Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,499 members, 7,816,190 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS (10226 Views)

BOI To Reduce Unemployment Rate By Single Digit / Over 400,000 Jobs Created In 3rd Quarter - NBS / What's The Current Unemployment Rate In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 12:01am On Nov 18, 2011
OAM4J:

^What do you recommend as the way out?

In a country where poverty has made many gone insane and lost their sense of value and dignity.

I agree with what fstranger/meonbooty said a day or two ago; majority of Nigerians are like prisoners serving life sentences with verrrrryyyy haaaarrrrd labour.

I cannot recommend anything --- I am not an economist and I am not an elected leader, but I do recognize when I am being fed hock-phooey, and I think it is time we start paying more attention to the information we continue being fed by those in power. It seems there is a trend to BOAST OF GROWTH -- but never really needing to account for all the boom.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by passyjango(m): 12:06am On Nov 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

Heh. You are right. However, there is absolutely nothing the Nigerian government can do to fix unemployment unless it fixes electricity first.

The only labor intensive sectors fo the economy I know of are manufacturing and subsistence farming. For somewhat obvious reasons, you don't want to encourage subsistence farming grin

So unless Nigeria decides to tackle electricity (or alternatively, implement population control) we should expect unemployment rates to continue to rise.

Then they should improve electricity supply, responsible governments also do that. That is actually part of the engineering (or is it now re-engineering) that I am talking about.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Nov 18, 2011
passyjango:

It is possible for GDP to rise without commensurate increment in employment. However, all responsible governments specifically engineer growth to occur in sectors that are labour intensive in order to boast employment.

As for people arguing with the proportion of the unemployed, you need to understand that only those skilled to work and actively looking for work are captured as unemployed. So, if you are not applying for work or do not have skills considered as employable skills, you are not unemployed whether or not you are working. So, all the almajiris in the North and Area boys in Lagos and Onitsha are not unemployed as far as this stat is concerned.

However, I must confess that I have a problem with any stat that suggests that unemployment rate in Nigeria was 4.9% in 2007.

Not asking you what is possible  really . . .  but could you at least spend some time looking at the document released by your NBS, to get a better picture of what you are being told. I know we don't normally spend time analyzing the data in this country, but if you are really concerned. I suggest you look at the latest for yourself. It tells you there what you need to know . . . .

By the way, would labour intensive not include AGRICULTURE which happens to be pulling about 44% of the weight of our GDP, 2 freaking years straight at least.  grin. Oh!!! And according to the NBS, the growth continues to be attributed to the favourable weather our farmers we have been getting in so many years now (NO MECHANICAL IMPROVEMENT CITED). . . grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 12:10am On Nov 18, 2011
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by ektbear: 12:11am On Nov 18, 2011
passyjango:

Then they should improve electricity supply, responsible governments also do that. That is actually part of the engineering (or is it now re-engineering) that I am talking about.

I think the problem is that you are assuming here that the Nigerian gov't is responsible.

Heh.

And not everyone realizes how fixing electricity is probably the most important thing right now.

But we shall see, perhaps GEJ can do it (or even better, give space for the private sector and certain admirable states like Lagos to do it.)
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by ektbear: 12:28am On Nov 18, 2011
OK, good that you posted that. Agric grew by 5.82%. Given that it was roughly 44% of the economy and the economy grew by 7.4%, a bit of math will tell you that agric contributed to ~34.6% of GDP growth, not the roughly 44% you erroneously suggested.

(As an aside, looks like the NBS estimates oil to be about 15% of the economy, but with flat or negative growth. Actually -.34%.)

Telecoms grew by roughly 35%. Wholesale and retail trade by 11.8%.

Rest of the growth summarized in this chart:
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by lindabells(f): 5:29am On Nov 18, 2011
ATTN : GLOBAL OPENING !!! GLOBAL OPENING !!! GLOBAL OPENING !!!!

A new business i started is getting out of hand and I need 10 serious people to work with for 5months.

You will be Earning $413,000 in a 5months duration.Though a simple task, but Only Serious Minded individuals needed to apply.
, ,
Interviews will be held and only Qualified Individuals will be taken for the 10 slot Opportunity of a lifetime, only those who meet our will be taken,
These Final 10 will undergo Trainings to equipp them on the task at hand

Qualifications
You must be a Goal Oriented Person, achieving Targets at Scheduled Times.
Able to Work without Supervision, Motivated POSITIVE Person
ENUMERATION $413,000 AND LOTS MORE.

Send in your Applications Today .
Send an Email with your Location, Contact Numbers TO INBOX.
Email add: lindafreeborn@yahoo.com
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Yeske2(m): 9:12am On Nov 18, 2011
The above stat by the NBS makes no sense to me, with the number of idle hands around the above rates should be higher. Dunno if hawking recharge card or sachet water along the highway adds to the unemployment rate or not
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by zebudaya(m): 9:39am On Nov 18, 2011
lindabells:

ATTN : GLOBAL OPENING !!! GLOBAL OPENING !!! GLOBAL OPENING !!!!

A new business i started is getting out of hand and I need 10 serious people to work with for 5months.

You will be Earning $413,000 in a 5months duration.Though a simple task, but Only Serious Minded individuals needed to apply.
, ,
Interviews will be held and only Qualified Individuals will be taken for the 10 slot Opportunity of a lifetime, only those who meet our will be taken,
These Final 10 will undergo Trainings to equipp them on the task at hand

Qualifications
You must be a Goal Oriented Person, achieving Targets at Scheduled Times.
Able to Work without Supervision, Motivated POSITIVE Person
ENUMERATION $413,000 AND LOTS MORE.

