Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,439 members, 7,819,613 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:09 PM

Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies (1149 Views)

Mother Beats Her Teenage Daughter After Seeing Her With A Boy / Husband In Tears As Wife Showers Praises On Him For Being A Good Hubby / Man Impregnates Mother, Teenage Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Ilekokonit: 12:08am On Apr 09
I shower in front of my 18-year-old daughter and she's seen me naked since she was a baby - people say it's wrong, but I'm teaching her body confidence
A mother still showers in front of her 18-year-old daughter - to show her what a real body looks like.

Angela Karanja, 48, from Banbury, Oxfordshire, has been stripping off in front of Dee since she was a baby.

She sees no point in stopping now, even though Dee is an adult - beacause she wants to teach her about being comfortable in her own skin.

Psychologist Angela said she wants her daughter to know that bodies on social media aren't real.

She said: 'Our bodies are the vessels that we have to live in. This is what we have, we should be happy and proud of it.

'Especially for girls, I think if we don't show them what is real when they grow older they will get subjected to a lot of Photoshopped pictures and think they are not enough.

'My idea is to show them what is real and when they see an edited picture it doesn't threaten them and they know they are enough.'

Daughter, Dee Karanja, 18, a student, said: 'This has made me feel comfortable because now I know what reality is like.

'We may not always love our bodies, but even so we should respect it because we only get one body.

'If we love our bodies then no matter what anyone says you won't feel bad about yourself.'

Angela said showering in front of her daughter from a young age has helped her daughter become 'confident' and 'happy' in her body.

She said: 'We should help our young people be comfortable with who they are.

'It is so nice to see the confidence in her own self as she has grown.

'We know that people have different body shapes and all sorts, don't forget I have things falling to the south.

'It is important to show people do change.'

Angela said she will also walk around the house naked, and her daughter isn't fazed by this as it is what she has been brought up around.

'First thing in the morning, I will wake up and walk out naked to the bathroom,' she said.

'This is me, this is who I am before I wear clothes.

'When we come to terms with who we are nothing out there threatens you.

'Confidence is not about the clothes I am wearing or the make-up I have.

'Don't get me wrong, I wear nice clothes but it is not to conceal or make people think I am someone else.'

Angela said people will tell her she is brave and some people will question why she does it.

She said she always chooses to 'educate' people on why she does it rather than argue with them.

Angela said: 'People tell me that I am subjecting children to something they shouldn't see.

'I am like, "Ok, you're telling me that my children should not know I have breasts or a bum?".

'When I am naked it is not like I am opening myself up. It is me, being me.

'Those who object say I should not show them my parts but children should know how to feel comfortable in themselves.'

Recently, Bradley Cooper revealed that his dad was 'always nude' and would 'take showers with him' when he was a kid.

Bradley said this has made him comfortable being nude when his six year older daughter is around.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13283783/Mother-shower-daughter-naked-body-confidence.html

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/mum-showers-teenage-daughter-normalise-bodies-101253592.html

1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by MrBrownJay1(m): 12:49am On Apr 09
if it is only single mama with her daughter then cool, but if there is any male in the picture (Father/brother) then i think it will be awkward.

i once saw that shiiiit back in Norway where my "in-laws" came out of the bathroom and walked pass me BUTTNAKED (with no shame in the world).

i guess TO EACH THEIR OWN,

1 Like

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by santaclaws: 1:36am On Apr 09
MrBrownJay1:
if it is only single mama with her daughter then cool, but if there is any male in the picture (Father/brother) then i think it will be awkward.

i once saw that shiiiit back in Norway where my "in-laws" came out of the bathroom and walked pass me BUTTNAKED (with no shame in the world).

i guess TO EACH THEIR OWN,

You can see the picture, of course it's a mother and her daughter. No normal father would bathe with his daughter, it makes no sense. Even bathing with your son as a man in today's society would be seen negatively...

So your in-laws like some nudity lol... That's probably their own way of welcoming you to the family 😆

Scandinavians have a weird culture, but hope say e no pass that one sha 👀
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Kobojunkie: 2:06am On Apr 09
I think this sort of positive reinforcement should become a tradition in more African homes/communities, with mothers teaching their daughters to embrace and own the bodies they are born with. Same of course for the males. This culture of body shaming which has been a norm for many generations should be done away with. lipsrsealed
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Kobojunkie: 2:08am On Apr 09
santaclaws:
â–  You can see the picture, of course it's a mother and her daughter. No normal father would bathe with his daughter, it makes no sense. Even bathing with your son as a man in today's society would be seen negatively...
So your in-laws like some nudity lol... That's probably their own way of welcoming you to the family 😆 Scandinavians have a weird culture, but hope say e no pass that one sha 👀
I have great respect for cultures that encourage individuals to embrace and own the body are born with and to respect that of others as well. undecided

1 Like

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by santaclaws: 2:12am On Apr 09
Kobojunkie:
I have great respect for cultures that encourage individuals to embrace the body they are each born with. And respect that of others as well. undecided

Won ti ri e...😒
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by MrBrownJay1(m): 2:20am On Apr 09
santaclaws:
You can see the picture, of course it's a mother and her daughter. No normal father would bathe with his daughter, it makes no sense. Even bathing with your son as a man in today's society would be seen negatively...

