Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,253 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash (26290 Views)

86 Rooms Where Tenants Paid ₦250,000 A Year Found Under Dolphin Estate Bridge / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by candygist: 11:27pm On Mar 25
PointZerom:
Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front.

If tenants can't afford to pay house rent. Let them go back to the village nd stay in their family house. Was disturb house owners ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by CaptainFM1: 11:27pm On Mar 25
Omalicious1:

Please, kindly explain the increment in rent of a house in which if anything gets spoilt, it's the tenants that repair such thing. Because most landlords are just after getting their rents, even his the roof is leaking, it's the tenant that fixes it.

I cannot explain what you are asking of me because I do not see details of the tenancy agreement. However if the Landlord is not willing to fix things in the house, it is also not a must for the tenant to stay in the house.

Contrary to the long standing norms, tenants can also issue a quit notice for the Landlord notifying him when and why he would be vacating his property.

Again, terms and agreement are not generic but once it's signed, both parties are expected to abide by it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by candygist: 11:28pm On Mar 25
ablejesus26:
Hmm Landlord and Tenants should be calming down oo.

Nigerians don't know what hit them by allowing this evil demonic Apc structure into their system.

Apc is the greatest calamity to befall any Country, if Apc happens to Switzerland their own don finish be dat.

The daft clueless Failure Tinubu knows fully well that his bestie bubu made Nigerians extremely poorer than Apc met the Country,yet He is doing everything possible to make Nigerians poorer than bubu did😁.

This Apc calamity be like se e pass all man power ooo😁

Customer go owe you igbese use Disaster Tinubu and him bad governance as excuse 😁

So if they change the party name from APC to something else will that make the country good ?
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Jasonekah98: 11:31pm On Mar 25
My rent is 180k here in Uyo. And it's been due since September last year, normally I usually pay before September, but last year/this year sha cry...

Na just 100k i struggle to give my landlord, remaining 80k. Omor e no even easy at allllllllll!!!.

Baba don dey ring my phone for him balance, i no fit pick grin... It's not funny sha, but ionno what to tell him
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by ablejesus26(m): 11:35pm On Mar 25
candygist:

So if they change the party name from APC to something else will that make the country good ?

The problem is not the name.
The problem is the sponsoring thought behind the creation.

The reason they came together was never to make Nigeria better or solve the problems of Nigeria they only came together to take Power from pdp and keep it at any length and cost.
Check their doings since 2015 it been Pdp,pdp Pdp Pdp this and that.

Nigeria no sabi market wey We collect for this Apc DISASTER hand.

May the strongest survive.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by CaptainFM1: 11:43pm On Mar 25
chopnaira:
Only if we had a credit check system. Landlords would be able to properly screen their tenants.

It's not that simple.
What about tenants that had good credit and financial rating when moving in, and few years down the line lost his job?

That's the major down side of credit check system.

The best is to have a law for Tenancy case to be decided within 1week in court. That way, both Landlord and Tenants would have a harmonious relationship.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by InvertedHammer: 11:43pm On Mar 25
/
A government that means well should first of all check the activities of real estate agents. It is wickedness for fees to be equal or sometimes greater than the actual rent. It seems that there is no regulation in place. Agent's fee must not exceed 5% of the rent. Caution fee must not exceed 5% of the rent. Attorney's fees? Are you kidding me? cool

/

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by leisuretym: 11:48pm On Mar 25
DenreleDave:

Don't be joblz boy

Find something to do with Ur time rather than trolling people online

Don't let me dedicated time to you, you won't like it
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Villa12(m): 2:32am On Mar 26
helinues:

The good news that have been circulating for some times, how are you and your likes have been reacting?

Eish
how is the so called good news impacted the lives of ordinary Nigerians on the streets?
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Chevrolet076(m): 3:03am On Mar 26
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by DenreleDave(m): 4:36am On Mar 26
leisuretym:

Don't let me dedicated time to you, you won't like it

Pls do dedicate ur time.

