Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,388 members, 7,819,396 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:34 PM

British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London (8122 Views)

Medview Passengers Coming Out After Their Plane Made An Emergency Landing / Man Prevents Arik Air From Taking Off In Abuja (Photos) / British Govt Creates 1,000 Visas Opening For Talented Migrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 5:52pm On Nov 16, 2011
cold:

It has also been confirmed that British Airways will henceforth offer a 20% reduction on Business Class tickets along the lucrative London-Lagos, London-Abuja routes.
I think this [b]should take care of the discrepancy [/b]between the Accra and Nigerian 1st class costs.At least to a large extent.

Not actually. Where should there be this 'discrepency' of almost $5k?
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ideylaff: 6:19pm On Nov 16, 2011
A can of Coke in Lille is 4 to 5 times cheaper than a can in Monaco, the french government have not instructed CocaCola to sell it cheaper in Monaco, have they?,
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by untainted: 6:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
ideylaff:

A can of Coke in Lille is 4 to 5 times cheaper than a can in Monaco, the french government have not instructed CocaCola to sell it cheaper in Monaco, have they?,

Assuming your claims are true, you must know that cost of living even in Nigeria differs by location. Restaurants in Abuja don't charge same price with let say, their counterparts in Abakaliki
But I bet you that the French government will not accept a disparity as much as exists between Accra and Lagos.
$5000 is not N5000. Haba
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Guk: 6:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
Is this a joke or something Why are Nigerians easily fooled? Your govt does a U Turn over a situation they took a rash decision on in the first place and people are applauding them. No wonder our leaders take us for a ride. Its simply becos we are easily fooled.

The story in Daily Times is kindergaten journalism,

This is the real story as delivered by the S.A to the Minister:

“The issues are being resolved and negotiations with the British government are ongoing. In the meantime, BA flights will continue seven times a week to Lagos until the end of December,” the Special Assistant to the Minister, Mr. Joel Obi, told Reuters.

Although the UK government had promised to assist the Nigerian carrier recover its landing and take-off slots at Heathrow, the officials, however, insisted that the slots had to be paid for.  

The development, which did not go down well with the Nigerian officials, it was learnt, made the government to consider making foreign carriers operating in the country to also pay for landing and take off slots at the MMIA

A statement issued by Obi, however, confirmed the latest development.

The statement read in part, “The Nigerian government and the British authorities held high-level negotiations yesterday (Monday) and this morning. These discussions are still ongoing. The outcomes thus far are as follows:

With respect to slot at Heathrow airport, seven slots per week from Abuja have been secured for Arik Air at prevailing commercial rates. As you are aware, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria is renovating and upgrading its airports. These efforts will require a review of current slot allocations and additional funding. Towards this end, FAAN is considering applying commercial slot rates for slots into Murtala Mohammed International Airport in the spirit of the Bilateral Air Service Agreement.”

The statement added, “With respect to the high fares charged by British Airways and the associated regional imbalance, the airline made an offer of a 20 per cent reduction in the lowest Business Class fare between Nigeria and the UK.
“The Nigerian side considered this as insufficient. The Nigerian government is still very concerned about the regional price disparity. We still strongly believe that this regional imbalance should be dismantled. In other words, BA should offer the same or similar fares from Nigeria to the UK as is the case in any other equidistant destination within West Africa.”
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by BigMeat2: 7:04pm On Nov 16, 2011
This saga will forever continue because some of us nigerians are hell bent in assisting the foreign airlines to proper charge us exorbitant prices
It's so sad when we pay more in air fares from London-Lagos a 6hr flight, compared with London-South Africa a 10hr flight
If we have our own national airline that is been supported by the government, then this kind of day light robbery will stop.
angry
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ideylaff: 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2011
We are basing our arguments on distance which does not apply when it comes to Airlines,

I've had this conversation with people in the business b4 and they say because Ghana is next to Nigeria does not mean the fare should be the same

Yes we are bn fleeced with high prices I agree, but what we are doing/basing our arguments on is like
going to your employer with the time sheet of someone who does just about the same work as you but earns more and then you request the employer sorts you out on the same wage

If we want a reduction it's got nothing to do with Ghana,, cos then the airline can tell you something else or wriggle out of the argument by giving you another type of technical point which they always do anyway
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by VoodooDoll(m): 7:34pm On Nov 16, 2011
Ghana doesn't have our population or demand.