Send in your Applications Today .
Send an Email with your Location, Contact Numbers TO INBOX.
Email add: lindafreeborn@yahoo.com

What is this job you are willing to pay $34,416/month to 10 people for? Why don't you state it explicitly. Otherwise one has to conclude say you be 419.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by mbulela: 12:03pm On Nov 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

These debates must be therapeutic or something for some people.
i just tire.
meanwhile i wait for you for that side yesterday.
hail you tire, yet no answer.
i hope all is fine at your end?
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 1:52pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^ You say you tire, and I got to ask what is wrong with debate being therapeutic for some for some people? I mean it ain't like, after so many years of debating on here, many of you have taken the serious stand required to change the situation. So why HATE on those who choose to enjoy it?
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by mbulela: 4:48pm On Nov 18, 2011
The use of the word HATE in this context is simply laughable.
By the way, what stand have you taken?
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by olajide8(m): 5:20pm On Nov 18, 2011
I am very sorry for my country even the statistician has done a incomplete Job as usual the nigerian factor and a population sample with specific reference to bwari or kaduna as their test market crazy people, universitys all around nigeria graduate about 21000 yearly polytechnics about 11000, colleges of education and private universities also contribute their quarter to the labour market etc and this is an already saturated market laden with corruption and insincerity job losses and down sizing and right sizing, which they did not point out in his observations, obviously from my own personal assumptions more than 35% of the workable labour force is unemployed that's if they even have the true population figures of nigerians, and they don't have jobs, and amongst the remaining 65% are a large number of unemployable graduates due to level of illiteracy and this amount are educated illiterates we have in the system without missing words we are in very challenging times
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 6:34pm On Nov 18, 2011
mbulela:

HATE i.e H8ter etc. jeezzz!!!

Oh!! I have taken a stand on numerous occasions, but since I came to the realization that the majority of Nigerians, even on this thread, are simply not ready for change . . . I happen to accepted that it is OK to debate for therapeutic reasons. Yes, I happen to be one of those who debate for therapeutic reasons and I see nothing wrong in that.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Nov 18, 2011
mbulela:

Oh!! I have taken a stand on numerous occasions, but since I came to the realization that the majority of Nigerians, even on this thread, are simply not ready for change. I am a member of an aggressive minority but it is wrong for me to IMPOSE my views on others, so I choose to debate them instead . . . I happen to accepted that it is OK to debate for therapeutic reasons. Yes, I happen to be one of those who debate for therapeutic reasons and I see nothing wrong in that.

I just wonder what your problem is with people like me? Na bad thing to debate for the fun/ therapeutic gains?
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by mbulela: 12:58am On Nov 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh!! I have taken a stand on numerous occasions, but since I came to the realization that the majority of Nigerians, even on this thread, are simply not ready for change. I am a member of an aggressive minority but it is wrong for me to IMPOSE my views on others, so I choose to debate them instead . . . I happen to accepted that it is OK to debate for therapeutic reasons. Yes, I happen to be one of those who debate for therapeutic reasons and I see nothing wrong in that.

I just wonder what your problem is with people like me? Na bad thing to debate for the fun/ therapeutic gains?
You are getting worked up for no apparent reason.
Just chill and enjoy yourself.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 1:39am On Nov 19, 2011
I asked a question and MIND-READER/PSYCHO-ANALYZER is already claiming I am getting worked up . . . can't you folks just answer question or just shut it without pretending to have your opponent/other end figured out? You asked a question and I decided to take time to respond to YOUR QUESTION. Why am I the one now getting worked up?

By the way, you still have not answered the question I asked you.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by otokx(m): 9:41am On Nov 19, 2011
nothing less than 50%
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by dreama: 8:01am On Nov 22, 2011
Even though Nigeria doesn't have a crédible statistical info, I believe unemployment rate is very high.MaYbe higher than d quoted figures. But one good news is that d rate is stil going 2 b higher next year when d subsidies on fuel are nocked off,because inflation WILL b high,leading to job cut!
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by AjanleKoko: 10:20am On Nov 22, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, I happen to be one of those who debate for therapeutic reasons and I see nothing wrong in that.

You debate to get high? shocked
Sounds more like you need some sort of medical help undecided
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by Kobojunkie: 2:45am On Nov 23, 2011
^^^ Which one be "debate to get high"? Na meaning of the word THERAPEUTIC for your village be that?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

What the heck? Person dey use debate as stress release/therapy, this one dey demand say name the same as debating to get high? Abeg bound back into that bush wey you take commot . . .
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by AjanleKoko: 8:52am On Nov 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ Which one be "debate to get high"? Na meaning of the word THERAPEUTIC for your village be that?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

What the heck? Person dey use debate as stress release/therapy, this one dey demand say name the same as debating to get high? Abeg bound back into that bush wey you take commot . . .

Sorry.
I can't possibly go anywhere with you tongue
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by babsomotde(m): 10:15pm On Nov 25, 2011
Only God can help us in this contry, Only Jesus can SAVE.
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by pandoras08(m): 11:50pm On Nov 25, 2011
VISIT WWW.NGJOBQUEST.COM FOR YOUR INFORMATION ON CURRENT JOB OFFERS IN NIGERIA
Re: Unemployment Rate In Nigeria Hits 23.9% - NBS by cronaldo: 2:19pm On Nov 30, 2011
this statistics is not correct. I believe unemplyment rate had hit at least 50%.

To get latest jobs news, visit and join http://www.NaijaOpenJobs.com

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Judicial Service Commission Is Recruiting / Forms For Entrance Examination Into Delta State Civil Service Now On Sale / Akwa Ibom Poly 2017 Job Vacancies- Internal & External- Apply Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.