201

1 Like

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by harryboyng(m): 2:01pm On Mar 16
Another avenue to chop money. Make una sha fix una matter cos it’s really affecting us at the end

1 Like

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Validated: 2:02pm On Mar 16
Good to know. Thought Reno said Glo is full strength or na bobo be that?

2 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by TTPAAR(m): 2:02pm On Mar 16
Make nothing do our online money apps oh....

If u know wat I'm talking about!!!! Hmmm

My small 25k wey I put for opay🤔

3 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Treasure17(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16
Better. Airtel on a rescue mission.

3 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by FireUpNow(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16
Will the customers be compensated?

3 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Treasure17(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16
TTPAAR:
Make nothing do our online money apps oh....

If u know wat I'm talking about!!!! Hmmm

My small 25k wey I put for opay🤔
Where you see 25k inside this Tinubu regime grin

8 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by sofeo(m): 2:03pm On Mar 16
Alright
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Originakalokalo(m): 2:04pm On Mar 16
I hope the repair is done quickly....

After death what's next?

Jesus promised me eternal life.

Accept him as your Lord and Savior today....You may find yourself in eternity any moment.

Jesus loves you.

5 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by spiSeyi: 2:07pm On Mar 16
Courtesy of Yemeni terrorists group backed by Iran ,
They destroyed the Red Sea undersea cable which went further to affect the WASC (West African Cabling System),
This issue almost exhausted me as a Network engineer when it started on Thursday because the NOCs (Network operation Centers) systems can't even respond for a support.
Islam has become a threat to this world than the peace it claims to be undecided

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Duelee: 2:10pm On Mar 16
Mouth agape, and NCC spilled rubbish! It's quite ridiculous that statements like this are coming From then . At end of the day they should release papers showing how instrumental they were towards the repairs and restoration of the cables.

oka mma n'ama

They're always foaming in the mouth like epileptic patients as they react to international matters while the home front is in deep mess.

Case in point.

Countless occasions massive down times and utter disruptive internet connectivity has been witnessed nationwide but never for once have they given a press release.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Truthsandtrusts: 2:12pm On Mar 16
Icceyfrosh12:

https://saharareporters.com/2024/03/16/internet-disruption-nigerian-commission-ncc-confirms-repair-works-ongoing-undersea

This na small matter for peter and Obi to fix ,they should call them to fix it immediately obidients has the tools

1 Like

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by Angelfrost(m): 2:12pm On Mar 16
MTN seems to be the hardest hit... Airtel is doing better, and seems to have bounced back.

2 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by SoNature(m): 2:13pm On Mar 16
We have been hearing this for the past three days and my MTN has remained totally useless!
Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by new2012: 2:16pm On Mar 16
checky619:
Abeg i thought of something is it possible to sue this people I have lost some opportunities because of this network issue, lawyers is it possible? Just curious question o grin
read abt force majeure

2 Likes

Re: Internet Disruption: NCC, Confirms Repair Works Ongoing On Undersea Cables by GindoX(m): 2:17pm On Mar 16
Seriously? No wonder I dey sweat yesterday during transfer from my opay account. Collect money from POS operator eat for mama put beside him. Transfer no gree go. Come see seriously sweating grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soldiers Invade Police Station In Ibadan / Senator Hope Uzodinma's Pretty Wife Chioma Ikeaka Flaunts Her Baby Bump(pics) / Weakest Politicians Have Left APC - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.