Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,173 members, 7,821,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop (604 Views)

Fact About Oduduwa The Ancestor Of Yoruba.history. / The Yoruba History Of My Grandfather-by Adeleke Adeyemo / The Ilorin Blot On Yoruba History And The Perfidy Of The British (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by ElSudani: 7:21pm On Apr 06
babasolution:

Watch the full video

"He said the elders of Benin sent a message to Oduduwa requesting him to send his son."

Which part of this is ambiguous or too hard for you to understand.
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by babasolution: 7:22pm On Apr 06
ElSudani:

"He said the elders of Benin sent a message to Oduduwa requesting him to send his son."

Which part of this is ambiguous or too hard for you to understand.

There are missing parts in the clip,look for the full video

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by ElSudani: 7:25pm On Apr 06
babasolution:

There are missing parts in the clip,look for the full video

My friend, you are talking nonsense.
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by Houseontherock1: 7:27pm On Apr 06
Tranquillity360:
My Awori friend will blow your jaw if you call him Yoruba
The Awori people will blow your imaginary Awori friend's jaw if he calls them non-yorubas undecided
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by babasolution: 7:34pm On Apr 06
ElSudani:

My friend, you are talking nonsense.

This is an edited clip,look for the full unedited video,he mentioned that Oduduwa was an exiled Benin prince

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by ElSudani: 7:45pm On Apr 06
babasolution:

This is an edited clip,look for the full unedited video,he mentioned that Oduduwa was an exiled Benin prince

He never said anything like that. If he did, then show us the unedited version.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by babasolution: 8:32pm On Apr 06
ElSudani:

He never said anything like that. If he did, then show us the unedited version.

You'll discover one day,I'll leave you ignorant

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by ElSudani: 8:44pm On Apr 06
babasolution:

You'll discover one day,I'll leave you ignorant

Why don't you simply show me evidence now and cure my "ignorance"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by babasolution: 8:46pm On Apr 06
ElSudani:

Google it,it's everywere, I no get strength for that
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by ElSudani: 8:47pm On Apr 06
babasolution:

Google it,it's everywere, I no get strength for that

You are a bullshitter, nothing to Google.
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by Ologbo147: 5:01am On Apr 07
ElSudani:

I will cure your ignorance, he said it, I am here to do so, cc babasolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpgL7dZh0w?si=3SCNSu9gJ7pSX6yf

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by Ologbo147: 5:25am On Apr 07
Iamgrey5:
The first history of ife/Bini origin was written by a Bini man.

Ask why the new generation of Bini are trying to rewrite his book.

And why Bini bear Yoruba names but Yoruba don't bear Bini names.

Not even the ones that claim to come from Bini in Lagos.
There is no big deal in correcting or making amends in areas where we feel Bini’s history was misplaced. You cannot overrely on Egharevba’s narrative because it consciously suits your motives when there are blatant and brazen errors to it.

Several scholars have criticized Egharevba’s work for what it is, a sham

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by NaijaPrince18: 5:36am On Apr 07
Iamgrey5:
The first history of ife/Bini origin was written by a Bini man.

Ask why the new generation of Bini are trying to rewrite his book.

And why Bini bear Yoruba names but Yoruba don't bear Bini names.

Not even the ones that claim to come from Bini in Lagos.
The new ones are fake bini. Cowards. The one of Benin is not Yoruba but oduduwa is from Benin. Ask them how that makes sense and you won’t get answer
Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by Ologbo147: 5:44am On Apr 07
You guys go online and look for edited videos not knowing the internet is for everyone,

What does not make sense is elders of a place going to invite a total stranger they don’t know

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by AreaFada2: 3:41pm On Apr 07
babasolution:
There is lazy system of history which the Yorubas are fund of .

They rely on only a limited source of written histories or tales and they rely totally and absolutely on these limited sources without question.

There are several and numerous researches even by Yoruba researchers on various Yoruba groups and neighbours, some are available online while some are only accessed via libraries.

