Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,531 members, 7,816,297 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon (36063 Views)

Edo Woman & Her SUV Skid Off Muddy Sapele Benin Road, Plunge Into A Ditch / Container Truck Falls From Ojuelegba Bridge, 2 People Confirmed Dead (Photos) / Men Take Selfie After Surviving Fatal Accident That Killed 2 Passengers. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by diamond68: 6:01pm On Apr 10
It’s good. Lagos is too overcrowded. Darwinism let the rats kill themselves
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by yinkeys(m): 6:04pm On Apr 10
Frightening
shocked
For some of us who can’t swim
Oh boy
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by coputa(m): 6:06pm On Apr 10
Dogalmighty17:
English. Imagine the kind of error filled article a journalist posted without proofreading.
please pick out the errors
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Ekaka14: 6:10pm On Apr 10
Litmus:
Personally I'm all for no speed limits on certain roads in Nigeria. However while Lagos govt looks at limiting speeding on Lagos roads, they should also concern themselves with the safety of vehicles that pligh Lagos roads. When watching You Tube Videos on Lagos, especially those featuring the newly renovated bridge, too many vehicles look like deathtrap junks. I'm afraid many of the vehicles I've seen are so mechanically suspect they are quite capable of somersaulting or veering of the bridge and into the lagoon while traveling at 20 mph.

Lagos that is setting herself up as the standard model for all other states of the federation to emulate, should begin to limit the quality and age of vehicles allowed on her roads. The days of making allowances for the less financially able by, for instance, ignoring jalopies , should end. We need to move to the next level.

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Snoolv360(m): 6:20pm On Apr 10
Some people ignore the 80km speed limit since they have not seen a scrape goat yet. Also, most danfos do not have speedometer I wonder how they will know when they are going above the speed limit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Musaspp(m): 6:21pm On Apr 10
Yellow buses, killer buses in Lagos. There are have been serious warning against excessive speed on the newly rehabilitated 3rd mainland bridge. But, trust me these above the law and drunken drivers will not obey traffic regulations and law (Max 80km/h). Crazy idiots!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by FoggedBrain: 6:27pm On Apr 10
dominique:
I'm trying to envision how this happened, did they get flung out of the bus into the lagoon like they're pieces of paper?

You clearly haven't seen an accident seen...the force on impact is really strong even the car could be swung off.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by qtguru(m): 6:31pm On Apr 10
Na wa, Nigerian drivers need sanity test, it's like everyone's mental in Lagos.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by theamazonguru(m): 6:46pm On Apr 10
saasala:
I drove on the bridge just after completion.
I had to give my self brain and stayed on 120.
Haaa 120 k/hr ké
Even this is too much.
Una no dey fear for una life sha.

Life no get duplicate ooh, make una dey take am easy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by nedekid: 6:48pm On Apr 10
Meennn, the fixing of that bridge is simply first class, comparable to the autobahn in Germany. Motorist are urged to control how they speed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Slymonster(m): 7:18pm On Apr 10
Bluntemperor:

•The 80 Km Speed is too much, govt should reduce it to 60 -km and
enforce - Monitor Compliance!
Ni bo lankanju lo gan?( where are you going in haste to?
Kikikikiki!

Design speed for that bridge is 80. If you go below that, there would be traffic. There are places where design speed is 60 but not 3rd mainland
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by CorrectionFLuid: 7:28pm On Apr 10
dominique:
I'm trying to envision how this happened, did they get flung out of the bus into the lagoon like they're pieces of paper?

I'm suspecting it's the 2 passengers in the front seat. If it's a head on collision, they can fly out through the windscreen.

1 Like

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by faceland: 7:34pm On Apr 10
Balablue64:
Wahala for who no sabi swim.

Yeah. Even someone that can swim, it is a lot of hard work to swim that long distance to land... Has to be athletic.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Offpoint1: 7:36pm On Apr 10
saasala:

I will move slower next time.

But baba, people dey blow 160 pass me
We have one life and not everyone values theirs. At 160 they're not only endangering their lives, but that of others.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by phorget(m): 7:37pm On Apr 10
If the road is bad we would complain, if the road is good we kill ourselves by over speeding...
Nigerians are just too difficult to please.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Kingzmate(m): 7:50pm On Apr 10
JESUS shocked

THE DRIVER WAN TEST THE NEW BRIDGE WITH INNOCENT PEOPLE LIFE cool

OVER SPEEDING WITH OVER USED BUS grin

I PRAY THOSE THAT WENT ON STUNT WILL MAKE IT BACK ALIVE angry
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by YourFada2: 9:06pm On Apr 10
Efuaye:
The 80 km speed on that bridge should be strictly monitored and violaters punished, otherwise the government should consider installation of speed breakers on the bridge to save lives!
Great idea for speed breakers but along high way? Wont that be weird?
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by YourFada2: 9:10pm On Apr 10
ntyce:

The problem isn't the speed limit, most of these commercial buses are not even road worthy to speed up to 30km/h..

Unworthy buses and cars should be off the highway.
That’s when you’ll see Papa damola complaining that’s the govt. has taken away his source of living 🥲
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by kenenzo: 9:54pm On Apr 10
saasala:
I drove on the bridge just after completion. It is so smooth and tempting. Something keeps telling you to keep pumping that gas pedal and go even faster, and no matter how fast you go, there is this crazy guy driving a Benz that will zoom off right beside you, making you think you are moving like a snail.

