Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,692 members, 7,816,825 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 PM

Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments (9378 Views)

ODD NEWS: Nigerians May Soon Be Importing Yams From China / Man Laments Destruction Of His Plantain Farm By Fulani Herdsmen In Ekiti (Video) / Why US Rejected Nigeria's Yam - Audu Ogbeh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 8:56pm On Mar 18
kkins25:

Juju, you know, is relative. 🤣

Indeed I do. One person's juju is another person's knowledge, just as magic is a trick.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Cindypresh(f): 10:02pm On Mar 18
budaatum:
I wonder how you think we get those big yams that are desired for dowries.

Oga go and grow your 2yrs yam nau, stop mentioning me.

Make it 5yrs sef, it'll grow bigger
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 10:08pm On Mar 18
Cindypresh:

Oga go and grow your 2yrs yam nau, stop mentioning me.

Make it 5yrs sef, it'll grow bigger

Why would I not mention you when you mentioned and questioned me?

I'd love to let my yam grow for 5 years, but I'm afraid you wouldn't let it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by malali: 10:14pm On Mar 18
Blue3k:

If that's the case why not consider setting up shop In Kano or Kuduna. Alot of Nigerian cows are imported from Niger 🇳🇪. Process it there and drive it South in refrigerated trucks or rail when it becomes available. Contract with the super markets to supply them regularly.

Thats a good idea, buy 5 cold trucks, kill process and transfer to south daily.But do we have supermarkets that can keep meat refrigerated without power failure ? Most people are use to killing the meat today in abattoir and selling the same day.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by grandstar(m): 11:19pm On Mar 18
CodeTemplar:
Still churning out useless data to support trashy arguments.

Self sufficiency connotes local production and if there is currently an import trend in that area, then import substitution is just another term for the process that leads to self-sufficiency. One is the goal and the other encompasses the whole process toaards achieving that goal, but in your stone-headedness, you prefer to twist grammar and play the smart debater. All what you presented as argument ended up supporting my point that import substitution is needed in our case because we are currently importing what we can produce locally. We have refinery so can substitute petrol, diesel and jet fuel import with local production. We practice agric so can equally substitute food import with local food if there is increase in production.
We have willing learners that can be groomed to achieve same in medical tourism. Same for education.
Rebrand it all you want and put up your courtroom attitude of never backing down all you want, we still need import substitution.

Seems even your ardent supporting monikers are fed up with petty tactics cos the likes and shares had dried up. Lol.

I honestly don't know why I keep replying you.

You policies were what sank Nigeria into the mess it is today.

The CBN barred direct dollar sales for the importation of 43 products in 2015, only to reverse it last year. It was a disastrous attempt at import substitution. I knew it was a failure from the word go.

The only "economist" you probably hold in high regard is Buhari and you're probably reading one of his books currently.

Perhaps, you can prepare a "Great Leap Forward" document which you feel can transform the economy into the top 5 globally in a generation.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by grandstar(m): 1:25am On Mar 19
CodeTemplar:
Still churning out useless data to support trashy arguments.

Self sufficiency connotes local production and if there is currently an import trend in that area, then import substitution is just another term for the process that leads to self-sufficiency. One is the goal and the other encompasses the whole process toaards achieving that goal, but in your stone-headedness, you prefer to twist grammar and play the smart debater. All what you presented as argument ended up supporting my point that import substitution is needed in our case because we are currently importing what we can produce locally. We have refinery so can substitute petrol, diesel and jet fuel import with local production. We practice agric so can equally substitute food import with local food if there is increase in production.
We have willing learners that can be groomed to achieve same in medical tourism. Same for education.
Rebrand it all you want and put up your courtroom attitude of never backing down all you want, we still need import substitution.

Seems even your ardent supporting monikers are fed up with petty tactics cos the likes and shares had dried up. Lol.

Economic illiteracy is what's fuelling this your obsession with self sufficiency.

What's concerns Nigeria with self sufficiency in refined oil

We are talking global dominance in oil and gas and you're talking self sufficiency?