After all, u dedicated ur time to give me a first attack from no where

You don't know who are messing with
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by DenreleDave(m): 4:40am On Mar 26
AlhajiCSO:
Ferge001 mynd4 nlfpod Seu Domnique Mukna2
Rule 2

Fbi Cia mi16 efcc dss

Leisuretym, the same person operating as Scentedgrance, Xosh, bukkiexchange01 and Prigidypogodo and ngadaAwo

Report to mossad too

grin grin grin grin
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by YeyeGbami: 4:50am On Mar 26
Chaii 250 per kw, no be by force to stay for lekki estate sha. Any estate wey no allow residents do solar, dem be thief.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by GodisFirst: 5:08am On Mar 26
Even me.
For the first time in life, I am pushed to get a lawyer involved to quit a tenant. He had refused to pay his rent, vowing that no one can eject him from a house that is not his, threatens life of the caretaker who let him in without me seeing him.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Honestey: 5:15am On Mar 26
shortgun:
Tinubu is the worst thing to happen to Nigeria. I won't stop saying cos it's a fact

Hold your governor's responsible, Tinubu is giving them enough allocation to pay workers and create job opportunities, if you don't know this you are not qualify to mention Tinubu's name
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Honestey: 5:22am On Mar 26
Arobaga:
Let them clash with cutlass and guns so that population of Nigeria will reduce

Imagine a scenario where landlord voted Peter Obi tenant voted Tinubu after series of landlords warning that Tinubu is a disaster

And tenant now comes back to tell landlord that is he not seeing how the economy is that he should be patient things are hard

Mortuary go full that day

Tinubu is not the disaster, at least the educated people know that he dish out triple fold of FAAC allocation. Let's the lower tiers of government make it circulate.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by leisuretym: 6:26am On Mar 26
DenreleDave:

Fbi Cia mi16 efcc dss

Leisuretym, the same person operating as Scentedgrance, Xosh, bukkiexchange01 and Prigidypogodo and ngadaAwo

Report to mossad too

grin grin grin grin

Keep me out of your useless mention, you are disturbing me

Seun, this guy is constituting nuisance

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by DenreleDave(m): 6:28am On Mar 26
leisuretym:

Keep me out of your useless mention, you are disturbing me

Seun, this guy is constituting nuisance

Next time, u will learn not to insult people unprovoked...

I remember how you came to clearance thread to insult and blackmail me out of nowhere and now u r saying I am constituting a nuisance?

Don't chicken out.. U blackmailed the wrong guy

I just started with you
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Oghene86: 6:39am On Mar 26
PointZerom:
Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front.

If you can't afford to pay pack out, don't be claiming right with someone's property, you tenants will never learn.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by ubimagos: 6:42am On Mar 26
phorget:

You lots are some unrepentant individuals, perhaps I've been out of touch with reality so it would be a honor if you'll educate me on those good news please.
Just mention one single sector that has physically improved(I used the word ”physical” because I know most of those supposedly good news are all on papers). How exactly has those ”good news” positively affected the citizenries?

Any ”good news” that has failed to provide a succor to the masses is not good enough sir.
Obi can never be a President of Nigeria. Reason is that, he failed as a Governor, contemplating being a President is a taboo on its own. We went for a progressive, bad as it may look, Obi can never be an option not now or in the years to come.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Prigidypogodo(f): 6:51am On Mar 26
DenreleDave:

Next time, u will learn not to insult people unprovoked...

I remember how you came to clearance thread to insult and blackmail me out of nowhere and now u r saying I am constituting a nuisance?

Don't chicken out.. U blackmailed the wrong guy

I just started with you
I pity you ehhh
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by phorget(m): 7:10am On Mar 26
ubimagos:

Obi can never be a President of Nigeria. Reason is that, he failed as a Governor, contemplating being a President is a taboo on its own. We went for a progressive, bad as it may look, Obi can never be an option not now or in the years to come.

And the one who ”succeeded” as a governor is now performing ”excellently” as a president I guess.
WHAT A PERFORMANCE! Oya clap for your failure!
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Gerrard59(m): 7:11am On Mar 26
Putting this here for those who don't understand elementary economics and kini kon "government should regulate house rents".

