Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,084 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry (8157 Views)

Can A Nigerian Become A Billionaire Without Patronizing Corruption Or Politics? / Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? / How Are The Lagos Government Projects Helping The Poor & Unemployed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Horus(m): 12:15pm On Nov 18, 2011
Where are the protectionist policies in Nigeria?. Protectionism is the policy of protecting the markets, industries or jobs of one's own country, usually by restricting the entry of products or services from other countries. The more a nation create industries the more this nation use Protectionism. What about Nigeria?
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by jaybee(f): 12:23pm On Nov 18, 2011
[size=18pt]Let the Nigerian vehicle manufacturers market thier products well. i'm sure they will get patronage from Nigerians including Lagos State government. [/size]
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by logica(m): 12:39pm On Nov 18, 2011
Your posts are usually Igbo-based so I don't know why you are not agitating for sales to Igbo states. Or is it only when you want to sell that "One Nigeria" makes sense?
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by EkoIle1: 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2011
elomi:

I were to be in Innoson MD/CEO shoes this is what I would do.

Ask Lagos State and Enugu Govt to allow my company add 3-5 buses to their fleet at no cost.

After 6 months watch what will happen.

So long as the buses stand the test of time the rest is history,

BTW: Banning importation of items does not encourage competition instead creating enabling environment to compete with other brands/products.

I told a group of graduating students recently that if there is conducive atmosphere for investment in Nigeria (Power, Good transportation network etc.) vertical companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google would beg Nigerian govt to build factories in Nigeria.

Great post
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by 1forall: 1:13pm On Nov 18, 2011
That bank MD sure has a wonderful surname cheesy
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Wallie(m): 2:47pm On Nov 18, 2011
[list]
[li]Did Innoson submit a bid to Lagos to supply them with buses? If they did supply a bid, was the bid competitive? If they didn’t supply a bid or did not know of the impending demand, they should fire their business manager.[/li]
[li]Is Innoson really manufacturing the buses or are they simply assembling them? What type of warranty are they providing? [/li]
[li]Are the buses safe for mass transit or is it a rolling coffin? If they're safe, how do you know?[/li]
[li]Can Innoson guarantee spare parts when needed? Are they financially solvent to be in business during the life span of the buses sold?[/li]
[li]Does Innoson even have the capacity to meet demand?[/li]
[/list]

Lastly, I think Innoson is in a great position to be a great company but they do have a lot of work ahead of them and at some point, they will need the support of the government to take them to the next level. If I were managing Innoson, I would focus on a single segment of the auto industry that can allow the company to grow into an international company.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by DisGuy: 2:52pm On Nov 18, 2011
I would like to see the production line of Innoson, apart from their products you rarely see the inside of TV, are they being secretive or not really engaging the government and universities

And why the focus on Lagos state? Why dont they focus on their home/neighbouring states and FG?

Perhaps if they build a servicing centre in lagos and promise to employ or open training academies for lagos citizens they will get more
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by jason123: 3:07pm On Nov 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

I would like to see the production line of Innoson, apart from their products you rarely see the inside of TV, are they being secretive or not really engaging the government and universities

And why the focus on Lagos state? Why dont they focus on their home/neighbouring states and FG?

Perhaps if they build a servicing centre in lagos and promise to employ or open training academies for lagos citizens they will get more

I have to agree with that!
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Seun(m): 3:09pm On Nov 18, 2011
How many of you have bought Nigerian cars lately?
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by jason123: 3:16pm On Nov 18, 2011
Innosons needs to target the Lagos market to be popularised. Lagos is what will expose Innoson cars to Nigeria because of her unique composition and population.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Seun(m): 3:21pm On Nov 18, 2011
If you like the car so much, why not buy it for yourself instead of asking the govt to do so with valuable funds?
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by jason123: 3:26pm On Nov 18, 2011
Seun:

If you like the car so much, why not buy it for yourself instead of asking the govt to do so?

Seun, we are talking about buses here not cars. Cars will definitely need safety inspection agencies which I don't think Nigeria has but the safety of buses can be waived because most, if not all, don't go past the 60km/h mark.

Again, the advantages of a local car company is massive. There will be no need to import spare parts. Constant maintenance to the default mode(condition when bought) is almost 100% guaranteed, among others.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Nobody: 3:30pm On Nov 18, 2011
elomi:

I were to be in Innoson MD/CEO shoes this is what I would do.