N8geria should be the defacto hub of oil and gas on the continent! Refining 4mbpd, petrochemical giant, fertilizer giant, logistic giant, world beating oil servicing firms, generating 100,000mw of piwer etc. You're talking self sufficiency. I dey talk supermarket, you dey talk kiosk.

This is a product the nation has competitive and comparative advantage in has been left moribund due to the subsidies on refined products. If maximized, it would transform the native.

Economists are not in search of self sufficiency. They are in search for the maximization of resources.

Simply being self sufficient in what you can produce is self defeating.

If the resources squandered on rice had been spent on crops the country has comparative advantage in, agricultural expirts would have increased by at least $5bn. It actually be up to This is more than enough the cover the rice imports for a year. Sheabutter and sesame seed can each generat $2bn. And that's only 2 crops.

Cambodia increased cashew production from 100,000mt to 700,000mt within a decade. Nigeria still remains at 100,000mt. When you focus on where you have comparative advantage, you gain many times the return so called self sufficiency goals can ever achieve.

The country should be a dominant player in yams but I forgot all resources have been poured into rice. So, Ghana is a large exporter of yams to the UK than Nigeria

I can not continue to educate an economic illiterate who can not mention a single economist he admires. It is because their names aren't in Yoruba textbooks.

You have also dodged the question of which county today is sucessfully using import substitution policies to drive growth.or industrialization. Is that why you read Yoruba?
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by grandstar(m): 1:48am On Mar 19
CodeTemplar:
beaf and USA is not an appropriate example. I know you don't understand the fact you are hurriedly churning out here. Import of beaf can be for onward processing and re-exporting. That puts a whole new meaning to the data and makes it inappropriate for your argument.

You always choose to be stubborn, just wanting to argue.

As he said, importation is largely driven by demand for different tastes.

For instance, there was a year Japan limited imports of US beef due to the outbreak of disease.They turned to Australian beef. However, Japanese were not used to Australian beef. Tastes differ.

Yes, some beef may be imported and reprocessed and exported or used locally if it's profitable to a businessman.

There's so much variety in the meat industry. So many types of steak, hotdogs, burgers and so forth.

My brother's friend buys his steak from South Africa for his hotel in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Blue3k(m): 2:50am On Mar 19
malali:

Thats a good idea, buy 5 cold trucks, kill process and transfer to south daily.But do we have supermarkets that can keep meat refrigerated without power failure ? Most people are use to killing the meat today in abattoir and selling the same day.

I assume the supermarkets do have deep freezers for meat. If they didn't, why were people importing beef and frozen chicken in the past. The consumers will get used to not having cows killed and butched the same day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Konquest: 3:30am On Mar 19
AmazingGenius:

Nigerians may soon be importing yam for local consumption from China, the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD), Ernest Umakihe, has said.

Umakihe stated this while speaking at a stakeholders workshop on repositioning yam as an export crop.

He lamented that despite accounting for 67% of global yam output, it was unfortunate that Nigeria is nowhere on the map of yam exporting countries.

He expressed concerns that with China delving into yam exportation, and considering Nigerians taste for imported goods, Chinese yam may soon be found in Nigerian kitchen if care is not taken, thereby pushing more Nigerians into the unemployment market and and reducing income of yam farmers.

Umakihe said Nigerian’s first attempt at exporting yam was by Nasarawa State Government in 2009 with 8.5 metric tonnes and within the same month another 66 metric tonnes were exported in two shipments, followed by Oyo State, but without success.
He also said that the Ministry’s attempt to revive yam export in 2017 was poorly handled.

“It was only in 2017 that the Federal Ministry of Agriculture under the leadership of Chief Audu Ogbeh, then Minister, Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development organised the first flag-off ceremony (of yam) with a batch of 72 tons to UK and USA. I believe these were done without proper planning before the execution. Aside the mentioned attempts, nothing much has been heard of the yam export from Nigeria,” he said.

Speaking on the theme of the workshop, ‘Prospects and Challenges of yam export in Nigeria’, he said it is the duty of Nigerians to find out what went wrong and how to address.

https://leadership.ng/nigerians-may-soon-start-importing-yam-from-china-perm-sec-laments-2/
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Konquest: 3:39am On Mar 19
budaatum:
I plant yam in my Osun State farm, planning to leave it in ground to grow for 2 years, then someone comes in the 7-8 month to harvest it in the middle of the night.

