Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,220 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:54 PM

Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria (30506 Views)

FG Records N524.25bn Financial Shortage In One Month / Khadija Ibrahim Resigns As Foreign Affairs Minister For State / Cloning: Nigerians Angry As Foreign Media Mock President Buhari. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 2:51pm On Mar 18
femi4:
Exactly. The quality of teaching is poor

I guess poorer than Nigerian public universities. cheesy
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by etrange: 3:09pm On Mar 18
I'm surprised to see such an incomplete title on front page.

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by CatchMeIfUCanMO: 3:41pm On Mar 18
I don't just like UK, I don't know why, even if I get a free work visa or scholarship.

It is not a country I can leave Nigeria for, honestly.

If not, I for don dey there tey tey.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by komodapson(m): 4:18pm On Mar 18
ValCon888:
The policy hasn't fully taken its toll and the universities are already going broke.

Since losing its colonies to independence, the UK has no "commonwealth" to subsidize its economy.

They thought Brexit was the answer, but it was only the beginning of their problems.

Now they're blaming migrants and cutting migration, not realizing migrants do the jobs the regular UK citizens won't touch.

. From time immemorial, i kept on asking myself this salient question: "what does United kingdom have as a resource, besides the human capital". I realized the country is structured on taxes, while they make their country a safe haven for looted funds on the other side. I know they have the technology to make Ships, cars, mining and I.T e.t.c wetin dey the country wey be say, if we dig ground we go comot something or if we plant this cash crop e go grow. I want an historian, please school me.

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by maasoap(m): 4:21pm On Mar 18
TINTINABULATION:
Every action has consequences.
Severe one at that. Nigerians are only interested in UK universities just that their spouse could work, nothing more. You took that opportunity away from them, just watch as the figure will drop from about 70k students (over 140k including dependants) in 2023 to below 10k students in 2024
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by maasoap(m): 4:23pm On Mar 18
ozo13:
Someone will now source for 20/30million naira to come to UK for education so as to be able to bring in his or her spouse and children to join them and you are making a policy against that.who told them in the first place it's because of education people are rushing to UK.
Perfectly said. The 2024 figure will be like 10% of 2023 figure, no doubt about that

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by komodapson(m): 4:24pm On Mar 18
justmondris:
A few years from now, most foreign students will start attending universities in China for the same quality of education at a very low price.

They are already doing that, especially Nigerian graduates from the Eastern extraction

2 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Gboyeee: 5:01pm On Mar 18
Let not deceive ourselves, this universities can survive without immigrants money. You know how much these countries give in aids every year, go check their defense and other budgets.The universities is open to bringing in more funding from international students. The universities can do fine. Let stop feeling important and build our country.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 6:00pm On Mar 18
justmondris:
A few years from now, most foreign students will start attending universities in China for the same quality of education at a very low price.

While thousands of Chinese students come to the UK for study, every year. They have the highest number of international students in the UK.cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by maasoap(m): 6:06pm On Mar 18
Gboyeee:
Let not deceive ourselves, this universities can survive without immigrants money. You know how much these countries give in aids every year, go check their defense and other budgets.The universities is open to bringing in more funding from international students. The universities can do fine. Let stop feeling important and build our country.

Then, why are they complaining already just after 3 months and closing down departments?
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Ilekokonit: 6:12pm On Mar 18
A number of the universities in the United Kingdom, UK, face bankruptcy as the numbers of international students from India and Nigeria – the most populous countries in Asia and Africa respectively – have declined.

Serves the UK right. When the former Home Secretary Suella Braverman was villifying immigrants and even moved some asylum seekers onto a floating boat prison even when the fire brigade said it was a fire hazard and she did not even wait for the result of the tests on the water supply on the boat to come back before rushing to move the immigrants onto the boat. The water supply later turned out to be dangerous to humans before she now moved them off the boat.

Suella Braverman (and Rishi Sunak who looked the other way for selfish political reasons) for the past 2 years has been CONSTANTLY castigating and vilifying UK immigrants in the hope that the conservative party will win the next election if they appealed to the inherently racist tendencies of EVERY white UK citizen and then Suella can after the elections topple Rishi as PM since she is now loved by the majority of the electorate who are white and want to blame all their woes on immigrants.

The main thing in the UK right now is a desperate Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and his increasingly right wing (racist) conservative party trying to blame every problem in the UK on refugees and migrants just so they can tap into the inherently racist Oyinbo majority's sentiment and win this years election in which they are forecast to be wiped out.

The oyinbo politicians who will be called out as racist if they said the same thing Suella Braverman has said about foreigners and immigrants in the past 2 years are playing a dangerous game of outsourcing their racist ideas into the mouth of Suella Braverman a former Home Secretary and Attorney General of the UK in the hope that no one can call her out as racist because she is of indian heritage herself and Suella is basking in that opportunity and I can bet that she will win her seat in the elections and if Rishi loses the election for the conservatives, Suella will be made the Tory party leader because most white people like her racist rhetoric because she can say what they have always wanted to say about immigrants without her being called racist since she is brown skinned.

