Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,540 members, 7,816,314 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 AM

Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries (12345 Views)

FG Workers To Start Receiving January Salary – AGF / Jumia Sacks 900 Workers To Reduce Cost Of Operation / Twitter Asks Some Sacked Workers To Please Come Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 4:20pm On Apr 16
BigDawsNet:

Why don't u continue to learn that tech...

One day it may be useful oh

The more u practise, the more you become pro
When u Pro... na job go dey find u

I need a source of income as soon as possible.
And there are a lot of entry level roles in other fields that tech doesn't promise.

2 Likes

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by MT: 4:31pm On Apr 16
Albertone:

Supply is greater than demand but you will not listen.
I saw a remote software engineering role posted on LinkedIn. Within 6 hours, it garnered over 1k applications.

Are you into tech and how long have you been?

For over 1k to apply for a tech job doesn't mean it's saturated. Lot of them are "wannabes".

Majority of those who apply for a job are not fit . Individuals that still focus on syntax of a language, individuals that uses "class" but doesn't know what it does, individuals that don't know why and when to use "abstract class" as against "interface", individuals that have academic knowledge of "abstraction" and "polymorphism" etc.

If you want to be a software engineer, you need to see programming language like a human language. Some humans speak and write English like a toddler while some do like Shakespeare.

There lies your difference.

The benchmark you used to support your case was very faulty.

8 Likes

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by CodeTemplar: 4:31pm On Apr 16
Diminishing return.

2 Likes

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by NaijaphiliaBlog: 4:31pm On Apr 16
Sortm:
The problem with most tech startup CEOs is that they really don't understand business theories and ethics.

Many are just after the funding and once they get it they begin to employ all employ-ables and pay huge salary without considering that business is structured on making profit.

This often leads to the crash of startups.

Business has it's principles and processes.

Absolutely correct!
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by MT: 4:57pm On Apr 16
Albertone:

He was asking me about Big 4 accounting firms.

Oh ok
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Akinpresident: 5:02pm On Apr 16
Sortm:
The problem with most tech startup CEOs is that they really don't understand business theories and ethics.

Many are just after the funding and once they get it they begin to employ all employ-ables and pay huge salary without considering that business is structured on making profit.

This often leads to the crash of startups.

Business has it's principles and processes.

That's particularly what's killing startups.
They forget the business part and start doing the makeup part.

You're not making money, but you have 3 product designers plus a product manager, you have a data analyst and a project manager, you have a developer for each programming language you use in your tech stack instead of hiring a fullstack at once, you have a marketing manager, social media manager, community manager, you have admin, you have HR, you have everything haveable, yet, no single revenue is coming in.
It's just fancy office and maybe sponsoring one nonsense that'll give you social media clout.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by emkz: 5:02pm On Apr 16
Sheuns:

Nigerian startups waste so much money on unnecessary ventures. They hope to get seeds funding to remain relevant.

Like, how does such expenditure on salaries make sense? Which investor would want to invest money on such?

I think the reason many of these starts-up fold is lack of a viable and sustainable plan. Sometimes, when I hear the things they do or intend to do with their start up, I wonder if they take themselves seriously.

2 Likes

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by OvertheTop(m): 5:14pm On Apr 16
Homiesjinxbank:
The useful idiot earned #500,000 per month and he said the money isn't great!!

The New Money wasn't Great (less than his Previous 500k)
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by kingimmade: 6:26pm On Apr 16
hmm
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 6:33pm On Apr 16
Albertone:
Junior developer roles now require 3-5 years of work experience with knowledge requirements of a whole IT department.

[b[Me I have dropped tech already o.
I'll look into investment banking or write ICAN and go the big 4 way.

I was learning tech so I can japa. But if God says I will japa, I'll definitely do with my investment banking or auditing knowledge. [/b]

LMAO. grin

Why did you drop though? That was your 50% sure bet of going up the zenith.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by UyaiIncomparabl(f): 6:37pm On Apr 16
Homiesjinxbank:
The useful idiot earned #500,000 per month and he said the money isn't great!!

Why call him an idiot? I'm somehow pushed to call you daft, but I will let it slide.