Meanwhile Ghana yam boku for Deptford Market at 2 for £5.
The stats here on this thread clearly show that Nigeria is indeed a real underachiever when it comes to expanding the commodities value chains for localized consumption and export to the huge Nigerian Diaspora population.

The Ghanaians have mastered the art of TQM and this is why Ghana yams are widely exported in raw form to the UK and the U.S.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 4:40am On Mar 19
Konquest:

The stats here on this thread clearly show that Nigeria is indeed a real underachiever when it comes to expanding the commodities value chains for localized consumption and export to the huge Nigerian Diaspora population.

The Ghanaians have mastered the art of TQM and this is why Ghana yams are widely exported in raw form to the UK and the U.S.

We are so bad that our Ipekere in UK is claimed to be made in Chile.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CodeTemplar: 6:52am On Mar 19
grandstar:

You always choose to be stubborn, just wanting to argue.

As he said, importation is largely driven by demand for different tastes.

For instance, there was a year Japan limited imports of US beef due to the outbreak of disease.They turned to Australian beef. However, Japanese were not used to Australian beef. Tastes differ.

Yes, some beef may be imported and reprocessed and exported or used locally if it's profitable to a businessman.

There's so much variety in the meat industry. So many types of steak, hotdogs, burgers and so forth.

My brother's friend buys his steak from South Africa for his hotel in Nigeria.
You forgot to change accounts before supporting yourself. Lol.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by CodeTemplar: 6:59am On Mar 19
grandstar:

Economic illiteracy is what's fuelling this your obsession with self sufficiency.

What's concerns Nigeria with self sufficiency in refined oil

We are talking global dominance in oil and gas and you're talking self sufficiency?

N8geria should be the defacto hub of oil and gas on the continent! Refining 4mbpd, petrochemical giant, fertilizer giant, logistic giant, world beating oil servicing firms, generating 100,000mw of piwer etc. You're talking self sufficiency. I dey talk supermarket, you dey talk kiosk.

This is a product the nation has competitive and comparative advantage in has been left moribund due to the subsidies on refined products. If maximized, it would transform the native.

Economists are not in search of self sufficiency. They are in search for the maximization of resources.

Simply being self sufficient in what you can produce is self defeating.

If the resources squandered on rice had been spent on crops the country has comparative advantage in, agricultural expirts would have increased by at least $5bn. It actually be up to This is more than enough the cover the rice imports for a year. Sheabutter and sesame seed can each generat $2bn. And that's only 2 crops.

Cambodia increased cashew production from 100,000mt to 700,000mt within a decade. Nigeria still remains at 100,000mt. When you focus on where you have comparative advantage, you gain many times the return so called self sufficiency goals can ever achieve.

The country should be a dominant player in yams but I forgot all resources have been poured into rice. So, Ghana is a large exporter of yams to the UK than Nigeria

I can not continue to educate an economic illiterate who can not mention a single economist he admires. It is because their names aren't in Yoruba textbooks.

You have also dodged the question of which county today is sucessfully using import substitution policies to drive growth.or industrialization. Is that why you read Yoruba?
pride has swallowed your brain obviously.
You shifted goalpost to economist are after maximizing blah blah blah...

Self sufficiency connotes meeting local needs in an area and there is nothing bad in doing that before exporting. You prefer to ridicule that just to oppose me and keep debating nonsense stuffs. Is there any sense in refining 4mbpd and then importing same finished product you are exporting? Self sufficiency means you have your local need covered in that area. Olodo. Go and do your charge and bail hustle Oga and stop shouting Yoruba textbook up and down.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 7:40am On Mar 19
budaatum:
I wonder how you think we get those big yams that are desired for dowries.

Its amazing that this dude is posting the pictures of a white man to show the nation who is the largest producer of yam on earth an example....

Let me give you this free advice, please don't go close anything yam farming as you obviously know nothing about yams.

Those your yams will be rotten in the earth.

The big yams you see for dowry are not planted for two to three years....

