Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,954 members, 7,814,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:38 AM

I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. (2009 Views)

Finally! Got My First Freelance Work / Finally Got A Tech Job / Finally Got A Badass Laptop After Months Of Saving, Come Celebrate With Me(pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 1:07pm On Mar 31
zagorakis:

What is the best path, what path would you advise a beginner to tow.

For me, I started with HTML and CSS, then I took an introduction to Computer Science course with Harvard (available on edx) where I learned the basics of C, Python and SQL. After that I took JavaScript and currently learning React. At the same time, I'm also learning data structures and algorithms using C and my next target is C# and the dotnet framework. A lot of people just go with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. And then they pick up MongoDB, Express, React (or Vue or Angular) and Node.js and right now, that field is over saturated. Most beginners run away from things like, Java and C#, that's where you should be heading to; just pick one of them and be very proficient at it

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by qtguru(m): 1:34pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

For me, I started with HTML and CSS, then I took an introduction to Computer Science course with Harvard (available on edx) where I learned the basics of C, Python and SQL. After that I took JavaScript and currently learning React. At the same time, I'm also learning data structures and algorithms using C and my next target is C# and the dotnet framework. A lot of people just go with HTML, CSS and JavaScript. And then they pick up MongoDB, Express, React (or Vue or Angular) and Node.js and right now, that field is over saturated. Most beginners run away from things like, Java and C#, that's where you should be heading to; just pick one of them and be very proficient at it

lot of C# jobs in EU, but I prefer Java because of how easy it is for Linux

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 2:27pm On Mar 31
qtguru:

lot of C# jobs in EU, but I prefer Java because of how easy it is for Linux

I'm still having a hard time picking between both of them, but I only chose C# because Java's syntax is very verbose, and most people just hate Java for one reason or the other. But on the other hand, I prefer Linux to Windows, and that's why I'm still considering Java. Aside the reason you gave, is there any other one why you prefer Java?
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 2:34pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

I'm still having a hard time picking between both of them, but I only chose C# because Java's syntax is very verbose, and most people just hate Java for one reason or the other. But on the other hand, I prefer Linux to Windows, and that's why I'm still considering Java. Aside the reason you gave, is there any other one why you prefer Java?

C# .Net core from version 3.1 and above and .Net 5 and above runs on Linux and Mac machines.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 2:43pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

C# .Net core from version 3.1 and above and .Net 5 and above runs on Linux and Mac machines.

Nice, thanks boss. I have always seen people online say C# and .Net is a windows-specific language
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 2:57pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

Nice, thanks boss. I have always seen people online say C# and .Net is a windows-specific language

No worries. That was in the past that C# was for windows platform only which stopped with C# .Net MVC 4.8 which is now legacy. Now C# .Net Core and C# .Net 5 and above runs on Linux and Mac.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by qtguru(m): 2:59pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

I will say because Java is everywhere and I've have had more experience with Java in terms on J2ME, Processing, Spring boot and swing, Java is verbose but the new Java API is okay especially with Lombok packages, but Kotlin might fit, C# too is not bad just that I've spent more time with Java.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 3:08pm On Mar 31
qtguru:

I will say because Java is everywhere and I've have had more experience with Java in terms on J2ME, Processing, Spring boot and swing, Java is verbose but the new Java API is okay especially with Lombok packages, but Kotlin might fit, C# too is not bad just that I've spent more time with Java.

I understand now, and I will just stick with C#. Thank you very much for your response boss, I appreciate it
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 3:12pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

No worries. That was in the past that C# was for windows platform only which stopped with C# .Net MVC 4.8 which is now legacy. Now C# .Net Core and C# .Net 5 and above runs on Linux and Mac.

I see. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it has cleared my confusion about the whole thing
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Lorayne(m): 3:15pm On Mar 31
qtguru:

Hey boss.... Are both languages in demand?... I'm asking if it's good for someone to learn them for better job prospects
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by qtguru(m): 3:17pm On Mar 31
Lorayne:

Hey boss.... Are both languages in demand?... I'm asking if it's good for someone to learn them for better job prospects

Yes they are, I get recruiters reaching out, Frontend is too saturated but mostly in the EU/Canada regions
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Lorayne(m): 3:24pm On Mar 31
qtguru:

Yes they are, I get recruiters reaching out, Frontend is too saturated but mostly in the EU/Canada regions
I got a tech job in an organization... I've already told them I want to be in their software engineering department since I've done the alx SE program and they use c# for their backend... I'm not planning to stay there for long so I want to use like a year to learn as much as possible then start looking for opportunities... I just need things to learn that will make moving on easier.

