Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,723 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash (26287 Views)

86 Rooms Where Tenants Paid ₦250,000 A Year Found Under Dolphin Estate Bridge / Different Types Of Nigerian Landlords (meme Collection) / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by JaySmart4422: 8:32am On Mar 26
Who are landlords in Lagos Igbos

Who are the tenants in Lagos Igbos
Who are those making staying in Lagos difficult for Igbos ?
Igbos

Who are those increasing rent at any opportunity igbos

Sometimes before you complain think
Tell yourself the truth

Life of a tenant is hard In Lagos cos of Igbo landlords
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by serenegroup(m): 8:43am On Mar 26
chopnaira:
Only if we had a credit check system. Landlords would be able to properly screen their tenants.

True talk.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by chidiokay: 8:52am On Mar 26
phorget:

Nobody will be happy about any bad news cos it affects us all negatively, its unfortunate that we cant afford not to hear or read bad news this days due to the choices some of you made for us. We are in it together already but I just hope we all survive this together too.

as much i find it appalling, i observe that mentality is pertinent to Peter Obi supporters who think a Peter Obi that can not fix common LP fracas can singlehandedly fix Nigeria and Life would have being rosy by now if Obi was the president undecided e ku disneyland

With the level of corruption and decay on ground, whoever takes over from Buhari can't escape the storm
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Saviola86: 8:54am On Mar 26
Whenever I see posts like this I pray from my landlord and his wife to have long life in good health.

I am an Igbo while my landlords are Yorubas from Ekiti but they are the best landlords have seen.

My rent expired since December last year and I was waiting for their calls or knock on my door but none. When landlady knocked on my door I thought she wanted to ask for her rent but she only came to ask for service charge because she needs the money to pay the security man, cleaners, estate security and lawma.

A week lady I paid her the service charge and was expecting she and her husband to talk about my rent but they didn't.

I waited January, February yet no words from them, I had to go meet them and told them myself that my rent has expired since December to my amazement they were like " my son just take your time, country is hard now so we understand, don't put yourself under pressure to put hands into wrong things. Go and sort other bills first when you have money you can pay your rent "

I was shocked, luckily I had no other bills because I already got my rent ready long ago and was only waiting for it to due before payment. That's how I paid and was wondering one kind of people are these?

I discovered that a neighbour that lost his job and has been struggling is owing them 2yrs rent and even the landlord some money. The man borrowed money from me and refused to pay, I was angry and reported to landlord that was when the landlady told me that the man is even owing 2yrs rent plus money the landlord loaned him to add to his business.

Landlady even said she was the one that loaned the wife some money to start a business to support her husband, I learnt she doesn't even allow wives of his tenants to be idle, she pressures them to do something to support their husbands and she has loaned some of them money to start business which they are still doing till today.

Those people are wonderful human beings and I pray people don't take advantage of their kind hearts to do them wrong and make them to change.

December last year, I gave them 25kg rice and groundnut oil as appreciation

I moved into the compound and walai my finances has improved, no more insomnia again. I love the place

5 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Walai(m): 9:13am On Mar 26
Saviola86:
Whenever I see posts like this I pray from my landlord and his wife to have long life in good health.

I am an Igbo while my landlords are Yorubas from Ekiti but they are the best landlords have seen.

My rent expired since December last year and I was waiting for their calls or knock on my door but none. When landlady knocked on my door I thought she wanted to ask for her rent but she only came to ask for service charge because she needs the money to pay the security man, cleaners, estate security and lawma.

A week lady I paid her the service charge and was expecting she and her husband to talk about my rent but they didn't.

I waited January, February yet no words from them, I had to go meet them and told them myself that my rent has expired since December to my amazement they were like " my son just take your time, country is hard now so we understand, don't put yourself under pressure to put hands into wrong things. Go and sort other bills first when you have money you can pay your rent "

I was shocked, luckily I had no other bills because I already got my rent ready long ago and was only waiting for it to due before payment. That's how I paid and was wondering one kind of people are these?

