Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,484 members, 7,816,147 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:36 AM

Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians (14605 Views)

Labour Accepts Deregulation As Government Halts Hike In Electricity Tariffs / Protest In Osun Over Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fuel Price (Photos) / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by nairalanda1(m): 7:58am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

That's the problem with you guys, Peter Obi is far better than Tinubu, infact Tinubu was the worst candidate on ballot for presidency, I mean overall not just among the major 4, the signs were just too much for anyone to ignore.

Tinubu is bad, but Peter Obi went to Egypt to learn from them, the same Egypt ......who ended electricity/energy subsides several years ago.

Most fiscal savings under the 2016 programme were achieved by means of ending Egypt’s energy subsidies. Until 2015, energy subsidies were the form of social assistance that took up the most budgetary resources, accounting for about 6% of GDP in 2013, or about a fifth of government expenditure (Diab 2023). By the end of 2019, these subsidies had almost completely ended.

The ending of energy subsidies, with all of its immense social repercussions, was justified on two grounds. The first was that the subsidies benefitted the rich more than the poor since wealthier households use a lot more energy than their low-income counterparts. The second was that the energy subsidies were bad for the environment because cheap energy diverts investment to energy-intensive sectors and promotes the wasteful consumption of fuels (Diab 2023). In the following paragraphs, these two justifications are examined in detail and are assessed in the light of available empirical evidence

Sauce: The IMF and ending energy subsides in Egypt.

Yep, and as you can see from paragraph 2, they were ended with 'no palliatives'

If Obi was in power, he would have removed subsides. Not because he is as bad as tinubu, but because as at August 2023, we had ninety percent of our earnings going to service debt, and even now, the same issue is still there

Also, power is a business. Power was privatised in 2013. If you were running a business, you won;t accept government price contorls, and suchlike. Yes , they made a profit last year...the point is, they could have made much much more if they were able to have no subsides (plus at the end, they still cannot pay government taxes, and pay for upgrades and improvements and gas debt would eat up the profit in minutes.)

IN a way, this isn't about your side or his.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Wainey: 8:00am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

That's the problem with you guys, Peter Obi is far better than Tinubu, infact Tinubu was the worst candidate on ballot for presidency, I mean overall not just among the major 4, the signs were just too much for anyone to ignore.

Peter Obi?
Is it that Anambra liar? The idiot that couldn't manage LP money and allowed crooks to squander it and buy properties in Abuja? We won't deliver Nigeria to that an incompetent ass who depends on crowd funding.
Tinubu was not the option Nigeria needed, but I still prefer Tinubu to Obi.

Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by greggng: 8:00am On Apr 06
The impunity and ordercity of our leaders worries me . They forgot it was a just an increase in bread in Tunisia that brought about the Arab spring ...that took the life if ghafafi ...a president well love by his people . When leaders take the led for granted anything can happen. I pray our leaders have a rethink. You cannot be increasing everything while minimum wage is not even talked about . If you can buy 40units of electricity for 10k and use it for 3 days...that means in 9days you have spent your minimum wage on electricity . How do you take care of other bills? Tell me why kidnapping and other crimes won't be the order of the day .
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by nairalanda1(m): 8:01am On Apr 06
Wainey:
sharap, like ur candidate was any better

Your candidate was not in favor of removing subsides in 2012, and played a key role, along with Buhari in misinforming NIgerians about subsides over the years, until they got into power and realized the truth, then continued the charade by borrowing and over borrowing, which has now made the current partial removal of subsides moot.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Treasure17(m): 8:02am On Apr 06
You see why those who voted for this clown will not die well?
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by ufotunang: 8:11am On Apr 06
All this cannot happen if Peter obi was in power... nigerians would had enjoyed constant electricity light supply at a cheaper rate under Peter obi administration
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by YourKarma: 8:12am On Apr 06
PressMyButton:

Dude, the President has signed electricity bill into law, hold your Governors to invest in power and make it available to you at a cheaper rate.

Yes, let's shift the blame to the governors but during Jonathan's tenure we blamed him for everything
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:12am On Apr 06
Wainey:
Peter Obi?
Is it that Anambra liar? The idiot that couldn't manage LP money and allowed crooks to squander it and buy properties in Abuja? We won't deliver Nigeria to that an incompetent ass who depends on crowd funding.
Tinubu was not the option Nigeria needed, but I still prefer Tinubu to Obi.

If you want to talk, talk like someone that is reasonable, LP does not belong to Peter Obi, he met people there, he was only their presidential candidate and there is a limit to what he can meddle in the party affairs, if not they would say he wants to hijack the party which people like you already blamed him for.

Now you are telling him to have meddled in such sensitive things about the party, like we say you guys like speaking from both sides of the mouth when you want it to favour you.

You are saying Tinubu was not the option to Nigeria yet you supported him, and saying that you prefer Tinubu to Obi.

That is like saying Tinubu was the best candidate you saw in the last election for Nigeria, You saw a devil with horns and tail and saw him to be the best, wow.

