Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,466 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London (8119 Views)

Medview Passengers Coming Out After Their Plane Made An Emergency Landing / Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) / British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by prettyG: 10:50pm On Nov 15, 2011
Arik Air Restored

The British government has reportedly reissued Arik Air's landing slots in London.

News reaching us in the last few minutes indicate that the British government has just before the expiration of an ultimatum given by Nigeria, reinstated the full landing rights of Arik Air in London's Heathrow Airport.

It has also been confirmed that British Airways will henceforth offer a 20% reduction on Business Class tickets along the lucrative London-Lagos, London-Abuja routes.

This development is a victory for Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah who had insisted that the British respect the Bilateral Air Services Agreement between both countries.
http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/arik-wins-back-its-slots
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by OAM4J: 2:32am On Nov 16, 2011
Good one. Lets give kudos to GEJ for handling this well.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by maxtum(m): 3:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
After all this fight for Arik dem no go come dey respect we Nigerians wen fight for dem! hissing, well!! we try small sha!

Black power work for dem oyinbo!!!! lol!
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Pukkah: 3:22pm On Nov 16, 2011
To be honest, this has been well-handled. Well done.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by renewnaija(m): 3:27pm On Nov 16, 2011
A rare victory in a dispirited country.

Kudos to the aviation minister & GEJ.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Pukkah: 3:39pm On Nov 16, 2011
renewnaija:

A rare victory in a dispirited country.

Kudos to the aviation minister & GEJ.

You can imagine the great strides this country would make if it had a purposeful and tenacious leadership.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Akintola11(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
This is very good indeed, It is about time that we regain some forms of respect.

I saw the story in a weekly column.:http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/blog/achebe-snub-government

http://www.facebook.com/thinkafricapress
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ayodeji1(m): 3:44pm On Nov 16, 2011
i expected this move from them.cos british airways are in to make money and not do power tussle.thumbs up 4 we presido.i just pray he treats other issues as such,with integrity of nigeria and nigerians as key.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by meonbooty: 3:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
K'amu t'egan kuro, retardeeeen dara as president grin

Goodjob Odechukwu.

The only thing White people understand is fire for fire. If you do too much sme-sme, they will just walk over you like shyyt
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by wesley80(m): 3:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
I wonder what THISDAY'S Ijeoma Nwogwuwu would have to say if this is confirmed, the fifth columnist kicked up a near mini - storm in her back page column where she in a write up devoid of every semblance of professionalism, poured invectives on the person of the minister over her action. Her column prompted Arik to take out full page rejoinders in most national dailies this week. Now that the minister seems to have been vindicated I cant wait to read her next crap.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by cold(m): 4:01pm On Nov 16, 2011
Ok we'll give credit where it is due.GEJ weldone,u try smiley
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by anishe(m): 4:06pm On Nov 16, 2011
Kudos to the Aviation Minister. Keep it up and tell your boss to wake up too to the realities and challenges of governance.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ideylaff: 4:09pm On Nov 16, 2011
We dey praise anything sha 4 nija, any small thing na praise,

We know wetin Arik Problem be,  den no fit afford to run that route,

Its all paper over the cracks, we go soon see sef,

BA not my cup of tea as well but barking them up a wall will sure have its consequences
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by walcolm(m): 4:13pm On Nov 16, 2011
ideylaff:

BA not my cup of tea as well but barking them up a wall will sure have its consequences

what consequences?
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 4:16pm On Nov 16, 2011
Ideylaff I think you are wrong on this one. This goes beyond Arik; FG should make them reduce the Business Class fare by over 50%.
Just read the news article below and make your judgment.

"According to the statement, the Nigerian government described as unacceptable, a situation where the British Airways would charge passengers on first class from Lagos airport to Heathrow $9,846.19 as against $4,902.14 from Accra, Ghana to Heathrow."

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147865:nigeriabritain-meeting-on-basa-deadlocked-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by walcolm(m): 4:18pm On Nov 16, 2011
meonbooty:

K'amu t'egan kuro, retardeeeen dara as president grin

Goodjob Odechukwu.

The only thing White people understand is fire for fire. If you do too much sme-sme, they will just walk over you like shyyt
i totally agree with you.

the reason why they respect and fear china is becos the govt and people of china left them with no doubt that they will not condone their shyt by locking out the west for a long time. the earlier we start looking at the option the better it will be for us
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Rafaell(m): 4:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
Timely & well done, Princess Oduah. We need more of d likes of U who ar not ready 2compromise no matter d chalenge they ar faced wth, in discharge of their civic responsibilties.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by walcolm(m): 4:27pm On Nov 16, 2011
untainted:

Ideylaff I think you are wrong on this one. This goes beyond Arik; FG should make them reduce the Business Class fare by over 50%.
Just read the news article below and make your judgment.