I discovered that a neighbour that lost his job and has been struggling is owing them 2yrs rent and even the landlord some money. The man borrowed money from me and refused to pay, I was angry and reported to landlord that was when the landlady told me that the man is even owing 2yrs rent plus money the landlord loaned him to add to his business.

Landlady even said she was the one that loaned the wife some money to start a business to support her husband, I learnt she doesn't even allow wives of his tenants to be idle, she pressures them to do something to support their husbands and she has loaned some of them money to start business which they are still doing till today.

Those people are wonderful human beings and I pray people don't take advantage of their kind hearts to do them wrong and make them to change.

I moved into the compound and walai my finances has improved, no more insomnia again. I love the place
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by millionboi2: 9:32am On Mar 26
pocohantas:

I am not moved by these estates claiming 24hrs power supply. Most times they would almost kill you with cost. You will have light, but to put on AC go hard you. It is better to just find a normal secure area as a young person and build you life. Don't fall for any estate and 24hrs power scam. Imagine N350 per kilowatt.
I don't know if it's only me,I'm not comfortable with that estate life,I prefer having my building suited in a mixed up area.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by millionboi2: 9:46am On Mar 26
Bizibi:
an intelligent landlord won't increase the rent under this economy. Na litigation for court e go end.......if a landlord is enjoying the tenants consistent payments he/she should not increase it,I have witnessed a case were it took the landlord more than 7 months to evict the occupants.
the landlord is poor or a novice in the game...two things,if you try nonsense with me I kick you out within a month.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by gabbytabby: 10:15am On Mar 26
Some wife/tenants are just wicked and not supportive. I have one tenant whose husband sell cars such that on the basis of his income I would not have rented the flat to them.

The wife on the other hand is doing well and her one month salary would cover the annual rent (325k for 2 bedrooms apartment) and her allowances and package in December is 1.3m ie x 4 of the rent. I usually ask for bank statements . Knowing what I know about their financial situation and that the tenancy is issued to both who are jointly liable after 2 months overdue, I asked them to leave my house because but for the wife income I would not have let to them and her stating she is only prepared to add 100k means we will continue to have this kind of headache.

Now everyone knows the kind of wife she is. I beg and beg do it for your child, the man cherish you, he is a good man just support and show him the road. Now I just want them out.

See some women now the man go get money go for younger model she go forget say in the days of small beginnings na disgrace and see finish na him she dash am. She choose to upgrade her man but wants to do it at my stress and expense.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by okine4real: 10:16am On Mar 26
Omalicious1:

If we really want to be honest with ourselves...why would a landlord just increase the rent of a house that isn't new?

Let me educate you, if I build my house three years ago, and I renovate my house every three years, the materials I will purchased, would be purchased at the current market price. There is a difference between face me I face you house and flats. Face me I face you houses, the landlords or whom ever inherits the house do not renovate, so the house is always in a bad state, but for flats, for like myself, I renovate every three years and I paint every three years, so I will always increase my rent. Let me give you another instance, if you move into my house three years ago, and the rent was 400k, after three years, I renovate, renovating let's say your section alone cost me 150k, where do you think I will add 150k too? If I Renovate my house for you, then expect increasement in rent.

2 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by gabbytabby: 10:28am On Mar 26
See yourself you had the money but still you refused to pay and you are talking about people taking advantage of them please look in the mirror.

Saviola86:

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Fr33born(m): 11:17am On Mar 26
NoToPile:

Shikena.

And some instead of some tenants to negotiate increment with abeg consider us they will be carrying shoulder high.

And some tenants have always owed even before the economy became bad, so those set will never move landlords in these times, it is those who have always been consistent you will consider if the tides turn for them.

How many Landlords in Nigeria, especially Lagos negotiates or discusses rent increment with Tenants?
Lagos Landlords just wake-up in the morning and double the rent and tell you to pack if you can't pay. And they don't increase in tens but in hundreds.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Saviola86: 11:34am On Mar 26
gabbytabby:
See yourself you had the money but still you refused to pay and you are talking about people taking advantage of them please look in the mirror.

