Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,417 members, 7,836,666 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South (4092 Views)

Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West / Top 7 Largest Ethnicities In The North Central / Top Ten Largest Megacities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:18pm On Apr 11
mrvitalis:

How many re they are they upto one ward

Are igbos in CRS,bayelsa,Edo up to a ward?

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:19pm On Apr 11
paramakina202:

Igboid groups in Rivers state are in clear majority.Ijaw people are majority only Bayelsa state.

True igbos are number one at 1.5 mil followed by ijaws at 1.3 mil

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:19pm On Apr 11
successmatters:

Everyone knows this.

Third largest
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:25pm On Apr 11
To be sincerely, I have never seen an Ijaw person in my life but I have seen more than 200 Ibibiod(Including Oron and Anang) people.

I have a feeling that Ibibio and Edo people are more than Ijaw

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:27pm On Apr 11
Armaggedon:
Clown has entered southsouth

South south has four major ethnic groups. Namely:

Igbo (Rivers state, Delta state)

Edoid (Edo state, Urhobo, Isoko and Itshekiri)

Ijaw (Bayelsa state and about 2 LGA of rivers and 3 local government area in Delta state)

Efik/Ibibio ( Cross River and Akwa Ibom)

Of all these groups, Efik/ Ibibio are the largest occupying two state and together numbering about 8million.

Igbos come second occupying 70% of rivers state and 34% of Delta state with minority in cross River, Ika LGA of Akwa Ibom and Igbanke in Edo state. Together they number about 7.5million.

Third is Edoid groups of Bini, Afemai, Esan Urhobo, Itshekiri,Isoko etc occupying Edo and about 14 LGA of Delta state and a minority in Bayelsa. They number about 7. 3 million.

Fourth is Ijoid occupying Bayelsa (only 8 LGA) and about 2 LGA in Rivers and about 3 LGA in Delta.
Note Riverine area of Rivers state is diverse. A lot of area being ascribe to Ijaw are far from being so. Ijaw number about 4million people.

Other minority in South South are
Ogoni
Abua etc
Efik does not even ocuppy the whole of crossrivers.
Efik is just Calabar, Odukpani and parts of Ugep and crossrivers south. Crossriver north and Central speak some other languages.
They are small.

In akwa Ibom, Ibibio is not the same as Anang or Oron. They are different.

With my own personal experience, I hardly see Ijaw people. I think southsouth Igbos are largest.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by successmatters(m): 6:30pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Third largest

According to only you.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by successmatters(m): 6:32pm On Apr 11
FatherOfJesus:
Efik is just Calabar, Odukpani and parts of Ugep and crossrivers south. Crossriver north and Central speak some other languages.
They are small.

With my own personal experience, I hardly see Ijaw people. I think southsouth Igbos are largest.

This is a fact everyone knows, apart from history revisionists.

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:35pm On Apr 11
successmatters:

According to only you.

According to all SS people.those that are saying otherwise are SE people

2 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:35pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Are igbos in CRS,bayelsa,Edo up to a ward?
Although the population of Igbos in crossriver and Edo is very small, but they are certainly more than 1 ward in especially crossriver. Itigidi, the local government headquarters of Abi local government area in crossriver is an Igbo enclave.

Itigidi has more than 1 ward. And itigidi is not only the Igbo speaking community in Crossriver

7 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by successmatters(m): 6:36pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

According to all SS people.those that are saying otherwise are SE people

You, where are you from? grin

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:36pm On Apr 11
FatherOfJesus:
They are small.

Efiks are not in ugep or even akamkpa,they stop at odukpani.ugep and the whole yakurr are yako but efik is the most spoken language in CRS while ejagham is the largest group
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by NaMe4: 6:37pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Yes efik,annang and Ibibio share similarities but are classified as different tribes.each of them see themselves differently so respect that please just as isoko and urhobo are distinct.lets stick to the main issues,don't bring divisions please

Efik/Annang/Ibibio are different tribes, but Delta North tribes who claim Bini ancestry are lumped as Igbos. Okay.

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:38pm On Apr 11
NaMe4:

Efik/Annang/Ibibio are different tribes, but Delta North tribes who claim Bini ancestry are lumped as Igbos. Okay.

I classified so to avoid useless arguments and controversy
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by SS777(m): 6:39pm On Apr 11
garfield1:
1) IJAWS: they number about 5-7 million and are found mainly in bayelsa,rivers, delta and some pockets in Edo,akwa ibom and ondo

2) IBIBIOS: they dominate akwa ibom state and are found in the three senatorial zones of the state.they have a large settler population in cross river and rivers.they number about.2.7 million

3) IGBOS: they are principally present or indigenous to delta and rivers state.to avoid confusion and controversy,I won't count Ikwerre as igbos since majority don't identify as such but I'll count other riverians like etche,omuma,oyigbo,parts of onelga,opobo nkoro,ahoada as Igbo.they number about 2.3 million.

