Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:26 AM

Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply (13959 Views)

Discos Struggle To Satisfy Band A Customers Over Gas Shortage / Discos Post 37 Apologies To Band A Customers In 1 Week / Petrol Importers, Power Firms Behind Anti-akpabio Plot (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by OmoOshodi(m): 5:11pm On Apr 07
This scam will favour me and my family

1 Like

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:11pm On Apr 07
jmoore:

Electricity tariff in Texas is 15 cents per kwh. Why should that of Nigeria be more expensive than those in Texas?

Texas and the USA also charge the kind of tax that they don't charge here to pay for it. And the texan economy is bigger than most countries

Nigeria is a broke country run by corrupt people. That's why we can't have good things, and if we get them, we get a big debt because we ain't earning enough.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by ariesbull: 5:12pm On Apr 07
WE ARE TEACHING OMO IBO A LESSON ..... DONT WORRY
slivertongue:
energy scam

1 Like

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Maj196(m): 5:14pm On Apr 07
Thank God dem just put me for Band B jeje. Band A na scam
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:15pm On Apr 07
ariesbull:
WE ARE TEACHING OMO IBO A LESSON ..... DONT WORRY

Tinubu is a mess, but we have had bad power long before he came and even if obi won, unless he removed subsides totally on electricity and petroleum, we would still have bad power supply
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Brendaniel: 5:17pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Texas and the USA also charge the kind of tax that they don't charge here to pay for it. And the texan economy is bigger than most countries

Nigeria is a broke country run by corrupt people. That's why we can't have good things, and if we get them, we get a big debt because we ain't earning enough.

So according to you what exactly is the cost reflective tariff Nigerians need to pay to enjoy 24hrs light since you say Nigerians are not paying enough even when it is higher than that of Texas?

How much exactly should we pay per kilo watt to get 24 hrs light?

5 Likes

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Tealcrestmedia(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07
What investments have these discos done in the sector to warrant this kind of exploitation?if your transformer and it's accessories gets damaged, you are to replace it through communal efforts or pay off some useless outstanding first before they will pretend to provide any of those stuffs damaged.

The band A feeders will be out for hours due to "fault", feeders are sectioned arbitrarily to isolate some Tee-offs all in the name of fault clearance, but at the end of the day, everyone is made to pay for a fathom 20hours daily supply. Smh

3 Likes

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by blackgold2018(m): 5:17pm On Apr 07
Artscollection:
Agbadorians literally plunge Nigerians into this mess.
These power grabbers came to squeeze life out of every living thing. Anti people policies from day one lipsrsealed
How can you be increasing the cost of production while expecting new investors.
the mumu power minister even said other countries pay heavily for their light.

But the mumu forgot our countries 30k minimum wage. Comparing Nigeria with western countries with the best minimum wage
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by motionarena: 5:18pm On Apr 07
I don't mind being in Band A at least I must get 20hrs daily in order to reduce expenses on Fuel
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Anatolia: 5:20pm On Apr 07
What kind of subsidy are you paying for supplying nothing. Anytime they want to generate more revenue, they will claim they are paying subsidies. The three major tools of an evil government are bribery, propaganda and intimidation and we can see that in action.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:21pm On Apr 07
Brendaniel:

So according to you what exactly is the cost reflective tariff Nigerians need to pay to enjoy 24hrs light since you say Nigerians are not paying enough even when it is higher than that of Texas?

How much exactly should we pay per kilo watt to get 24 hrs light?

As much as the companies need to pay for gas, improvements, expansions and so forth.

Personally I think we need at least 250 per kWh. Or 19 cents per kWh.

You can disagree but as nairametrics put it we need 100 billion over 5 years to see how we can fix this thing. Best way to do it is to let the free market work, attract investment and see if things don't work
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by SenecaTheYonger: 5:21pm On Apr 07
Omo after this increase, them no come dey bring iight at all oh. Abi anybody still dey get light?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Babamide(m): 5:22pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:
Power supply is atrocious because for decades we have been on subsidized power. The result is that the sector was not able to make enough money to keep running well.

Even now tinubu is still paying subsides for bands b to band d.

When the subsidy removal happens properly ( apc wants power and if keeping subsidy means they win they will bring it back), prices will shoot up so that money would be made to fix things up then when investment flows in as a result, prices might come down.

As seen in the GSM sector.

