Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,766 members, 7,831,458 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin (20417 Views)

Lagos Mobile Blood Bank Vehicle (Pictures) / Check Pathology Department Of LASUTH If You Are Looking For You Loved Ones / 37-Year-Old New Mum Dies Of Coronavirus At LASUTH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by nedekid: 1:29pm On Mar 30
Iamzik:

Then people should not be forced to donate blood Until when they need it.

Why should I donate blood in advance and then have to buy blood again when it is required?
It just does not make sense.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by nedekid: 1:32pm On Mar 30
AareGaa:

Carry your frustration commot here
Nigeria is not a failed nation.
It's even your kinsmen that are perpetrating 90% of the crimes in Nigeria
You must sha find a way to infuse tribalism. undecided
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Foodhub2023: 1:36pm On Mar 30
[quote author=nlfpmod post=129180357]

Lola Okunin[/quote
I have my own share of this story in Kubwa general hospital it's really a fraud. I revenge when my daughter need to do some test at the Lab and der want to play smartness omo see as Slap just dey rain like water until der call police and base on who I be i return after 2 munites and der all apologize
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Father4all: 1:36pm On Mar 30
Take them to court. Same thing as LUTH. donated two pints of blood through proxy. Then during my surgery, blood wasn't used because my body didn't need it. Then after the surgery, they did not want to give me back the blood my proxy donated or the money paid to my proxy. Told them I will take them to court. The idiots started begging. Last last sha, forfeit it to them. But I put a good fight. Forfeited it because couldn't be going there always
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Tallesty1(m): 1:53pm On Mar 30
folake4u:

Yes oh.
They said for screening and miscellaneous. grin
SMH.
Corruption don finish this country and almost everyone is guilty.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by folake4u(f): 2:16pm On Mar 30
Tallesty1:
SMH.

Corruption don finish this country and almost everyone is guilty.

Lol.

I know right.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by TrackerSK: 2:36pm On Mar 30
Chikel20000:
Lagos again
Are you high?
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by April4th(m): 2:41pm On Mar 30
Almost all the government owned hospitals in Lagos is guilty of this, not just only LASUTH.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by iamtoofan: 3:03pm On Mar 30
Samirana360:
If u don't have enough money and u r sick, don't cross lasuth or luth..... Those people dey play with persin life oo

Luth is even worst, you will suffer all kind of depression.. mentally, physically, financially and spiritually plus militant mosquitoes
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by CRNetwork(m): 3:08pm On Mar 30
The challenges are from people wheeled in with emergencies requiring urgent transfusion who can't wait but must be transfused irrespective of whether they have money or not. These include pregnancy complications and accident victims that are prioritized during Triage.
Even if you donate 10 pints of blood preoperatively and there is a more serious emergency, it will be attended to first These unplanned cases are the greatest recipient from blood bank. About 30% of women receiving blood transfusion in labor ward have no money and no body yet its compulsory that they are treated
If the blood you donated is no longer there , you should thank God because you may have saved an indigent patient in emergency
Shady deals are usually minimal
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by aviara: 4:07pm On Mar 30
This is part of how Lagos makes the bogus IGR
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by aviara: 4:12pm On Mar 30
CRNetwork:
The challenges are from people wheeled in with emergencies requiring urgent transfusion who can't wait but must be transfused irrespective of whether they have money or not. These include pregnancy complications and accident victims that are prioritized during Triage.
Even if you donate 10 pints of blood preoperatively and there is a more serious emergency, it will be attended to first These unplanned cases are the greatest recipient from blood bank. About 30% of women receiving blood transfusion in labor ward have no money and no body yet its compulsory that they are treated
If the blood you donated is no longer there , you should thank God because you may have saved an indigent patient in emergency
Shady deals are usually minimal

So Mr A donates blood for his own treatment and the blood is used for Mr B. So Mr A should die while Mr B lives. What if Mr A didn't donate where would they have seen blood for Mr B? The hospital should have their own blood bank for such emergencies and not robbing Paul to pay Peter.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by harjay1986: 4:26pm On Mar 30
3kay945:

You are funny. Your blood won't *misbehave* in someone who share same group.
Let's assume your curse come to pass, don't you know it is the patient that will die So what's your point?! undecided

My point is that those hospital are wicked imagine, I bought the said blood so am willing to give it for free to next patient but they will still collect money from the patient

1 Like

Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by nedekid: 4:34pm On Mar 30
NoToPile:

People need to be enlightened more because a lot of people don't even understand all these you are saying,

Lots don't even understand why they are paying when they need the blood. Some know it's screening fee because they were told at some point, most feel they are being cheated.
Those that work in blood banks should speak up.

Lots don't understand that blood expires too.

