Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,243 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South (3767 Views)

Top Five Largest Ethnicities In The North West / Top 7 Largest Ethnicities In The North Central / Top Ten Largest Megacities In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by FatherOfJesus: 12:48pm On Apr 12
pazienza:

Oga it is not any combination.
Unless you accept that Esan is a combination of Igbo and Esan.

Igbanke is strictly Ika, an Igboid language.
Whatever influences Esan has on Igbanke was not a one way traffic, Igbanke also exacted an Igbo influence on Esan. So if you are saying that Igbanke is Easn + Ika, then it means that Esan is Bini +Igbo (Ika). Now does this make sense to you?
Igbanke has 6 villages, not all of them are ikas
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by jamesversion: 12:49pm On Apr 12
garfield1:

2 mil in bayelsa,1.5 mil in rivers,800k in delta,400k in ondo,100k in Edo and 200k in aks

With the exception of Delta, I think your summation is fair.

Bomadi, Patani and Burutu cannot have 800k persons combined. Even gbaramatu in warri SWest included, no way is Ijaw getting 800k people. 550-600k at best.

4.5M is fair.

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Yujin(m): 12:55pm On Apr 12
FatherOfJesus:
no, igbanke is a combination of Esan and Ika.
Out of the six quarters(villages) that make us Igbanke, which part is Esan spoken?

2 Likes

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 1:12pm On Apr 12
jamesversion:

With the exception of Delta, I think your summation is fair.

Bomadi, Patani and Burutu cannot have 800k persons combined. Even gbaramatu in warri SWest included, no way is Ijaw getting 800k people. 550-600k at best.

4.5M is fair.

It is not only gbaramatu ijaws inhabit in warri SW.they inhabit 4 out of the ten wards of the lga.they also inhabit 3 out of 10 wards of warri north lga,they have enclaves in sapele,okpe
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Eteka1(m): 1:21pm On Apr 12
garfield1:

How much is calabar,odukpani and akpabuyo
Calabar Municipal, Calabar South, Akpabuyo, Bakassi, Odukpani.
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 4:56pm On Apr 12
Eteka1:
Calabar Municipal, Calabar South, Akpabuyo, Bakassi, Odukpani.

Efiks are in 5 wards of municipal,3 wards of south,8 wards of akpabuyo,4 wards of bakassi and 6 wards of odukpani.mibd you majority of the citizens of calabar and akpabuyo are settlers.
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by LifeofDream: 5:36pm On Apr 12
garfield1:

2 mil in bayelsa,1.5 mil in rivers,800k in delta,400k in ondo,100k in Edo and 200k in aks
This is the problem I have with you, where are the 400k ijaw in Ondo state?.. The Ese odo local government that you find ijaw is one of the smallest local government by population in Ondo state.. They aren't even the only one in the local government, we've some ilaje with them in same local government.

By giving ijaw 400k population in Ondo state, you're saying they're at least 10%of Ondo population?.. The Ijaw in Ondo state are less than 5% of Ondo state population..

I ask you once again, where's the ijaw population??..

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:08pm On Apr 12
LifeofDream:

This is the problem I have with you, where are the 400k ijaw in Ondo state?.. The Ese odo local government that you find ijaw is one of the smallest local government by population in Ondo state.. They aren't even the only one in the local government, we've some ilaje with them in same local government.

By giving ijaw 400k population in Ondo state, you're saying they're at least 10%of Ondo population?.. The Ijaw in Ondo state are less than 5% of Ondo state population..

I ask you once again, where's the ijaw population??..

They are also in ilaje and okitipupa
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by LifeofDream: 6:30pm On Apr 12
garfield1:

They are also in ilaje and okitipupa
If you don't know something, it's either you don't talk or ask... Which ijaw are in ilaje and okitipupa?..

The Ijaw in Ondo state are not up to 5% of the total population, they aren't even the only one that occupy the Ese-odo local government you find them..

I ask you once again, where's the ijaw population in Ondo state??..

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 6:37pm On Apr 12
LifeofDream:

If you don't know something, it's either you don't talk or ask... Which ijaw are in ilaje and okitipupa?..

The Ijaw in Ondo state are not up to 5% of the total population, they aren't even the only one that occupy the Ese-odo local government you find them..

I ask you once again, where's the ijaw population in Ondo state??..