Have any advice?
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by CORPSEFUCKER: 3:47pm On Mar 31
Lorayne:

C# is more in demand
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by qtguru(m): 3:50pm On Mar 31
Lorayne:
I got a tech job in an organization... I've already told them I want to be in their software engineering department since I've done the alx SE program and they use c# for their backend... I'm not planning to stay there for long so I want to use like a year to learn as much as possible then start looking for opportunities... I just need things to learn that will make moving on easier.

Have any advice?

Yes you are lucky, my advice

Read on

.Net core Dependency injection
Design patterns
The basic C# structure meaning understanding extension, delegates and core .net
C# unlike Java has some features that are unique to the language

The some docker because you will need to learn how to deploy .net code

some Algorithm and DSA works

then some notes about Nugets and packages, at some point you will have to understand how to build in packages.

Just get a .NET core curriculum and everyday watch a Youtube video on each concept and write them down. you don't have to know it all 100% as long as you know enough to reference them when you need it.

I don't keep 100% of code in my head, but I always read them to get the high level knowledge enough to understand the concept most cram which is where it fails.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Lorayne(m): 3:57pm On Mar 31
qtguru:

Yes you are lucky, my advice

Read on

.Net core Dependency injection
Design patterns
The basic C# structure meaning understanding extension, delegates and core .net
C# unlike Java has some features that are unique to the language

The some docker because you will need to learn how to deploy .net code

some Algorithm and DSA works

then some notes about Nugets and packages, at some point you will have to understand how to build in packages.

Just get a .NET core curriculum and everyday watch a Youtube video on each concept and write them down. you don't have to know it all 100% as long as you know enough to reference them when you need it.

I don't keep 100% of code in my head, but I always read them to get the high level knowledge enough to understand the concept most cram which is where it fails.

Thanks a lot for this.

I've learnt C before and I see the syntax is quite similar. Hopefully, in 3 months I can start building projects.

If you have any resources you can recommend, I'll be grateful.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Lorayne(m): 4:00pm On Mar 31
CORPSEFUCKER:

C# is more in demand

Nice.... Let it still be in demand after a year biko. Don't want a situation where after my learning Dem go say Dem no need us again
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 4:19pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

I see. Thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it has cleared my confusion about the whole thing

No problem. I understand, to make it clearer. You have all these versions of C# .Net that run on Linux, Mac, Android and iOS.

.Net Core 1.0 to 3.1 - Now old and Microsoft has stopped updating these versions
.Net 5 - Now old and Microsoft has stopped updating these version
.Net 6 - .Net7 - Microsoft will soon stop updating these versions
.Net 8 to .Net 10 - Microsoft is still updating these versions

They are for web, desktop, mobile and console applications - Has .Net Core MVC for web applications, Razor pages for web applications, WPF for desktop applications, Xamarin/.NET MAUI for mobile applications, Web Services, Blazor for PWAs, WCF, Python, Class library, SQL Server Project etc.

When stating with .Net you might find it easy to start with an .Net Core or .Net 5 and above Module-View-Controller project.

You will find a lot of good resources here on YouTube to get you started:
https://www.youtube.com/@Csharp-video-tutorialsBlogspot
https://www.youtube.com/@IAmTimCorey

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Alphabyte3: 4:31pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

No problem. I understand, to make it clearer. You have all these versions of C# .Net that run on Linux, Mac, Android and iOS.

.Net Core 1.0 to 3.1 - Now old and Microsoft has stopped updating these versions

They are for web, desktop, mobile and console applications - Has .Net Core MVC, Razor pages for web application, WPF for desktop applications, Xamarin for mobile applications, Web Services, Blazor for PWAs, WCF, Python, Class library, SQL Server Project etc.

When stating with .Net you might find it easy to start with an .Net Core or .Net 5 and above Module-View-Controller project.

Goodbye xamarin welcome.NET MAUI . Xamarin support will end on May 1, 2024 for all Xamarin SDKs .
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 4:35pm On Mar 31
Alphabyte3:

Goodbye xamarin welcome.NET MAUI . Xamarin support will end on May 1, 2024 for all Xamarin SDKs .