I just belive the solution is if there's excess supply of blood all this won't happen. It's because it's scarce.
It is called a blood bank. You deposit blood and when needed, you should atleast equal dose of blood.
If you deposit your cash in the bank, 6 months laster, your come to withdraw, is it the came excert notes you deposited you will be given? No, you get it from a pool of funds accumulated from other depositors.
Same thing with the blood bank, you deposit blood not donate in this case. Your blood is given to others that have donated earlier that needs it now, few months down the line when you need yours, it ought to be given to you from the pool of deposited blood. The issue of your deposited blood expired is not tangible then.
I think the major problem is the staff selling the blood and profiting off it, as in a bank cannot give out more than it has as it will be insolvent.

1 Like

Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Iamzik: 5:02pm On Mar 30
NoToPile:

The payment is for screening not the blood you are getting.
Whether it is donated in advance or at the point it's required you will pay for the blood gotten.

Blood issues can be one big wahala in general hospitals.

And people hardly donate, blood is not like drugs one can buy there has to be a supply. Once no supply it will be scarce hence the wahala we have here and there.

Even if the person has money if there's no blood what will happen?

I'm not sure that you and I read the same article
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by maasoap(m): 5:19pm On Mar 30
Obito555:
They keep selling the blood ppl donated for free that's just the plan truth..this is too bad for our health care system the corruption has eaten inside All Nigerian's bone marrow

You read report the at all? It is not donated for free, it is like you're buying two pints for the LASUTH lab, only for them to resell it to their accomplices outside where you will be directed to go and pay for it for the second time. grin grin grin. It is a messed up situation
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by maasoap(m): 5:26pm On Mar 30
I don't think you understood a word in the report you read above.

NoToPile:

The payment is for screening not the blood you are getting.

15k for screening each pint of blood? May be you are right though.

Whether it is donated in advance or at the point it's required you will pay for the blood gotten.

You already donated two pints in advance, why making you pay again? Does it even make sense to you?

Blood issues can be one big wahala in general hospitals.

No, it is not. The arrangement is fantastic, corruption is the problem here.

And people hardly donate, blood is not like drugs one can buy there has to be a supply. Once no supply it will be scarce hence the wahala we have here and there.

Even if the person has money if there's no blood what will happen?
That's why they make the patients' people donate blood in advance. Sometimes, patients relatives would donate and they wouldn't need that blood again for a number of reasons
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by NoToPile: 5:46pm On Mar 30
nedekid:

It is called a blood bank. You deposit blood and when needed, you should atleast equal dose of blood.
If you deposit your cash in the bank, 6 months laster, your come to withdraw, is it the came excert notes you deposited you will be given? No, you get it from a pool of funds accumulated from other depositors.
Same thing with the blood bank, you deposit blood not donate in this case. Your blood is given to others that have donated earlier that needs it now, few months down the line when you need yours, it ought to be given to you from the pool of deposited blood. The issue of your deposited blood expired is not tangible then.
I think the major problem is the staff selling the blood and profiting off it, as in a bank cannot give out more than it has as it will be insolvent.

Let's even leave the racketeering aside.

The donation is meant to guarantee the availability of the no of pints you donated.

The issue always is at the point the blood is needed, there might not be blood available because other patients had used it.

When emergencies occur they won't wait to ask if they have donated or not, blood available at that point will be used to treat them and then those who donated might have nothing to use when it's time for them to use it. . Whether this is right or wrong is another thing entirely.

It still about supply. Point is in some cases donating does not guarantee blood will be available when the person needs it Which can be very heartbreaking

Is it meant to available - yes.

What if it's not then what happens? If there's excess supply we won't be having this discussion.

I did a little bit of training at Blood bank so I saw how the issues go, as far back as 09.

When the train collided with the BRT bus last year there were calls for blood donation if there was excess supply I doubt there would be such calls.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by NoToPile: 5:50pm On Mar 30
maasoap:
I don't think you understood a word in the report you read above.

15k for screening each pint of blood? May be you are right though.

You already donated two pints in advance, why making you pay again? Does it even make sense to you?

No, it is not. The arrangement is fantastic, corruption is the problem here.

That's why they make the patients' people donate blood in advance. Sometimes, patients relatives would donate and they wouldn't need that blood again for a number of reasons

Wrong @bolded.

All the blood patients relatives donate can be mopped up by emergencies and then what happens when the people who donated need them? This thread and this discussion we are having now.

Let's leave the corruption part aside, that's another angle to the whole story.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by badoh(m): 5:53pm On Mar 30
nnol:
Lol this is common in most teaching hospitals. My dad was once a victim when he had surgery in one popular teaching hospital in the North. We donated two pints of blood prior surgery and just when the surgery was near, the hospital claimed it was only one pint of blood that is remaining and the other has being already administered to him. I was shocked to my marrows when they even brought documentation of the day my dad was administered the blood and time too. Of course my dad was never administered any blood cos we were with him 2,4,7 on his hospital bed. Even the said date the hospital claimed they administered the blood on him, i was with my dad through out that very day and no blood was administered. The truth is most doctors working in public hospitals also have their private hospitals, they steal these blood pints to sell to their client in their private hospitals.
And these doctors and nurses want Nigeria to be better? See, an average Nigerian is selfish and bribe-driven. I wish the govt can clamp down on irregularities going on in the public hospitals and health centres. Most of these doctors are also in the habit of referring patients to their private hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Countyguy: 6:00pm On Mar 30
DrFunmisticGlow:
I see your point too.
However many people in grief will always castigate health staff.
True word Nigeria can be aggressive in situations like this
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by rafcrown(m): 6:08pm On Mar 30
Pray that some criminals are not selling blood to RITUALISTS
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by descarado: 6:08pm On Mar 30
YesDaddyTill203:

The only way to have strong institutions is by having people with ethics, morals and who are willing to uphold the laws, values, and ethics of the institutions that they work in or serve. When you have a society made up of mostly corrupt, selfish, and unethical people, you can't have strong institutions.

