Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee (31381 Views)

CNN Reporter Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Judolisco(m): 6:18pm On Apr 09
E shock am
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Eleohjo: 6:19pm On Apr 09
To those Nigerian citizens currently attacking the Nigerian government, and especially our immigration authorities, due to Mr. Larry Madowo's post complaining about his $215 alleged Nigerian visa payment, do note the following:

The Nigerian visa can be obtained at $25 on arrival for Kenyan citizens, of which Mr. Madowo is one. The $170 is for the biometric fee.

Also, Nigeria has reciprocal visa policies with Mr. Madowo's home country, Kenya. I have been to Kenya multiple times. For many years, Nigerian citizens enjoyed visa-free or visa-on-arrival privileges at Kenyan airports. This was recently revoked. And you do not expect Nigeria to be pleased about this, especially as more Nigerians visit Kenya than vice versa. If Mr. Madowo wants to take a dig at African nations frustrating a "borderless Africa", he should look closer to home.

Moreover, Larry Madowo, who is a CNN correspondent, and who should have known that he is very likely to visit Nigeria, which is Africa's biggest economy, more than once a year, should have applied for a multiple-entry Nigerian visa, which is available to him for five years at a more affordable cost of just $100, which is far cheaper than the Kenyan visa for Nigerians for the same period, and which would have eliminated the need for multiple biometric charges. He would have just needed to do ONE biometric payment.

Larry Madowo did not do his homework correctly. It is entirely the responsibility of a traveller to research the immigration requirements of the country he intends to visit. He was negligent in his responsibilities and is trying to blame Nigeria. For a journalist on a platform like CNN, he has demonstrated a surprising ignorance of non-proprietary information, which can be publicly sourced with a cursory Google search.

What he is complaining of is not even unique to Nigeria, as those Nigerians who are supporting him, due to their disappointment at the results of the last elections, seem not to be aware.

For example, whenever a Nigerian or Kenyan reapplies for a British visa, they MUST still pay for their biometrics and take them, even if they just had them recently. It is a standard practice. It is precisely the same process in Nigeria for which Mr. Madowo is complaining about.

Therefore, prudent individuals choose to apply for a long-term multiple visa, of which the British five-year multiple entry visa costs £771, which is almost ten times the cost of a five-year Nigerian visa. That £771 does not include the cost of Biometrics.

And I saw supposedly enlightened Nigerians, like Dr. Victor Oladokun, of the African Development Bank, commenting on Mr. Madowo's post as though Nigeria had erred and was not acting in line with international best practices.

Can Larry Madowo try the stunt he pulled with Nigeria against the United Kingdom or the United States?

I am proud of my country. I salute the reforms in our immigration system. And I, for one, will not sit idly while Mr. Madowo undermines Nigeria for an oversight he is entirely responsible for.

I visited Kenya with twenty of my friends and family for my fifteenth birthday, and I was asked to pay a bribe at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in the early hours of January 17, 2024. I have documentary and eyewitness evidence and can prove it in court. I am not known as a meticulous record keeper for nothing! However, for the sake of African brotherhood, I kept a lid on this, because "love covers over a multitude of sins."

Mr. Madowo, like a typical African dictator, is only abusing his privileged position in the media industry to bully the Nigerian Immigration Service unnecessarily, and again, I, for one, will not have it!

Reno Omokri

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by smalls001: 6:21pm On Apr 09
SocialJustice:
Shameless country, this is enough reason for whoever has left not to return after acquiring citizenship elsewhere.

You should be ashamed of yourself and your statement. If you don't like it in Nigeria, then get the f**k out. If you are already out, pls stay put wherever you are. You think those giving you citizenship will not remind you one day that you do not belong there. My guy, its simply called "acquiring slavery and NOT citizenship". Clown.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Ofunaofu: 6:21pm On Apr 09
“I love Nigeria, but the visa situation is showing me shege. It’s too much oo! Why this Renewed hopeShege Pro Max?"

The CNN reporter is getting his own dose of the Renewed shege

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Dididrumz(m): 6:22pm On Apr 09
Cooletempa:

Did you read the article or you just opened your mouth before understanding what he wrote?

He obviously didn't read.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by ogolemati: 6:23pm On Apr 09
MemphitzDgreat1:
Fellow Nairalanders,
I think it's high time we need to put a check on the excesses of these mods. Can anyone tell me what was wrong in this that warrants a ban?
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin some of the mods are asslickers to that mudafucker you quote grin angry grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by mclloyd22: 6:24pm On Apr 09
FreeStuffsNG:

https://punchng.com/cnn-reporter-protests-nigerias-215-single-entry-visa-fee/

“How can we achieve a borderless Africa, or the promise of the AfCFTA, if we charge Africans $215 for a single-entry visa?

Na this one funny me pass lol
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by inoki247: 6:25pm On Apr 09
Lol for permit renewal I pay $500 yearly in Ghana as we be same West Africa nd I will still have to pay some bribe wey go make am reach like 750 and $60 for Ecowas renewal yearly all to be taken in Dollars and not even there local currency....

