Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,871 members, 7,810,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria (30464 Views)

FG Records N524.25bn Financial Shortage In One Month / Khadija Ibrahim Resigns As Foreign Affairs Minister For State / Cloning: Nigerians Angry As Foreign Media Mock President Buhari. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Konquest: 12:55am On Mar 21
Ilekokonit:

If 60 Murder detectives in London are to lose their jobs and police stations are being sold off in London to save costs then there is serious fire on the mountain and any immigrant who thinks their job is secure is on a long thing.

In the UK many years ago getting a civil service job or NHS job was seen as a job for life and it was unimaginable that police officers will be fired or police stations sold to save costs but this is happening in London of 2024 and that tells me that the UK Government is hiding the extent of the belatedly announced recession (which might actually be a depression in my opinion).
Succinctly stated.

The Russian-Ukraine War, the monthly U.S. interest rate increases by the FED starting from March 2023, and Brexit are some of the unintended consequences of this so-called recession which in any event leans towards a depression. In any event, the world will have to live with cyclical economic recessions or depressions because of the increased economic interconnectivity among countries.

America too is headed for a recession with hyperinflation in full swing, and only those who have a keen sense of economic history and are investment-savvy will benefit from the changing world order.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by jookco(m): 12:58am On Mar 21
UK is a cesspool; that country is finished
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Konquest: 1:09am On Mar 21
sukkot:
nice one bro. Everywhere done red finish hehe 🤣
@Sukkot, how's it going?

"O ti red gan!" cheesy grin

In any event, I've always maintained in convos that we live in a world of cycles... And economic cycles leading to recessions in many countries will continue from time to time. Only those who are prepared or have learned punishing lessons from past economic downturns or are savvy investors would smile until the economies rebound.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Raalsalghul: 12:48pm On Mar 21
tensazangetsu20:

Omho my only wonder is how married men who migrated on student visa are navigating these challenges. Someone like me would have killed myself on God shocked shocked

Many ways around it;

Husband and wife both work and then plan shifts/work schedules around childcare: one partner's income is used for bills and the other to settle fees/investment/savings.

If no children in the picture, then this is the most ideal as they can work anytime and hours they want without having to worry about childcare: this enables them to save lots of money. I do advise this for couples: post child bearing or leave your children back home if possible until you are both settled. Oyibo no dey joke with childcare.

Last scenario involves one partner working only and his/her income is spent on bills only, no savings/emergency funds or investment. This is the case with a friend of mine who went to the U.K with his pregnant wife.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by GreaterFuture(m): 9:31pm On Mar 21
ConfidentialDoc:

Your regular UK white boy doesn't want to go to college. They all want to be the next Wayne Rooney or Daniel Craig....you don't need school for that.
It can't be that bad? How many percentage?
More than half?

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 4:36pm On Mar 25
Mindlog:

It is China. Those Chinese students either come from financially comfortable homes or are on scholarships and very few come with dependants, reason the discontinuation of dependant visas will not negatively affect numbers coming from China.

Yes so China isn't really UK's problem but 3rd world countries like us.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by Mindlog: 4:38pm On Mar 25
tosinhtml:

Sadly, yes.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 5:14pm On Mar 25
Mindlog:

Sadly, yes.

My theory is that the immigration move by UK govt benefits the residents more, less influx of immigrants means more jobs to fill & that leads to increase in wages because they we now have less qualified people to fill many roles. I reside in the UK & therefore It benefits me. I'm very happy about the current dispensation.
Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by tosinhtml: 5:17pm On Mar 25
YoshihideSuga:
Those universities should shut down! It's the free market - companies/organisations that cannot withstand change should be allowed to close. Most of those universities were polytechnics previous governments changed their statuses to universities.

If a university cannot thrive even when foreign students enrolment has plummeted, it should close. Bankruptcy/insolvency is part of business. I doubt the likes of Imperial College, University of Exeter, Durham University, Leeds University, London School of Economics, Oxbridge, UCL, Queen Mary's University etc, are complaining. Alternatively, the affected universities should be merged with other struggling universities.

Whatever will make UK Unis to be humble is good for the ecosystem for a short while, It reduces school fees & make it affordable to the international communities.

1 Like

Re: Japa: UK Universities Battle Financial Shortage As Foreign Students From Nigeria by lastkingsman: 11:34pm On Mar 25
tosinhtml:

China was once a third country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chaplain: Lagos CAN Backs Ambode, Says Sack In Order / Oshiomhole Calls Jonathan A "Zoologist From The Swamps Of Otuoke" / Ben Ayade and Dave Umahi visit Wike Today in Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.