Look if you want me to break down all the red flags of Tinubu, I will do just that for you and let you know why Tinubu was the worst candidate for any human being to pick as president during the last election, please just tell me to go ahead....
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by PressMyButton: 8:14am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

So what did APC use 8 years to do in office? To continue doing what PDP was doing ?

Do you realize the complexities of the contract that PDP gave the Discos and Gencos? , You think it's that easy to cancel the contracts?

1 Like

Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by NaijaSumigan: 8:18am On Apr 06
If this is the case, the masses should demand death by hanging for politicians caught stealing public funds
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by PressMyButton: 8:18am On Apr 06
YourKarma:

Yes, let's shift the blame to the governors but during Jonathan's tenure we blamed him for everything
Did GEJ signed electricity bill?
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Elxandre(m): 8:20am On Apr 06
nairalanda1:
Once upon a time, we had heavily subsidised phone services. The result was that phones were only available for the rich, because the NITEL did not have enough money to give everyone a phone.

Then came the GSM companies, who were allowed to charge prices as they liked.

Things were not good at first. You could not call between networks, call NITEL Landlines, and so on and so forth. And the prices were high.

And the GSM companies made obscene profits....which enabled them to pay for imporvements, and expansion of network and bring in new technology.

Result...today, even people living in poor areas have access to phones. Something that back in 1980's was the preserve of the rich and some high level workers.
All you do on Nairaland is support elitism.
Even America subsidizes electricity for its citizens.
We are a country with 30k minimum wage.
If anything, you'd think they would make it even cheaper and constant to spark the industrial awakening we need so badly.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:25am On Apr 06
PressMyButton:

Do you realize the complexities of the contract that PDP gave the Discos and Gencos? , You think it's that easy to cancel the contracts?

Yes, I know the complexities, the clause expired about 2 or 3 years ago, what did APC do after that?
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:28am On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Tinubu is bad, but Peter Obi went to Egypt to learn from them, the same Egypt ......who ended electricity/energy subsides several years ago.

Sauce: The IMF and ending energy subsides in Egypt.

Yep, and as you can see from paragraph 2, they were ended with 'no palliatives'

If Obi was in power, he would have removed subsides. Not because he is as bad as tinubu, but because as at August 2023, we had ninety percent of our earnings going to service debt, and even now, the same issue is still there

Also, power is a business. Power was privatised in 2013. If you were running a business, you won;t accept government price contorls, and suchlike. Yes , they made a profit last year...the point is, they could have made much much more if they were able to have no subsides (plus at the end, they still cannot pay government taxes, and pay for upgrades and improvements and gas debt would eat up the profit in minutes.)

IN a way, this isn't about your side or his.

I'm not arguing if subsidies should be removed or not removed here, the government should do their homework before removing it and they have not done their homework, that is my major concern....
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by izubext007: 8:28am On Apr 06
Tinubu is just telling us that the renewed hope is not for the common man.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by tunde1200(m): 8:33am On Apr 06
So many ignorant around us that seems not to understand, though I don't blame them much its die to their tribal hate and sentiment.
Pls help me enlightened them especially those from the eastern part of the country.

PressMyButton:

I don't know why people heaping blames on the FG, i guess a lot of people are plain ignorant. We have been through wrong direction for a very long time and it'd take a man with guts to steer us right. How can we sell our public assets to individuals, yet we keep paying them to run the assets. These cabal do not want to get their grip off us but i appreciate Tinubu for putting them in their place.

1 Like

Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by nairalanda1(m): 8:34am On Apr 06
Elxandre:

All you do on Nairaland is support elitism.
Even America subsidizes electricity for its citizens.
We are a country with 30k minimum wage.
If anything, you'd think they would make it even cheaper and constant to spark the industrial awakening we need so badly.

All I am doing is supporting your right as a business person to set your prices.

We have subsidised electricity for decades. It isn't working.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by tunde1200(m): 8:34am On Apr 06
Felabrity:
Na thunder go fire una papa

These ediots keeps increasing everything and refuses to increase minimum wage while their supporters are suffering in silent

Minimum wage is a good point if you could have write that alone on this thread.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by nairalanda1(m): 8:35am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

I'm not arguing if subsidies should be removed or not removed here, the government should do their homework before removing it and they have not done their homework, that is my major concern....

Well, in the Egypt your Obi loves, they removed subsides without all that homework thing.

Plus, we was spending 90% of our revenue on debt servicing by August 2022. Anyone could see what was coming
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Chikel20000(m): 8:42am On Apr 06
steeltrust:
Why re Nigerians hypocrites
You want steady light
Good health care
Good road etc and you don’t want to pay for it
Same you people will bash those abroad that they pay too much bills, it same you will complain when the bill is giving to you to pay back home with what you want like steady light etc.

