Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:28 AM

Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York (31492 Views)

M6.8-earthquake Hits Sichuan Province, China. 46 Killed / 5.3 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Zagreb, Croatia (Photos, Video) / Eastern Turkey Struck By Magnitude 6.8 Earthquake. Atleast 6 Dead, 225 Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by HonNL: 5:16pm On Apr 05
A strong earthquake rattled New York City and the surrounding area Friday morning.

It happened at approximately 10:20 a.m.

The quake - which the USGS has said was either 4.7 or 4.8 - was centered near Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, 40 miles west of New York City, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

So far, there have been no reports of damage.

The impact was felt throughout the Tri-State Area, including upstate in Syracuse, as well as in Philadelphia and as far away as Baltimore. Reports of buildings shaking and rattling came in from New Jersey to Long Island.

Gov. Phil Murphy said New Jersey has activated its Emergency Operations Center, and urged residents to not call 911 unless they are experiencing an actual emergency.

The MTA said is inspecting all New York City-area bridges and tunnels. No damage has been reported at this point.

"I was laying in my bed, and my whole apartment building started shaking. I started freaking out," one New York City resident told CBS New York's Elijah Westbrook.

Cracks in walls were visible in an apartment in Berkeley Heights, N.J.

It's not the first time the East Coast and New York City have been hit with a quake. A 5.0 quake was measured in New York City in 1884.

There's a major fault lin New Jersey called the Ramapo Fault, which stems from the Appalachian mountains, and there are at least five smaller fault lines under Manhattan island.

The quake comes just a few months after the USGS warned nearly 75% of the United States could face damaging quakes in the next 100 years.

In 2011, a 5.8 quake struck in Virginia and rattled the entire East Coast.

SOURCE

A 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit west of Manhattan and has been felt throughout New York.

My team is assessing impacts and any damage that may have occurred, and we will update the public throughout the day.

Kathy Hochul (Governor, State of New York)

Our region just experienced an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.7, with an epicenter near Readington in Hunterdon County.

We have activated our State Emergency Operations Center. Please do not call 911 unless you have an actual emergency.

Phil Murphy[i] (Governor, State of New Jersey)[/i]

A 4.8 magnitude earthquake hit New Jersey and was felt in parts of Pennsylvania.

My team and @PEMAHQ are actively monitoring the situation and in contact with counties on any damage. We will keep Pennsylvanians updated.

Josh Shapiro (Governor, State of Pennsylvania)

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Arobaga: 5:16pm On Apr 05
Wish this earthquake would happen to many evil Nigerian politicians home and that of their children in this Nigeria

God leave where he suppose direct disaster dey carry am go cities and countries that are giving their citizens good life

47 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Righteousness2(m): 5:17pm On Apr 05
Earlier today a 4.6 Magnitude EARTHQUAKE struck Ramshir, Iran . The very day it is breathing fire and thunder to STRIKE ISRAEL.

Thunder struck the statue of Liberty after Biden led Nomerica turns its back on ISRAEL, the apple of God's eye and America most trusted allay

Now 4.8 Magnitude EARTHQUAKE strikes Newyork. The most Powerful in mordern times.
The biggest since 1884.

And you think these are Ordinary?
These are some Mighthy Divine Orchestrations and Warnings!!

ISRAEL is the apple of God's Eyes. When You Stretch your Hands against ISRAEL, you poking GOD in HIS Eye.

GOD is shaking the whole earth and making signs for all to see.

I Fear the GOD of ABRAHAM, ISSAC and ISRAEL.
I advice the you Fear Him too For your own Good.

76 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by eliwa47(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05
Thank God, so far there's no Casualty.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by tunjijones(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05
In saner cline... Na the saner cline be that ..

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Higherthan: 5:29pm On Apr 05
God pls oo, I hope people will be rescued on time, I pray for those whose lives are in danger to be rescued ASAP

12 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by owiko(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05
T

1 Like

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Racoon(m): 5:29pm On Apr 05
shocked Quick resettlement to the affected victims. Nigeria is so fortunate with natural disasters of these kind. Mother nature is so considerate of us.

4 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by HighChiefZino: 5:29pm On Apr 05
God's own country. That lovely bride that has become very rebellious to her bride groom.