If you want the price of flights to come down, then Nigeria needs to do :

1) Issue more slots to capable airlines;
2) The slots issued must be on a use it or lose it basis;
3) Local airlines should be given tax breaks and incentives to compete;
4) Regulators should monitor BA and VA etc for anti-competitive acts;
5) Airport facilities and infrastructure should be upgraded to make the turnaround time quicker; and
6) Contracts, agreements and understandings should be honoured.

I suspect PIGS would fly first and Hell may freeze over before the above is implemented by the FG.

If state governments (coordinating with FG) are however given the above tasks then more likely to happen.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Gbenge77(m): 8:59pm On Nov 16, 2011
Excellent
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by rhymz(m): 9:24pm On Nov 16, 2011
Better than swallowing humble pie all the time; whatever the repercussion is going to be we will face it, enough is a enough.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by horny4u(f): 9:33pm On Nov 16, 2011
VoodooDoll:

5) Airport facilities and infrastructure should be upgraded to make the turnaround time quicker; and

I suspect PIGS would fly first and Hell may freeze over before the above is implemented by the FG.

If state governments (coordinating with FG) are however given the above tasks then more likely to happen.

I love your suggestion and think if it is implemented it will go a long way to reduce flight prices but that pigs will fly ke, 9ja will soon be very good pretty soon sef, lets be positive.

Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by mbulela: 9:37pm On Nov 16, 2011
untainted:

Ideylaff I think you are wrong on this one. This goes beyond Arik; FG should make them reduce the Business Class fare by over 50%.
Just read the news article below and make your judgment.

"According to the statement, the Nigerian government described as unacceptable, a situation where the British Airways would charge passengers on first class from Lagos airport to Heathrow $9,846.19 as against $4,902.14 from Accra, Ghana to Heathrow."

http://dailytrust.com.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147865:nigeriabritain-meeting-on-basa-deadlocked-&catid=1:news&Itemid=2
Nigerian consumers amaze me. are you shareholders in BA? Can't you vote with your feet and see what will happen? there are several options with saner prices yet you want govt to waste its precious time fighting a battle that only you can win.
Let BA  fly empty 1st class cabin for one straight week and see if they will not take out newspaper adverts in all dailies in Nigeria announcing competitive 1st class rates.
they are charging such silly rates because folks are willing to pay and if they are willing, who is complaining and why complain?
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Paentera(m): 9:58pm On Nov 16, 2011
Reminds me of the HiTV - DSTV rumble , there'll emerge a big loser and a big winner sometime soon
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by otokx(m): 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
so its all a lie, government should also slap same commercial rate at BA
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by horny4u(f): 10:00pm On Nov 16, 2011
mbulela:

Nigerian consumers amaze me. are you shareholders in BA? Can't you vote with your feet and see what will happen? there are several options with saner prices yet you want govt to waste its precious time fighting a battle that only you can win.
Let BA  fly empty 1st class cabin for one straight week and see if they will not take out newspaper adverts in all dailies in Nigeria announcing competitive 1st class rates.
they are charging such silly rates because folks are willing to pay and if they are willing, who is complaining and why complain?

Such silliness , a friend of mine spent N1M for economy tickets to London for herself and her 2 young kids. I travel at least twice a year to 9ja and never paid such "sillitude" prices and i fly virgin , I am not dissing paying it , but please do not sing help me dear govt when you could have shopped savvy.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by cheikh: 10:46pm On Nov 16, 2011
walcolm
must nigerians fly BA?

i dont believe a company should be told what price to sell their goods in a free market economy. why cant the aviation minister as a matter of national interest; help or facilitate a system that will enable Arik and Air Nigeria improve their services to the point where the thousands of Nigerians who fly the 21 BA flights weekly to and Fro UK will switch carriers?

if Arik and AirNigeria offer services that are at par wit BA at a cheaper cost, there will be no discussion