Until the UK realises that immigrants are not the cause of all their problems, I have no mercy for them.

I have no pity if the UK economy tanks as it currently doing and i was not really shocked when the London metropolitan Police announced a few days ago that 60 Murder Detectives were going to lose their jobs as a cost cutting measure to plug holes in their finances as they have spent all their reserves propping up their expenses and now their annual funding from the Govt is not enough to pay wages for all their police staff. This is serious if UK police is sacking experienced Murder detectives to save money.

I also just read that some London police stations are being sold off to save money.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/15/met-police-murder-detectives-neil-cochin-homicide-budget/
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/plans-to-sell-london-police-stations-put-on-hold-b1144734.html

A few hours ago, I saw 2 Oyinbo middle aged men approach our bulding and knowing it is election time soon, I thought they were Conservative Party vote canvassers and I went out to meet them but the one who stopped at our building and dropped Labour Party campaign leaflets through the letter box of every flat including mine turned out to be Labour party officials and I told him that I thought they were from the Conservative party and if so I had meant to tell them that I would NOT be voting for the Conservative party because of the divisive politics of Suella Braverman.

He agreed that Suella was a divisive figure before he left but from the tone of his voice, his body language and his wanting to leave in a hurry, I could sense that he is one of these stiff upper lipped white aristocrats who a) is wary around black people and b) thought they were better than anyone else talk less of black people and although he is from the Labour party, I made up my mind NOT to vote Labour as I originally intended but to vote for the Workers party founded by George Galloway since those ones SEEM more tolerant of the grass roots and George Galloway himself is closer to ethnic minorities than the Conservative and Labour parties.

In the UK and America there is a phenomenon called "White flight or white exodus" whereby white people start moving away en-masse from any areas where ethnic minorities have started moving into. Its very common in London and I first noticed it in the SW16 area of London many years ago when the Somalians first started moving into that area of London after the UK granted a lot of them Asylum during the Somalian civil war.

A former white colleague in the NHS tried to justify "white flight" and he was quite condescending towards black people by saying he has daily arguments online with black people where he tries to tell them that white people are better than black people. I just simply told the then 25 year old "boy" to mind his utterances and not carry the same mindset to America where he was due to relocate to 'cos the African Americans will not tolerate such statements from him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 6:34pm On Mar 18
Exceed15:

I said most people. God is on your side that's why . I have couple of friends who came back after completing their studies. I think they are just interested in our money.

I won't discount God's grace and favour but many who came over, didn't research well before the leap.

Majority of Nigerians students clearly proved they just joined into the bandwagon, many said the agents who helps in processing their admission and visas chose University and courses for them! shocked shocked shocked

You come over to do the UK to do a Masters in Business Administration, abeg which UK company are you expecting to hire you and sponsor your 5 years skilled worker visa?

I told someone who wanted to come to the UK for his studies, he said it is Msc Finance and I advised him that chances of getting a sponsored job in that field is very slim, gave him alternatives that are more realistic but the guy ghosted me and in his mind I was an "enemy of progress". He came over for his dream course: Msc Finance, graduated and presently in his second year of the 2 years post study work visa working in a warehouse through an agency earning £11.47 per hour before deductions.

5 Likes

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 6:50pm On Mar 18
Mindlog:

I won't discount God's grace and favour but many who came over, didn't research well before the leap.

Majority of Nigerians students clearly proved they just joined into the bandwagon, many said the agents who helps in processing their admission and visas chose University and courses for them! shocked shocked shocked

You come over to do the UK to do a Masters in Business Administration, abeg which UK company are you expecting to hire you and sponsor your 5 years skilled worker visa?

I told someone who wanted to come to the UK for his studies, he said it is Msc Finance and I advised him that chances of getting a sponsored job in that field is very slim, gave him alternatives that are more realistic but the guy ghosted me and in his mind I was an "enemy of progress". He came over for his dream course: Msc Finance, graduated and presently in his second year of the 2 years post study work visa working in a warehouse through an agency earning £11.47 per hour before deductions.

What happens after the 2 years and he can't find a job?
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Panda7(m): 7:19pm On Mar 18
People go to the UK just to fang education. why aren't they trying online degrees and learning online. you might have more understanding of the subject matter than the classroom pattern of teaching
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by femi4: 7:37pm On Mar 18
Mindlog:

I guess poorer than Nigerian public universities. cheesy
Yes, very poor. What they have is better teaching facilities and up to date resources

In terms of teaching skills and impartation, our naija lecturers are better
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Exceed15: 8:35pm On Mar 18
Mindlog:

Ok
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by lastkingsman: 8:41pm On Mar 18
tensazangetsu20:

Start another MSc/PhD, enter as spouse/dependent arrangement or move to Canada/US/Australia/Germany/Finland
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by mmsen: 9:00pm On Mar 18
faceland:

You can claim to be Syrian refugee (with no passport), just be Arabs and they would feed and house you. You can claim to be Ukrainian refugee (with no passport), just be white or light skin Asian and they would feed and house you in perpetuity.