Sense is not in you at all.

Yes I had the money but everywhere i have lived it is the landlord or lawyer that calls to remind

Have you paid your rent or Nigeria is still dealing with you.

Ode

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by NoToPile: 11:46am On Mar 26
Fr33born:

How many Landlords in Nigeria, especially Lagos negotiates or discusses rent increment with Tenants?
Lagos Landlords just wake-up in the morning and double the rent and tell you to pack if you can't pay. And they don't increase in tens but in hundreds.

Landlords in Lagos negotiate rent.

I am a landlord and also a tenant and we negotiated rent with our landlord this past year. It's simple if your rent was increased by you can always negotiate.

Our landlord was trying to increase our rent to a new price simply because the new flat in the compound was let out at that price ( it's agents that cause all those wahala) we negotiated and let him see reasons why our old flat can't go the same rate and that we are old tenants and the flat let out is brand new.

Baba is based abroad he said okay how much will you pay, we told him he went up a bit from what we said we can add and we agreed.

Besides we had seen it coming because of the following

1. The price they let out the new flat,

2. Current prices of the same type of accommodation in the area which is about 2times what we pay even more depending on the facilities and all that and had prepared.

3. Inflation.

Oga landlord how we go do oo, please try and beat it down, consider us now if he doesn't agree then it's a different thing entirely.

Now imagine a case where our own tenant telling us we do not have a right to increase by whatever percentage.

We gave him maximum shishi. Radarada.

Landlords are humans too, if you deal with them nicely they will do same to you. My mum still collects 6 months from her tenants still they take advantage of an old woman.

It's wickedness to even think that your landlord should not increase rent at all.
You never jam the ones that will tell you it skipped their mind, due date of rent skips tenants mind in Lagos, some will never pay until you hound them. They expect you to be running after them even when they have the money to pay, irresponsible tenants. Some even when they don't have at the point of expiry of rent feel they don't owe you an explanation. Common courtesy they don't have so landlords will be brutal with these set.

Until one is on both sides one won't understand.

3 Likes

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Hamilton1(m): 11:51am On Mar 26
Jasonekah98:
My rent is 180k here in Uyo. And it's been due since September last year, normally I usually pay before September, but last year/this year sha cry...

Na just 100k i struggle to give my landlord, remaining 80k. Omor e no even easy at allllllllll!!!.

Baba don dey ring my phone for him balance, i no fit pick grin... It's not funny sha, but ionno what to tell him
Look for roommate
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Emma1Oj(m): 11:55am On Mar 26
MasterJayJay:

Which kind babablu statement be this?

I don't know of any landlord that buys materials on credit to build a house.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy werey
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Ifyz0001: 1:13pm On Mar 26
Here the landlord just increased the rent with 250k...

Landlords are just mad ppl
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Obierika(m): 2:05pm On Mar 26
PointZerom:
Any landlord expecting 100% payment will tell Nigerians if he paid for all the building materials used on that house up front.

If you continue with this mentality you will never build your own house
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by gabbytabby: 2:09pm On Mar 26
Ole

Saviola86:

Yes I had the money but everywhere i have lived it is the landlord or lawyer that calls to remind

Ode
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Saviola86: 2:11pm On Mar 26
gabbytabby:
Ole

You're hungry dude
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by PointZerom: 2:39pm On Mar 26
Obierika:

If you continue with this mentality you will never build your own house

Lol, you're talking to a landlord both home and city.

Travel outside Nigeria and see how's done ok.

It is fraud to collect rent upfront.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Obierika(m): 2:58pm On Mar 26
PointZerom:

Lol, you're talking to a landlord both home and city.

Travel outside Nigeria and see how's done ok.

It is fraud to collect rent upfront.

