Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa (28845 Views)

Rivers State Completes Rumuola Flyover In Port Harcourt (Pictures & Video) / Buhari Completes The 10-Lane Superhighway Linking Port Harcourt & Oyigbo (Video) / China Completes It's £9 Billion Mega Airport In Beijing After 4 Years (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:59pm On Apr 07
BREAKING: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa

A British man, Russ Cook, has run the length of Africa after a gruelling challenge that has taken nearly a year.

Russ Cook, from Worthing, West Sussex, was joined by supporters as he crossed the finish line in Ras Angela, Tunisia, the most northern point of the African continent on Sunday.

Cook, who calls himself the "Hardest Geezer" had set off on Sunday, his final day of the challenge in Tunisia.

He had been running for more than 350 days and completed the equivalent of 385 marathons.

"One more day, one final push to get this thing done," he said to Sky News shortly after setting off, with sports correspondent Rob Harris trying to keep up.

Mr Cook said he'd had a "few tears" this morning but had got it out of his system.

"352 days on the road is a long time without seeing family, my girlfriend. My body is in a lot of pain but I've only got one day, I'm not about to complain."

He says he will become the first person to run the full length of Africa if he completes the challenge.

He began his journey at Cape Agulhas, South Africa - the southernmost point of the African continent - in April 2023.

Mr Cook has been raising money for two charities along the way and has recently seen a surge in donations.

According to Sky News, he is fundraising for The Running Charity, which supports the mental health of young people with complex needs or who are homeless, and Sandblast which educates people about Sahrawi culture.

But his journey hasn't always been smooth.

In Angola, he and his team were robbed at gunpoint. They had cameras, phones and passports stolen.

Then in August, Mr Cook went missing. He was separated from his supporters for days in the jungle in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

They eventually managed to free him by paying off villagers who were armed with machetes.

And in January, he turned to social media to help get a visa to cross the border from Mauritania into Algeria.

At the time, he said his challenge could end without the visa as there was "no other way" for him to reach the northern tip of Africa.

"It is all hanging in the balance, to be honest," he posted.

After a huge social media campaign, the Algerian Embassy said it would grant him a courtesy visa "on the spot", meaning he could cross the border.

Although the run across Africa is his biggest challenge, it isn't his first.

At 22, Mr Cook ran from Asia to England, completing 71 marathons in 66 days.

He had only run the Brighton Marathon before he decided to run from Asia to England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OW5Lm05RI

SaharaReporters

21 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07
See also

Female Solo Driver, Pelumi Nubi Arrives In Nigeria After Road Trip From London To Lagos, Receives Heroic Welcome.

https://saharareporters.com/2024/04/07/female-solo-driver-pelumi-nubi-arrives-nigeria-after-road-trip-london-lagos-receives

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by CCIA: 5:01pm On Apr 08
grin

And no fūcks given. cool

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by BondRiv: 5:01pm On Apr 08
Bs

1 Like

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by trevorlinda: 5:02pm On Apr 08
Enough strength

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by BOSSkesh(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
Nigeria will be great
Nigeria will rise
And all her enemies will be put to shame
Elo fokan bale
Check my signature for free stuffs!!!

98 Likes

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by BiGVEEN58(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
(in the voice of maleke) - Who send am? E wan kill himself? Make una leave am make him die nah..

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by socialmediaman: 5:02pm On Apr 08
With the scarcity of things to claim credit for, don’t be surprised if this type of thing shows up on the list of government’s one year achievements in office grin

Don’t come here to claim maturity, your candidate claimed Donald Duke’s photo as his on his official website for months till he was called out

11 Likes

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by HardBishop: 5:02pm On Apr 08
Some white are just nasty....... They don't know that some black nation's practice cannibalism.
Pray for his safety

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by aybabz101: 5:02pm On Apr 08
Wahala go dey im own... some people go dey find am up and down.....

Make him go use im talent for Olympics

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by DropsMic(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
Yeah right. I totally believe this story
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by HAD3S(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
Congratulations to him
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Newyorkitis(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08
Nice maddnesss

1 Like

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Austindark(m): 5:03pm On Apr 08
The priorities of the whites dudes are very strange and different to our priorities.
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Thundafireseun: 5:03pm On Apr 08

This one nah mad man ooo , with a death wish

No Nigerian will attempt to break this kinda record when we never see food chop 1st…

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Macheque: 5:03pm On Apr 08
grin grin
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by C2Ok: 5:04pm On Apr 08
tongue
I wanna run the length of the UK
WHERE MY PASSPORT AT?? cheesy
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by ngwaIgbo223: 5:04pm On Apr 08
Lying bastard...these resourcesless homo eractus won't survive without piece of meat from Africa since centuries.

Go and run around south America...yeye man.

89 Likes

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by meobizy(f): 5:04pm On Apr 08
Congratulations. I love these people.
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by papyjaypaul: 5:05pm On Apr 08
These people did not discover lands but they went through lands. They came and told us Christopher Columbus discovered water and bread. grin
Mungo Park toured River Niger, then discovered it. Thanks to social media.

6 Likes

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by seunlayi(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08
Okay
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Judolisco(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08
Na person wey Don chop belleful dey run up and down grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Passionate888: 5:05pm On Apr 08
Impressive

1 Like

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by GanagiBitrus: 5:06pm On Apr 08
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Kaa4(m): 5:06pm On Apr 08
All these are clout chasing and attention seeking. I will do my own; I will walk from here in Lagos throughout the world and be back to Lagos in 50 days.
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by puskin: 5:07pm On Apr 08
Foreigners, Europeans, whites just like living simple crazy and their best lives

1 Like

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by free2ryhme: 5:09pm On Apr 08
OLAADEGBU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5OW5Lm05RI

SaharaReporters

fear any white man wey get Cook as surname/last name
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by free2ryhme: 5:11pm On Apr 08
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Angelfrost(m): 5:11pm On Apr 08
Well done to him...!

Nothing as sweetly fulfilling as someone achieving his life's goals.
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Skillsnigeria: 5:12pm On Apr 08
Okay
Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by Zooposki(f): 5:13pm On Apr 08
Spiritually it means the white man has conquered the whole of Africa. Very soon the African man will go into chains again. Make una dey there dey look like mumu.

1 Like

Re: Russ Cook: British Man Completes Challenge To Run Length Of Africa by sofeo(m): 5:13pm On Apr 08
Congratulations to him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari Orders Repatriation Of Nigerians Stranded In Russia / Train Commences Haulage From Warri To Itakpe For AKK Gas Project (Photos, Video) / My Two Sons Traveled To Europe By Desert - Nigerian Benin Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.