Your institutions are only as strong as the people that are running them. Institutions are buildings and humans that make them work.
No matter the President or Governor's intentions, if the people running any institution from the clerk to the top are not trust worthy then the institution is nothing.
The people that make the FBI great are the people that work there, not the building or the laws. The people that work there are determined to uphold the values of the institution.
It still boils down to elected officials.
Elected officials make the institutions strong.
Period.

1 Like

Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by PHAYOL81: 6:17pm On Mar 30
There's always two sides to a coin but if true, then that's one of those worms destroying the pillars of development we are aspiring to build. LASG should urgently investigate this.

descarado:

It still boils down to elected officials.
Elected officials make the institutions strong.
Period.

There's little elected officers can do to solidify institutions especially if superior institutions who are saddled with the responsibility of overseeing the activities of chains of institutions under them are equally made of corrupt citizens. For instance, in the case of the NIGERIAN caught in sharp practice in UK nursing field, the elected leaders ain't the ones who called her out but NMC, which is a controlling institution for the nurses and midwifes in the kingdom. If the NMC had turned a blind eye, there's little the elected officers could've done.
In my opinion, a good set of individuals make up a good family, the good set of which make up a good society (wherein good institutions emerges), hence combination of good societies bring up a good nation. What this insinuates is that all the institutions, whether electoral, professional, religious, government, etc. are all reflections of the ethical and moral value each individual in the society protrudes.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by newoffer: 6:45pm On Mar 30
Anything Govt hospital. No empathy. They've seen lots of trouble in this life to be nice to anybody.
Samirana360:
If u don't have enough money and u r sick, don't cross lasuth or luth..... Those people dey play with persin life oo
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Ofadaman(m): 6:48pm On Mar 30
someone should take garlic and a wooden stake there, maybe the warden is a vampire
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Ameduedwin: 8:35pm On Mar 30
nairalanda1:

I still stand by what I wrote

The whole issue is exacerbated by a scarcity of blood. That's why hospitals are asking for two pint of blood, they are in essence using it to relieve the shortage of blood in their banks

If more people donate freely, none of this would happen
there is a law now in any government hospital that if you want to register your pregnant wife there, you must donate two pint of blood before your wife delivered, assuming you donate the blood and time comes to use the blood and One doctor or nurse tell you there is no blood, what will you do?
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by maasoap(m): 9:38pm On Mar 30
NoToPile:

Wrong @bolded.

All the blood patients relatives donate can be mopped up by emergencies and then what happens when the people who donated need them? This thread and this discussion we are having now.

Let's leave the corruption part aside, that's another angle to the whole story.

Why forcing them to donate then and pay for either the blood or the screening when they will be asked again to go and buy blood when it is time to attend to their patient? It is cheating
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by nairalanda1(m): 9:49pm On Mar 30
Ameduedwin:
there is a law now in any government hospital that if you want to register your pregnant wife there, you must donate two pint of blood before your wife delivered, assuming you donate the blood and time comes to use the blood and One doctor or nurse tell you there is no blood, what will you do?

GO and look for blood what else...there is always the NBTS.
Branches nationwide.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Abee79(m): 10:52pm On Mar 30
Unfortunately, this corrupt practice is not only perpetrated in the hospital you mentioned. It's a widespread practice in almost all government hospitals. You donate blood or pay for it, if it wasn't utilized during the procedure, you get no refund. People donate blood freely, but even in an emergency situation, one is forced to purchase. The scam is too deep . . .
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by Meerahbel: 11:28pm On Mar 30
Love800:
But private hospital, na quacks full there na!
Health is wealth, use reputable private hospitals.
Re: The Blood Bank Fraud At LASUTH By Lola Okunrin by NoToPile: 11:31pm On Mar 30
maasoap:

Why forcing them to donate then and pay for either the blood or the screening when they will be asked again to go and buy blood when it is time to attend to their patient? It is cheating

Seems you are mixing it up, at the point of donation no payment is made, (except you paid someone personally to help donate ) when you need the blood thats when payment is made that's when people say they buy blood and the blood bank peeps say the amount paid to get the blood is cost of screening the blood donated.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Use Scent Leaves (efinrin) As Cure For Malaria | Daily Family NG / I Am So Depressed. I'm A Chronic Stammerer! Please I Need Your Advice. / UNIBEN Denounces Prof's HIV/AIDS Cure Claim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.