@^^ You are on point bro! We are just too lazy to see the real issues -  so called "quality" service delivery/assurance against the crass service delivery of Arik + ineptitude, lack of imagination/creativity and capacity which makes BA pricing justifiable. Majority of the purported first class customers are mainly our unpatriotic senators and government officials like NNPC staffers. There's nothing to celebrate in this matter other than it highlights again our general lack of capacity in the aviation economy, ineptitude and the unpatriotic conspicuous consumption of our government officials for first class flights. The minister may be patriotic in her actions but I cannot vouch for the rest of them including Luck Joe grin.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by boyt1: 11:39pm On Nov 16, 2011
GEJ, cheers!. this is the type of action Nigerians expect from you, and not Rhetorical devices speech.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by tiwola: 2:20am On Nov 17, 2011
See what we can achieve if GEJ had a little more backbone? Now let him tell all those oil bloc awardees that the free lunch is over, repair the refineries, build new ones, start exporting processed crude and tackle the power situation.

Or maybe that's a bit much to expect,
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by runsgirl: 3:53am On Nov 17, 2011
Good work
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by mbulela: 7:56am On Nov 17, 2011
horny4u:

Such silliness , a friend of mine spent N1M for economy tickets to London for herself and her 2 young kids. I travel at least twice a year to 9ja and never paid such "sillitude" prices and i fly virgin , I am not dissing paying it , but please do not sing help me dear govt when you could have shopped savvy.
i just tire.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by tiwiex(m): 8:05am On Nov 17, 2011
I partially agree with Walcolm on the free market approach. If our carriers were effective then BA would be forced to reduce price. But like I said partially. The regulatory authority still has a big role to play. Consumer protection in Nigeria is non-existent. This is a fight they could have fought evenn before now. After all we always knew of the price gap. If you visit the uk arm of the consmer agency on oft.gov.uk, u go see Government at work. For example, as BA has reduced by 20% now, there is no harm in challenging BA to refund that 20% to its customers with an pr-agreed purchase date. I have seen such cases on oft. So, Walcolm, I agree but with a docile Government who are not clear of their functuions, we would always be screwed. Why can't BA reduce by 40% and come close to Ghana? What is the argument against that? Typical Naija, they reduce small and we forget that it is still much higher than what is charged in Ghana.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Konnektions146(m): 8:55am On Nov 17, 2011
horny4u:

I love your suggestion and think if it is implemented it will go a long way to reduce flight prices but that pigs will fly ke, 9ja will soon be very good pretty soon sef, lets be positive.

i belive!!!

VoodooDoll:

i agree with you, let our govt give incentives and provide a conducive atmosphere for local biz so they can compete favourably in the international market and even locally.
imagine the issue of Refinery license, DPR is busy collecting renewal fee even wen the companies has got challenges in setting up the refineries , y not support them and take your money when they are operational.

I still believe e go better!!!
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Nobody: 9:04am On Nov 17, 2011
//
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Reptyle(m): 9:50am On Nov 17, 2011
Good on you GEJ!!! grin
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by ideylaff: 12:37pm On Nov 17, 2011
If we are talking about the same ARIK that I had the misfortune of flying for the first time 2 days ago, then I anticipate that is is only a matter of time before they will be the ones locking up the place and handing back the keys.

On the way out there was no entertainment system for the whole of the flight
Crap food - and for me to complain about food then it means that it is really bad cos I am not a fussy eater.
Limited drinks
non chalant cabin crew and they didn't look like people I could trust to handle an emergency. They didn't seem to get on with each other and oozed zero confidence.
The only plus going for them was that we left slam on time & their higher than average luggage allowance

On the way back we boarded late and into a boiling plane because according to them the air conditioning system only worked with the engines switched on and the engines cant be switched on because the pilot was stuck in traffic.

We were left on the plane in terrible conditions with kids crying and people sweating for half an hour and with no cold water.

Again no entertainment system for the whole of the flight
Cabin crew looked rather thin on ground and I counted only about 8 of them looking after the whole plane
Crap food
Limited drinks
very slow/non existent service - ask them for water or a blanket and they never come back and it took them 45 minutes after we had finshed eating for them to pack up the trays.