Kingsley kuku, Isaac kekemeke are all ijaws
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by emmamajesty: 7:53pm On Apr 12
garfield1:

No, URHOBOS are the largest followed by igbos then ijaws in delta
according to what they lectured us during my NYSC time 2017 in delta state they said Igbos Speaking Delta state are more populated than any other tribes then followed by the Ijaws, urhobos before Ishekri
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 8:06pm On Apr 12
emmamajesty:
according to what they lectured us during my NYSC time 2017 in delta state they said Igbos Speaking Delta state are more populated than any other tribes then followed by the Ijaws, urhobos before Ishekri

Not true.beinf in delta alone,it is obvious that urhobos are more populous

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by LifeofDream: 1:36am On Apr 13
garfield1:

Kingsley kuku, Isaac kekemeke are all ijaws
And they tell you this men are from ilaje or okitipupa?..
once again, if you don't know something learn before lying online...

Both of the men you mentioned are from Ese odo. Anybody that tell you ijaw population in Ondo state is 5% or more is deceiving you..

I ask you again, where's the ijaw population?..

You can live 30 years in ondo and you won't meet any ijaw...

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Deadlytruth(m): 3:00am On Apr 13
garfield1:

Only in akoko edo

Even in AKOKO-EDO there are actually no indigenous Yorubas. The tribes in AKOKO-EDO are Okpameri Etuno, Uneme, Ososo, Okpe, Atteh, etc. none speaks Yoruba as mother tongue. The only Yorubas to ever exist indigenously to AKOKO-EDO are the people of Imeri who however have since 1992 been added to Ondo State where their genuine kit and kin are.

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by peleson1: 7:11am On Apr 13
Armaggedon:
Clown has entered southsouth

South south has four major ethnic groups. Namely:

Igbo (Rivers state, Delta state)

Edoid (Edo state, Urhobo, Isoko and Itshekiri)

Ijaw (Bayelsa state and about 2 LGA of rivers and 3 local government area in Delta state)

Efik/Ibibio ( Cross River and Akwa Ibom)

Of all these groups, Efik/ Ibibio are the largest occupying two state and together numbering about 8million.

Igbos come second occupying 70% of rivers state and 34% of Delta state with minority in cross River, Ika LGA of Akwa Ibom and Igbanke in Edo state. Together they number about 7.5million.

Third is Edoid groups of Bini, Afemai, Esan Urhobo, Itshekiri,Isoko etc occupying Edo and about 14 LGA of Delta state and a minority in Bayelsa. They number about 7. 3 million.

Fourth is Ijoid occupying Bayelsa (only 8 LGA) and about 2 LGA in Rivers and about 3 LGA in Delta.
Note Riverine area of Rivers state is diverse. A lot of area being ascribe to Ijaw are far from being so. Ijaw number about 4million people.

Other minority in South South are
Ogoni
Abua etc
The op is correct

There are over 12 ijaw LGA in Rivers state.
Over 3 in akwa ibom, many in delta and some in edo, bayelsa is all ijaw
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 9:38am On Apr 14
peleson1:

The op is correct

There are over 12 ijaw LGA in Rivers state.
Over 3 in akwa ibom, many in delta and some in edo, bayelsa is all ijaw

Leave that kid
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by pazienza(m): 7:48am On Apr 16
FatherOfJesus:
Igbanke has 6 villages, not all of them are ikas

All of them are ikas.

1 Like

Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Hotice085: 9:07am On Apr 16
garfield1:

Leave that kid

Name the local government areas in Aibom
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 9:16am On Apr 16
Hotice085:

Name the local government areas in Aibom

Eastern obolo and ibeno
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by Hotice085: 8:10am On Apr 17
garfield1:

Eastern obolo and ibeno

Just 2 I thought you said over 5?
Can you tell us the Ijaws local government in Rivers or is it that once you are riverine you automatically become Ijaw
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by garfield1: 8:14am On Apr 17
Hotice085:

Just 2 I thought you said over 5?
Can you tell us the Ijaws local government in Rivers or is it that once you are riverine you automatically become Ijaw

Akuku toru,asari toru,bonny,degema,okrika,ogubolo,opobo nkoro,onelga,abolga
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by hammer567: 9:00am On Apr 17
Efewestern:

If we are to go be the official gazetted groups, then you are a bit correct with your op. But I will argue that the ibibios are more than the Ijaws.

Again, I want you to understand my point of argument. There's a reason people are classified into groups. It isn't to make anyone superior or inferior. I know for a fact that the Akwa Cross region is complex, but these people are from the same stock and speak a language and have a culture that is nearly similar. It is not out of place to group these people as one, same way it's not out of place to group the Urhobos and Isoko as one. When you do that, you are not necessarily exacting the dominance of one over the other, but making it clear to bond that exist between these groups. There's far more what bond the Urhobo/Isoko and Efik/Ibibio/Anang that what actually separates them.