Gerrard59:

To solve the housing shortage problem anywhere is relatively simple:

- Increase the supply of land and ease the process of building houses/apartments. The government should also go into public housing provision. That is what the Singapore government does. After COVID, property prices ballooned because of WFH policies, returning Singaporeans from abroad, people who emigrated from Hong Kong because of kini kon CCP laws, rising costs of labour as most workers moved back to their home countries, rising costs of building materials because of supply chain backlog from COVID etc. Expectedly, citizens complained and the government rose to action by easing border rules for construction workers and investing massively into newer PUBLIC housing developments. On the other hand, she released new lands to private developers while also increasing the taxes on those who purchased more than one property. The government also increased the tax rates on foreigners who purchased properties and closed loopholes. As I write, house rents have declined considerably compared to 2022 levels. It is not magic, but specific government policies.

- In Hong Kong, prices plummeted as many foreigners emigrated for various reasons. The government still had to invest in PUBLIC housing developments to satisfy the demands of younger Hong Kongers, especially as housing is tied to marriage, which is tied to fertility rates. But because the HK City Council generates hooge revenues from land sales, the government has not reduced the prices, unlike its counterpart in Singapore. However, compared to pre-COVID, house prices have declined significantly. To prop up demand, the government has eased immigration rules.

P.S. None of those governments DICTATED or stipulated to private developers the prices they should peg to lease their properties like our resident Karl Marxes argue, foolishly as expected anyway. Dictating to private developers how to price their rented properties has not worked anywhere in the world.

To solve Lagos housing issues, again, it is simple:

- Lagos MUST build UP. It is Nigeria's smallest state with the biggest economy and the most populous. That is more than enough to warrant consistent and increasing demand for apartments.

- High-speed railways to Ogun, Oyo and even Osun states. Everyone must not live in Lagos itself. Well-tarred roads leading to train/metro hubs so that commuters can easily and quickly move from Point A to Point B. Make driving, especially personal cars/vehicles, expensive within Lagos itself. Upgrade and privatise the water ferry transport systems. Insist on safety, cleanliness, punctuality and efficiency.

- Other states should be opened up economically so that the majority of young Nigerians don't have to move to Lagos to begin their nascent careers. States like Delta, Edo, Ogun, Oyo, Ebonyi, Bayesla, Cross River, Benue, Nasarawa, Niger, Kaduna, Plateau, and even the unfortunate Kogi should and can be developed as commuter hubs for residents. That is how it is easy in Japan, where most commuters live in Chiba and Saitama but work in Tokyo. How is this possible? Trains!

Are we so unintelligent in that part of the world that we cannot copy good things from others who have mastered them?!

For those aforementioned states to become commuter zones, invest in infrastructure, especially roads and railways, and most importantly, in security. Again, these are simple policies. Nothing is hard here, as it is not rocket science.

Because fewer people are not building newer homes for tenants to rent. People rather build and offer as Airbnbs. The Airbnb phenomenon also affects house prices elsewhere in the world. Since private investors own those properties, the government cannot regulate them, so the government should invest in public housing. The Singapore government banned Airbnb in public housing.

How is that bad? Is the landlord unaffected by the increase in goods and services in 2024? Is the value of 50K in 2013 the same as 50K in 2024? The very reason why landlords with older homes can increase their prices to compete with newer ones is supply and demand. I already covered supply above. If the demand for residential properties remains consistently high, basic and elementary economics says there would be a corresponding increase in the prices of properties regardless of their ages.

And if the shape is renovated to 2024 standards, should the landlord lease them on 2013 prices because the property was built in 2013? Is the price of cement in 2013 the same as that in 2024? What about the wages of construction workers?

It is not wickedness but basic economic principles and concepts. Nigerians have this attitude of using words anyhow. Wickedness is when the landlord outrightly refuses to lease the property even after offered millions. Looking at it again, that is not wickedness because the landlord has the right to choose whether or not his property should be rented out.

If you want to be kind with your properties, it is very simple. Go out there to build houses and rent them out however you like. That is the beauty of capitalism: you choose what to do. Hopefully, you and many others get to practice what you people have mendaciously preached in this thread.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Bizibi(m): 7:25am On Mar 26
MasterJayJay:
One of the tenants in the post saying that Landlord should not increase rent because people are struggling is being ridiculous.