Oya come and build a house in Nigeria and be collecting rent on a monthly basis let us see how far you can go before your tenants drive you crazy?
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by pocohantas(f): 3:05pm On Mar 26
Gerrard59:

I am curious, are there places which guarantees at least 18 hours of electricity (except when it rains) in Lagos that are not part of these 24-hours power supply estates?

Yes, there are. The last time I told my friend of our power situation, her bf moved into my neighbourhood. So, I am gatekeeping.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Bizibi(m): 4:07pm On Mar 26
millionboi2:
the landlord is poor or a novice in the game...two things,if you try nonsense with me I kick you out within a month.
poor landlord?? Let me keep quiet till you experience it.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by PointZerom: 4:38pm On Mar 26
Obierika:

Oya come and build a house in Nigeria and be collecting rent on a monthly basis let us see how far you can go before your tenants drive you crazy?

I have told my tenants already to be paying 6 months and I am about to make it 2 months.

It is fraud to pay rent upfront.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by folake4u(f): 4:48pm On Mar 26
Gerrard59:

I am curious, are there places which guarantees at least 18 hours of electricity (except when it rains) in Lagos that are not part of these 24-hours power supply estates?

My current place boasts of 17-18hrs of electricity and it's not in an estate.

Recently there was power outage during the weekend but we had uninterrupted power supply from Sunday till date.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Omalicious1: 5:33pm On Mar 26
okine4real:

Let me educate you, if I build my house three years ago, and I renovate my house every three years, the materials I will purchased, would be purchased at the current market price. There is a difference between face me I face you house and flats. Face me I face you houses, the landlords or whom ever inherits the house do not renovate, so the house is always in a bad state, but for flats, for like myself, I renovate every three years and I paint every three years, so I will always increase my rent. Let me give you another instance, if you move into my house three years ago, and the rent was 400k, after three years, I renovate, renovating let's say your section alone cost me 150k, where do you think I will add 150k too? If I Renovate my house for you, then expect increasement in rent.

I appreciate your opinion, just that most landlords I know don't renovate
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by millionboi2: 5:50pm On Mar 26
Bizibi:
poor landlord?? Let me keep quiet till you experience it.
you should say that to the tenant that will experience me.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Gerrard59(m): 5:07am On Mar 28
folake4u:

My current place boasts of 17-18hrs of electricity and it's not in an estate.

Recently there was power outage during the weekend but we had uninterrupted power supply from Sunday till date.

pocohantas:

Yes, there are. The last time I told my friend of our power situation, her bf moved into my neighbourhood. So, I am gatekeeping.

Thanks for the response. E no too bad then. Na to hold money for rent.

1 Like

Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Gerrard59(m): 5:13am On Mar 28
Saviola86:

Ode

You are supposed to be the one to pay before the deadline. Let the landlord be reminded of your request for their bank details. You don't wait until you are reminded.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Saviola86: 7:58am On Mar 28
Gerrard59:

You are supposed to be the one to pay before the deadline. Let the landlord be reminded of your request for their bank details. You don't wait until you are reminded.

If I had my old phone I would have shown you a message dropped in our forum where landlord made it clear that nobody should pay money to him until he says so.

No dey talk wetin u no know. Just chill and pass
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by Gerrard59(m): 8:15am On Mar 28
Saviola86:

If I had my old phone I would have shown you a message dropped in our forum where landlord made it clear that nobody should pay money to him until he says so.

No dey talk wetin u no know. Just chill and pass

Then you state that in your initial post. The majority of landlords will be upset if they are the ones reminding their tenants to pay up after the deadline.
Re: Hardship: Rent Defaults Soar As Landlords, Tenants Clash by NovusHomo(m): 4:06pm On Mar 30
purples25:

Nigerian government and Nigerians get issues, all of us. Everyone is just for themselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Just Spent 1year And The Landlady Served Me Notice To Quit. What Should I Do? / How Much Does It Cost To Build A 5 Bed Room Flat / Ebute-Meta Building Tenants Given Quit Notice Before Collapse - Caretaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.