If you're from other part that's not West your renewal is $1000 and first Payment $2000...

Buh I don't understand this our own Visa fees is much Ghana own no pass 10 Cedis or 20 if I can remember 3month...

Africans needs stop ripping each other....

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Emir01: 6:26pm On Apr 09
rayvelez:
Country wey don spoil finish

They should have given him free of charge, most of are just ignorant, how much is US, UK, Canada visa process?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by nedekid: 6:26pm On Apr 09
Our own thing mush sha have kleg. If our government regularly do us like this as if we do not have brains, then get one loud mouth spokesman to talk and explain as if we don't have sense. Do they think foreigners too are Nigerians without sense?
How will you charge money for biometrics, over and over again? Abi persin biometrics de change?
Na so then wan do Id card again after we have voters card, regular old Id card, bvn, nin, passport, state resident id, drivers license etc.
To drive car, 15 documents, truck nko, 25 documents etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:27pm On Apr 09
Doing biometric is not even the problem, but paying 170 dolls every single time? Nigeria my country grin

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Ashirioluwa: 6:28pm On Apr 09
ValCon888:
There's something called Reciprocity. The reporter should first find out how much Nigerians pay for visas to the US.

It will do him good to know the amount is nonrefundable, the rejection rate is extremely high, yet Nigerians pay the same fees every time they apply for a visa to the USA

OP read the post again so you can understand the message. The man used Kenyan passport, and the visa fee for Kenya passport holders is $25.

If you are talking of reciprocity then the visa fee should be zero for Kenyans.

$170 for biometrics is nothing but ripoff.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by frog12: 6:28pm On Apr 09
this man dey complain too much. Other European countries charge far more than this and still DENY us visas without a refund of fees.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by nedekid: 6:28pm On Apr 09
Eleohjo:
To those Nigerian citizens currently attacking the Nigerian government, and especially our immigration authorities, due to Mr. Larry Madowo's post complaining about his $215 alleged Nigerian visa payment, do note the following:

The Nigerian visa can be obtained at $25 on arrival for Kenyan citizens, of which Mr. Madowo is one. The $170 is for the biometric fee.

Also, Nigeria has reciprocal visa policies with Mr. Madowo's home country, Kenya. I have been to Kenya multiple times. For many years, Nigerian citizens enjoyed visa-free or visa-on-arrival privileges at Kenyan airports. This was recently revoked. And you do not expect Nigeria to be pleased about this, especially as more Nigerians visit Kenya than vice versa. If Mr. Madowo wants to take a dig at African nations frustrating a "borderless Africa", he should look closer to home.

Moreover, Larry Madowo, who is a CNN correspondent, and who should have known that he is very likely to visit Nigeria, which is Africa's biggest economy, more than once a year, should have applied for a multiple-entry Nigerian visa, which is available to him for five years at a more affordable cost of just $100, which is far cheaper than the Kenyan visa for Nigerians for the same period, and which would have eliminated the need for multiple biometric charges. He would have just needed to do ONE biometric payment.

Larry Madowo did not do his homework correctly. It is entirely the responsibility of a traveller to research the immigration requirements of the country he intends to visit. He was negligent in his responsibilities and is trying to blame Nigeria. For a journalist on a platform like CNN, he has demonstrated a surprising ignorance of non-proprietary information, which can be publicly sourced with a cursory Google search.

What he is complaining of is not even unique to Nigeria, as those Nigerians who are supporting him, due to their disappointment at the results of the last elections, seem not to be aware.

For example, whenever a Nigerian or Kenyan reapplies for a British visa, they MUST still pay for their biometrics and take them, even if they just had them recently. It is a standard practice. It is precisely the same process in Nigeria for which Mr. Madowo is complaining about.

Therefore, prudent individuals choose to apply for a long-term multiple visa, of which the British five-year multiple entry visa costs £771, which is almost ten times the cost of a five-year Nigerian visa. That £771 does not include the cost of Biometrics.

And I saw supposedly enlightened Nigerians, like Dr. Victor Oladokun, of the African Development Bank, commenting on Mr. Madowo's post as though Nigeria had erred and was not acting in line with international best practices.

Can Larry Madowo try the stunt he pulled with Nigeria against the United Kingdom or the United States?

I am proud of my country. I salute the reforms in our immigration system. And I, for one, will not sit idly while Mr. Madowo undermines Nigeria for an oversight he is entirely responsible for.

I visited Kenya with twenty of my friends and family for my fifteenth birthday, and I was asked to pay a bribe at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in the early hours of January 17, 2024. I have documentary and eyewitness evidence and can prove it in court. I am not known as a meticulous record keeper for nothing! However, for the sake of African brotherhood, I kept a lid on this, because "love covers over a multitude of sins."

Mr. Madowo, like a typical African dictator, is only abusing his privileged position in the media industry to bully the Nigerian Immigration Service unnecessarily, and again, I, for one, will not have it!

