Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral (53292 Views)

A Nigerian Dad's Funny Advice To Baby Goes Viral (pic, video) / Like Play, Nigerians Now Call Garri And Groundnut "Grocery & Floating Berry" / Nigerian Lady Poses With Cucumbers On Facebook, Goes Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Hoelujohn: 6:38pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Minimum wage then was 80 naira a month.

So that list doesn’t prove anything.

Children posting rubbish.

Back then those prices were expensive for the common man.

Even in the 1980s, my pocket money for a whole semester at university was 500 naira, and it was more than enough for everything including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday etc..
Minimum wage was actually #125 then. The year suggest 1984. That was actually when there was a great recession in Nigeria and items were scarce. People have to be on queues for hours to get some basic house hold items.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Mariangeles(f): 6:38pm On Apr 15
The comments on this thread are very interesting.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Cantonese: 6:39pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Even in the 1980s, my pocket money for a whole semester at university was 500 naira, and it was more than enough for everything including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday etc..

Stop being economical with the truth please. That list must have been made at about 1988. Earlier than then in about 1980, the prices would have been cheaper. For your information, as of 1983, a 12.5 kg of gas was at 2.50 kobo.

The minimum wage as of those periods when that list was made revolved between 125 naira and 300 naira, depending on the year referred in that decade. There are payslips to show.

Even at that, life was much better. There was dignity. There was honor. There was integrity. There was peace and satisfaction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by oluwaseyi0: 6:39pm On Apr 15
Blitzerz:

Keep quiet 🤫
Defender of evil.

Kids like you who didn't know it was far worse in the 80s are the one that voted Buhari

Even if you were not born then at least you are not an orphan your parents should at least lecture you some history

Everything is not emotion or politics, learn some basic history young lad

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Untube: 6:40pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Good, I agree with you that the minimum wage was 80naira then but can we afford what's on that list with the current minimum wage? With about 4 items on that list, 30k don finish 😂

FYI, those items will last for the whole month coz I could recollect in the late 80s, we restock house once, and it last till next month. The honest truth is that the present minimum wage can't even last a family of 5 for 4days as against 30days in the 80s and 90s.

Let's pray for a better Nigeria, and stop fooling ourselves while we supporting all these yeye politicians 👌✌️

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by annyz: 6:41pm On Apr 15
Omoawoke:
Days when women submit to their husbands
Days whLen marriage rarely breaks

When men go out to Hussle and bring back food while women stay back and take care of the home.

But now both men and women Hussle to make ends meet.

Who go submit to who now even if she be house wife
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Untube: 6:44pm On Apr 15
Cantonese:

Stop being economical with the truth please. That list must have been made at about 1988. Earlier than then in about 1980, the prices would have been cheaper. For your information, as of 1983, a 12.5 kg of gas was at 2.50 kobo.

The minimum wage as of those periods when that list was made revolved between 125 naira and 300 naira, depending on the year referred in that decade. There are payslips to show.

Even at that, life was much better. There was dignity. There was honor. There was integrity. There was peace and satisfaction.

Apt, we need to stop pretending as all is well and face reality. What can 30k afford in this present economy? Can't even feed a family of 5 for a week. Personally, I spent over 30k on fuel weekly. Things are tougher now but we should continue to pray for better Nigeria 👌✌️

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by nairalanda1(m): 6:44pm On Apr 15
annyz:

When men go out to Hussle and bring back food while women stay back and take care of the home.

IN the 1980's many men and women were both hustling. And both men and wife had jobs. Especially under the sap economy of IBB.

Nothing like housewife. Even housewife most likely had a small shop selling things in front of the house.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by oluwaseyi0: 6:44pm On Apr 15
Cantonese:

The minimum wage as of those periods when that list was made revolved between 250 naira and 300 naira.

Dignity in the 80s grin grin grin maybe you are talking about late 90s and early 2000s when Obasanjo took power and multiply salary by almost 5

The 80s is a dark section in the Nigeria history, same decade Buhari and idiagbon military were wiping this ass of citizens anyhow, same years people literally queue to buy ordinary bread, how many people can afford car, only 1% of the 1%

Go home and let your people lecture you about the horrors of 1980s, everything is not politics or emotions, learn young lad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by MuslimIgbo: 6:46pm On Apr 15
UHLmoving:
bread was 2 Naira. Lol

Today it's 2,000 Naira

Thank God for Igbo

Weyrey
Thank God for Igbo wey you dey smoke
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by MrBONE2(m): 6:47pm On Apr 15
oz4real83:
Things never remain the same whenever Buhari takes hold of power, both in the 1980s and 2005-2023 embarassed, if this same woman makes a post about the same items just a few years after her first list when Buhari was in power, she would have observed far higher prices, Buhari should never have been allowed near govt lipsrsealed

cheesy

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by oluwaseyi0: 6:48pm On Apr 15
UHLmoving:
bread was 2 Naira. Lol

Today it's 2,000 Naira

Thank God for Igbo

Thank God for Igbo (as in tribe) or thank God for Igbo (as in colos)?