So your in-laws like some nudity lol... That's probably their own way of welcoming you to the family 😆

as much as mothers and daughters are close, i think after a certain age there needs to be some privacy between mum and daughter. but hey, some may be closer to their child than other, but yeah i dont think this stuff could/should happen with a dad and son.
my in-laws are not nudists o, but at the same time they were not that heavy on it hiding their nudity in the morning... aka coming out of the bathroom naked or leaving the door of bathroom open type of shiit.

Kobojunkie:
I think this sort of positive reinforcement should become a tradition in more African homes/communities, with mothers teaching their daughters to embrace the bodies they are born with. Same of course for the males. This culture of body shaming which has been a norm for many generations should be done away with. lipsrsealed

but body positivity can also have an impact on that said child who is open minded about it, and who may be viewed as something else by other kids (especially boys). imagine Nigeria where even seeing a woman not wearing a bra (aka tittays jiggling under her top), makes some men lose their goddamn minds.

1 Like

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Ahmed0336(m): 2:47am On Apr 09
This is so un African.

Tufiakwa!!!!!

Body confidence rubbish undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Usmanovic95(m): 4:18am On Apr 09
Thumbs up to the camera man. Dope pictures
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Osiris12: 5:28am On Apr 09
My mind just dey put Bryon long for the picture
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Natbrowny: 5:37am On Apr 09
Ur daughter MAY END UP BEEN A lesbian esp in today's world wey everytyn be like inverted cross.

Coz she'll never be comfortable bathing alone. When she leaves ur house for school.

She'll find someone to replace you and its not gonna be a boy

Teaching her body confidence kill u there. Small trigger, babe is gone to the next babe

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by FRANCISTOWN: 5:52am On Apr 09
Ha! My fathers would say "longevity or not seeing evil. You'd have to choose one"

How many years have I lived gan that I've started seeing evil.

Teaching confidence by being naked around your kid who is now grown?

I now believe that every second at one particular place on earth, someone, somewhere is moving mad.

These people have an agenda. Don't you see they be trying to push incest and homosexuality?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Farrason: 7:10am On Apr 09
FRANCISTOWN:
Ha! My fathers would say "longevity or not seeing evil. You'd have to choose one"

How many years have I lived gan that I've started seeing evil.

Teaching confidence by being naked around your kid who is now grown?

I now believe that every second at one particular place on earth, someone, somewhere is moving mad.

These people have an agenda. Don't you see they be trying to push incest and homosexuality?

You have the very eyes of our fathers. My people do not be deceived. The world did not start today. Do not allow the media push such beliefs into our system. It's utterly wrong.

I do not down play the affection of mother and daughter or building body confidence but is bathing with her at adult age, the only way to teach her thIs supposed moral.

Shalom!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by LeeSmart: 8:09am On Apr 09
Kobojunkie:
I think this sort of positive reinforcement should become a tradition in more African homes/communities, with mothers teaching their daughters to embrace the bodies they are born with. Same of course for the males. This culture of body shaming which has been a norm for many generations should be done away with.
Junkie, you can embrace watever culture of the whites but frown wen it comes to embracing africas masculine culture abi?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Kobojunkie: 10:12am On Apr 09
LeeSmart:
∆ Junkie, you can embrace watever culture of the whites but frown wen it comes to embracing africas masculine culture abi?
I don't simply embrace cultures/ideas just for the heck of it. There is a very good reason why no one should either. undecided
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by CandidAdmin(m): 11:15am On Apr 09
There should be an age where one should stop.
Also considering the rate of homosexuality, one should make sure one mustn't preach the wrong message.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by Biglittlelois(f): 11:43am On Apr 09
I get the naked part but the bathing together is what I don't understand, to what end?

2 Likes

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by KingLennon(m): 12:30pm On Apr 09
As a red cap chief, I find this appalling. Let's leave all this western theories and do our own thing. This is wrong from all angles sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by KingEarnest(m): 12:51pm On Apr 09
Osiris12:
My mind just dey put Bryon long for the picture
Bryon Long na camera-man?
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by DeathToSimps: 12:53pm On Apr 09
santaclaws:

criminal hoe Biden bathed with his daughter. The pedophile will be arrested soon once Trump is back in office.
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by brain54(m): 12:56pm On Apr 09
Teaching gone too far...

Nothing wrong with teaching your daughter to be confident in her own skin. Is this the best and only way to teach her?

This is extreme. Too much of everything is bad.

Na so lesbianism take dey start!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by santaclaws: 1:43pm On Apr 09
DeathToSimps:
criminal hoe Biden bathed with his daughter. The pedophile will be arrested soon once Trump is back in office.

LOL... 😂😂😂
Re: Mum Says She Showers In Front Of Teenage Daughter To Normalise Bodies by BondRiv: 6:19pm On Apr 09
Has Bradley Cooper lost his mind? He shouldn't be comfortable being nude around his six years old daughter. If it was a male child, it would have been different.

(1) (Reply)

Grounds For Divorce / What Age Cam Man Stop Sleepping With His Wife In A Family / Okada-Riding Ladies? I Think They'll Surely Thrive!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.