Ask Lagos State and Enugu Govt to allow my company add 3-5 buses to their fleet at no cost.

After 6 months watch what will happen.

So long as the buses stand the test of time the rest is history,

BTW: Banning importation of items does not encourage competition instead creating enabling environment to compete with other brands/products.

I told a group of graduating students recently that if there is conducive atmosphere for investment in Nigeria (Power, Good transportation network etc.) vertical companies like Apple, Microsoft, Google would beg Nigerian govt to build factories in Nigeria.

Brillant idea!

Unfortunately, I got 2 non-deliverable receipts (NDRs) when I forwarded it to customercare@innosongroup.com and enquires@innosongroup.com just now. sad
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by logica(m): 4:03pm On Nov 18, 2011
jason123:

Cars will definitely need safety inspection agencies which I don't think Nigeria has but the safety of buses can be waived because most, if not all, don't go past the 60km/h mark.
Huh? Do you really know about automobile safety testing and physics at all? Have you ever heard of momentum? What does the size (mass) of a bus tell you about it's momentum even at lower speed? Is the momentum of a car traveling at 60 km/h and a bus travelling at the same speed the same? Do you know the relationship between momentum and the severity of an auto-crash? Do you think a bus which carries more human lives and will cause more damage to all surroundings should be waived when safety is concerned? Do you even believe most buses in Nigeria don't go beyond 60km/h in the first place? Jezuz.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Demdem(m): 4:22pm On Nov 18, 2011
@ Poster,

By the time the President changes all his entire Benz fleet of official cars to Innoson, we will start our discussion from there. Leadership should be by example.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 18, 2011
Demdem:

@ Poster,

By the time the President changes all his entire Benz fleet of official cars to Innoson, we will start our discussion from there. Leadership should be by example.

erm. . ., you mean elevate innoson to dizzying heights in a manner akin to what

Cameron does for Jaguar

Costing more than £200,000, the luxury Jaguar XJ X351 model is a specially modified vehicle for carrying Mr Cameron. It contains many features to stop a potential terrorist attack. The Jaguar reportedly features special bullet and bomb-proof security armour, run-flat tyres, bullet proof glass and even a self-contained oxygen supply. Allegedly it also has gun ports for security staff to return fire should the car be attacked.

or what Sarkozy does for Citreon
[flash=300,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFsEsgqI4FU?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

or what Hu Jintao  does for  the HongQi ?

You want put radical idea for Presido mind? grin
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Demdem(m): 4:41pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^^

Well, is it bad? Money given to Innosun for any additional fixture if needed will most likely remain within our shores. Once the President starts buying Innosun cars, automatically the ministers, parastatals, agencies, party leaders etc will follow suit. Governors especially those within your party should also be encouraged to. You can imagine the demand that will be on Innosun and their likes. Before this singular act by the president, we are simply deceiving ourselves.
Or is he waiting for dangote or private individuals or companies to lead?
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 18, 2011
Demdem:

^^^^

Well, is it bad? Money given to Innosun for any additional fixture if needed will most likely remain within our shores. Once the President starts buying Innosun cars, automatically the ministers, parastatals, agencies, party leaders etc will follow suit. Governors especially those within your party should also be encouraged to. You can imagine the demand that will be on Innosun and their likes. Before this singular act by the president, we are simply deceiving ourselves.

I am in full agreement with you here.
But this idea is so radical that it amounts almost to a cultural revolution in Nigeria.

If Presido so much as contemplated the prospect of giving life to this "buy local" policy you outlined, he would be initiating a full frontal assault on vested interests.
You think he is ready to be a Generalismo? grin
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Demdem(m): 5:08pm On Nov 18, 2011
^^^^^

I feel u. it wont be an easy decision however its a decision that is possible to make if appropriate things are put in place. Above all, it will be a feat that we will make us a better country eventually.
It takes a leader with big guts to effect such. i see no such thing in GEJ.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by cheikh: 5:47pm On Nov 18, 2011
ekt_bear
I doubt it is cheaper. Otherwise nobody would be begging Lagos gov't to patronize.