4) URHOBOS: they dominate delta central,parts of warri,parts of sagbama in bayelsa state and number about 2.2.

5) BINIS: they dominate Edo south although some ijaws are found in a few numbers around ovia.they number about 1.5 million

6) ANNANG; they are found in 8 local governments of akwa ibom state and share similar culture with the IBIBIOS,efiks and orons.they number close to 1.4 million

7) OGONI: they are found in four lgas of rivers state and number almost a million.

cool IkWERRE: they predominate 4 lgas in rivers and number about 800,000.

9) ESAN/ISHAN; they occupy five lgas of Edo central and number about 800,000k

10) EJAGHAM: this tribe is found in Nigeria and cameroun.speaking of Nigeria,they are majorly in cross river south and central numbering close to 700k.

Notable mentions include the orons,itsekiri,isoko,ekoi, etsakor and Efiks

Mynd44
Nplfmod
Fergie001
Casualobserver
Coolambience
Mymouth
Efewestern
Cajal
Helinues
Ekpeitit

Shameless people always want to force themselves on other so that they can be relevant.
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:39pm On Apr 11
successmatters:

You, where are you from? grin
I won't tell you.just go through my history
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:39pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Efiks are not in ugep or even akamkpa,they stop at odukpani.ugep and the whole yakurr are yako but efik is the most spoken language in CRS while ejagham is the largest group
You see, that means efik is even smaller than I thought. Same as ibibio.

Just that, as an outside, you can hardly different an ibibio from an Anang and Oron people.
Akwa Ibom also has large population of Igbo speaking communities along Abia state border axis.

2 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by SS777(m): 6:41pm On Apr 11
PresidObi:
I disagree with the OP, igbo is the largest ethnic group in the SS, followed by Ibibio/ Efik, and then Edo and the rest.

Largest tribes in the South South

1. Igbo
2. Efik/Ibibio
3. Urhobo
4. Edo
5. Ijaw

Continue wasting your time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:42pm On Apr 11
Armaggedon:
Ouch!!! It pained him. It happens when one's agenda gets bursted so embarrassingly.

What is more embarrassing is when someone from outside an area blindly argues about an area he is not from with the indigenes of a subject area
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:43pm On Apr 11
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by SS777(m): 6:44pm On Apr 11
Ezeama400:
Stop spreading lies on nairaland despite having accurate figures released by so many credible agencies in Nigeria and beyond about population of ethnicities in Nigeria...

Placing Ijaws ahead of Ibos and Ibibio in SS is the peak of madness in in this your thread..

Even if you crop out entire Ikwere despite having some of them who agree and disagree about their Igbo identity, Ibos are still ahead of Ijaws in SS region followed by Ibibio...

Here is the link of ethnicities in Nigeria, Ibibio is will remain ahead of Ijaws... Population is not all about people that make much noise, it's all about figures on ground and offline..

https://www.nairaland.com/4848276/cia-revision-nigerias-ethnic-religious

Igbo territory end in south east, they are welcome here as migrants.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:45pm On Apr 11
NaMe4:

Does the bini ancestry thing make sense to you?

There's no record or whatsoever of Igbo people colonizing them. How can they claim that because you traded with igbos, you started baring Igbo names and even named your kings Eze. I'm very sure that you re not stupid enough to believe such jargons.
Does that sound stupid to you? Even an idiot should not believe such nonsense.
Those nonsense stories don't exist in history, those guys doing that for poltical reasons

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:45pm On Apr 11
FatherOfJesus:
Although the population of Igbos in crossriver and Edo is very small, but they are certainly more than 1 ward in especially crossriver. Itigidi, the local government headquarters of Abi local government area in crossriver is an Igbo enclave.

Itigidi has more than 1 ward. And itigidi is not only the Igbo speaking community in Crossriver

Oga,itigidi is not Igbo even if they sometimes bear igbotic names.they are agbo if you say they are igbos,then all other agbo communities are Igbo like adadama,imabana,ekureku.they dont identify as igbo please.those that are igbos are isobo in obubra.they are under osopong ward.
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by SS777(m): 6:46pm On Apr 11
Armaggedon:
Clown has entered southsouth

South south has four major ethnic groups. Namely:

Igbo (Rivers state, Delta state)

Edoid (Edo state, Urhobo, Isoko and Itshekiri)

Ijaw (Bayelsa state and about 2 LGA of rivers and 3 local government area in Delta state)

Efik/Ibibio ( Cross River and Akwa Ibom)

Of all these groups, Efik/ Ibibio are the largest occupying two state and together numbering about 8million.

Igbos come second occupying 70% of rivers state and 34% of Delta state with minority in cross River, Ika LGA of Akwa Ibom and Igbanke in Edo state. Together they number about 7.5million.

Third is Edoid groups of Bini, Afemai, Esan Urhobo, Itshekiri,Isoko etc occupying Edo and about 14 LGA of Delta state and a minority in Bayelsa. They number about 7. 3 million.