We've been lying to ourselves for decades. Now, thanks to years of subsidy and years of looting , we have to face the truth. Even apc
You are talking nonsense. The government only subsidized power distribution because they sold to distribution companies that don't have any capacity. Electricity generation and transmission is still solely done by the government so they cannot claim to be subsidizing that. With all the subsidy being paid to distribution companies, they cannot meter customers completely and effectively, the do not replace infrastructure when faulty, they cannot even categorize and identify customers.

3 Likes

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Brendaniel: 5:22pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

As much as the companies need to pay for gas, improvements, expansions and so forth.

Personally I think we need at least 250 per kWh. Or 19 cents per kWh.

You can disagree but as nairametrics put it we need 100 billion over 5 years to see how we can fix this thing. Best way to do it is to let the free market work, attract investment and see if things don't work

And if it doesn't work like how other increments didn't work to improve the power supply, what happens?

1 Like

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:26pm On Apr 07
SenecaTheYonger:
Omo after this increase, them no come dey bring iight at all oh. Abi anybody still dey get light?

We need 30000 mw at least before we can see light 24/7. That's a lot of money and total deregulation, not the partial one tinubu is doing is a start.

Back when sim cards were costing 10000 naira or more, service was bad because the GSM companies had to build things from scratch. Nitel had zero GSM infrastructure for them to work with. That's why GSM was expensive until investment and completion came in eventually

Our power sector, even at 22000 mw the current. Installed capacity cannot give us light at all for 24/7. The transmission system was new in the 1970s. Both need fixing, and it is billions of dollars before we can see some sense.

I wish there was another way. Solar can only do so much
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:29pm On Apr 07
Brendaniel:

And if it doesn't work like how other increments didn't work to improve the power supply, what happens?

Things take time. We have a electricity sector that hasn't had major investment for decades. With a transmission system that is getting upgraded to transmit 25000 mw after decades of no investment, and that 25000 is not going to do nothing.We need 33000 before we can talk of 24/7 power.

Look, I'm not here to defend tinubu . I've been reading up on our power sector since 2013 when I was trying to understand why gej wanted to privatized the thing . And what I read back then opened my eyes. And the painful thing is governments have been doing subsidy instead of free market things.

We are in a bad situation. And getting out of it is not going to take us one month.

It took us 10 years before we had a GSM sector that could do telephony and internet. And it was built from scratch with prices being high.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:30pm On Apr 07
Babamide:

You are talking nonsense. The government only subsidized power distribution because they sold to distribution companies that don't have any capacity. Electricity generation and transmission is still solely done by the government so they cannot claim to be subsidizing that. With all the subsidy being paid to distribution companies, they cannot meter customers completely and effectively, the do not replace infrastructure when faulty, they cannot even categorize and identify customers.

Okay,don't complain. You get what you pay for
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Confirm4real(m): 5:30pm On Apr 07
Useless Corntree cool
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by SPAMBOX7: 5:31pm On Apr 07
Offpoint1:
We are all band A.

Bypass your meters, every government sector is stealing millions from the national treasure. The only thing the masses used to enjoyed has been canceled by bulaba.

So I encourage everyone who can bypass their meter should do so. An average politician steals nothing less than 5m in a month. So bypass the fxxkkn meter if they won't fix the cost.
I concur
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by jubrilELsudan: 5:33pm On Apr 07
YOU NIGERIANS ARE REALLY STUPID SHA

EVEN IF THEY ONLY GIVE POWER FOR ONLY ONE HOUR A DAY....WHO IS LOSING WHO IS GAINING?

IS IT NOT WHEN THERE IS ELECTRICITY THAT THE METER WILL BE READING?

ABI DOES PREPAID METER READ AGAIN WHEN THERE IS NO LIGHT?

Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Wallade(m): 5:38pm On Apr 07
Godszilla:

https://punchng.com/band-a-customers-decry-extortion-by-power-firms-amid-poor-supply/

I read about a situation where the Minister of Power - Adelabu - received gratification from the TCN boss in form of an SUV.

He would be incompetent after all.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:38pm On Apr 07
Offpoint1:
We are all band A.

Bypass your meters, every government sector is stealing millions from the national treasure. The only thing the masses used to enjoyed has been canceled by bulaba.

So I encourage everyone who can bypass their meter should do so. An average politician steals nothing less than 5m in a month. So bypass the fxxkkn meter if they won't fix the cost.

Good, so all the power companies collapse, people lose their jobs and we still have bad light.

