Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments (9374 Views)

ODD NEWS: Nigerians May Soon Be Importing Yams From China / Man Laments Destruction Of His Plantain Farm By Fulani Herdsmen In Ekiti (Video) / Why US Rejected Nigeria's Yam - Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by AmazingGenius: 3:07pm On Mar 17
Nigerians may soon be importing yam for local consumption from China, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD), Ernest Umakihe, has said.

Umakihe stated this while speaking at a stakeholders workshop on repositioning yam as an export crop.

He lamented that despite accounting for 67% of global yam output, it was unfortunate that Nigeria is nowhere on the map of yam exporting countries.

He expressed concerns that with China delving into yam exportation, and considering Nigerians taste for imported goods, Chinese yam may soon be found in Nigerian kitchen if care is not taken, thereby pushing more Nigerians into the unemployment market and and reducing income of yam farmers.

Umakihe said Nigerian’s first attempt at exporting yam was by Nasarawa State Government in 2009 with 8.5 metric tonnes and within the same month another 66 metric tonnes were exported in two shipments, followed by Oyo State, but without success.
He also said that the Ministry’s attempt to revive yam export in 2017 was poorly handled.

“It was only in 2017 that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture under the leadership of Chief Audu Ogbeh, then Minister, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development organised the first flag-off ceremony (of yam) with a batch of 72 tons to UK and USA. I believe these were done without proper planning before the execution. Aside the mentioned attempts, nothing much has been heard of the yam export from Nigeria,” he said.

Speaking on the theme of the workshop, ‘Prospects and Challenges of yam export in Nigeria’, he said it is the duty of Nigerians to find out what went wrong and how to address.

https://leadership.ng/nigerians-may-soon-start-importing-yam-from-china-perm-sec-laments-2/

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:22pm On Mar 17
I plant yam in my Osun State farm, planning to leave it in ground to grow for 2 years, then someone comes in the 7-8 month to harvest it in the middle of the night.

Meanwhile Ghana yam boku for Deptford Market at 2 for £5.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:22pm On Mar 17
Arobaga:
God will punish Tinubu

Even the yam cassava he promised we no see eat

I'm very certain he promised only àgbàdo.

14 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CodeTemplar: 3:23pm On Mar 17
Where is blue3k and his clique of statistics churners? We are top consumer and top producer, but deficit in supply doesn't mean we should all start celebrating our top producer status as consolation. It all means our status as top producer doesn't automatically position us for export or as the best cultivators around.

Cc: nairalanda1, grandstar.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by RenaissanceGuy: 5:02pm On Mar 17
If we're unable to export, how come it's this very costly? Is the abundance not supposed to make it extremely cheap??

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Blue3k(m): 5:08pm On Mar 17
CodeTemplar:
Where is blue3k and his clique of statistics churners? We are top consumer and top producer, but deficit in supply doesn't mean we should all start celebrating our top producer status as consolation. It all means our status as top producer doesn't automatically position us for export or as the best cultivators around.

Cc: nairalanda1, grandstar.

Lol first time you said something close to sensible regarding economics. Anyway this remains the USA beef market. They one of biggest consumers exporters and importers. Even if Nigeria becomes an exporter tomorrow it doesn't necessarily mean we will stop imports. From what I read Nigeria doesn't export because the country lacks storage and transport options.

If you're worried about the issue go Invest your money into solving it. You'll be compensated handsomely. Take a trip to Ghana or some other country and see what they're doing right. Write it off as business expense on your taxes.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CodeTemplar: 5:19pm On Mar 17
Blue3k:

Lol first time you said something close to sensible regarding economics. Anyway this remains the USA beef market. They one of biggest consumers exporters and importers. Even if Nigeria becomes an exporter tomorrow it doesn't necessarily mean we will stop imports. From what I read Nigeria doesn't export because the country lacks storage and transport options.

If you're worried about the issue go Invest your money into solving it. You'll be compensated handsomely. Take a trip to Ghana or some other country and see what they're doing right. Write it off as business expense on your taxes.
lol @ something close to sensible. That's your way of accepting your flaws I guess.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CodeTemplar: 5:23pm On Mar 17
Blue3k:

beaf and USA is not an appropriate example. I know you don't understand the fact you are hurriedly churning out here. Import of beaf can be for onward processing and re-exporting. That puts a whole new meaning to the data and makes it inappropriate for your argument.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Blue3k(m): 5:31pm On Mar 17
CodeTemplar:
lol @ something close to sensible. That's your way of accepting your flaws I guess.