"According to the statement, the Nigerian government described as unacceptable, a situation where the British Airways would charge passengers on first class from Lagos airport to Heathrow $9,846.19 as against $4,902.14 from Accra, Ghana to Heathrow."

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147865:nigeriabritain-meeting-on-basa-deadlocked-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2

must nigerians fly BA?

i dont believe a company should be told what price to sell their goods in a free market economy. why cant the aviation minister as a matter of national interest; help or facilitate a system that will enable Arik and Air Nigeria improve their services to the point where the thousands of Nigerians who fly the 21 BA flights weekly to and Fro UK will switch carriers?

if Arik and AirNigeria offer services that are at par wit BA at a cheaper cost, there will be no discussion
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 4:35pm On Nov 16, 2011
walcolm:

must nigerians fly BA?

i dont believe a company should be told what price to sell their goods in a free market economy. why cant the aviation minister as a matter of national interest; help or facilitate a system that will enable Arik and Air Nigeria improve their services to the point where the thousands of Nigerians who fly the 21 BA flights weekly to and Fro UK will switch carriers?

if Arik and AirNigeria offer services that are at par wit BA at a cheaper cost, there will be no discussion

I agree with your argument but as a consumer, will you pay the Nigerian first class rate ungrudgingly knowing full well the price it goes for in Ghana considering the distance.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 4:38pm On Nov 16, 2011
You should also know that "free market economy" doesn't mean governments abdicating their responsibilities
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by codedguy1(m): 4:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
untainted:

You should also know that "free market economy" doesn't mean governments abdicating their responsibilities

its not a matter of abdicating responsibilities, its more of of putting adequate structures in place for free market competition.

That route was not lucrative for Arik, thats why they were crying, using the landing slots that we as a country cannot fully utilise cos we have only one carrier.

See what BA has done, They have given Arik back there slots abi, and they have reduced their price by 20%, the little customers Arik was getting b4 now will swing to BA because of the 20% reduction in price. Does Arik have the same standard of service as BA? thats another question to be answered.

We just do things without thinking in this country.

They should, build refinaries, bring back Nigeria Airways, and other obvious projects instead of meddling in the business of a supposedly fre economy with pseudo-military approach.

BA might not be totally innocent in this whole brohaha but they seem to know how to get what they want eventually, we just keep reacting to situations, never being proactive.

Its a shame!
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by TenKobo1: 4:53pm On Nov 16, 2011
there is no clap! clap!! clap!!! emoticon here, i would have given Retardinho a million of them. After a week of a thousand unpardonable errors, one thing that warrants a big cheer.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by dancewith: 4:57pm On Nov 16, 2011
walcolm:

must nigerians fly BA?

There is a principle called consumer protection. It is not about a company offering its product at superior prices due to varying quality, but such superior quality should have standardized pricing across similar geographical areas. It is the responsibility of the government's watch dog to ensure this happens. Similar incidents prompted the anti-trust law.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by marcus1234: 5:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 5:21pm On Nov 16, 2011
dancewith:

There is a principle called consumer protection. It is not about a company offering its product at superior prices due to varying quality, but such superior quality should have standardized pricing across similar geographical areas. It is the responsibility of the government's watch dog to ensure this happens. Similar incidents prompted the anti-trust law.

Thank you so much. I have never had cause to fly through Accra but I can't imagine the type of infrastructural incentive that will warrant Accra paying less than half of what Lagos pays for the same distance. It really doesn't make sense.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Recheal(f): 5:29pm On Nov 16, 2011
wink wink,ds s nice sha.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by cold(m): 5:30pm On Nov 16, 2011
It has also been confirmed that British Airways will henceforth offer a 20% reduction on Business Class tickets along the lucrative London-Lagos, London-Abuja routes.
I think this should take care of the discrepancy between the Accra and Nigerian 1st class costs.At least to a large extent.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by 27naira(m): 5:45pm On Nov 16, 2011
She did what she's paid for.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by VoodooDoll(m): 5:47pm On Nov 16, 2011
GEJ, kudos,

Congrats for fighting for Arik (and their owners).  Now use the same urgency to fight for everyday Nigerians.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Siga: 5:49pm On Nov 16, 2011
Thumbs up GEJ !!, Now can u do the same on all issues I beg, At least I know you are not that slow, undecided
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ideylaff: 5:51pm On Nov 16, 2011
must nigerians fly BA?

@ walcom thanks 4 that bro,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dead Body Found In Arik Air / Nigerians That Live In Kosovo Rep. / Lagos To Commence Removal Of Abandoned, Accident Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.