Different species of yams produce different sizes, different tastes and different colors.

The type of land you plant, the level of rain fall, the number of times you weed are some of the many factors that affect the sizes.
Basic primary school agric text book would give you this basic knowledge.

Don't let one white man fool you about yam.
Yams are annual crops they die after one year, whatever that person is talking about is not yam, at least not African yam.
And if what he showing in the pictures are his harvest after 3 years, well I laugh because we produce better yam in 1 year even in bad conditions here in Nigeria.
Na free advice.

I know you won't take the advice tho seeing the way you are here posting pictures and ready to show us that you know

Some of us grew up having our yam farms at age 12 and you want to teach us about yam from a white man's article on the internet.
Continue
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 7:54am On Mar 19
CodeTemplar:
Where is blue3k and his clique of statistics churners? We are top consumer and top producer, but deficit in supply doesn't mean we should all start celebrating our top producer status as consolation. It all means our status as top producer doesn't automatically position us for export or as the best cultivators around.

Cc: nairalanda1, grandstar.
Actually yam exportation is a crime in Nigeria, it's been so for many years.
Just recently the Senate is working on it. Not just yam but many other food crops. That is why the customs had the right to seize the truck load of food stuff heading to Niger and co. There are many laws that seem to be dormant, the government activates them when they want to.
As a matter of fact I think the crime for yam exportation is purnisable by death
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:05pm On Mar 19
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:07pm On Mar 19
Exousiang01:

Its amazing that this dude is posting the pictures of a white man to show the nation who is the largest producer of yam on earth an example....
The pity really is the thieves who harvest my yams before I want them harvested, which is precisely why we will be importing yams from China eventually.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 3:15pm On Mar 19
budaatum:

The pity really is the thieves who harvest my yams before I want them harvested, which is precisely why we will be importing yams from China eventually.
How many tubers have you bought from Zaki By an that you are talking about importing from China.

You want to start importing yam from China because someone stole your yams in Osun.....

Please quick question: Re you Alright?
I mean mentally
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:16pm On Mar 19
Exousiang01:

How many tubers have you bought from Zaki By an that you are talking about importing from China.

You want to start importing yam from China because someone stole your yams in Osun.....

Please quick question: Re you Alright?
I mean mentally

Why do yo ask? Have I asked you for mental help?
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 3:26pm On Mar 19
budaatum:

Why do yo ask? Have I asked you for mental help?

What Am I a Psychiatrist?

You really don't need to ask for help tho.
On really does t need rocket science to sense.....

Bro you self go read wetin you dey write, e be like wetin person wer normal go talk?
You first dey talk about 2-3 years for yam wer be annual crops.
Don't you know yam dies after 1 year?
Why do you think we celebrate new yam festival each year in Africa, it's because new yam comes out every year.
I can get you for free that you won't find anything in the ground by the time you return to that farm 2 years later.
And saying you are a farmer and yet talking about importing yam from China when we yam farmers are all pushing clear passage for yam exportation make me feel you are not a farmer, neither are you a business man.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 3:30pm On Mar 19
Exousiang01:

You first dey talk about 2-3 years for yam wer be annual crops.
Don't you know yam dies after 1 year?

budaatum:

This is what my people say too that makes them come and harvest my yam early.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Cindypresh(f): 6:09pm On Mar 19
budaatum:

Why would I not mention you when you mentioned and questioned me?

I'd love to let my yam grow for 5 years, but I'm afraid you wouldn't let it.

Kikikikiki

You should go into comedy, you go blow even before your yam😂😂
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 6:37pm On Mar 19
Cindypresh:

Kikikikiki

You should go into comedy, you go blow even before your yam😂😂

Oh my golly. A kiki person.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 7:52pm On Mar 19
budaatum:

When a man stand by the road side arguing with a mad mad man, soon people will begin to think the man also mad -Prof Chinua Achebe

I don't comot from this conversation Abeg.
I don't want people seeing me in a funny light
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 8:19pm On Mar 19
Exousiang01:

When a man stand by the road side arguing with a mad mad man, soon people will begin to think the man also mad -Prof Chinua Achebe

I don't comot from this conversation Abeg.
I don't want people seeing me in a funny light

The person who has only seen his father's farm would claim his father's farm is the biggest.

https://afrifoods.co.uk/blogs/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-yams

https://plantvillage.psu.edu/topics/yams/infos

Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 11:12pm On Mar 19
budaatum:

The person who has only seen his father's farm would claim his father's farm is the biggest.

https://afrifoods.co.uk/blogs/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-yams

https://plantvillage.psu.edu/topics/yams/infos

Keep sending us links from UK websites.
As your brain never tell you say every country get wetin dey grow for there.