In history studies all sides must be considered and conclusions are hardly made until authentic proofs are found.

What I have observed about Yoruba people is that they focus on few probably not well researched historic texts and jump to conclusions especially those that elevate the Yoruba status or claim other groups are derived from Yoruba.

This is a very unintelligent way of understanding history and origins what more from a people that claim to be intellectually advanced and sophisticated.

The popular claims of ile-ife origins of various nonyoruba groups have been severally debunked by independent researchers but they refuse to accept it.

Even within Yoruba itself ,various groups have different origin claims,eg the ijebu and parts of ondo and ekiti.

The Benin IFE relationship is dynamic and the claim of the ancestors of the oba of Benin being Yoruba is complex and cannot be as simple as the Oduduwa son ,oromiyan claim.

Some research as even faulted the claim that oromiyan founded Oyo.

There are modern books written that debunks alot of the IFE Oduduwa claims.

The fact is the Yorubas who were one of the earliest western educated groups in Nigeria propagated these ile-ife claims that elevated the Yoruba status among tribes,many other groups who received their early Western education later,in some cases via these Yoruba people unwittingly distorted their own history by picking their sources from the Yoruba documentation,modern research as debunked alot of these fake histories and claims by the Yoruba.

Akoko-edo is not Yoruba
I believe the problem now is that it has become an ethnic, supremacy and political fight. Not about thorough research. We have discussed Benin-Yoruba issue here for over a decade now. It typically degenerates to insults.

I have even offered to take anybody willing to go to Eastern Yorubaland to see thriving Edo origin communities and Obas.

I also hereby add on top to invite in the opposite direction to see Yoruboid communities in Edo.

To speak to both sides about their history.

But people seem more interested in arguing, ranting and swearing than facts finding.

Now, as for Egharevba and his A Short History of Benin, it was a good attempt at putting things together in terms of trying the bridge the lacuna on written Benin History as a whole. Benin history presented hitherto mostly in smaller bits and European records in the written form. However, it is vast in oral form and in sculpture, carving, worship, festivals, ceremonies, rituals, etc. But like any pioneer work, it clearly had limitations due to limited resources and research to rely on at the time.

So, we cannot rely on it as if it was a Bible. Same applies to a lot of books on history.

If we cannot be objective, dispassionate and open-minded in our approach to learning history, we won't get very far.

It is not a competition or fight BUT 9ja seem to fight over everything: politics, resource control, religion, palliatives, ethnic issues, history, everything.

Automaticmotors
Gregyboy
Etinosa
samuk

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba History Revisionist Tendencies Must Stop by babasolution: 6:32pm On Apr 07
AreaFada2:

I believe the problem now is that it has become an ethnic, supremacy and political fight. Not about thorough research. We have discussed Benin-Yoruba issue here for over a decade now. It typically degenerates to insults.

I have even offered to take anybody willing to go to Eastern Yorubaland to see thriving Edo origin communities and Obas.

I also hereby add on top to invite in the opposite direction to see Yoruboid communities in Edo.

To speak to both sides about their history.

But people seem more interested in arguing, ranting and swearing than facts finding.

Now, as for Egharevba and his A Short History of Benin, it was a good attempt at putting things together in terms of trying the bridge the lacuna on written Benin History as a whole. Benin history presented hitherto mostly in smaller bits and European records in the written form. However, it is vast in oral form and in sculpture, carving, worship, festivals, ceremonies, rituals, etc. But like any pioneer work, it clearly had limitations due to limited resources and research to rely on at the time.

So, we cannot rely on it as if it was a Bible. Same applies to a lot of books on history.

If we cannot be objective, dispassionate and open-minded in our approach to learning history, we won't get very far.

It is not a competition or fight BUT 9ja seem to fight over everything: politics, resource control, religion, palliatives, ethnic issues, history, everything.

Automaticmotors
Gregyboy
Etinosa
samuk

Well said

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imo Youth Forum Lagos State Chapter / See How "LESS" Everything Around Us Is Becoming / That Typical Naija Menality

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.