Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,783 members, 7,813,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:31 PM

Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral (53284 Views)

A Nigerian Dad's Funny Advice To Baby Goes Viral (pic, video) / Like Play, Nigerians Now Call Garri And Groundnut "Grocery & Floating Berry" / Nigerian Lady Poses With Cucumbers On Facebook, Goes Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by delpee(f): 7:52pm On Apr 15
Some people are surprised. Well, salary for fresh graduates in the early 80s was usually between 4000 to 6000 naira per annum depending on the sector. That comes to about 300 naira plus per month, so spending 100 naira on basic items is in order. A gallon of Kings oil was about 3.50 naira around that time for instance.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Cantonese: 7:52pm On Apr 15
oluwaseyi0:

Dignity in the 80s grin grin grin maybe you are talking about late 90s and early 2000s when Obasanjo took power and multiply salary by almost 5

The 80s is a dark section in the Nigeria history, same decade Buhari and idiagbon military were wiping this ass of citizens anyhow, same years people literally queue to buy ordinary bread, how many people can afford car, only 1% of the 1%

Go home and let your people lecture you about the horrors of 1980s, everything is not politics or emotions, learn young lad

Thank you for calling me a young lad o.

Old man, how old were you when Buhari seized power in 1983?
How old were you when he was pushed out by Buhari?
How old was a bottles of coke, gulder and star in 1984?
What was the exchange rate of either the pound or dollar to the naira in 1984 and in 1990?
Where were the branches of Kingsway rendezvous in Lagos? What became of them?

Please old man provide the answers and then I will tell you how dignifying life was even in between Gowon and Buhari's military leadership.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Cantonese: 7:53pm On Apr 15
Untube:

Apt, we need to stop pretending as all is well and face reality. What can 30k afford in this present economy? Can't even feed a family of 5 for a week. Personally, I spent over 30k on fuel weekly. Things are tougher now but we should continue to pray for better Nigeria 👌✌️

Thanks bro.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by delpee(f): 7:57pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Minimum wage then was 80 naira a month.

So that list doesn’t prove anything.

Children posting rubbish.

Back then those prices were expensive for the common man.

Even in the 1980s, my pocket money for a whole semester at university was 500 naira, and it was more than enough for everything including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday etc..

500 naira bursary covered school fees, accommodation and feeding for a session for indigent students. Accommodation was 90 naira, meal ticket booklet for 3 meals a day was 45 naira for a month. No tuition fees.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by deavicky(m): 7:58pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Even in the 1980s, my pocket money for a whole semester at university was 500 naira, and it was more than enough for everything including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday etc..
still with ur analysis it's till not balance, because if u multiple everything on that list by 320 it is still far better.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by PHAYOL81: 8:00pm On Apr 15
See propaganda. The person no sabi lie self. Mtsheeeeew
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by remsonik(f): 8:01pm On Apr 15
Even in the late 80s and 90s I can see plenty coins of 50kobo,1naira in my dad's wardrobe. I could remember a tablespoon of sugar was sold at 20kobo,I am always given 5naira to take to school in my primary school days and will get soya milk ,rice and wara soya/egg with water as my food during break time.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by ogastone(m): 8:11pm On Apr 15
A lady born then is 44yrs now an old woman
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by SweetDipBenny(m): 8:12pm On Apr 15
NwaNimo1:
It was still costly.....so milk cost pass meat in price allocation?

...she inflated!
People like you, even if they say milk na free, you still won't be satisfied grin
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Blitzerz: 8:13pm On Apr 15
nairalanda1:

He is right.

Yes, APC is shit, and I would never vote for them

But I was alive in the 1980's. I know it was hard back then. Very hard.
Who brought back the buhari of the 80s?

Not same apc? Msssheew
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Blackdisciple(m): 8:14pm On Apr 15
What I will say is gone are those days not these days that we are ruled by wicked souls ..

Coming to travel on road from one state to another direction movement I'm paying 23k ...
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by ambale(m): 8:15pm On Apr 15
inoki247:
Lol doz years how many people make am....

Cement was so cheap and people are still building mud house and Face me and Face u house ...

Now things are cost buh people can still afford dem you will hardly see someone with face me and face you plan this days everybody that can afford cement wants to build flat or mansion...

If dem tell most you always doing this comparison to go back in time to doz Years you won't spend a week before you run back to this present year....

You lied, many people made it then, even na Dem still plenty pass till now

How many young men dey make am legitimately these days?

Some of our fathers then balled like tomorrow no dey

We don't even have money for balling again

So what exactly are you saying?
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Blitzerz: 8:16pm On Apr 15
oluwaseyi0:

Kids like you who didn't know it was far worse in the 80s are the one that voted Buhari

Even if you were not born then at least you are not an orphan your parents should at least lecture you some history

Everything is not emotion or politics, learn some basic history young lad
Sharap.
A civil servant in the 80s can comfortably send 4 kids to school without sourcing for money....
Many were even buying brand new peugeots from assembly plants that were fully functional because of the average good purchasing power.....

Go and lecture yourself o
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by nairalanda1(m): 8:16pm On Apr 15
Blitzerz:

Who brought back the buhari of the 80s?

Not same apc? Msssheew

Yes, and it still doesn't change the fact that things were hard in the 1980s and things are hard under APC
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by mightyhazel: 8:16pm On Apr 15
Lol

Inflation don even set in here..