Will I ever fly ARIK again? even if they slashed their prices by half and doubled their baggage allowance -  The answer is a CAPITAL NO

You just described ARIK as I know them,

whats with this excuse of them forgetting the Entertainment system, all the time, same excuse, bn going on now for over 7 to 8 months.

A few of my staff had something to do with Arik in Nigeria and so flew Arik to Abuja to tie up the loose ends of the deal.

The flight said Arik to Lagos, you wont believe mid air the pilot suddenly said on the PA system, we will be stopping over in Abuja to drop some passeangers. Thank you.

Yes they did and guess what no one disembarked, they actually picked up 4rm people from Abuja and then took them to Abuja.

This a flight that clearly said London to Lagos, my brothers oooo

On the flight A passenger asked for Apple Juice and got Orange, after the passenger said to the Air hostess, please madam this is Orange Juice, I asked for Apple Juice. The Hostess replied Juice is Juice, if you don't want it , I cant help you. "in a very aggressive and rude manner" embarassed

I just hope this fight by the FG is not really for Arik but on a principle basis that the other Airlines should stop fleecing us with high fares, Nothing more,

because a fight for Arik as a company is really not worth it
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 17, 2011
//
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by jcccccc: 3:44pm On Nov 17, 2011
This is good for britain. Thanks for the aviation minister, if not for her stance, the criminal britons will continue cheating us.
They should apply similar measures to visa and every other sphere of life. Bilateral agreements, what you give to us is what you get. This way people will start respecting nigerians.

For indian, lebanese and chinese people too people too, we have to stop them from importing and doing businesses that our people can do. Any foreign company here must employ 100% nigerians so that we can know who wants the black man to develop and who does not.

The number of nigerians you give citizenship in your country should determine how many of your people that we give citizenship.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:05pm On Nov 17, 2011
Nice one GEJ
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by aribisala0(m): 7:52pm On Nov 17, 2011
well it is turue.,., juice is juice
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by Limaoscar: 10:21pm On Nov 17, 2011
Good News!!Next step will be for Nigeria to return to her glory days, re-instate a credible, respectable , service oriented airline, Like NIGERIA AIRWAYS back in the days.

Train our own Airline staff, Pilots, Aeronautical Engineers, Airport Managers. Get things working at the Airport. Clean up our image at the Airport and make all our holiday resort destination attractive.

I AM NOT AND WILL NEVER BE AN ARIK FAN, at least not at the moment. I am however proud of the Nigerian Aviation ministry for taking such firm stand to safe us some blushes on this matter.
Re: British Govt Re-issues Arik Air's Landing Slots In London by amykelly: 5:54pm On Nov 21, 2011
If we are talking about the same ARIK that I had the misfortune of flying for the first time 2 days ago, then I anticipate that is is only a matter of time before they will be the ones locking up the place and handing back the keys.

On the way out there was no entertainment system for the whole of the flight
Crap food - and for me to complain about food then it means that it is really bad cos I am not a fussy eater.
Limited drinks
non chalant cabin crew and they didnt look like people I could trust to handle an emergency. They didnt seem to get on with each other and oozed zero confidence.
The only plus going for them was that we left baang on time & their higher than average luggage allowance

On the way back we boarded late and into a boiling plane because according to them the air conditioning system only worked with the engines switched on and the engines cant be switched on because the pilot was stuck in traffic.

We were left on the plane in terrible conditions with kids crying and people sweating for half an hour and with no cold water.

Again no entertainment system for the whole of the flight
Cabin crew looked rather thin on ground and I counted only about 8 of them looking after the whole plane
Crap food
Limited drinks
very slow/non existent service - ask them for water or a blanket and they never come back and it took them 45 minutes after we had finshed eating for them to pack up the trays.

Will I ever fly ARIK again? even if they slashed their prices by half and doubled their baggage allowance - The answer is a CAPITAL NO

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin This is sooo hilarious!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

NANS Denies Reports of Planned Protest on Third Mainland Bridge / Dead Body Found In Arik Air / Nigerians That Live In Kosovo Rep.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.