Anyway, let them do their own thing, manage their spending as they like

@^^ Your economic logic might sound very plausible and logical in "normal places" where accountability is taken for granted. Nevertheless, Lagos state, despite our admiration for Fashola's administration is inherently a typical Nigerian quasi-state, populated by some badly informed staff/decision makers whose [b]instincts [/b]are informed by anything "foreign" is best. We cannot rule out some underhand/corrupt activities in the initial contract hence foreign order is better for easy transfer of funds abroad(safe haven) etc. Nigeria is not an easy place to read and interpret on the surface like other places where such huge contract decisions are usually debated, scrutinised and thrown to open transparent bidding which in this case did not happen. I hope I am wrong on the bidding part of the contract grin.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by cheikh: 6:11pm On Nov 18, 2011
eGuerrilla
But this idea is so radical that it amounts almost to a cultural revolution [/b]in Nigeria.

If Presido so much as contemplated the prospect of giving life to this "buy local" policy you outlined, he would be initiating a full frontal assault on vested interests.
You think he is ready to be a[b] Generalismo?

@^^ Bro you are very on point!! grin grin The leadership are not emotionally and psychically connected to the country they claim to represent sad.

Demdem

@^^ Bro wink you mean well for the country because you are perhaps more emotionally and psychically connected to the country unlike our so called leadership hence your very incisive patriotic opinion. We cannot expect that much from our leadership/representatives otherwise looting will be reduced to a bare minimum in every sphere of our government sad. They are not about growth nor patriotic activities that enhance and add value to national life.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by GAR3TH(m): 6:29pm On Nov 18, 2011
Wallie:

[li]Is Innoson really manufacturing the buses or are they simply assembling them? What type of warranty are they providing? [/li]

Just like the other automotive plants in Nigeria Innoson does not manufacture their vehicles rather they assemble them by getting their part from abroad.

Which may have lead LGS to buy buses directly from abroad instead of consulting a middle man.

BTW i don't think innoson has the capability to mass produce their products like building 10,000 buses to meet what the LGS has approved. link
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by Afam4eva(m): 8:04pm On Nov 18, 2011
Like i said in my previous comment concerning Innoson. It's stilll a work in progress and the management is not in a hurry to massively escalate the products just yet. They're still test running it by focusing their business in Enugu, Nnewi and the east where they're based. It's good to know that the Enugu state government have taken it upon itself to patronize locally made buses in order to create employment for the population and many more incentives that accrues to the economy of the state, With time other state government will start patronizing Nigerian made good. But it will need a very good convincing for any Nigerian institution to patronize Innoson. because they feel anything from outside(even Ghana) is better than those from Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by ayex0001: 11:00am On Nov 19, 2011
Get free downloading codes, how to generate recharge card nombas, how to hack and crack, how to be a real programmer in minutes, secrets and the legit ways of making online all on
www . naijatechzone . com
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by cheikh: 8:02pm On Nov 19, 2011
Seun
If you like the car so much, why not buy it for yourself instead of asking the govt to do so with valuable funds?

@^^ How did other countries support their auto industries? Is it by buying/importing everything outright? The Japanese, Indians, South-Africans, Malaysians, Koreans and Chinese have not always produced very good vehicles and products but that did not stop them from looking inwards or supporting local industries. We should try to be a little charitable to our own, valuable funds or not. That's what economic nationalism/patriotism is about. It's a universal virtue wink. You try to incubate and protect some of your home grown industry. Every serious country implements such policy formally or covert. After all, we are on NL because it is home grown and we can identify with it hence our support wink grin despite the numerous tribal based topics.
Re: Lagos Government Is Not Patronizing Nigeria Car Industry by igbo2011(m): 1:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
The CEO had a big offer to go to Ghana but he loves his country so much and this is how the country repays him? Honestly,the government oppresses it's own people. Patronizing foreignors instead of Nigerians. Buying foreign products and letting local ones die. Zinox manufactures computers. Does every government and school use Zinox computers or Dell?

The goernment should use Innoson to develop the steel industry which will open up things for hte other industries (construction, manufacturing). This will give much neede jobs.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zenith Bank MD, Peter Amangbo Was Not Arrested (FULL DETAILS) / OVER AND UNDER 2.5 GOALs WITH BEST CHANCE OF WINNING (14WIN - 2LOSS) !! / Want To Sue Firstbank For Denying My Business Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.