Please add more context, do you smoke Igbo I'm place of eating bread? Or why thanking god for it
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Omoawoke: 6:48pm On Apr 15
annyz:

When I get married, I’m ain’t mounting any pressure or expecting my wife to work as much as I do… she can do the minimum if she wishes and if she has extra capacity…. To manage a home and kids is enough work already… that’s why I they hustle make no woman no come tell me say she dey work and paying bills too… come dey disrespect me
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Mariangeles(f): 6:51pm On Apr 15
Omoawoke:
Days when women submit to their husbands
Days when marriage rarely breaks

Days when men provided for their families.
Days when men left for work, and went straight home to their families after close of work.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by FireUpNow(m): 6:56pm On Apr 15
For that woman to spend that huge sum on groceries, her husband must be a very rich man. Though in the early 90s #20 was enough to tcary a secondary school student from Monday to Friday. Life don spoil sha.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Lamasta(m): 7:00pm On Apr 15
Good old days
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Sirtee19: 7:08pm On Apr 15
I can relate very well. In 1984 when I was still in secondary school, a bag of rice was N70, a cartoon of vegetable oil was N39, while a cartoon of milk was N26 (96 pieces).While I was in the university in early 90s, I do normally use N10 to cook a pot of stew with Titus fish. Indeed there was a country.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by toujurs: 7:08pm On Apr 15
Racoon:
Water go the run away from the eyes of that woman in today's Nigeria destroyed by wicked souls.
like they weren't voted for. .

It's the coward's who votes these leaders, that are the problem
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Lanre1st(m): 7:08pm On Apr 15
NwaNimo1:
It was still costly.....so milk cost pass meat in price allocation?

...she inflated!

Do you go to market to buy a tin of milk? It will be dozen or pack, so how come it will not mor than price of meat. Everything is not lie
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Slytiger: 7:17pm On Apr 15
Before the military destroyed our democracy even further.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by NwaNimo1(m): 7:19pm On Apr 15
Lanre1st:

Do you go to market to buy a tin of milk? It will be dozen or pack, so how come it will not mor than price of meat. Everything is not lie

Powdered milk we dey chop dem timez
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by DOM7: 7:19pm On Apr 15
Unfortunately the economy is destroyed by those we trusted them to better better the country, even those that tested the good old days.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by kikake: 7:21pm On Apr 15
oz4real83:
Things never remain the same whenever Buhari takes hold of power, both in the 1980s and 2005-2023 embarassed, if this same woman makes a post about the same items just a few years after her first list when Buhari was in power, she would have observed far higher prices, Buhari should never have been allowed near govt lipsrsealed
Exact. Disater/Poverty is another name for Buhari regarding wellbeing in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by CHAQUR: 7:22pm On Apr 15
Add two zeros to get the current value..eg. Cassava ₦8.50 = ₦85,000.
Rice ₦3.60 = ₦36,000 (probably half bag).

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Timmi: 7:25pm On Apr 15
omoredia:
Emi lo kan people will never die well

Do you know how you will die? Senseless omorada rada, why don’t you go back to the 1980, may be, just may be, you might have some sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by wiseoneking: 7:26pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Nonsense, just find out the prices of thesame item in the US dollars which is it’s equivalent then. It just slightly changed in that of the Dollar compared to over a thousand increase in naira. Today, an American pocket money should still be what? You guys should stop sustaining hypocrisy. Things has really gone bad.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by IntelLord: 7:28pm On Apr 15
nairalanda1:

Economy was bad back then. Naira was falling back then.

NO, I am not defending APC Mess up. But I can tell you that the economy in the 1980's was not good. It was awful. SAP made it worse, and the fun thing about SAP that if we had not implemented it, it would have been ten times worse.

Read Adiche's Americanah. The early chapters give a good idea about how bad the economy was. I was almost crying with laughter when I read that part of the book. Plus nostalgia.

Please, have you got a copy of the book? Can you share the ebook here? I'd like to read it. That author's books are interesting to read.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by davmore750(m): 7:38pm On Apr 15
Things are the same my father's salary 1980-85 was #100 nothing change

Even in the 1980s, my pocket money for a whole semester at university was 500 naira, and it was more than enough for everything including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday etc..[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Omoawoke: 7:39pm On Apr 15
Mariangeles:

Days when men provided for their families.
Days when men left for work, and went straight home to their families after close of work.

You are right!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Seagodess(f): 7:48pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

how old are you now
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by sulakishop(m): 7:48pm On Apr 15
Bloggers and lies...

Totally fake list

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Shares Free Food To Lagos Residents. Photos / This Snake Was Killed And Butchered In Our Generator House Yesterday Night / Crocodile Barbeque Served Somewhere In Abuja! (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.