Reno Omokri
Oga, kindly explain the $170 for biometric fee to those of us that cannot make sense of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by toprealman: 6:28pm On Apr 09
Ask him how much Nigeria pay for US visa and the rejection rate? Ask him how much they charge Nigerians for test of English exams.
Nigeria is cheap. Charge them in naira….make sure it is at least 1M naira!

2 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by rigid123: 6:29pm On Apr 09
That's how they extort everyone my brother. They hid their police character clearance form's link in their website, you have to pay extra through the back door before you get it. This particular document is free in other countries but there, you pay the government and unseen hands.

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by GardenOfGod(m): 6:30pm On Apr 09
Who is talking about US visa? How some people support evil is heartbreaking
ValCon888:
There's something called Reciprocity. The reporter should first find out how much Nigerians pay for visas to the US.

It will do him good to know the amount is nonrefundable, the rejection rate is extremely high, yet Nigerians pay the same fees every time they apply for a visa to the USA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by StarFist(m): 6:31pm On Apr 09
Tell them my brother..

Infact, the fee suppose to be $1000

ValCon888:
There's

something called Reciprocity. The reporter should first find out how much Nigerians pay for visas to the US.

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by tfelicityk(m): 6:31pm On Apr 09
He should channel his complaint to the minister of interior x handle - the minister will do the needful through the immigration officers on duty the dates he claimed he came to Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Babangidapikin: 6:31pm On Apr 09
The question is how much is the US consulate charging us from our so called third world country, with Visa cancelation headaches . ..Abeg someone play me John Wike song as " As e dey pain them e dey sweet us ".. You are flying into Nigeria almost three times a year ..better set up a business here .

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by StarFist(m): 6:32pm On Apr 09
mohbadliveson:
Cry me a river. US, UK and other African countries doing much worse for Nigerians

Increase your volume please

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by fareed69(m): 6:33pm On Apr 09
Stay in your country if you can't pay.

2 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Rebuke: 6:33pm On Apr 09
The guy be like Kanye West that stopped downloading at 65% cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by iamoyindamola(m): 6:41pm On Apr 09
I think you paid some owo mida
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by slowice(m): 6:42pm On Apr 09
I mean, we now pay for car proof of ownership yearly.

That mean you have to prove that your car belongs to you every year.

A-milo-can is a demonic glutton
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Blackdisciple(m): 6:43pm On Apr 09
Every institution in Nigeria is criminalized already...

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Raylight2(m): 6:45pm On Apr 09
$215 is a lot for Kenyans. I remember paying $52 for their VISA
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by israelmao(m): 6:45pm On Apr 09
Madowo should remain in Kenya or go to somewhere else,coming to Nigeria is not by force.

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Kingzmate(m): 6:45pm On Apr 09
OTI VISA cheesy

OTI DOLLAR PRICE grin
Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Truthsandtrusts: 6:46pm On Apr 09
SocialJustice:
Shameless country, this is enough reason for whoever has left not to return after acquiring citizenship elsewhere.

You dey inside too so you among the shameless people

1 Like

Re: CNN Reporter, Larry Madowo, Protests Nigeria’s $215 Single Entry Visa Fee by Niok: 6:47pm On Apr 09
FreeStuffsNG:
“The visa itself costs $25, but Nigeria charges a $20 ‘processing fee’ and $170 for biometrics every time. My fingerprints haven’t changed since I was here three weeks ago. Why am I paying $170 to have them taken and to pose for a picture each time I visit? Isn’t that a standard part of admitting someone into a country?

“I love Nigeria, but the visa situation is showing me shege. It’s too much oo! Why this Shege Pro Max?”

Larry Madowo made some valid points and it's refreshing that we can get this kind of civil and intellectual feedback.
Thank you Larry for sharing this feedback with love.
Unpatriotic elements, criminal cyberbullies and trolls, take note of how you can make your point without committing criminal defamation and cybercrime.

We need more investors and investments in Lagos and we want Nigeria to be the top destination for Africans and non Africans alike for travel, investment, work, pilgrimage, leisure and permanent relocation to mother Africa by our brothers and sisters who desire to reconnect with their African roots in Ile-Ife Odaaye ( The Source) where creation began.

There's always room for improvement in our processes and the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu does not claim to know it all. Please give your feedback and criticism in a constructive, intelligent and civil way like Madowo just did with facts and figures with no insult and/or criminal cyberbullying. It's always a delight to watch Larry on CNN, absolutely brilliant and courteous professional who makes me proud to be an African each time I watch his news casting, journalistic report presentations and when he conducts interviews on CNN with African artists, techpreneurs, trendsetters etc .

May God bless Nigeria and the African continent. Check my signature for free stuffs!

I wonder what you would have said if it was an Igbo man that made this comment
Foolish old man

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG To Begin Dry Run Ahead Of Domestic Flights Resumption / Pictures Of The Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan Railway / Is This Benin City?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.