If you were a businessman, you won't sell your goods for free or at half price to help the poor.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by ogolemati: 5:41pm On Apr 07
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin fire everywhere city boy want to light Nigeria like he light Lagos State.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Watinhapen(m): 5:41pm On Apr 07
For almost a week now I haven’t seen light. Thank God it’s prepaid I’m using. I & PHCN people would’ve engaged in physical combat. Price of fuel is high, light high, food high, everything in Nigeria high but salary low.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Free2Fly: 5:43pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:
Power supply is atrocious because for decades we have been on subsidized power. The result is that the sector was not able to make enough money to keep running well.

Even now tinubu is still paying subsides for bands b to band d.

When the subsidy removal happens properly ( apc wants power and if keeping subsidy means they win they will bring it back), prices will shoot up so that money would be made to fix things up then when investment flows in as a result, prices might come down.

As seen in the GSM sector.

We've been lying to ourselves for decades. Now, thanks to years of subsidy and years of looting , we have to face the truth. Even apc

You comfortably live outside Nigeria and vomit these same rubbish each time subsidy is mentioned.

Why don't you go back to Nigeria, earn the prevailing wage there, provide your own security, supply your own water & electricity, repair roads by yourself, pay out of pocket for healthcare services, hustle for private schools for your kids, etc, and still support subsidy removal?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Wallade(m): 5:45pm On Apr 07
jubrilELsudan:
YOU NIGERIANS ARE REALLY STUPID SHA

EVEN IF THEY ONLY GIVE POWER FOR ONLY ONE HOUR A DAY....WHO IS LOSING WHO IS GAINING?

IS IT NOT WHEN THERE IS ELECTRICITY THAT THE METER WILL BE READING?

ABI DOES PREPAID METER READ AGAIN WHEN THERE IS NO LIGHT?

Hmm. You have brought your daft mind to the table. Between you and Nigerians, who do you think is stupid?

The increased rate is expected to be applied for consumers who access power for 20-24hrs per day. But the situation now is that those customers will not get that up to 20hrs of power supply in a day yet they will be charged at the increased rate.

You see that you are sick in the mind, unintelligent and perhaps lack comprehensice skills.
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:46pm On Apr 07
Free2Fly:

You comfortably live outside Nigeria and vomit these same rubbish each time subsidy is mentioned.

Why don't you go back to Nigeria, earn the prevailing wage there, provide your own security, supply your own water & electricity, repair roads by yourself, pay out of pocket for healthcare services, hustle for private schools for your kids, etc, and still support subsidy removal?

Okay, don't complain about power, Iranian
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Cj4charles(m): 5:48pm On Apr 07
We have to start standing against some of these government policies... this policies are killing the nation and some people are still out there praising the wicked government just because he's their tribesmen or the are benefiting something from the government coffer
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by CrossRhodes: 5:48pm On Apr 07
Godszilla:

https://punchng.com/band-a-customers-decry-extortion-by-power-firms-amid-poor-supply/
One mugu here said the minister has first class accounting.....that makes him excellent for the job.
These are people that are supposedly learned...
Phew!!
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by Wallade(m): 5:49pm On Apr 07
nairalanda1:

Things take time. We have a electricity sector that hasn't had major investment for decades. With a transmission system that is getting upgraded to transmit 25000 mw after decades of no investment, and that 25000 is not going to do nothing.We need 33000 before we can talk of 24/7 power.

Look, I'm not here to defend tinubu . I've been reading up on our power sector since 2013 when I was trying to understand why gej wanted to privatized the thing . And what I read back then opened my eyes. And the painful thing is governments have been doing subsidy instead of free market things.

We are in a bad situation. And getting out of it is not going to take us one month.

It took us 10 years before we had a GSM sector that could do telephony and internet. And it was built from scratch with prices being high.

Is there any country in the world that doesn't do subsidy on any essential or basic necessity good or service?

Tell me why government should subsidize electricity or power?
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by nairalanda1(m): 5:50pm On Apr 07
Wallade:

Is there any country in the world that doesn't do subsidy on any essential or basic necessity good or service?

Tell me why government should subsidize electricity or power?

Countries that subsidze also tax well well. Too well
Re: Band A Customers Decry Extortion By Power Firms Amid Poor Supply by tnerro1(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07
I put water for freezer since last month, e never still block till now and them say na band A we Dey, no be juju be that☹️

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Peter Obi Denies Receiving Any Private Jet Donation For His Campaign / Shehu Sani: It’s Sad That Many Parties Can’t Even Afford Poling Agents / Garba Shehu refutes Sahara Reporters' Report, Denies writing stories for NAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.