Thanks, I was going to add NET MAUI but skipped my mind.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by Alphabyte3: 4:40pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

Thanks, I was going to add NET MAUI but skipped my mind.

Alright!!!
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 4:46pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

They are for web, desktop, mobile and console applications - Has .Net Core MVC, Razor pages for web application, WPF for desktop applications, Xamarin/.NET MAUI for mobile applications, Web Services, Blazor for PWAs, WCF, Python, Class library, SQL Server Project etc.

I truly appreciate the effort you put into explaining all these. I have saved the YouTube channels you recommended and will check them out when I start learning. If I may ask, what happens to the programs that are written with versions that are no longer supported? Do they keep working as before or are upgraded to the latest version?
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by virginboy1(m): 4:52pm On Mar 31
thesicilian:
You've got the tech skills. Now what you need are behavioural and communication skills.
grin

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 5:01pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

I truly appreciate the effort you put into explaining all these. I have saved the YouTube channels you recommended and will check them out when I start learning. If I may ask, what happens to the programs that are written with versions that are no longer supported? Do they keep working as before or are upgraded to the latest version?

Good question. I will explain. When Linux, Mac, Android or iOS releases a new version then there might be soon issues with the application running on these new versions of those platforms, so if the .Net version is still being updated by Microsoft then Microsoft will release a fix for the issues, but if Microsoft has stopped updating the .Net version then is either you upgrade your application to a newer version of .Net that Microsoft still provides an update for or on the alternative you might be able to find a hack to solve the issue as a quick fix.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by CORPSEFUCKER: 5:03pm On Mar 31
Lorayne:

Nice.... Let it still be in demand after a year biko. Don't want a situation where after my learning Dem go say Dem no need us again

C# can't fade out so easily

It'll be a thing till java is dead and laid to rest
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 5:31pm On Mar 31
MindHacker9009:

Good question. I will explain. When Linux, Mac, Android or iOS releases a new version then there might be soon issues with the application running on these new versions of those platforms, so if the .Net version is still being updated by Microsoft then Microsoft will release a fix for the issues, but if Microsoft has stopped updating the .Net version then is either you upgrade your application to a newer version of .Net that Microsoft still provides an update for or on the alternative you might be able to find a hack to solve the issue as a quick fix.

That's very typical of Microsoft, it's similar to what they do with Windows updates. I guess the best choice is to always update to the latest .Net version
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by MindHacker9009(m): 5:37pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

That's very typical of Microsoft, it's similar to what they do with Windows updates. I guess the best choice is to always update to the latest .Net version

You right the best option is to update to the latest version of .Net version.
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by zagorakis(m): 6:34pm On Mar 31
KushLyon:

Beautiful, thank you for this, Actually, I have started gathering resources to learn python, I will finish learning it then move to Java. Thank you for the suggestion
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by zagorakis(m): 6:37pm On Mar 31
CORPSEFUCKER:

Learn C then Cpp
They said C is not beginner friendly, what do you think?
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by KushLyon(m): 7:27pm On Mar 31
zagorakis:

Its exactly why you should learn it. I'm glad that my first programming language is C because it made learning Python and JavaScript so much easier. C is very low level and will teach you how things really work in a computer (memory management and all that) which is something that is heavily abstracted in high level languages like Python and JavaScript

1 Like

Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by ekehopp2: 7:33pm On Mar 31
I can't understand why the spambot hid my previous comment and banned me for a day. Probably because I quoted the original post?

Anyways wanted to say congrats to the OP Devdevdev.
She put in the work from Oct 2022 to Mar 2024.
Truly e no easy, she has all bragging rights.
I'm right behind her though.
Good luck to everyone on this same path.
May we reap the fruits of our labour in no time. wink
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by CORPSEFUCKER: 8:12pm On Mar 31
zagorakis:

Not true , it's except if you are not a man
Re: I Finally Got A Job. Haters Should Bury Their Heads In Shame. by CaveAdullam: 7:23am On Apr 01
KushLyon:

Anytime you are about to start C#, please, holla me. Better, I will be following.

The language looks "exciting".

I would like to learn it too.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Posiworld Free Sublime Text License Keys (sallah Gift ) / Object Oriented Programming / How Far Can I Code With My Phone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.