Prices of food have increased over 100% but you still buy food. Inflation is not selective, it hits everything. Landlord is morally right to increase rent, especially when the inflation is high.
The landlord built the house to earn income, same way the food seller is earning income from sales of food. Landlord is not the enemy, it is Tinubulation.
an intelligent landlord won't increase the rent under this economy. Na litigation for court e go end.......if a landlord is enjoying the tenants consistent payments he/she should not increase it,I have witnessed a case were it took the landlord more than 7 months to evict the occupants.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by SaintUlot: 7:35am On Mar 26
pocohantas:

I am not moved by these estates claiming 24hrs power supply. Most times they would almost kill you with cost. You will have light, but to put on AC go hard you. It is better to just find a normal secure area as a young person and build you life. Don't fall for any estate and 24hrs power scam. Imagine N350 per kilowatt.

At N350 per kilowatt, it is still cheaper than running generator, it is still cheaper than Solar installation.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by pacificom: 7:38am On Mar 26
Arobaga:
Let them clash with cutlass and guns so that population of Nigeria will reduce

Imagine a scenario where landlord voted Peter Obi tenant voted Tinubu after series of landlords warning that Tinubu is a disaster

And tenant now comes back to tell landlord that is he not seeing how the economy is that he should be patient things are hard

Mortuary go full that day

You people just dey idolize peter obi as if he is the best man that can fix damaged Nigeria, look even Jonathan will be better off than him.. is it easy to run the whole of Nigeria. The best thing peter obi will settle for is open corruption ( Jonathan style) if he cannot fix things. Do you even know that 70% priority and focus of any Nigerian president is of the Northern, not even south. That presidency seat is not one you will get there and start doing whatever Bleep is in your brain; if you understand what I mean. Otherwise, I don't have to remind you how many coup that have existed in history of this country. Peter Obi is not a Masiah that you people think, and his experience is low for that position. He is an ambitious politician like every other aspirant that failed in 2023 election. Moses was not the best person to lead Israelites out of bondage, if not with God on his side. Let's just pray that God should use the present government to put the ship of this country in the right magnitude towards a brighter future.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Gerrard59(m): 7:38am On Mar 26
pocohantas:

I am not moved by these estates claiming 24hrs power supply. Most times they would almost kill you with cost. You will have light, but to put on AC go hard you. It is better to just find a normal secure area as a young person and build you life. Don't fall for any estate and 24hrs power scam. Imagine N350 per kilowatt.

I am curious, are there places which guarantees at least 18 hours of electricity (except when it rains) in Lagos that are not part of these 24-hours power supply estates?
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by cardoctor(m): 7:55am On Mar 26
Bound to happen
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by SaintUlot: 7:58am On Mar 26
purples25:
Is Tinubu the problem? Because it seems Nigerians are actually just wicked to each other. We increase prices based on the situation, and even if things get better, we never bring prices down.

Apart from the government being wicked to us, we are also wicked to ourselves. Imagine all business people sitting on their high prices and refusing to reduce even when/if NAIRA gains value.

Before you can see price reduction, naira has to become stable or keep on appreciating for @ least consistent 6 to 9 months, there is always a lag in the process, the benefits are not immediate.

Some importers paid for their consignment @ the peak of the exchange rate, these are consignments that won't get to Nigeria until the next two to three months. If you are a business person in their shoes, i believe you won't sell your goods @ a loss because the Naira has appreciated before your goods arrive.
There are no emotions or Sentiment about all these things.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by OGHENAOGIE(m): 8:01am On Mar 26
PointZerom:

I am a landlord too, it is wrong to disturb a tenant for one year rent under this economy. Only in Nigeria will you see tenants paying up front. At least 6 months rent is ok for now.
some tenants are irresponsible... Don't they buy foodstuffs despite the increase... ?? How much is even rent compare to cost of house maintenance...

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Debest49ja: 8:12am On Mar 26
Dummy statement have you seen anybody that bought building materials on credit. Better go and pay rent or enter street.

quote author=PointZerom post=129101624]Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front. [/quote]
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Debest49ja: 8:17am On Mar 26
Do the needful by sending him to the street, most of them will gentle pay their children school fees power the gen properly living one fake life but to pay rent wahala.

quote author=GodisFirst post=129110769]Even me.
For the first time in life, I am pushed to get a lawyer involved to quit a tenant. He had refused to pay his rent, vowing that no one can eject him from a house that is not his, threatens life of the caretaker who let him in without me seeing him. [/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

We Construct Overhead Tank. / I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? / Ebute-Meta Building Tenants Given Quit Notice Before Collapse - Caretaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.