God, may your mercy endures forever on your people, the beautiful creature of your hands.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by 2Radii: 5:30pm On Apr 05
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Emeskhalifa(m): 5:30pm On Apr 05
Righteousness go link this to Israel and end time grin

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Gwan2(m): 5:30pm On Apr 05
“what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him”

If you fathom the comic activities and components of the cosmic world, then you will ask same deep question in the Bible David asked,,, Why is God particular about insignificant components like humans in the grand scheme of the universe activities.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by mrdharkchild(m): 5:30pm On Apr 05
For the fact that people die everyday, I don't think anyone is supposed to be scared of death.

No news here

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by rumu3485: 5:30pm On Apr 05
SCAMerican terrorists & lgbtPEDO degenerates are doomed.

This boy below doesn't know that Israelis hate Jesus till this day.
Woe betide you the day you preach Jesus in the land of Israel.
👇🏾
https://twitter.com/CensoredMen/status/1714466931137286557?t=2rqSi1iGg3WRpfIv9NBuOg&s=19

Righteousness2:
Earlier today a 4.6 Magnitude EARTHQUAKE struck Ramshir, Iran . The very day it is breathing fire and thunder to STRIKE ISRAEL.

Thunder struck the statue of Liberty yesterday after Biden led Nomerica turns its back on ISRAEL, the apple of God's eye and America most trusted allay

Now 4.8 Magnitude EARTHQUAKE strikes Newyork. The most Powerful in mordern times.
The biggest since 1884.

I advice you Fear Him too For your own Good.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by sharminator5: 5:30pm On Apr 05
It's coming small small

2 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Wainey: 5:31pm On Apr 05
For those saying that natural disaster no deh hit Nigeria, SE part of Nigeria was experiencing heavy gully's like yearly, or will I say mini earthquake, flooding was a normal occurrence here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Michael547(m): 5:32pm On Apr 05
Arobaga:
Wish this earthquake would happen to many evil Nigerian politicians home and that of their children in this Nigeria

God leave where he suppose direct disaster dey carry am go cities and countries that are giving their citizens good life
So na God cause the earthquake for US?

8 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by 77up(m): 5:32pm On Apr 05
Arobaga:

...and if that happens, will it affect only that politician alone? Many lives will lost, that's why you people should think of what you wish for. Earthquake or any kinds of tsunami is never what you can ever imagine, God forbid

Anyway, God no be man.

26 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by therajah: 5:32pm On Apr 05
These are the days ... we are getting closer and closer...
He who has an ear let him hear
Let God be glorified. Time to know and have a relationship with God Almighty.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Passionate888: 5:32pm On Apr 05
shocked
Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Michael547(m): 5:33pm On Apr 05
Righteousness2:

Thunder struck the statue of Liberty yesterday after Biden led Nomerica turns its back on ISRAEL, the apple of God's eye and America most trusted allay

The biggest since 1884.

When You Stretch uour Hands against ISRAEL, you poking GOD in HIS Eye.

So your God has been the one using earthquake to kill people indiscriminately?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Administration1: 5:34pm On Apr 05
Hmmm
Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by MrPRevailer(m): 5:34pm On Apr 05
Michael547:

So your God has been the one using earthquake to kill people indiscriminately?
Fear Almighty God.

The rest of your eternal fate will be determined by him.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Mosba: 5:34pm On Apr 05
Arobaga:

If your wish comes through and it happens at the time you're traveling along their house you will be affected too

13 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by techub: 5:34pm On Apr 05
The USA is yet to understand that the middle East is no longer fighting them physically but spiritually

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by bolaayenimo: 5:34pm On Apr 05
I'm safe
Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by InteliJ(f): 5:34pm On Apr 05
Earthquake ke

New York as how?

Truly, everyday we wake we're faced with one thousand and one ways to die

2 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by DrChukki: 5:35pm On Apr 05
Thank God for Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Darkandhandsom(m): 5:35pm On Apr 05
You wan still japa?

4 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by Michael547(m): 5:35pm On Apr 05
MrPRevailer:

Fear Almighty God.

The rest of your eternal fate will be determined by him.
What God exactly should I fear?

4 Likes

Re: Massive 4.8 Earthquake Hits New York by YesDaddyTill203: 5:35pm On Apr 05
Righteousness2:

The biggest since 1884.

When You Stretch uour Hands against ISRAEL, you poking GOD in HIS Eye.

Your mumuness is legendary.

25 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Ukraine Civilians Can Freely Leave Kyiv" - Russian Army / Israel Strikes Near Damascus For Second Time This Week, Syria Says(Pics) / Donald Trump Warns Hassan Rouhani, Iran President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.