By the way, the accomodations are usually a nice hotel or some kind/loving family house.

Just because they take in asylum seekers (they take in African asylum seekers too) does not mean that they like or care about these people. And you're grossly overstating the quality of the accommodation, a lot of it isn't good. Those who are forced to stay in such dwellings frequently complain about the conditions.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:17pm On Mar 18
Jayhome24:
So how have they be surviving for so many years before the nonsense Japa syndrome started?

Pls always balance thing before posting it.

Answer the question above then I will take your post seriously.

The Issue is due to the urgency of students many useless courses were offered and grabbed eith both hands. Meaningless courses that would have bee treated on a single zoom meeting are now offered as 4 year courses.

Now they cannot afford to have those courses because no students. The very good schools won't blink its those mushrooms up and down that would be mostly affected.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:18pm On Mar 18
Afamed:
The only thing that took me to UK , US and few other countries was strictly on invitation.

If you know what you are doing, with that N20m , you want to spend on Japa you can invest that in agricultural products here in Nigeria, within 4/ 6 yrs , you are already a chief executive instead of spending N20m on Japa that will end in menial jobs over there

The problem is ease of doing business.

They'll kill that your 20 million in your front. Do you know how many small medium businesses have collapsed in the last year.

There's a fear of doing business here. Also not everyone is business inclined

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:21pm On Mar 18
Exceed15:

I said most people. God is on your side that's why . I have couple of friends who came back after completing their studies. I think they are just interested in our money.

What did they study?
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:22pm On Mar 18
maasoap:

Severe one at that. Nigerians are only interested in UK universities just that their spouse could work, nothing more. You took that opportunity away from them, just watch as the figure will drop from about 70k students (over 140k including dependants) in 2023 to below 10k students in 2024

It's going to less than 1k. Mostly elite kids now.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by armadeo(m): 9:25pm On Mar 18
tensazangetsu20:

Home sweet home.

He'll probably be retained as cheap labour though if he's really hard working
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Broveens42(m): 9:48pm On Mar 18
Jayhome24:
So how have they be surviving for so many years before the nonsense Japa syndrome started?

Pls always balance thing before posting it.

Answer the question above then I will take your post seriously.

Something tells me the conduit that sucks free oil to Liverpool has been severed by unknown forces
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Broveens42(m): 9:51pm On Mar 18
Gboyeee:

They should start by filling up their stadia like we used to see during the days of Rooney, Drogba, Thiery etc
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 11:30pm On Mar 18
femi4:
Yes, very poor. What they have is better teaching facilities and up to date resources

In terms of teaching skills and impartation, our naija lecturers are better

Comparing the two, I enjoyed the teaching skills of my lecturers here in the UK as they made learning enjoyable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 11:32pm On Mar 18
tensazangetsu20:

Either he starts an emergency doctorate program degree, runs a UK marriage, japa to another country or head back to Nigeria.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:33pm On Mar 18
Mindlog:

Either he starts an emergency doctorate program degree, runs a UK marriage, japa to another country or head back to Nigeria.

Na wa o. I thought london was one the top global financial centers. Why is it then hard to get a job in finance?
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 11:49pm On Mar 18
tensazangetsu20:

Na wa o. I thought london was one the top global financial centers. Why is it then hard to get a job in finance?

You must be exceptional to cut through and get a sponsored job in that field.

Hot heads from top rated Unis have higher chances.

Health and social care have more sponsored roles opportunities.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by justmondris: 12:44am On Mar 19
Mindlog:

While thousands of Chinese students come to the UK for study, every year. They have the highest number of international students in the UK.cheesy cheesy cheesy

Few years from now, many of them will return home to work in universities and transfer the knowledge they have gained.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 1:20am On Mar 19
justmondris:

Few years from now, many of them will return home to work in universities and transfer the knowledge they have gained.

Overwhelming majority of them return back to China after graduation
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by lastkingsman: 2:02am On Mar 19
tensazangetsu20:

Connection and network. Getting finance job here requires solid reference and the ranking of university attended.

Besides, degree cert is enough for those types of jobs. Also, age is a factor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Suffering And Smiling: Nigerians Blast I Stand With Buhari Group (photos) / 2016 APC Governorship Rally In Akure, Ondo State (Photos) / Third Class Graduates Should Not Be Allowed To Hold Important Political Posts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.