Nigerians are so funny sha😂🤣
d biggest hypocrite is u....if Buhari or Obi had done dis...u guys will be d one crying up n down....Jonathan wanted to remove subsidy....ur messiah Tinubu n co rejected it n u guys bought in that idea.....now Tinubu is now removing d same subsidy Jonathan wanted.....u r calling us hypocrite.....
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Wainey: 8:42am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

If you want to talk, talk like someone that is reasonable, LP does not belong to Peter Obi, he met people there, he was only their presidential candidate and there is a limit to what he can meddle in the party affairs, if not they would say he wants to hijack the party which people like you already blamed him for.

Now you are telling him to have meddled in such sensitive things about the party, like we say you guys like speaking from both sides of the mouth when you want it to favour you.

You are saying Tinubu was not the option to Nigeria yet you supported him, and saying that you prefer Tinubu to Obi.

That is like saying Tinubu was the best candidate you saw in the last election for Nigeria, You saw a devil with horns and tail and saw him to be the best, wow.

Look if you want me to break down all the red flags of Tinubu, I will do just that for you and let you know why Tinubu was the worst candidate for any human being to pick as president during the last election, please just tell me to go ahead....
I am not even talking about LP crisis? The liar could not even manage the money that was donated for his own campaign and allow cabals steal everything and you want him to manage money that is meant for a country.
He is gradually showing us why he was so much hated when he was a governor, there was no single person that talked good about him.

Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by PressMyButton: 8:43am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

Yes, I know the complexities, the clause expired about 2 or 3 years ago, what did APC do after that?
Which clause?, there're clauses in a contract.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:43am On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Well, in the Egypt your Obi loves, they removed subsides without all that homework thing.

Plus, we was spending 90% of our revenue on debt servicing by August 2022. Anyone could see what was coming

How do you know?

Do you even know the homework I am talking about?
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:46am On Apr 06
PressMyButton:

Which clause?, there're clauses in a contract.

there was a clause, so if you don't even know about the clause in the contract then you have little info about the whole power issue for you to be arguing about anyhow....
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:49am On Apr 06
Wainey:
I am not even talking about LP crisis? The liar could not even manage the money that was donated for his own campaign and allow cabals steal everything and you want him to manage money that is meant for a country.
He is gradually showing us why he was so much hated when he was a governor, there was no single person that talked good about him.

Peter Obi?
Is it that Anambra liar? The idiot that couldn't manage LP money and allowed crooks to squander it and buy properties in Abuja?

Your words not mine
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by ManDemMaCall(m): 8:53am On Apr 06
Blood Clat, Babylon!

What a shitty irresponsible clueless sets of human being.

This is getting too much,, May thunder 🔥 those that want to make this country unbearable for the masses..
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Wainey: 8:56am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

Peter Obi?
Is it that Anambra liar? The idiot that couldn't manage LP money and allowed crooks to squander it and buy properties in Abuja?

Your words not mine
they are my words, but that money was for Obi, and he has more control over that money than anyone else in that party, but his incompetence was revealed when he couldn't handle the money.
No wonder they couldn't tell people how the money was spent.
I am not even angry with Obi sef, I knew he is incompetent hiding under media clap. Na that thief that was hiding under hijab nai shock me.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 8:59am On Apr 06
Wainey:
they are my words, but that money was for Obi, and he has more control over that money than anyone else in that party, but his incompetence was revealed when he couldn't handle the money.
No wonder they couldn't tell people how the money was spent.
I am not even angry with Obi sef, I knew he is incompetent hiding under media clap. Na that thief that was hiding under hijab nai shock me.

So the money was donated into Peter Obi's personal account?
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by nairalanda1(m): 8:59am On Apr 06
Brendaniel:

How do you know?

Do you even know the homework I am talking about?

Read the article I quoted in my original response. The bit about social repercussions.

As much as I hate subsidy removal, things unfortunately cost money.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by 1x2x3: 9:00am On Apr 06
PressMyButton:
100% in support of FG. FG has been paying subsidy for darkness for decades. This is one of the many evils of PDP whereby incompetent cronies of government were sold NEPA while government keeps paying billions in subsidy to private owners to cover for their operating loss. Which sensible country does that?

You have wicked politicians who have zero accountability. Tell me what they have done with subsidy money they claimed to have removed from petroleum. Don't worry, let's keep cheering them, I can guarantee you a huge rebound will come one day and every one of you cheering them may be consumed when hungry citizens revolt.
Re: Expect More Increase In Electricity Tariff, FG Tells Nigerians by Brendaniel: 9:10am On Apr 06
nairalanda1:

Read the article I quoted in my original response. The bit about social repercussions.

As much as I hate subsidy removal, things unfortunately cost money.

I read it and it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about , so I ask you again, since you claim you know the homework I'm talking please give me the details....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jubilation, As Ihedioha Pays Full Salaries To Imo Workers, Implements 100% Salar / Seyi Makinde: We Inherited An Almost Bankrupt State From Ajimobi / IGP Orders Restriction Of Movement For Supplementary Elections Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.