You didn't make a counter argument to anything me or Grandstar said. Lol this a classic strawman. When did we tell you being biggest producer automatically makes you biggest exporter? All you said is Nigeria could potentially be better and I agreed.

CodeTemplar:
beaf and USA is not an appropriate example. I know you don't understand the fact you are hurriedly churning out here. Import of beaf can be for onward processing and re-exporting. That puts a whole new meaning to the data and makes it inappropriate for your argument.

Lol the United States imports beef mainly for consumption not re-exporting. US consumers enjoy different varieties of beef cuts. US farmers export the beef out because it's more profitable to serve certain foreigners. Since you're in hurry to respond you didn't even read the article on the topic.

In other words, other countries are willing to pay for high quality US beef cuts, so some high-quality cuts are exported. Conversely, the US is a large consumer of ground beef and imports are brought in to help satisfy domestic demand for lower quality cuts of beef.

https://www.iowafarmbureau.com/Article/World-Beef-Trade

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Mindlog: 6:03pm On Mar 17
budaatum:
I plant yam in my Osun State farm, planning to leave it in ground to grow for 2 years, then someone comes in the 7-8 month to harvest it in the middle of the night.

E cheap o! Would certainly check the market out, when in the area.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by AntiChristian: 7:19am On Mar 18
embarassed
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Ofunaofu: 7:19am On Mar 18
angry
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Authoreety: 7:19am On Mar 18
Solve insecurity fes

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by diamond68: 7:20am On Mar 18
cheesy
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by greatman247(m): 7:20am On Mar 18
grin
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Daniel7543: 7:21am On Mar 18
Jagaban the slayer of IPOBidents
My president.
May u live long.
Any other president (Pitobi) is a counterfeit.
I bow before u baba agba.
Ride on asiwaju, nothing do u.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Nbote(m): 7:21am On Mar 18
Lol
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by DrAkpamudehe: 7:23am On Mar 18

GOOD

My igbo brothers won't disappoint.
Cheaper yams on the way cool
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by ZombiePUNISHER: 7:23am On Mar 18
Might sound funny

but that's how Nigeria has fallen

Buhari and Tinubu came to steal and destroy
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by HateBigots: 7:24am On Mar 18
grin APC: From top to bottom.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:24am On Mar 18
RenaissanceGuy:
If we're unable to export, how come it's this very costly? Is the abundance not supposed to make it extremely cheap??
This nation is cursed with evil governments
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Funkyswagzz(m): 7:28am On Mar 18
Starting this morning with bad news is not a good thing.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Kingrshd3: 7:30am On Mar 18
What are our professors in agriculture doing and the so called ministry of food and science in Nigeria do u want to tell me we don't have an expert in the field 🤔

Well PitObi and his IPOB caused this trash 😢
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Elsueno: 7:31am On Mar 18
dey play, no be same Nigerians that import bottled water and grass

if the air we breathe can be imported, I assure you some very greedy bastards would use scarce $$ to import it.

majority of Nigerians need very wicked & no nonsense man that would seriously deal with thier rotten mind set

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by StUriah(m): 7:35am On Mar 18
Fake yams manufactured in China factories to be shipped to Nigeria.

You go chop rubber yams tire!

DrAkpamudehe:

GOOD

My igbo brothers won't disappoint.
Cheaper yams on the way cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by bigdammyj: 7:39am On Mar 18
Till then; Noted
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Angelfrost(m): 7:40am On Mar 18
A country that imports toothpicks and human hair attachments will import anything... Even pure water. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 7:44am On Mar 18
budaatum:

Planting yam for two years....
You are obviously not a yam farmer
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CSTRR: 7:46am On Mar 18
APC!!!!
Progress!!!!!

Una go see shege.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Theunbothered: 7:51am On Mar 18
Export is illegal but import from China is okay. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Secrets And Riches In Storage Business / Medication And Vaccination Program For Layers / My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.