As you no see any Nigerian link supporting your dreams your brain never tell you say that your yam no go work for here abi.....

Keep following UK websites on how to plant yam in Osun state.
After one year your harvest go tell you why their things dey different.
Like say na the same climate we operate with.
I am telling you that the heat from the sun will cook your rubbers in the ground here in Africa you showing me link from UK.
Continue.
Layer you go say na village people no allow you progress.
You no go talk say na foolish decisions
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 2:03am On Mar 20
Exousiang01:

Keep sending us links from UK websites.
As your brain never tell you say every country get wetin dey grow for there.

You are a very funny individual. Do we not import palmnuts and cocoa seeds to plant in Nigeria that grow quicker and yield more than our local produce?

For your information, you can only grow yam in a greenhouse in UK because the weather is not right for it. It gets far too cold for yam to grow in the open.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 7:38am On Mar 20
budaatum:

You are a very funny individual. Do we not import palmnuts and cocoa seeds to plant in Nigeria that grow quicker and yield more than our local produce?

For your information, you can only grow yam in a greenhouse in UK because the weather is not right for it. It gets far too cold for yam to grow in the open.

And it's their text example you want to follow here in Nigeria in Osun state where yams rot in the ground because of heat.

Lol you are a smart person.
Compare the climates and you would know why it cannot happen here. Not African yam and not in African soil.

Does it make any sense to you that you couldn't find any article from an African to support your claims.
I mean African farmers......

You asked me how I think we got yams the size we use for dowry, I told you it's the specie and the kind of nurturing given and you get the result in 1 year.
Are the yams you grow in UK for 3 years bigger than our yams that we grow for 1 year?
If not so, don't you think you need a mental check for wanting spend 3 years doing something that can be done in one year?
Show me yams on UK that are bigger than Naija yams.....

E be like say your brain need jump start
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by budaatum: 12:44pm On Mar 20
Exousiang01:

And it's their text example you want to follow here in Nigeria in Osun state where yams rot in the ground because of heat.

As I've said:

budaatum:

This is what my people say too that makes them come and harvest my yam early.

And I am done with you.
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Exousiang01: 3:04pm On Mar 20
budaatum:

As I've said:

And I am done with you.

LoL
A man from Osun state wants to school a Benue man on farming.
Go and plant your man.
Those of us who have farms in Benue are still harvesting every 1 year and guess what?
Your people from Osun state are still craving for Benue yams.
Isn't it foolish that you keep your yam in the ground for 3 year yet your yam is still not better than that of the man who harvests after 1 year.
Yet you want to continue, where were you when God gave men wisdom?
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Cromagnon: 3:15pm On Mar 25
Blue3k:

Lol the clown can't answer that question. Yes Nigeria is the top producer and consumer. He didn't bother posting the correct stats to correct me for a reason. Even when arguing about beef imports, he's still wrong.
We know their type
All hast and no cattle
Everybody eye de clear now
Media now giving everyone crash course in economics that they failed to l learn in school
Re: Nigerians May Soon Start Importing Yam From China, Perm Sec Laments by Cromagnon: 3:21pm On Mar 25
grandstar:

No mind am.

Someone that read Yoruba and he's claiming to be an economics guru.
Uh
Is it not freedom of speech that emboldened idiotssss to talk about what they don't know in public with their chest?

Let him enjoy his moment
Shebi he will enter market tomorrow and buy imported yam with dollars?

Then his eye will clear

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Secrets And Riches In Storage Business / Medication And Vaccination Program For Layers / My Cucumber Farm! Wonders Of Creation!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.