Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,643 members, 7,816,646 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries (12352 Views)

FG Workers To Start Receiving January Salary – AGF / Jumia Sacks 900 Workers To Reduce Cost Of Operation / Twitter Asks Some Sacked Workers To Please Come Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Gerrard59(m): 7:40am On Apr 19
Albertone:

The high turnover is paired with more recruitment which makes it easier to break into unlike tech.

Tech is more accessible to break in than finance. This is a global phenomenon as tech is egalitarian, and cares less about the school, grade and course of study. Finance and its close sister Law are among the most elitist careers on earth. KPMG does not accept folks with two sittings in WASSCE and strictly five credits. Some finance companies discriminate based on university. Others discriminate based on grades. Tech is easier to break for literally anyone serious about learning.

Finance is an elitist industry o. If not tech, many folks from poorer backgrounds would not have earned high salaries, ditto those with lower grades from the university.

4 Likes

Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 11:11am On Apr 19
Gerrard59:

Tech is more accessible to break in than finance. This is a global phenomenon as tech is egalitarian, and cares less about the school, grade and course of study. Finance and its close sister Law are among the most elitist careers on earth. KPMG does not accept folks with two sittings in WASSCE and strictly five credits. Some finance companies discriminate based on university. Others discriminate based on grades. Tech is easier to break for literally anyone serious about learning.

Finance is an elitist industry o. If not tech, many folks from poorer backgrounds would not have earned high salaries, ditto those with lower grades from the university.

I guess we'll just have to go for whichever we have an advantage in breaking into.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by oluwaseyi0: 7:06am On Apr 20
Procashtips:

Then none of you were truly into real time tech if this is the best you lot could fall back to.

Gospel truth!

they probably never finished HTML and CSS tutorial, the highest role they ever got is probably an intern at a new startup
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by lavylilly: 12:37pm On Apr 21
Albertone:
Junior developer roles now require 3-5 years of work experience with knowledge requirements of a whole IT department.

Me I have dropped tech already o.
I'll look into investment banking or write ICAN and go the big 4 way.

I was learning tech so I can japa. But if God says I will japa, I'll definitely do with my investment banking or auditing knowledge.
if you are older than 25 years the Big 4 wouldn't take you
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by lavylilly: 12:41pm On Apr 21
Earthquakes:
Every IT expert I know has either left or planning to leave, leaving only starters or inexperienced.
Same in medical field, I wonder where the future of Nigeria lies
Even in finance field very few are currently available. The Big 4 is filled with a lot of work because most of their staff have japa'ed.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by lavylilly: 12:44pm On Apr 21
A good example of the bolded is tech4mation and Timart
Sheuns:
Nigerian Startups will be paying millions of naira in salaries while generating way less than what they pay in revenue. Most startups hope on funding to stay afloat. I think this is wrong in running a business. Fine offices, big salaries and very little revenue.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by lavylilly: 12:45pm On Apr 21
A good example of the bolded is tech4mation (this place is toxicity exemplified) and Timart (they are using loans to stay afloat)
Sheuns:
Nigerian Startups will be paying millions of naira in salaries while generating way less than what they pay in revenue. Most startups hope on funding to stay afloat. I think this is wrong in running a business. Fine offices, big salaries and very little revenue.
Re: Layoffs And Job Security Force Nigeria’s Tech Workers To Traditional Industries by Albertone(m): 1:01pm On Apr 21
lavylilly:
if you are older than 25 years the Big 4 wouldn't take you

Requirements vary across the four of them. I have seen one that accepts < 29 years. Another accepts < 27

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Would You Rather "work For Somebody" Or "work With Somebody" / Difficulty Upgrading Certificate In State Civil Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.