Do you know that your more is another person’s less?
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 9:20pm On Apr 16
UyaiIncomparabl:

LMAO. grin

Why did you drop though? That was your 50% sure bet of going up the zenith.

It's a tough market that requires high level skills and years of experience. Gone are the days of entry level jobs. Even internships are so scarce.

Also, no hope of being able to earn within 1 year of learning. If I don't earn, how can I learn? Tech bro gats to chop na.

The abroad I want to go to, those there are complaining that they send 300+ applications and got less than 10 interviews. Nigeria here, you can't even see up to 50 openings to apply to.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 9:23pm On Apr 16
MT:

Are you into tech and how long have you been?

For over 1k to apply for a tech job doesn't mean it's saturated. Lot of them are "wannabes".

Majority of those who apply for a job are not fit . Individuals that still focus on syntax of a language, individuals that uses "class" but doesn't know what it does, individuals that don't know why and when to use "abstract class" as against "interface", individuals that have academic knowledge of "abstraction" and "polymorphism" etc.

If you want to be a software engineer, you need to see programming language like a human language. Some humans speak and write English like a toddler while some do like Shakespeare.

There lies your difference.

The benchmark you used to support your case was very faulty.

Out of the more than 1k applications, do you think the hiring managers have time to go through all? Note that they may want to hire just 5 devs.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by blaze83(m): 9:54pm On Apr 16
MT:

What is your tech stack?

If you are good, I will link you up to a financial institution in Nigeria.

They just hired 7 newbies yesterday with a minimum salary of 500k per month.

You have to show lots of potentials during the interview. Are you ready?

Baba please link me up biko.

I am a product designer and product manager with 4 years experience. I have designed and managed fintech applications that are currently live and being used by thousands of users.

Link me up biko
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by surzkidoo: 10:39pm On Apr 16
MT:

What is your tech stack?

Which stack?
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Nefort: 10:41pm On Apr 16
MT:

I am in tech with many years of experience.

I am a Software architect for enterprise solutions , I code, I provision infrastructure, I optimise Database, I do data science and analysis, work on machine learning projects, build CI/CD pipelines etc

I work on different multi million dollars projects in various western countries and I own a tech IT firm of my own in the States.

So I am an authority in my field.

IT keeps looking for skilled personnel, aggressively.
If you live in the United States then it is a totally different environment and it is easier to get a job over there. But in Nigeria which the article focuses on, it is very difficult getting tech jobs that pay well.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Nefort: 10:44pm On Apr 16
MT:

What is your tech stack?

I am ready. Please kindly link me up. I have 9 years experience as a software engineer and it is still difficult for me to get in job in Nigeria.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Nefort: 10:48pm On Apr 16
MT:

I don't need to.

I insist if someone needs to send 300+ applications to land an interview, he is not well skilled in tech.
It depends on your location.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by rilKurlinz: 6:27am On Apr 17
MT:

Can you please state exactly what you can do with Sql server ?

Good morning Boss
So sorry I'm replying diz late (I haven't bin online)....

In my field (SQL server) as a DBA,
I manage various server whc include taking back when necessary, migrating of Databases from one server to anoda, giving da necessary permission (login/access to Databases/Instance) to da rightful clients.
I manage da entire DB security which includes TDE (TRANSPARENT DATA ENCRYPTION), Always encrypted, Login wahala from client end to da server. Securing data file at rest (backup files)....
Installation, configurations setting up Ms SQL server 2008-2019, expertise in Always-on Availability Group log shiping and Replication....
Strong hands on performance turning and monitoring of da server etc.....

Na my WhatsApp bi diz
Zero8zero-6262-zero448
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by jaywon442: 9:18am On Apr 17
Albertone:

Gone are the days of newbies with potentials easily getting recruited.
Which newbie can compete against people with > 5 years of work experience?

Even in the US where a lot of opportunities abound, some computer science grads with experience send about 300+ applications and get less than 10 interviews.

How many roles are open in Nigeria?
. This is one of the guys here that know what is happening. The global downsizing in tech in many well to do countries has been lingering since the gradual restoration of normalcy resulting from covid which affected many sectors and strongly tech. The ris of Ai as compounded this. Ai is coming for every job including Ai itself.