And moving so fast in Nigeria is not like in other advanced countries where other drivers are sane. Here people don't know when to stay on their lane and when to over take. Everyone drives anyhow.

Lol..120 ohh..then imagine those speeding past you..we not flying to heaven,are we?80 jeje..life na only one dey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Kingrshd3: 9:56pm On Apr 10
ntyce:

The problem isn't the speed limit, most of these commercial buses are not even road worthy to speed up to 30km/h..

Unworthy buses and cars should be off the highway.

I'd they do people will still tag government as bad people because that's d bus they are using to make money to feed their families 🤔

Similar happened to okada and keke-napep in some areas in Lagos ..

They won't look at d reasons why d government did that instead they will reason as if it's intentional to starve the masses ☹️
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Trogge: 10:18pm On Apr 10
dominique:
. The 2 person flew out from the windscreen. No seats belt. Was there today it was terrible.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Kekydiv(m): 10:27pm On Apr 10
Lagos bus drivers!!! As they have not seen good roads in their lifetime na.. it’s an opportunity to convert that their push and start patch patch vehicle to Formula One race mode #Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by jessylaurel(f): 10:30pm On Apr 10
coputa:

Vanguard News
© 2024 Vanguard Media Limited, Nigeria

Funny enough some of these passengers don’t talk whenever these drivers are on high speed.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Fujiyama: 4:31am On Apr 11
Emekajacob:
The Niger bridge has it secret history that made the German construction company change her name to Julius Berger.

Coz it was the Julius Berger that accepted to to sacrifice himself to the River goddess after several damages and casualties in the course of the construction.
After the agreement was made, they were able to finish up the work without problems again.
The Man sacrificed himself and the company gave him the honor.

^^^

grin

Complete nonsense.

Julius Berger was formed in the late, late 1800s in Germany and it was awarded its first contract in 1890 in Germany. The company was listed in 1905 in Germany as Julius Berger Tiefbau AG.

The company existed and had its name long before Nigeria came into being...and long, long before the Niger bridge was a thought or dream in anyone's mind.

There is no secret history anywhere about river goddesses or selfless sacrifices by an imaginary employee named Julius in Nigeria. This is a fable. An interesting one but a fable nonetheless.

I hope the degenerate (Phayol81) arguing with me on the other thread about ritual sacrifices in Germany is taking notes.

https://www.julius-berger-int.com/en/company/julius-berger-international
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by MuslimIgbo: 4:52am On Apr 11
saasala:
I drove on the bridge just after completion. It is so smooth and tempting. Something keeps telling you to keep pumping that gas pedal and go even faster, and no matter how fast you go, there is this crazy guy driving a Benz that will zoom off right beside you, making you think you are moving like a snail.

And moving so fast in Nigeria is not like in other advanced countries where other drivers are sane. Here people don't know when to stay on their lane and when to over take. Everyone drives anyhow.

Wey ray
U for manage 150 na
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by lendahand(m): 5:12am On Apr 11
saasala:

lol your 120 on that bridge is still terrible oo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by greypencils: 8:31am On Apr 11
Efuaye:
The 80 km speed on that bridge should be strictly monitored and violaters punished, otherwise the government should consider installation of speed breakers on the bridge to save lives!
As in! The speeding on 3MB is just too much. Where all these mutherfuckers dey rush go?
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by greypencils: 8:34am On Apr 11
ntyce:

Fact is most accidents due to over speeding occur on roads that are very motorable.

Maintenance of the bridge was just completed so your question is off.
Very very off
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by lalabrother: 10:11am On Apr 11
No be who no Sabi swim alone o, wahala go dey for who no Sabi float
Balablue64:
Wahala for who no sabi swim.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by erniok(m): 11:06am On Apr 11
Eriggayabdem:

Yepp.
Implications of the universal laws of motion..
A sudden stop (vehicle hindered by the railings) would have resulted to objects (passengers)not tethered to said vehicle, or not constrained by the vehicle itself, continuing the course of motion through windows .. open or glassed.
Some glasses can withstand the impact of the force moreover, if you are used to Lagos buses, it'd be safe to assume the bus door was open and windows down as at impact time.
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Love800(m): 11:55am On Apr 11
What do you mean by concussion?
spencekat:
Swim after they fit sustain concussion?
Re: Accident on 3rd Mainland Bridge, 2 Passengers Plunge Into Lagoon by Emekajacob(m): 12:01pm On Apr 11
Fujiyama:

^^^

grin

Complete nonsense.

Julius Berger was formed in the late, late 1800s in Germany and it was awarded its first contract in 1890 in Germany. The company was listed in 1905 in Germany as Julius Berger Tiefbau AG.

The company existed and had its name long before Nigeria came into being...and long, long before the Niger bridge was a thought or dream in anyone's mind.

There is no secret history anywhere about river goddesses or selfless sacrifices by an imaginary employee named Julius in Nigeria. This is a fable. An interesting one but a fable nonetheless.

I hope the degenerate (Phayol81) arguing with me on the other thread about ritual sacrifices in Germany is taking notes.

https://www.julius-berger-int.com/en/company/julius-berger-international

You are only reading and reciting edited documents.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Derailed Train At Iju Station Today (photo) / New Lagos BRT Buses Begin Operations At The New Oshodi Bus Terminus - Photos / Turkish Visa Experts Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.