Wen fela sing water, light,food,house

He complained that bread was tarty Kobo (30kobo) for 1 grin
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by ambale(m): 8:17pm On Apr 15
oluwaseyi0:
this is how you know kids on this forum

that 90 is fuccking damn hard to see in the 80s, it's more than minimum wage

life was never better in the past, in fact it was way more horrible, now you see average people driving car then even a secondary school principal cannot afford 504 car

Baba no let us go too far, in 2012 when I no get work, I do ball daily, now wey I dey work full time I no dey even see money but cloth

So what are you saying exactly

Country is so fucking bad and we don't need to pretend about this at all
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Mandesz(m): 8:19pm On Apr 15
CodeTemplar:
That can be a 2024 stunt written on old note.
How can u be this unwise? So u cant even recognize if an old paper was used to write.
U must be a robot!
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Boyjaco: 8:27pm On Apr 15
fact remain so many of them are still here today with us and that include my mum 1980 no far na
Racoon:
Water go the run away from the eyes of that woman in today's Nigeria destroyed by wicked souls.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Everydaylove: 8:29pm On Apr 15
I m in love with the handwriting.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by inoki247: 8:39pm On Apr 15
ambale:

You lied, many people made it then, even na Dem still plenty pass till now

How many young men dey make am legitimately these days?

Some of our fathers then balled like tomorrow no dey

We don't even have money for balling again

So what exactly are you saying?

You're the one who didn't know what you're saying with price of Peugout then people wey get Peugout motor no reach 1m people now even dog fit buy car even if na accidented.....

U will get to one street u will know the rich man derr almost all street is subjected to only one rich man not now that your neighbor, friend will be Millionaire una no go see una sef reason....
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by KennethOkonkwo: 8:49pm On Apr 15
Racoon:
Water go the run away from the eyes of that woman in today's Nigeria destroyed by wicked souls.
So why didn't he build a refinery them.
How easy was it to make 10naira in 1980s?
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by DIVINEEVIDENCE: 8:57pm On Apr 15
jazzman7711:
Yawn….

Draw up a student budget for everything today including catching cruise, shacking beer everyday for a full semester and see if it wouldn't be equal to half a million Naira or more.

How many parents today would afford that as pocket money for their kids?
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Blitzerz: 8:57pm On Apr 15
nairalanda1:

Yes, and it still doesn't change the fact that things were hard in the 1980s and things are hard under APC
The same 80s when civil servants could buy new peugeot cars from PAN and send their children to school without begging?

You are not up to date.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Hezmatosky: 9:19pm On Apr 15
The day I know that naija has spoil kpatakpata was the day I bought two Milo and two Dano for 600 naira shocked
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by bluefilm: 9:20pm On Apr 15
So no be today cassava and yam became the top priority of these Agbadorians?
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by ignis: 9:23pm On Apr 15
thatigboman:
they say 1980 not 1680

What did I write ?
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by tommy589(m): 9:24pm On Apr 15
delpee:
Some people are surprised. Well, salary for fresh graduates in the early 80s was usually between 4000 to 6000 naira per annum depending on the sector. That comes to about 300 naira plus per month, so spending 100 naira on basic items is in order. A gallon of Kings oil was about was3.50 naira around that time for instance.

I don't know Kings oil was in existence then. The popular oil was sunflower oil and I remember buying it at 2.50 naira in '84,including American long grain rice at 52 naira. I cannot remember the shelf price but the purchase was from the essential commodities impounded by soldiers from "hoarders"

My memory was fuzzy and you are right. The brand was known as kings sunflower oil then
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Ngaljau11: 9:28pm On Apr 15
what makes you guys think there was ever a time when Nigeria was better
if that woman were to be alive and you get to hear her side of the story of how she earned that 100 naira kya
how many families back then do you think were able to afford that
if things were cheap back then, why didn't everybody lived a happy life
if a car was sold at 30naira and we think it's cheap and a better Niger, then why is it that not all parents were able to afford it
the truth Niger had never been better, just that generations keep modifying same as the currencies
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by ComeToJesus: 9:30pm On Apr 15
Even under the wobbling and fumbling PDP, life was still good for Nigerians until these funeral undertakers known as APC stole their way into government.

A group of the worsts who have no idea about governance.

It started with the worst President in the history of Nigeria, the dull Bubu and reached its crescendo with the current pretenders in office.

From Obasanjo to the good soul Yaradua (may God bless his soul) to GEJ, Nigerians still had dignity and almost everyone lived reasonably well.

Enter the the economic mediocres and governance misfits, the party that superintendended over the looting, pillaging and crass vandalisation of the public till, the party that will go down as the most clueless and unprepared assemblage of economic buccaneers, who pirated the ship of Nigerian state at sea, the APC, who gleefully selected the reverse gear of the ship of state and sailed her to Bermuda triangle.

Took the naira/dollar from 200/1 dollar and massacred it to 1700naira/1 dollar in just about 9 years. Managed to bring it down to about 1000/1 usd this month and is celebrating as if it reduced it to what the PDP handed over to them in 2015(200).

Turned Nigerians to beggars.

May God Almighty judge them.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by pafun(m): 9:37pm On Apr 15
In 1980 a graduate's salary was less than N350.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by marticeus(m): 9:43pm On Apr 15
Which bread was 2.00 Naira at that time ?, big lie
Bread was selling between 10kobo to 25 kobo, the big loaves was 40 kobo.
Re: Nigerian Housewife’s 1980s Grocery List Goes Viral by Quebec91(m): 9:44pm On Apr 15
I tell you man
Omoawoke:
Days when women submit to their husbands
Days when marriage rarely breaks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Shares Free Food To Lagos Residents. Photos / Crocodile Barbeque Served Somewhere In Abuja! (vid) / This Snake Was Killed And Butchered In Our Generator House Yesterday Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.