LOL

SPOKEN LIKE A DUNCE.

U LIVE NEXT TO THE IGBOS SINCE TIME IMMEMORIAL, YET MORE BOND U TO EFIK AND IBIBIO ON THE CAMEROON BORDER, WHOM U NEVER KNEW EXISTED OR SHARE CONECTION UNTIL NIGERIA HAPPENED.

U ARE IN DELTA STATE, THEY ARE IN CROSS RIVER, WHAT IS YOUR CONNECTION?

WE STILL HAVE A WHOLE BAYELSA AND RIVERS STATE, PLUS PARTS OF DELTA STATE TO CROSS.

CLAP FOR YOURSELF
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by hammer567: 9:05am On Apr 17
garfield1:
1) IJAWS: they number about 5-7 million and are found mainly in bayelsa,rivers, delta and some pockets in Edo,akwa ibom and ondo

2) IBIBIOS: they dominate akwa ibom state and are found in the three senatorial zones of the state.they have a large settler population in cross river and rivers.they number about.2.7 million

3) IGBOS: they are principally present or indigenous to delta and rivers state.to avoid confusion and controversy,I won't count Ikwerre as igbos since majority don't identify as such but I'll count other riverians like etche,omuma,oyigbo,parts of onelga,opobo nkoro,ahoada as Igbo.they number about 2.3 million.

4) URHOBOS: they dominate delta central,parts of warri,parts of sagbama in bayelsa state and number about 2.2.

5) BINIS: they dominate Edo south although some ijaws are found in a few numbers around ovia.they number about 1.5 million

6) ANNANG; they are found in 8 local governments of akwa ibom state and share similar culture with the IBIBIOS,efiks and orons.they number close to 1.4 million

7) OGONI: they are found in four lgas of rivers state and number almost a million.

cool IkWERRE: they predominate 4 lgas in rivers and number about 800,000.

9) ESAN/ISHAN; they occupy five lgas of Edo central and number about 800,000k

10) EJAGHAM: this tribe is found in Nigeria and cameroun.speaking of Nigeria,they are majorly in cross river south and central numbering close to 700k.

Notable mentions include the orons,itsekiri,isoko,ekoi, etsakor and Efiks

Mynd44
Nplfmod
Fergie001
Casualobserver
Coolambience
Mymouth
Efewestern
Cajal
Helinues
Ekpeitit

THERE IS NO SOUTHSOUTH WITHOUT IGBOS.

THE IDEA OF SOUTHSOUTH CAME FROM SIR ALEX EKWUEME.

THE GLUE HOLDING THE SS TOGETHER IS THE IGBO.

IGBO IS BY FAR THE SINGLE LARGEST GROUP THERE AND ALSO THE RICHEST IN TERM OF LANDED OIL IN RIVERS STATE, DELTA STATE.

THE IGBO SHARE BOUNDARY, BORDER, CULTURE, FOOD, LIFESTYLE AND FAMILY BLOODLINE WITH ALL THE VARIOUS GROUP IN SS.

INDIGENIOUS IGBO IS FOUND IN ALL SS STATES, FROM CROSS RIVER TO EDO STATE.

SS GROUPS ARE OUR KITH AND KIN, ANYBODY TELLING YOU OTHERWISE IS A DUNCE AND LIAR.

SS GROUPS HAVE LIVED BY OUR SIDE AS BROTHERS SINCE THE BEGINING OF TIME AND THEY WILL BE THERE UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

HATE YOUR BROTHER AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE, HE IS STILL YOUR BROTHER.
Re: Ten Largest Ethnicities In South South by hammer567: 9:11am On Apr 17
IF YOU GO TO YOUR VILLAGE, THE NEXT HOUSE IS USUALLY YOUR RELATIVE OR BROTHER.

THAT IS HOW IGBOS AND ALL THE TRIBES IN SS LIVE NEXT TO EACH OTHER FROM EDO TO CROSS RIVER.

I SEE THEM AS FAMILY AND BROTHER BECAUSE THEY WILL ALWAYS BE NEXT DOOR.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Glamazons (nigerian Women) Vying For Political Office / Critics of Islamic banking ignorant –Sharia Council / Top 10 Best Hits: From Our First Lady "her Excellency Dame Patience Jonathan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.