1 Like

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by jaywon442: 9:23am On Apr 17
MT:

I am in tech with many years of experience.

I am a Software architect for enterprise solutions , I code, I provision infrastructure, I optimise Database, I do data science and analysis, work on machine learning projects, build CI/CD pipelines etc

I work on different multi million dollars projects in various western countries and I own a tech IT firm of my own in the States.

So I am an authority in my field.

IT keeps looking for skilled personnel, aggressively.
. Connect me I beg
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by kayttah(m): 12:41pm On Apr 17
blaze83:

Baba please link me up biko.

I am a product designer and product manager with 4 years experience. I have designed and managed fintech applications that are currently live and being used by thousands of users.

Link me up biko

I'm a product designer as well. Thinking of building my own product(s). Got couple of dev friends I can work with to try and solve a problem digitally.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by omotola90(m): 2:38pm On Apr 17
Albertone:

Age is a factor.
27/28/29 maximum.
for experienced hire, I don't think so

1 Like

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 9:39pm On Apr 17
omotola90:
for experienced hire, I don't think so

Sure I was talking about entry level. For you to cross from a career in STEM, you're definitely not an experienced hire.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:00pm On Apr 18
Albertone:
Junior developer roles now require 3-5 years of work experience with knowledge requirements of a whole IT department.

Me I have dropped tech already o.
I'll look into investment banking or write ICAN and go the big 4 way.

I was learning tech so I can japa. But if God says I will japa, I'll definitely do with my investment banking or auditing knowledge.

Finance is 100 times harder to break into than tech.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 8:58pm On Apr 18
tensazangetsu20:

Finance is 100 times harder to break into than tech.

I disagree.

In finance, meeting the requirements for entry level roles is easier. Once you meet the requirements, the rest is how you perform at the screening.
Requirements like: Minimum of 2:1 in any field of study, less than age 27/28/29 etc.

But for tech, entry level role requirements now was experienced hire requirements previously.
Why will any company be requesting 3-5 YOE for a junior dev role?

I swear I saw an internship position in tech requiring 1-2 YOE. WTF!!
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:32pm On Apr 18
Albertone:

I disagree.

In finance, meeting the requirements for entry level roles is easier. Once you meet the requirements, the rest is how you perform at the screening.
Requirements like: Minimum of 2:1 in any field of study, less than age 27/28/29 etc.

But for tech, entry level role requirements now was experienced hire requirements previously.
Why will any company be requesting 3-5 YOE for a junior dev role?

I swear I saw an internship position in tech requiring 1-2 YOE. WTF!!

Lol you think? You know how many people are fighting for the big 4 jobs lol.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 10:44pm On Apr 18
tensazangetsu20:

Sure I know.
But big 4 is always recruiting rather than downsizing as seen in tech.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:59pm On Apr 18
Albertone:

Sure I know.

Tech too is always recruiting it's just that the economy of Nigeria isn't as good as it used to be and remote jobs aren't easy to get due to the infrastructure level in Nigeria but finance isn't an easy way out at all. It's very competitive.

1 Like

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Gerrard59(m): 2:47am On Apr 19
tensazangetsu20:

76K+ people applied for PwC recruitment in 2019. This outstripped the over 42K+ who applied for Seplat graduate trainee within the same period. grin grin

Albertone:

Sure I know.

Because it has a high turnover. The exodus of skilled Nigerian workers to Canada before this their high cost of living had those firms lose a lot of workers.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:18am On Apr 19
Gerrard59:

76K+ people applied for PwC recruitment in 2019. This outstripped the over 42K+ who applied for Seplat graduate trainee within the same period. grin grin

Because it has a high turnover. The exodus of skilled Nigerian workers to Canada before this their high cost of living had those firms lose a lot of workers.

Lol I am surprised that someone sees finance as an easy option to tech lol grin grin grin
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 7:06am On Apr 19
Gerrard59:

The high turnover is paired with more recruitment which makes it easier to break into unlike tech.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service / Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.