Fourth is Ijoid occupying Bayelsa (only 8 LGA) and about 2 LGA in Rivers and about 3 LGA in Delta.
Note Riverine area of Rivers state is diverse. A lot of area being ascribe to Ijaw are far from being so. Ijaw number about 4million people.

Other minority in South South are
Ogoni
Abua etc

Igbo own no territories in south south,stop the attachment.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:47pm On Apr 11
FatherOfJesus:
You see, that means efik is even smaller than I thought. Same as ibibio.

Just that, as an outside, you can hardly different an ibibio from an Anang and Oron people.
Akwa Ibom also has large population of Igbo speaking communities along Abia state border axis.

Abia also have a large population of akwa ibom speakers along the border.
Oron is very disting from Ibibio and annang.it is Ibibio and efik that are more close then annsng and ekid
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:48pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Oga,itigidi is not Igbo even if they sometimes bear igbotic names.they are agbo if you say they are igbos,then all other agbo communities are Igbo like adadama,imabana,ekureku.they dont identify as igbo please.those that are igbos are isobo in obubra.they are under osopong ward.
Itigidi speak ikwo Igbo and waawa Igbo along side Agbo.
They are very closely related to ikwo people of ebonyi. Not all of them though. And even Wawaa itigidi is a separate form of Igbo dialect that is in Ebonyi and crossriver.

This is list of all the languages in Abi, local government of Crossriver

From the list, you can see that Igbo, Kohumono and Agbo are the majority in Abi local government.

3 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 6:51pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Abia also have a large population of akwa ibom speakers along the border.
Oron is very disting from Ibibio and annang.it is Ibibio and efik that are more close then annsng and ekid
yes, this is true but you will find more Igbo communities in akwa Ibom than Ibibio communities in Abia.
We are currently talking about igbos in southsouth

4 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Armaggedon: 6:57pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

What is more embarrassing is when someone from outside an area blindly argues about an area he is not from with the indigenes of a subject area
expecially when the person is telling you hurtful truths and providing you facts that you can't disprove. You want to hide under " indigene" to console.

First it was that they don't accept to be called Igbo ( who ever told you that) therefore I will not count them as Igbo. Lol 🤡 clown

Second it was that they are not gazetted as Igbos therefore I will not count them as Igbos. I wonder when government start creating ethnic groups.

You third excuse now is that I am not an indegene. You are practically begging me to stay off the issue so that you'll be free to make wild and self consoling claims about the so called South South.
Are you aware that when Obi wali wanted Rivers state to be in the south East, Riverine groups agreed? cheesy 🤡 clown.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Armaggedon: 6:59pm On Apr 11
SS777:

Igbo own no territories in south south,stop the attachment.
this two weeks shadowy account has come to quote me.

3 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by PressMyButton: 7:11pm On Apr 11
MP3GAGAdotCOM:

Go and read of the origin of Opobo, even akwa ibom was found by an Igbo man..

You punks like to believe adulterated news.
No other tribe except ijaw kings bears the title of Amanayabo. Jaja himself was a slave that was freed and absorbed into ijaw royal house.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 7:14pm On Apr 11
FatherOfJesus:
Itigidi speak ikwo Igbo and waawa Igbo along side Agbo.
They are very closely related to ikwo people of ebonyi. Not all of them though. And even Wawaa itigidi is a separate form of Igbo dialect that is in Ebonyi and crossriver.

This is list of all the languages in Abi, local government of Crossriver

From the list, you can see that Igbo, Kohumono and Agbo are the majority in Abi local government.

Oga,do not be deceived.i know itigidi very well,they don't speak any igbotic language.evej adadama that borders ikwo don't speak ikwo.yes,egboronyi understand igbo.theory is different from practical,go there and see for yourself before concluding

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 7:17pm On Apr 11
PressMyButton:

No other tribe except ijaw kings bears the title of Amanayabo. Jaja himself was a slave that was freed and absorbed into ijaw royal house.

Gbam.that it was founded by an Igbo doesn't mean igbos dominate there

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 7:18pm On Apr 11
garfield1:

Oga,do not be deceived.i know itigidi very well,they don't speak any igbotic language.evej adadama that borders ikwo don't speak ikwo.yes,egboronyi understand igbo.theory is different from practical,go there and see for yourself before concluding
I have been to itigidi via Abaomege in Ebonyi, close Afikpo for an outreach.
That was the first time I knew that part of them speak Igbo.

So it's not a matter of you telling me, i have been there live.

Some part of Ebonyi speak Oring, a crossriverian language as well. As a matter of fact, there are some evidence that Abakaliki was formally an Orring land before the igbos got there.

So there's nothing to be walked up about even igbos speaking communities are in crossrivers but I know you people do this because of politics

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cult Clash Lead Many Dead In Port Harcourt,river State / One of the greatest African Leaders/president :Thomas Sankara / GMB Unhappy With PROF Osibanjo Nomination? (check Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.